Awww :( I was only joking :D
#102 Posted by inferiorego (21233 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @inferiorego said:
" @Gambler said:
" So Disney bought Marvel? When did this happen? "
You need to leave your cave on Mondays "
Awww :( I was only joking :D "
I know you're really into "Don't leave the cave Mondays" I respect it. Heck, I'm even a little envious. But, after I dropped off the weekly rations yesterday morning, I thought about getting you, but you were asleep.
Staff Online
#103 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84550 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @Gambler said:
" @inferiorego said:
" @Gambler said:
" So Disney bought Marvel? When did this happen? "
You need to leave your cave on Mondays "
Awww :( I was only joking :D "
I know you're really into "Don't leave the cave Mondays" I respect it. Heck, I'm even a little envious. But, after I dropped off the weekly rations yesterday morning, I thought about getting you, but you were asleep. "
You could have picked the place up for me at least. This place is a sh!t hole. And where are my Pringles?
#104 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:

" @MysterioMaximus: A lot of people are missing the point when many of us call Watcher of the Woods and Black Cauldron more adult films. It's not about how many boobs you see, how many people die, or how many times the f-bomb is dropped. It's all about thematic elements and darker undertones within the film. Pirates is a kid's film through and through. Just because people die doesn't mean it's a more adult film. "

Perhaps not, but the fact of the matter is that gratuity does have a role to play in certain books like (in particular) the Punisher. Whether you personally feel Marvels been all that good lately or not is altogether irrelevant. That’s your opinion, which you're entitled to, but you must recognize that many others feel differently. Ironically I'm not one of them either, I'm much more the DC fan when it comes to modern comics,  but I respect the concern some have. The over-the-top gore of the MAX titles is most certainly adult toned. So it's more like "Because people die does mean it's not for kids".  

What I see happening here is a level of concern that's natural. No matter how many people try to reassure, you're not going to calm the majority because these are people that have put immeasurable time and care into these books and films normally since childhood. Not to mention, if I had a dime for every time a company was bought out under the pretense of never going to change a formula that works…only to change the formula that worked anyway…I wouldn’t be living in a dorm. Marvel Legends toys comes to mind. I find it a huge assumption to just announce that everything will be okay and belittle everyone that says otherwise, even with a supposed quote from Joe himself. You're reading too much X-men...you're not psychic. We'll know when the time comes, be it positive or negative. I'm trying to personally be indifferent, but I entirely understand the worries here. Let those other people have their say, mocking them is entirely unnessessary.  

You’re contradicting yourself.  If you're trying to sooth the occasionally overdramatic distress of certain fans, the way of going about that is not to ridicule them with implications of them being akin to some sort of lynch mob, else wise they'll never listen to a word you say to begin with.

#105 Posted by konshu101 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking foreward to seeing how this plays out. Like you said, Marvel will be in a better position to take chances now and hopefully this will result in more exciting story telling. Marvel needs to take more risks. Steve Rogers coming back really was the final smack in the mouth in a long line of seemingly gutsy decisions they retconned the first chance they got.  
I'm excited for Marvel. I think the only influence Disney will have is giving Marvel a stronger kids line. Marvel has plenty of products aimed at children and I think these lines will be greatly enhanced with Disneys influence. Where's the harm in that? 
Time will tell but I don't see any negatives in this.

#106 Posted by Blushadow (10 posts) - - Show Bio

nooooooooooooooooooooo i don't wana see a goofy logan and a donald duck punisher :(
#107 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blushadow said:
" nooooooooooooooooooooo i don't wana see a goofy logan and a donald duck punisher :( "
Welcome to the House of Mouse-Ideas!!
#108 Posted by Kurrent (14061 posts) - - Show Bio

IE I was a little uneasy about this but you made me a believer....

#109 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @inferiorego said:

" @MysterioMaximus: A lot of people are missing the point when many of us call Watcher of the Woods and Black Cauldron more adult films. It's not about how many boobs you see, how many people die, or how many times the f-bomb is dropped. It's all about thematic elements and darker undertones within the film. Pirates is a kid's film through and through. Just because people die doesn't mean it's a more adult film. "

Perhaps not, but the fact of the matter is that gratuity does have a role to play in certain books like (in particular) the Punisher. Whether you personally feel Marvels been all that good lately or not is altogether irrelevant. That’s your opinion, which you're entitled to, but you must recognize that many others feel differently. Ironically I'm not one of them either, I'm much more the DC fan when it comes to modern comics,  but I respect the concern some have. The over-the-top gore of the MAX titles is most certainly adult toned. So it's more like "Because people die does mean it's not for kids".  

