Follow

Disney

Publisher »

Walt Disney's legacy.

Move Over Paramount, Disney Wants Distribution Rights!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Is anyone really surprised?

No Caption Provided
    Anyone who really believed that the Walt Disney Company would passively walk away from the possibility of obtaining the distribution rights to Marvel's upcoming films must be living in la-la land. If you were Disney, and had just dropped $5 billion in an acquisition of a company like Marvel, then chances are that you would want to make every pretty penny back (and more) that a deal like that had cost you. And quickly.

This past fall, after it was initially revealed that Marvel would be bought out by Disney; Disney executives conceded that they would honor the previous agreements between Marvel and Paramount, Twentieth Century Fox and Sony Pictures, respectively. Disney CEO Robert Iger revealed that while the parent company would allow the deals between Marvel to run their course, he would be ending those distribution deals once they are complete. What does this mean? Even though Disney bought out Marvel, Marvel had previous established deals with other film studios and had licensed out their properties to them. This means that Disney could not be able to distribute/back a Spider-Man or X-Men movie, for example, because the rights of those characters belong to Twentieth Century Fox. If you were Disney, wouldn't you want to acquire the distribution rights to these films? I know I would, especially after a $5 billion deal.

No Caption Provided
    Back in 2008, Marvel renewed their five year distribution deal with Paramount to incorporate future properties like Thor, Iron Man 2 and Captain America. This means that all of those movies that are scheduled to be released in 2012 are set to be distributed through Paramount, not Disney. At least for now. The rumor is that Disney has their lawyers working hard to look for a loophole in the contract between Marvel and Paramount that would allow Disney to acquire the distribution rights to these films.

Disney paid enough for Marvel properties, so any logical person would expect them to attempt to acquire those deals from Paramount.

Certain Disney publicists have already been telling members of the press that Iron Man 3 will definitely be distributed and branded with the Walt Disney logo [not Paramount].

No Caption Provided
    While IESB claims that this stands as proof of Disney's search for a contractual loophole, all it really signifies is that Iron Man 3 won't be released until Paramount and Marvel's contract has run it's course.

Rumblings we are hearing say there are a couple different scenarios that Disney may explore with Paramount. The first would be to allow Paramount to distribute Thor but joint teams Disney/Paramount with Disney supervisors calling the shots regarding marketing and publicity.

One thing is for certain, Disney does not want any help from Paramount on Captain America and The Avengers. We are hearing Disney would consider allowing Paramount to distribute Iron Man 3 but that there is no way in hell a Paramount logo would be seen on either the Cap or Avenger films.

Another option Disney is considering is paying off Paramount the dollar amount they would be expected to make from the four remaining films in their contract (in the 200 and 250 million dollar range) which is approximately four

Any company that spent $5 billion on an acquisition of another would want to make money off their new property. It's called business. If Disney finds a loophole, good for them. Marvel is a new company now, and I am sure Paramount is fully aware of that fact. What do you think? Does it matter to you whether it is Disney or Paramount that gets the distribution rights to future Marvel films like Iron Man 2 and 3, Captain America, Thor and The Avengers?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

I say Disney should just pay Paramount the money and get it over with... 
    I mean as long as the movie is just as good as the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man movies then I don't care the Disney castle appears on the bottom of the promotional poster and on the DVD/BD box.... 

Although it is too late for Iron Man 2 to get the Disney logo on it! 
    olliejudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By olliejudge

This could be interesting, I don't think we will see paramount go easy, Iron Man has been a real tent pole movie for them, the super hero effect is great for a studio. However I'll root for Disney on this occasion they have some great people behind them and I'd love to see what they can do with a super hero film.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Good thing I hate Marvel or this would really upset me...

DragonRex1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By DragonRex1

Damn Disney should leave Marvel alone... 

I still dislike this whole Disney ownership thing. One thing Marvel had over DC is that they could work with ANYONE they want, now that Disney owns them, they can't. 

Watch, I'm gonna wait until Disney loses rights to Marvel someday...
    Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
    Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Disney was gonna let marvel handle their own sh!t? What happen to that?
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " Good thing I hate Marvel or this would really upset me... "
    XD
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goldenkey
    @Giuseppe Riccadonna said:
    "
    I thought Disney was gonna let marvel handle their own sh!t? What happen to that?
    "

no, they were gonna let Marvel handle their own shit regarding the writing, and production of comic books.  They wouldn't step on thier toes and come in make them change their approach to say Spider-man or the X-men.  Movies, figures, accessories, that's Disney's department.
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Giuseppe Riccadonna said:
    "
    "
    not to be rude but did you honestly think that would happen? 

