Follow

Doctor Octopus

Character » Doctor Octopus appears in 2433 issues.

Doctor Octopus is a supervillain originating from Marvel Comics. A former nuclear physicist and atomic researcher, Otto Octavius' life changed forever when one of his experiments went horribly wrong involving his four mechanical appendages used to assist him in his experiments. From then on, Octavius soon after his initial encounter has become one of the most dangerous supervillains in the Marvel Universe.

What's up with the claws?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JonSmith

The new Superior Spider-Man suit is equipped with nonretractable claws. Not claws on the fingertips exactly, where they could be used as a weapon, but on the insides of the fingertips, like so:

No Caption Provided

My question is... why? What purpose do they serve? They interfere with not only his basic equipment, like his webshooters:

No Caption Provided

But even basic actions like making a fist. The only time they'd be useful is if he were to apply a Mark of Kaine. And even then, he wouldn't need the claws to do that. Perhaps he could use them to climb up walls. Except, oh wait, he doesn't need them to do that. So what's their purpose? Any ideas?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Strider1992

@JonSmith: I have a feeling they may inject venom or something along those lines. Also their positioning seems to be dependent on the artist. I've seen Ramos and Comuncoli draw them actually on his finger tips they also appear in this place in DareDevil 22 but other people have drawn them beneath the finger tips like Stegman. In fact now I think of it go look at page 8 of Avenging Spider-man 15.1. In the same comic as the panel you posted the same artist drew them on his finger tips as well. This tells me that it doesn't matter where they are positioned or Slott would have been more careful on how they where presented which leads me to believe they may inject some kind of poison or toxin.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By Dracade102

Maybe there's something about those gloves that needs a support system to help stick to surfaces or something...

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Strider1992

Also he was wearing gloves when he was calibrating those computerized lenses. Maybe thats something to do with it?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Strider1992

@JonSmith: Read SSM 1:

The claws are used for attacking and injecting nanites into the enemies bloodstream. Didn't expect that.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@JonSmith: Because they look cool and were a red herring to make us think it was Miguel O'Hara.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.