Young Justice features the best portrayal of Dick Grayson out

• 82 results
#1 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Other, more eloquent ComicViners will likely have their own favorite, but Young Justice airs the most competent, melodrama-free incarnation of Dick Grayson in ages. No "bonehead move, Grayson!", no vigilante rape, no gimmicky story lines, no editorial-enforced kowtowing to Batman, no excessive objectifying or ditz-ifying. It's nice.

#2 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and thoughts?

#3 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike the Young Justice portrayal if i didn't know better id thought that was meant to be Tim Drake not Dick Grayson.Episode 24 performance is the only one that showed anything id associate with Dick everyone everything else to me shouts Tim Drake from the lack of green on his costume to how good he is with computers even his personality.

#4 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: His acrobatic ability and charm remind me of the comics' Dick, though. As far as the costume....I mean, Batman has worn several versions of the Batsuit. The New Adventures of Batman has the right air of modernness to it that the original costume lacked. Plus, Tim was not as confident as Dick was as this stage of their respective careers. Is it THAT jarring to watch a tech-savvy Dick Grayson?

#5 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor:

I never notice any particular good acrobatics by him in YJ (besides in Performance) as for the costume everytime Dick has appeared as Robin he has always had green on it even series like The Batman and Teen Titan were it had a moderner look it still had it while Tim Drake dropped the red in both the comics(not at first) and in the new batman adventures so i general asosiation associate a red and black robin with Tim Drake.As for being tech-savvy again computers were always Tim Drake's thing not Dick's so the way he comes off reminds me a lot more of Tim Drake then Dick even though Dick is my preferred Robin.

#6 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this version, he's got the great sense of humor and the episode where he's talking to Black Canary about how he doesn't want to become Batman really shows how Dick wants to be his own man.

#7 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: True, but the The Batman and Teen Titans were brighter, faster-paced shows aimed at a younger demographic. The green comes off as just too gaudy for the times. I just like the costume :) On that note, Dick having tech expertise reflects the challenges he faces in a post-Macbook world. In fact, Batman not educating Robin technology would have been a glaring omission on his training.

#8 Posted by cattlebattle (13401 posts) - - Show Bio
@VampireSelektor said:

@jack16ichigo:  On that note, Dick having tech expertise reflects the challenges he faces in a post-Macbook world. In fact, Batman not educating Robin technology would have been a glaring omission on his training.

Exactly....Young Justice is more or less an modernized retelling of the Golden Age, Tim Drake became Robin around the time computers had become common place, so naturally, since Batman incorporates a lot of technology in his crimefighting, its natural that Robin would also be more tech savvy.
#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not a bad portrayal of the character, but I've seen better.

#10 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio

Rather have, Tim.

#11 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor: @cattlebattle:

I don't have a problem with his tech navvyness(is that even a word ?) that isn't the main reason he reminds me more of Tim its just in general he appears more like Tim how he's usually portrayed and less of how Dick usual is that's all also Robin in The batman wasn't exactly bright.

#12 Posted by cattlebattle (13401 posts) - - Show Bio
@jack16ichigo said:

I don't have a problem with his tech navvyness(is that even a word ?) that isn't the main reason he reminds me more of Tim its just in general he appears more like Tim how he's usually portrayed and less of how Dick usual is that's all also Robin in The batman wasn't exactly bright.

He does resemble Tim but only in his costume...if you think its close this season...you should see his design for next season...I'm not sure if its Dick or actually Tim

How he acts is debatable, I mean Dick has been around for such a long time and has been written by so many writers he is always different, this is the case in his animated counterparts as well, Look at Teen Titans, he was portrayed more like Batman being utterly determined and callous. I actually think his personality on Young Justie reflects how Dick Grayson is supposed to be perfectly, although trained by Batman, his personality is very different
#13 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: Well yeah, The Batman was a poorly-conceived show. Plus, Robin's airhead stood in contrast to Batgirl's prodigy. And Dick, at least in his teens, wasn't as somber or reserved as Tim. I doubt that Tim would have approached Zatanna. Going back to his intelligence, Dick successfully led the Titans for years without fail, especially during the New Teen Titans era. Dark Victory also portrays a cunning and perceptive Dick-as-Robin, as well as Robin: Year One.

#14 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@jack16ichigo said:

He does resemble Tim but only in his costume...if you think its close this season...you should see his design for next season...I'm not sure if its Dick or actually Tim How he acts is debatable, I mean Dick has been around for such a long time and has been written by so many writers he is always different, this is the case in his animated counterparts as well, Look at Teen Titans, he was portrayed more like Batman being utterly determined and callous. I actually think his personality on Young Justie reflects how Dick Grayson is supposed to be perfectly, although trained by Batman, his personality is very different

Yeah i agree character are rarely consistent especially ones that have been around for so long and i looked up next season and yes he does look even more like Tim but its more than likely Dick still(i don't really care for the changes they've made ) but i still think its Dicks worse portrayal its not bad just not the best.

