Could We See A Dr. Strange Movie By Pixar?

• 78 results
Posted by G-Man (36715 posts) - - Show Bio
There's been rumblings over a Doctor Strange movie recently. We know Marvel is looking to pushing out some of their lesser known characters into new movie franchises. It makes perfect sense that Disney would especially want to do this after they made their big purchase of Marvel. We've also heard that Stan Lee mentioned doing a cameo in the Doctor Strange movie even though we haven't heard anything official about it. 

The latest buzz about the movie according to Empire and Spider-Man: Fever writer, Brendan McCarthy is that Pixar might be doing an animated version of Doctor Strange. 

Could this be what Disney has plan for the Sorcerer Supreme? We haven't seen a full Disney-produced Marvel movie. Will they attempt to bring Strange to theaters with Pixar's help? Would Pixar make a movie on a property they didn't create? What exactly did McCarthy hear when he was "in Hollywood"? 
 == TEASER == 
Apparently McCarthy let it slip: 

"I was over in Hollywood earlier this year, mooching about, and I had a meeting at Disney, and the conversation drifted around to Pixar animating the Dr Strange movie. Wouldn't that be nice?"

Obviously "wouldn't it be nice" doesn't mean it will happen. I'm sure a Doctor Strange movie will happen. I would just be really surprised if Pixar was directly involved. All of their movies have been based on their own creations. They've never adapted someone else's idea. I would also be surprised if their first Marvel/Disney venture was Doctor Strange. I would think if an animated theatrical release happened, it be for a better known character. Sorry Doc.   

What are your thoughts on this? Would you rather see a live-action Doctor Strange or an animated one?    
#1 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing an animated Doctor Strange.

#2 Posted by Dr. Detfink (460 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I love Pixar, this is a terrible idea. 

#3 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

He already had an animated movie, i want to see a live action one.

#4 Posted by darkrein (353 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: I Don't think an animated Dr.Strange film would be bad, so long as they don't alter the character too much. (The 2007 Doctor strange movie)
I would still prefer LA though.
#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkrein said:
" @ComicMan24: I Don't think an animated Dr.Strange film would be bad, so long as they don't alter the character too much. (The 2007 Doctor strange movie) I would still prefer LA though. "
There is already an animated with him?
#6 Posted by rschomber (13 posts) - - Show Bio

animated dr. strange sounds good... but pixar??? i don't know if that is the best idea...

#7 Posted by darkrein (353 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by RavenDark (792 posts) - - Show Bio

Animated sounds better...
Disney/Pixar did made a decent "Prince of Persia"(live-action with cg) when I was skeptical, so the result shouldn't be so bad...

#9 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkrein: Thanks. I can't believe I missed it.
#10 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Liam Neeson as Doctor Strange
Guillermo del Toro directing
Neil Gaiman screen writing
 Live action movie
PLEASE!

#11 Edited by darkrein (353 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: It wasn't a bad movie, it was just odd seeing Dr.Strange use a sword.
#12 Posted by taugehz (5 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be an opportunity for Pixar to branch out into a more realistic style of CGI, that would be interesting to see.

#13 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkrein: I should check it.
#14 Posted by G-Man (36715 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter: There was a rumor that Patrick Dempsey wanted to play the Doc. 

#15 Posted by ckal (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll pretty much cry if Doctor Strange turns out to be an animated movie.

#16 Posted by frsty13 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm skeptical, but if anyone could pull it off, it'd be Pixar.

#17 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down with Pixar touching any of Marvel's properties. Pixar does quality work. In fact, you know what I want to see? A Pixar Ant-Man movie.

#18 Edited by leokearon (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be interesting, as long as someone call pull off the wierd realms of Steve Ditko I wont mind
#19 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm...

#20 Posted by danhimself (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

no one will ever agree with me but the perfect Dr. Strange would be:  

#21 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9176 posts) - - Show Bio

I not a big Doctor Strange fan so I probably will not see it. 

#22 Posted by BenB (23 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:  RIGHT ON!
#23 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Live action please
#24 Posted by Night Thrasher (3698 posts) - - Show Bio

Pixar + Silver Surfer + Ving Rhames voice acting = win!

#25 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as i love live action i would like to see this happen. I originally wanted disney/pixar to make the runaways and not do it live action so they could capture everything from the comics.

#26 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Love, LOVE Pixar but I do not want them to do this. If they ever do a Marvel film it should be something grander since Pixar cannot just keep doing Marvel films.

#27 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

We need a live action Doctor Strange movie if it's ever going to be a box office success. If Pixar want to do an animated series that's fine but DS needs a live action film.

#28 Posted by crusader8463 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

I never followed Dr.Stranger in the comics, however after watching that cartoon movie they did of him a few years back I became very interested in him. So count me in for a " I would watch it".

#29 Posted by Joey Ravn (386 posts) - - Show Bio

"That's what a comic writer said" should totally become a new meme :P

#30 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:
He's told old now, but he would have been great for the role.
#31 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought they should have been writing Antman for a CGI movie.  With all the good effects they did with Harry Potter why would they not want to make it live action.  Stupid idea
#32 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Pixar could make even Dr. Strange cool.

