Disney Trademarking Seal Team 6?

#1 Posted by Ult_Vatican_Assassin (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been hearing all sorts of chatter that Disney wants to trademark Seal Team 6. You know, the Seal Team that took out you know who. How would you feel about something like that?

#2 Posted by jeanlucpicard (1845 posts) - - Show Bio

I could care less and you can say osama, he isn't "he who must not be named"

#3 Posted by Daydream (2802 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney must be obeyed.
#4 Posted by JediXMan (30618 posts) - - Show Bio

Link?

#5 Posted by Doctor Damn (740 posts) - - Show Bio

I SMELL PIXAR MOVIE IN THE WORKS. :3

#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Hail Disney.

#7 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

wtf

#8 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by JediXMan (30618 posts) - - Show Bio
@Doctor Damn said:
I SMELL PIXAR MOVIE IN THE WORKS. :3
INCREDIBLES 2!

@Gambler said:
@JediXMan: Here's one of several
And another
Tis' all I asked for. Thank you, good sir.
#10 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: Didnt mean to come across defensive if I did.
#11 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio

Really.... that hasn't been trade marked before? wtf.....

#12 Posted by JediXMan (30618 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
@JediXMan: Didnt mean to come across defensive if I did.
You didn't. I didn't mean to come off as aggressive, either.
#13 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio

Shouldn't these guys have it trademarked?

#14 Posted by JediXMan (30618 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mikepool:

You'd think.
#15 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Mikepool: You'd think.
My bosses are gettin' sloppy....
#16 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mikepool: I doubt it ever crossed their minds that one day it would even be an issue. Ya know?
#17 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: Good point.... I'm pretty sure in XxX: State of the Union, they mention Seal Team 6 a few times...
#18 Posted by JediXMan (30618 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
@Mikepool: I doubt it ever crossed their minds that one day it would even be an issue. Ya know?
It's not like it would really matter. You think the United States government won't just pull rank if push came to shove? That and how will trademarking the name even change anything for the SEALs?
#19 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Gambler said:
It's not like it would really matter. You think the United States government won't just pull rank if push came to shove? That and how will trademarking the name even change anything for the SEALs?
O___O would that mean Disney owns a SEAL Team.... lol
#20 Posted by JediXMan (30618 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mikepool said:
@JediXMan said:
@Gambler said:
I can just see them... the secret special forces group for the Magic Kingdom....
#21 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Mikepool said:
@JediXMan said:
@Gambler said:
I can just see them... the secret special forces group for the Magic Kingdom....
You break the rules at Disneyland and a SEAL team kicks down your door....
#22 Edited by Nefarious (20365 posts) - - Show Bio

Strange.

#23 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
Heil Disney.
#24 Posted by stuamerica (327 posts) - - Show Bio

If memory serves, SEAL Team 6 was used in several of Richard Marcinko's books (being the former CO of the unit this would make sense).  I could see Disney and others trying to make sure no one, including former members, cannot make money without paying them off.  This would not affect the government as, according to Wikipedia, the Navy officially changed the units designation and Team 6 is an unofficial nickname that held on despite the change.
@InnerVenom123 said:

Hail Disney.
Indeed. Hail.
#25 Posted by Obtrusive (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

Because a Disney killing osama is going to be a block buster, zach effron and justin bieber would make totally believable seals.

#26 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio
@stuamerica: "SEAL Team Six" isn't a nickname. It's the units name and then their are different units within each team.

#27 Edited by stuamerica (327 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mikepool

Depends on where you read.  According to 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Special_Warfare_Development_Group   
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-team-that-killed-bin-laden-seal-team-6-2011-5
(can't figure out how to get links to work properly in posts, sorry)
the official names are classified and the SEAL Team designation are unofficial and used for more open conversation.  I could be wrong, as I have no first-hand experience with the units in question myself.
#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33439 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mikepool said:
@Gambler: Good point.... I'm pretty sure in XxX: State of the Union, they mention Seal Team 6 a few times...
They were in Metal Gear Solid 2 as well
#29 Posted by The_Assassin_ (17437 posts) - - Show Bio
@stuamerica: I've never met anyone from Six but I have met a few SEALs. Team Six is the name used but the individual units are probably what's classified. Saying SEAL team Six killed Bin Laden isn't as specific as saying "Company So-an-So of SEAL Team Six". Instead of 20+ people its now around 100 and then you have to figure which SEALs are actually team Six members.
#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33439 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney has become so terminally corporate that its high-level execs need to consult nine different spreadsheets before tying their shoes.

#32 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mikepool said:
@stuamerica: "SEAL Team Six" isn't a nickname. It's the units name and then their are different units within each team.

SEAL Team Six was disbanded in 1987 and reorganized as under Joint Special Operations Command as United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group. They are unofficial still known as SEAL Team Six, but since they fall under the operational guidance of JSOC, which means they are far separated from the other SEAL teams because those fall under Naval Special Warfare Command and USSOCOM.

So I guess technically they are no longer a SEAL Team because when President Kennedy created the Teams he wanted the Navy to have their own unique and independent operations teams that didn't fall under the same command as Green Berets, Delta Force, or Army Rangers.

And if Disney is considering trade marking Seal Team 6 I am sure its because they have a movie in the works. I doubt they'd do it just to do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.