What I see happening here is a level of concern that's natural. No matter how many people try to reassure, you're not going to calm the majority because these are people that have put immeasurable time and care into these books and films normally since childhood. Not to mention, if I had a dime for every time a company was bought out under the pretense of never going to change a formula that works…only to change the formula that worked anyway…I wouldn’t be living in a dorm. Marvel Legends toys comes to mind. I find it a huge assumption to just announce that everything will be okay and belittle everyone that says otherwise, even with a supposed quote from Joe himself. You're reading too much X-men...you're not psychic. We'll know when the time comes, be it positive or negative. I'm trying to personally be indifferent, but I entirely understand the worries here. Let those other people have their say, mocking them is entirely unnessessary.  

You’re contradicting yourself.  If you're trying to sooth the occasionally overdramatic distress of certain fans, the way of going about that is not to ridicule them with implications of them being akin to some sort of lynch mob, else wise they'll never listen to a word you say to begin with.

"
Disney has a long history of merging with groups that don't at all fit the image people associate with the name "Disney" and not changing a thing, other than giving them more money to work with and more marketing exposure. All you have to do is look at their merger history instead of jumping to conclusions based literally on nothing. Disney has never purchased a company just to reface it completely, where does that assumption even come from? There's not a single example of them doing that.
#110 Posted by King Saturn (223823 posts) - - Show Bio
Hooray for Disney  !

lmao
#111 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:
" @MysterioMaximus said:
" @inferiorego said:

"
Disney has a long history of merging with groups that don't at all fit the image people associate with the name "Disney" and not changing a thing, other than giving them more money to work with and more marketing exposure. All you have to do is look at their merger history instead of jumping to conclusions based literally on nothing. Disney has never purchased a company just to reface it completely, where does that assumption even come from? There's not a single example of them doing that. "
Yet it's still an educated guess at best, key word being guess. The conclusions are jumped to on both sides.
#112 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
I'm personally a little annoyed that no one is reading anything. Babs has DIRECT quotes from Joe Q saying nothing is going to happen, yet people are in her article's thread throwing a poop-fit. People need to start reading and stop assuming. "
Well I didn't read it because I automatically assumed nothing would happen.I understand what you mean about people in here and in other threads whining about the Disney thing when it's already been established that nothing will happen.
#113 Posted by inferiorego (21233 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @inferiorego said:

"
Comparing the Legends toy line transfer to this in not a fair comparison. If all the Marvel writers and artists were fired, then replaced with only Disney staffers, that would be acceptable. But the ML line was handed over, everything about it, to another company. completely new people working on it. 

As for contradicting myself. When I see people over and over again saying they're boycotting Marvel (not just on this site), that's pretty much a lynch mob.
Staff Online
#114 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @MysterioMaximus said:
" @inferiorego said:

"
Comparing the Legends toy line transfer to this in not a fair comparison. If all the Marvel writers and artists were fired, then replaced with only Disney staffers, that would be acceptable. But the ML line was handed over, everything about it, to another company. completely new people working on it.   As for contradicting myself. When I see people over and over again saying they're boycotting Marvel (not just on this site), that's pretty much a lynch mob. "

Not buying a comic book is like hanging someone? No offence but...now who's being overdramatic? Yes the boycott threats are b oth abundant and absurd, but it's their right too. They're just passionate and I don't think we should view this as something that seperates the yays from the nays, but rather a common bond. We're all diehard comic followers and I think everyone can identify with some level of concern our outrage with our favorite characters and the direction they're being taken at some point in time. Batman R.I.P. for me is a fine example. I think people, that being both sides, have to stop being so immensely opinionated. It's just starting to getting juvinile and insulting...

Also, from what I understand, Hasbro's Marvel Toy branch did retain quite a few people from Toybiz Marvel Toys, though they were kicked down a notch as far as influence went. But the specifics here aren't really the point. What I'm saying is that, with any big company, everything they say should be taken with a grain of salt. But then again, I've always been cynical when it comes to Corporate America.
#115 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmm... Kingdon Hearts with some marvel is guaranteed awesomeness

#116 Posted by inferiorego (21233 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @inferiorego said:
" @MysterioMaximus said:
" @inferiorego said:

"
Comparing the Legends toy line transfer to this in not a fair comparison. If all the Marvel writers and artists were fired, then replaced with only Disney staffers, that would be acceptable. But the ML line was handed over, everything about it, to another company. completely new people working on it.   As for contradicting myself. When I see people over and over again saying they're boycotting Marvel (not just on this site), that's pretty much a lynch mob. "
Not buying a comic book is like hanging someone? No offence but...now who's being overdramatic? Yes the boycott threats are b oth abundant and absurd, but it's their right too. They're just passionate and I don't think we should view this as something that seperates the yays from the nays, but rather a common bond. We're all diehard comic followers and I think everyone can identify with some level of concern our outrage with our favorite characters and the direction they're being taken at some point in time. Batman R.I.P. for me is a fine example. I think people, that being both sides, have to stop being so immensely opinionated. It's just starting to getting juvinile and insulting... Also, from what I understand, Hasbro's Marvel Toy branch did retain quite a few people from Toybiz Marvel Toys, though they were kicked down a notch as far as influence went. But the specifics here aren't really the point. What I'm saying is that, with any big company, everything they say should be taken with a grain of salt. But then again, I've always been cynical when it comes to Corporate America. "
You said lynch mob, so I rolled with it. I've made the analogy of grabbing pitchforks and torches and storming the gates a few times, never making any sort of reference to anyone being killed. It is entirely their right to go overboard, but why get angry now when nothing has been announced about the books at Marvel? People are literally getting angry about nothing, unless they own stock. Everyone is so paranoid about what could possibly happen, but fails to see the potential benefits now open to Marvel.

As for the ML-Line: The biggest problem with that trade-off was that they lost key members, including Jesse Falcon, who helped make the Legends line what it once was. I'll admit, when that happened, I was upset, but I waited it out to see the final product, which happened to be garbage. But that's what you can expect from a company who has never done too well in action figure department.

Sure, take what they say with a grain of salt, I do agree, but in this case, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Yes, again, contradicting my previous statements of my disappointment with their current stories and animated movies. That statement moreso revolves around the fact that it's a giant money-making machine that does very well for itself.
Staff Online
#117 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx said:
" Mmm... Kingdon Hearts with some marvel is guaranteed awesomeness "
I would love to see that... I've said before I don't think they'll add Marvel to KH (a bit of overkill with Square Enix, Disney *and* Marvel), but I hope to see a Marvel spin on it with Square Enix characters.  Which characters & locations would you have? :)
#118 Posted by Crimson Thunder (286 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a preety good deal.

#119 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @jefprice said:
" @inferiorego: DC's comics aren't what keep them alive, it's the rights. WB keeps them up with other media, Marvel used comics to boost the other media while DC's comics are only now picking up in speed, and no one thinks that will last past BN. At least none of the retailers I've talked to. Now with Disney on board Marvel will go from 60% of the market on up. I was just talking to 2 comic shops who have cut all their order of DC back by at least 20% except for the BN Limited's. DC is doing ok now, but in all their years with the WB they've not done half as well as Marvel by itself, with Disney this is just going to get bigger. Disney will build up Marvel beyond anything we've ever seen, you really think is Disney wants to get DC there's anything to stop them? "
Um... As a person who works for one of the biggest comic book retailer chains in the country, I can personally say it is a struggle right now to get Marvel books off of the shelves, especially since the $1 hike that took place for many books this past year. Marvel & DC have both had their orders cut a decent amount, but it's Marvel that's getting a bigger cut in our orders. This is the same for the rest of the chain. DC has a steady pace, Marvel severely fluctuates. "