#33 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
"What are your thoughts on this? Would you rather see a live-action Doctor Strange or an animated one?"  
I'd like to see Marvel take animation more seriously and pursue feature film quality animation for their properties because  the characters are their truest when illustrated (one of the reasons Capcom's Versus series with Marvel licenses is so iconic while many other Marvel videogame properties have fumbled) and because animated feature films can be serious business (they certainly have been in Japan and domestically, albeit when geared towards children in the latter category) over live action which I feel is a slightly crowded field and somewhat formulaic at this point (not to say unenjoyable but diminishing returns). 

That said, I want Pixar nowhere near Doctor Strange.  As a property it is almost completely against their creative philosophy.  It's a somewhat rigid pre-existing IP ("story, story, story"), completely fantastic limitless magic (whereas Pixar films ground themselves with explicit rules to make the fantastic realistic - whether talking rats/toys/cars, far future robots, or dream powered monsters there's an underlying mechanical realism to everything compared to the complete arbitrary anarchy that is Doctor Strange), it's borderline demonic (but at the very least not family friendly in the sense Pixar films generally are), it's corporate property meant to maximize merchandising ("story drives everything" - the earlier point is more with respect to the integrity of the original IP from a continuity/story standpoint, but here it's with respect to the business... Marvel wants money but Pixar wants the ultimate story and while not mutually exclusive the ideals can clash and cause compromises to Pixar's creative philosophy), and finally the Pixar brand (so creatively it's all about story, but on the business end "Pixar" means something that "Doc. Strange" would compromise).

Of course, Disney has several competent and quality animation departments (both 2D and 3D) aside from Pixar to take up the cause.
#34 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Going from Stan cameo to tossing out the idea of Pixar doing it makes it sound like we're a long time away from seeing this puppy.

#35 Posted by Mr.Q (1050 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter said:
" Liam Neeson as Doctor Strange Guillermo del Toro directing Neil Gaiman screen writing  Live action moviePLEASE! "
i actually like the sound of that.
#36 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5449 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by zoist (60 posts) - - Show Bio
@Donovan Montgomery: That's pretty much common knowledge for anyone who collects comics.
#38 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5449 posts) - - Show Bio
@zoist:
Just letting the new folks know :) 

You watch it?  If so, how did you like it?
#39 Posted by grayrick949 (61 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: it ...strangely (no Pun intended) fits 
#40 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

If anything should be done by  Pixtar it should be the Fantastic Four... Silver Surfer too. 

Doc's gotta be live action

#41 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

we need a SS film, doctor strange animated won't be bad, especially given Pixar's great track record...

#42 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see a Dr. Strange film, and animated might be a better way to go.  If Pixar's handling it, that could have the potential to be amazing.

#43 Edited by Jord (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Pixar Dr. Strange is certainly an interesting idea.  Their movies are consistently pretty good, unlike the Marvel films... 

In regards to live-action, they've already cast a decent Dr. Strange actor as Tony Stark; RDJ would've been cool. 

However, Dr. House (Hugh Laurie) is perfect for the role: 

#44 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Pixar & Strange...?  Ooh, yes please!!

#45 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone else is getting live action movies then by damnit they can give Doctor Strange one to.

#46 Posted by zoist (60 posts) - - Show Bio
@Donovan Montgomery I saw it about 10 years ago on a bootleg vhs I bought from Jay and Silent Bobs secret stash. As for what I think, well it sucked. I like the intro with all of the 70's style demonography but the story strayed too far for me. That stupid ring and using Morgan Le Fay when they could have used Mordo. And I'm assuming the demon that gave Morgan her orders was supposed to be Dormammu but I don't remember them mentioning him by name. I could be wrong tho, like I said it's been about 10 years since last I saw it. And I can't bring my self to sit thru it again. But yeah, it was hard to watch just like the 1970's Captain America.
#47 Posted by MrMazz (1293 posts) - - Show Bio

and animated doc strange would be good since it would be the cheapest way to produce a high value sfx heavy mystical romp. they defiantly have the story telling down id be interested in seeing what the art style is 

#48 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter said:
" Liam Neeson as Doctor Strange Guillermo del Toro directing Neil Gaiman screen writing  Live action moviePLEASE! "
...I'd actually really like that!
#49 Edited by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:
I totally agree with you!  Tom Seleck would make the perfect Doctor Strange!
#50 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio

I will respectfully disagree with anyone who doesn't like this idea. In fact, there are many comic book characters who would be better translated in animated form than in live-action. There are just more possibilities in animation (particlarly 3D animation). Not to mention the wide range of creatures that Doctor Strange deals with will be much more believable in animation. 

But I'm not anti-live-action-Dr. Strange either. In fact, if anyone has seen Sorcerer's Apprentice, it's a pretty safe bet that Disney are probably the only ones who can pull off a Doctor Strange film in live-action. The effects on Sorcerer's Apprentice were breathatking if you ask me. And that's definitely what a Doctor Strange live-action film need, believable effects.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.