Follow

Doctor Doom

Character » Doctor Doom appears in 3793 issues.

The very mention of his name makes lesser men tremble! The brilliant scientist whose iron mask conceals his scarred (but once handsome) face! Master of science and sorcery, Victor Von Doom is the monarch of Latveria, attempting the betterment of humanity through world conquest! Unequaled and unrivaled in every manner, Doctor Doom has had many conflicts with both earthly and cosmic super-beings, but he will always be known as the eternal nemesis of Reed Richards and his accursed Fantastic Four!

Is Doctor Doom Overrated?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pooty

I have always believed he is grossly overrated. However my opinion is not law so i'll throw it out  there. I believe that someone who is as smart as Reed Richards overall. And as good with Robotics as Tony Stark. And as good with magic as Dr. Strange. And as strategic as Black Panther should have something more to show for it than a tiny third world country. Am i overlooking something?

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after the last F4 arc...nope.
    he's intended to be "the" villian in the MU, thus he's used and displayed as such.
    his achievements are only second to Thanos, and in the field of invention has him beat.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pooty

where can i get a quick summary of the last F4 arc. i'm not to big on them.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Lets ask Dazzler & Squirrel Girl :p

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Korg

Not being big on the FF explains a lot about this topic.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pooty

I have been reading comics for over 25yrs and cant think of more than 2 times that either the whole world or whole universe was needed to stop him.  It seems he has the talent to take over but not the wisdom to make anything of it.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:
    " I have been reading comics for over 25yrs and cant think of more than 2 times that either the whole world or whole universe was needed to stop him.  It seems he has the talent to take over but not the wisdom to make anything of it. "
    same can be said for very single comic villian that has ever existed. if they win, the comic is over.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Doom is a great character, Apocalypse is overrated but thats just my opinion

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By warlock360

Doom is NOT overrated, more likely to be underestimated.

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By saiyan_earthling

no he's not. he's awesome :)

fishinsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fishinsoup

I don't think he is overrated but overall I don't find him particulary interesting. He is OK villain but somehow I don't consider him particular original. 
    I like Mandarin more.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Dreadmaster
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "after the last F4 arc...nope. he's intended to be "the" villian in the MU, thus he's used and displayed as such. his achievements are only second to Thanos, and in the field of invention has him beat. "

Agreed
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By warlock360

Doom was actually so powerful that in the moment he defeated the MoD he knew that he had beaten Reed, there was nothing he could do to defeat Doom in that moment if he had attacked him. Doom finally got his revenge in a rather diplomatic order, and left a warning should they ever cross ways again.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By IrishX

I know what your saying with him being overrated but he is very powerful and has many great feats so.....

JoseLoayza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

batman yes

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Doom is to Marvel as Lex Luthor is to DC , the are essentially THE arch-enemy to their respective universes, while you might not like or place one above the other , they can back it up. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f
    deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joseloayza: Surprise, surprise, another Batman hater saying he's overrated.

mark-spector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom is the farthest thing from overrated. He is the villain that is more than justified. I described it somewhere else as an anti villain. He came from nothing, he truly has the best interests of his people at heart. He transformed Latvia from an impoverished nation stuck several hundred years in the past, to one of the most profitable nations on the planet, a paradise. And his people love him. He is unique among villains, because if he won, the world would actually get better.

His dreams of world domination stem from a trip to a bunch of possible futures, Dr. Strange style. The one possible future he saw where humanity survived was under his control. He is the ultimate benevolent dictator, and has 'won' multiple times only to lose it some way or another. One time he achieved world domination, immediately, war stopped, poverty and starvation rates plummeted. He created the closest thing to a paradise. Eventually he realized that he felt guilt over his victory and that freedom could not be quantified so he reversed.

He has all the marks of a great villain, a motivation, a sympathetic character, and a great backstory. He is also the most badass character in comics. I suggest reading Trials and Torments.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.