Well Diamond sells out of them pretty quick.  At my store in Chicago there are 2nd printings like crazy.  Marvel also has owned the upper 40% and even 50% in comic shares and sells.  Maybe at your store it is different but my store sells pretty good with the Marvel stuff.  Cap Reborn #1 brought in waaaay more sales than Blackest Night #1 which shows you how an event at Marvel that does not carry the same amount of impact and tie-ins still brings in a lot of dough. I don't want this to turn into a Marvel vs. DC thing since this isn't the place to do it and I like both companies and comics as a whole. I lean towards Marvel yes but I'm just stating the facts I've read.   
#120 Posted by inferiorego (21233 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Wilson said:
" @inferiorego said:
" @jefprice said:
" @inferiorego: DC's comics aren't what keep them alive, it's the rights. WB keeps them up with other media, Marvel used comics to boost the other media while DC's comics are only now picking up in speed, and no one thinks that will last past BN. At least none of the retailers I've talked to. Now with Disney on board Marvel will go from 60% of the market on up. I was just talking to 2 comic shops who have cut all their order of DC back by at least 20% except for the BN Limited's. DC is doing ok now, but in all their years with the WB they've not done half as well as Marvel by itself, with Disney this is just going to get bigger. Disney will build up Marvel beyond anything we've ever seen, you really think is Disney wants to get DC there's anything to stop them? "
Um... As a person who works for one of the biggest comic book retailer chains in the country, I can personally say it is a struggle right now to get Marvel books off of the shelves, especially since the $1 hike that took place for many books this past year. Marvel & DC have both had their orders cut a decent amount, but it's Marvel that's getting a bigger cut in our orders. This is the same for the rest of the chain. DC has a steady pace, Marvel severely fluctuates. "
Well Diamond sells out of them pretty quick.  At my store in Chicago there are 2nd printings like crazy.  Marvel also has owned the upper 40% and even 50% in comic shares and sells.  Maybe at your store it is different but my store sells pretty good with the Marvel stuff.  Cap Reborn #1 brought in waaaay more sales than Blackest Night #1 which shows you how an event at Marvel that does not carry the same amount of impact and tie-ins still brings in a lot of dough. I don't want this to turn into a Marvel vs. DC thing since this isn't the place to do it and I like both companies and comics as a whole. I lean towards Marvel yes but I'm just stating the facts I've read.    "
I'm in the Chi burbs and we still have tons of Reborn #1 on the shelves, but BN #1 is sold out at our store (not the chain, but our store is)
Staff Online
#121 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yeah!
#122 Posted by Grey-Boss (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I need to know, does this mean the movies will be worse than they were once.

#123 Posted by SilverZeo (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they will bring back some their classic to comics, like Gargoyles or Darkwing.

#124 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Nerx said:
" Mmm... Kingdon Hearts with some marvel is guaranteed awesomeness "
I would love to see that... I've said before I don't think they'll add Marvel to KH (a bit of overkill with Square Enix, Disney *and* Marvel), but I hope to see a Marvel spin on it with Square Enix characters.  Which characters & locations would you have? :) "

Spider-Man or Wolverine as the party hero with the New, Mighty and Dark Avengers and the Fantastic Four making cameos. The locations, all over New York city.

On a side note, Disney has also made the Pirates of the Caribean (sp?) trilogy and that was by no means light-hearted Disney fun. So mayde they'd understand not touching Marvel more then people think.
#125 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm all for MODUCK though
#126 Posted by inferiorego (21233 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
"
I'm all for MODUCK though
"
AWESOME!!!! THAT IS F**KIN EPIC!
Staff Online
#127 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: HAHAHA!
#128 Posted by inferiorego (21233 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth: new AV!
Staff Online
#129 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Cloak and Dagger meets Timon and Pumba '

#130 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

#131 Posted by stormlover1994 (906 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG Whats next????? Nickelodeon buying DC  Universe... now that would be cool LOL yeah right

LOL
#132 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

#133 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

#134 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

#135 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Just the other day I was thinking of DCs ownership by Warners, and thought of who might own Marvel if it ever came to that. Disney was at, or very near, the top of that list. 

Disney has produced some of the pinnacles of entertainment in the last couple of decades alone, never mind since Walt and Roy and the bunch started it all. They are also tops in CG animation productions. That they don't already invest in Marvel in some way would be a surprise. 

Why did Marvel feel they had to sell themselves to Disney? Marvel is on a roll. Disney has certainly noticed Marvels upswing. Disney might have made them an offer that they pondered and liked, and they felt enhanced their own position, particularly when they have so many productions happening. 

The only thing that would increase the value for Disney of their Marvel acquisition is for them to just let Marvel be Marvel. Keep off the goods. Stay out of the kitchen. Hands off. And Disney should know why perfectly well, being Disney and not. The moment they mess with the method, the way, the rules of the Marvel House Of Ideas, is the moment Disney has lost their investment in Marvel, and the moment Marvel loses all credibility as a productive and money-earning investment property for Disney.

It's an excellent fit. Maybe much better than when Warners bought DC. Maybe much better. 

( This was a repost of an earlier post of mine, to a similarly themed news thread about the Disney acquisition of Marvel. ) 

#136 Posted by Breaker envoy of Setron (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy.. I can see it now, just put Magneto instead of Jafar..

#137 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:

I was starting to get tired of the Disney Hero parodies, but this one is pure GOLD!  If Marvel did parodies like this, they might actually sell! ;)
#138 Posted by biggkeem89 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

Donald Duck vs. Howard the Duck...I see potential
#139 Edited by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

We are truly witnessing corporation overload

Nice pics

#140 Posted by Kamen Rider Kajiki (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

Now Howard finally has a world to go back to.. xP

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.