.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

UP
     UP

When I was child I saw a film called Dumbo, a wonderful Disney film that displays the true essence of finding yourself, loving who you are and also the gift of a mother and sons bond. There was a certain scene in this film that always made me cry quite hard. A mother trapped and a son torn from her, with lyrical music and images of other mothers and their children together warm and happy.   Since this film there have been no animated movies that have made me cry quite so hard until UP. I will quite possibly be persecuted for saying this but I will never watch this film again. While I am a firm fan of Pixar in every way this time I was let down and I think it will take some time for me to forgive them. I will at this point give myself a disclaimer wherein I explain I have dealt with a lot of loss in my lifetime and being in a relationship with a man that owns my heart did not make watching this any easier. This film is about loss and pain and letting go, of moving forward and living in life, normally wonderful items for a film gifts that many of us need to deal with. This film however did not deliver the wonderful Pixar characters to balance out that pain, we will all remember that touching moment in Toy Story 2 where Jessie recalls being loved and looked after when her owner was a girl but being dumped as she grew up. A sad and devastating moment in the film but balanced out by the wonderful aftermath of meeting Woody and Buzz and the gang.

The characters in this film did not balance out the pain of the initial loss that the old man feels. The villain of the piece was too dark for me, one of the great things I love about Pixar is that they always create villains that are really more neutrals or bumbling idiots, in UP the villain is a very dark character with quite an evil streak. The talking dogs I had massive issues with the bird was again sad and upsetting, the kid was mildly amusing but overall just plain irritating. For me the only character worth watching was the old man, perhaps because what he did was something I know my boy would have done for me. I will say there are quite a few wonderful Pixar moments in this film that did make us both laugh, the ongoing squirrel joke was quite charming!

No Caption Provided

I am being awfully harsh on a Pixar kids film I know but I simply feel if you choose to create a film about loss and pain and you also choose to be a children’s film, then work harder on balancing the pain with the joy.  Then again of course, I always say that if a film touches either good or bad then it has done its job in some way. I will not in this review recommend or discourage any of you to see it, I simply warn you too take tissues and try to separate from what is going on on the screen. 

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow that is one emo review... 

also will be seeing Halloween 2 tomorrow so look out for that riveting review!

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@.Mistress Redhead. said:
    "wow that is one emo review...  also will be seeing Halloween 2 tomorrow so look out for that riveting review! "

my god this is depressive, don't bother w/ Halloween 2
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    "wow that is one emo review...  also will be seeing Halloween 2 tomorrow so look out for that riveting review! "
    my god this is depressive, don't bother w/ Halloween 2 "
    LMAO shut yer face! 

Im a lot more forgiving on Horror films XD
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

This film reminded me, theme and emotion wise, of E.T. An alien who had lost his family, befriends a young boy and a pre-alcoholic Drew Barrymore, and although their friendship grows, the boy deals with the possible loss of his friend. Incredibly dark stuff for it's time. Move around the emotion onto other characters, you have the same feelings you get from watching Up. If I don't make sense it's because I just got to work and I'm realllllly tired.

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    my god this is depressive, don't bother w/ Halloween 2 "
    LMAO shut yer face! 

Im a lot more forgiving on Horror films XD
    "

I'm not merciful, usually anyways if it sucks it sucks
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @.Mistress Redhead.: Halloween 2 was an utter crapfest and Zombie's Halloween is my favorite 21st Century Horror film.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego said:
    " This film reminded me, theme and emotion wise, of E.T. An alien who had lost his family, befriends a young boy and a pre-alcoholic Drew Barrymore, and although their friendship grows, the boy deals with the possible loss of his friend. Incredibly dark stuff for it's time. Move around the emotion onto other characters, you have the same feelings you get from watching Up. If I don't make sense it's because I just got to work and I'm realllllly tired. "
    I kind of got your point, though i disagree. I think I focused more on the old man loosing his wife than the kid... Also im expecting H2 to be shite  

@Emperor Gonzo Noir: im the same, even Pixar gets my nasty words no one will get past BWAHHAAAHAA
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Hawk

Can you give me some stars so I don't have to read all of that. Thanks.

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@.Mistress Redhead.:
    Pixar rarely feels my wrath usually it Dreamworks that takes the hits, as for Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 I'd rather watch the original 2 again or even Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 .  "GARBAGE DAY!"
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" @.Mistress Redhead.: Pixar rarely feels my wrath usually it Dreamworks that takes the hits, as for Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 I'd rather watch the original 2 again or even Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 .  "GARBAGE DAY!" "
    agreed Pixar even when its average manages to get a laugh out of me.. 
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@.Mistress Redhead.:
    here's a tip, after you've seen Halloween 2 watch The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, to get the bad taste out of your mouth
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" @.Mistress Redhead.: here's a tip, after you've seen Halloween 2 watch The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, to get the bad taste out of your mouth "
    yall are making me rethink going to see this.
    Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Satyrquaze

UP was a bit predictable.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15  Edited By No_Name_

What a great review! Nice work :)

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@.Mistress Redhead.:
    either way see El Superbeasto
    so commands Dr. Satan 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By xerox_kitty

I've not been to see it, but the boy's constant need to shout like he's on a Cilit Bang advert is EXTREMELY annoying.  I'm not sure if I could put up with that for a whole film... 

Anyway, greatest Disney movie ever: Lilo & Stitch :)

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Precise

I actually enjoyed the movie, the first half hour is pure brilliance for what i'm concerned. Perhaps it's a bit grittier then what you expect from Pixar but I actually liked to see that side. I must say it's the first time I left a pixar movie that I felt didn't have a happy ending. But I didn't mind.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19  Edited By Darkchild

I really liked the movie, Shawn thought it was boring but i really liked it. Definatly not a pure kids movie, i saw it was more for the adults. And i agree with MR but i still liked it

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty: Lilo and Stich......................................... 

@Babs: thanks that is a big compliment!  

@Emperor Gonzo Noir: okkkk then LOL will do 

@Precise: i think it hit to close to home for me 

@Darkchild: your opinion does not count. XD i can see why shawn wouldnt like it
    Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

..........o_o......... I was going to watch it at my cousins house this weekend..... >_> I guess I should bring some tissues.... and ice cream for comfort....

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feral Nova: yup to both!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.