@Son_of_Magnus: ;)
    dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By dr.x

@.Mistress Redhead.:
    let me  give  you a small history  lesion  on Marvless World of Disney and they  operate with them owning  The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers  ( I knowmost of you are rolling your eyes over this  ,but please hear me out and follow me on this ) as we all know  from 1993 – 1995  The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers   was on Tv  it  " Morph" other  vertions  there after up the early 2000's , then one  day they  were bought of by Disney  and even had their own  area  at I think Disney World  or  Land  not too sure  on that just  a fart in the wind  left a  bad smell  and are now  gone off tv tho you  a new toy line up . I a word Disney will not nor can not keep their hand  off it  just look at spider-man  movie  were they want  hanna montaina  as Mary  Jane  hmmm. Why M.O.U.S.E 
    Dr.x  

DR . X
    DR . X

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By FoxxFireArt

This is a little bit worrisome. I completely understand Disney's motivations. They dropped one massive amount of money for rights to a lot of properties. Due to preexisting deals they might not see any profits from some of Marvel's biggest titles. Seems counter productive to what they spent.

This could cause some problems though. Production of some movies could wind up in limbo due to challenges to the rights. I doubt Paramount would want to pay for the creation of a movies that only ends up being distributed by Disney in the end. They might not want to invest in many movies out of fear the rights could be taken away, or legal battles could make some movies seem like they aren't worth fighting over.

Some movies could be either pushed back, shelved, or canceled altogether until the rights are settled.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11  Edited By Decept-O

Honestly, I'm surprised Sony, Paramount, and Fox don't just offer up the rights they have now on the Marvel properties they currently own in terms of movies for sale back to Disney instead of pursuing more movies.  Said companies would win $ without having to hassle with any future movie attempts and Disney would also win as hopefully this is what they want, to get those rights back for potential future movies involving Spidey and the lot.  Spidey alone would draw in big $, so it'd be worth Disney to pursue.   I hope some Sony execs read this an get the hint, let Disney and Marvel get Spidey.  Sony has failed, time to move on.    

I would prefer Disney/Marvel to have all the rights to everything pertaining to any and all Marvel characters in every fashion, and that Paramount, Sony, and Fox would no longer be involved. Yes, I'm talking about defending a corporation, but think about it.  Having Disney and Marvel involved 100% with everything guarantees these characters would more than likely get the correct movie treatment they have been lacking and rightfully deserve.   'Nuff said.
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Marshal Victory

While marvel is a new companey they still have the debets an contracts of the old one.If not companies could pull buy outs to not pay bills.I want diseny to get the movie rights in due time.An that would mean some good things an bad. 

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jjSQMkAmK-lCcruC5tFMeKDra_RA 
     Kinda points out one of the worries with diesney tho.Miramax closeing an saleing off is realy not a worry for marvel just the movies wount be under that brand as some hoped.Sooner diesney has the rights the more the marvel movies wil tie into each other i would bet.Thats part of the buying point.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Moomin123

No, I know that the Disney guys want they're money, but I just don't think the pink castle on a poster for something like Thor or Avengers tickles my fancy. 
    For god sake, before you know it, Goofy will take over the role of Thor from Chris Hemsworth. 

NOOO!!!!! It's happening already!!!!!! :)
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AngelFrost

aww, I like Twentieth Century Fox.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bruce Vain

I guess making Donald Duck Captain America is them trying to make people forget him having dreams of being a Nazi. lol
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if i...i mean a friend of mine thinks that Black Widow Minnie is hot,
    should i, i mean they seek professional help?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @sora_thekey said:
    "
    I say Disney should just pay Paramount the money and get it over with... 
    I mean as long as the movie is just as good as the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man movies then I don't care the Disney castle appears on the bottom of the promotional poster and on the DVD/BD box.... 

Although it is too late for Iron Man 2 to get the Disney logo on it!  "
    Not for the DVD box :P 

But I think they should buy all of their movies back, FF, Spidey, X-Men, ect. And get Marvel to do things right.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Primmaster64

Mickey with a Keyblade

BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BaronVonDredd

If I saw the very first Thor film distributed by Disney, I WOULD FREAK.

Bestial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bestial

the more i see this disney characters in marvel characters coustume it makes me wnat gut mickey mouse with wolverines claws

danielddavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By danielddavis

Disney's gonna kill marvel.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " Good thing I hate Marvel or this would really upset me... "
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By doordoor123

hmmmm interesting...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.