#15 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo said:

I dislike the Young Justice portrayal if i didn't know better id thought that was meant to be Tim Drake not Dick Grayson.Episode 24 performance is the only one that showed anything id associate with Dick everyone everything else to me shouts Tim Drake from the lack of green on his costume to how good he is with computers even his personality.

The computer is really the only thing that isn't Grayson. That and the costume, but that's a superficial decision and doesn't affect portrayal.

#16 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@jack16ichigo said:

The computer is really the only thing that isn't Grayson. That and the costume, but that's a superficial decision and doesn't affect portrayal.

As i said his personality and combat skills also remind me more of Drake as in every fights he's never appeared particularly acrobatic or no more so than the other characters without powers and the costume may superficial but it still contabutes to the overall feel and like cattlebattle said his personality has varied over the years so it can't be judge purely on how he acts(which i would still say is more similar to Drake)so overall he generally resembles Tim Drake more than Dick Grayson but that's my opinion.

#17 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: Dick's characterization has been consistent on at least his humor and outgoingness, though, not counting his serious attitude with the Teen Titans. But you're right, it's your opinion.

#18 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

@jack16ichigo: Dick's characterization has been consistent on at least his humor and outgoingness, though, not counting his serious attitude with the Teen Titans. But you're right, it's your opinion.

He isn't exactly funny in YJ all he ever does is use weird word like whelmed also Dick as always been consider a great leader even Batman said so but in YJ he hasn't shown particular skills in it at least no more than what Tim had.I just feel there are more quality's in this Robin that are more similar to Tim than to Dick and yes that is my opinion and yours is yours we just disagree.Can we at least agree the show is good ?

#19 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: Was that ever up for debate?

#20 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor: not at all i was just pointing something out we agree on since i'm not going to change my opinion.

#21 Posted by VampireSelektor (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: I can respect that.

#22 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor: thanks :D

#23 Posted by The Stegman (26079 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, YJ version of Dick is pretty awesome, especially how he figured out Artemis' whole secret before everyone else, and responded with "What? I'm a detective...." priceless.

#24 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel said:

Rather have, Tim.

shoulda been Tim, Bart, and Cissie

#25 Posted by cattlebattle (13401 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

Rather have, Tim.

shoulda been Tim, Bart, and Cissie

why??

This show is more like Teen Titans than the actual Teen Titans cartoon was. In fact, the Teen Titans cartoon was more silly and comical like the actual Young Justice comic, while this series is more dark and character driven like the Teen Titans comic was...... Its basically an amalgamation of both comic series and fresh ideas

This show is the beginning of the DC universe in another reality, so naturally these are all the first sidekicks that appeared, having Tim, Bart and Cissie would be strange as they showed up much later into the continuity...As for the teams name...they don't actually have one, they're just called the "the team"...Young Justice is just the name of the show
#26 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: I'm just a fan voicing my wishes, you know from earlier conversations that I enjoy YJ as it is but I simply feel it could have been just as good if not better using as much of the original YJ cast as possible. admittedly my reason for this belief is based in fan boyism but it could still be right

#27 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

@jack16ichigo: True, but the The Batman and Teen Titans were brighter, faster-paced shows aimed at a younger demographic. The green comes off as just too gaudy for the times. I just like the costume :) On that note, Dick having tech expertise reflects the challenges he faces in a post-Macbook world. In fact, Batman not educating Robin technology would have been a glaring omission on his training.

I have always said this. Over, and over again. Tim Drake fans need to just accept that it's a new day. DC has relaunched their entire universe for cripes sake, get with the times.

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo said:

@ReVamp said:

@jack16ichigo said:

As i said his personality and combat skills also remind me more of Drake as in every fights he's never appeared particularly acrobatic or no more so than the other characters without powers and the costume may superficial but it still contabutes to the overall feel and like cattlebattle said his personality has varied over the years so it can't be judge purely on how he acts(which i would still say is more similar to Drake)so overall he generally resembles Tim Drake more than Dick Grayson but that's my opinion.

I disagree.

#29 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Always the conscientious objector

#30 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: Me? I'm just opinionated. Not sharing your opinion promotes ignorance, which promotes stupidity, which dumps society in the ditch. Obviously that doesn't apply all that much to comic books characters, but I'm me.

#31 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Didn't say it was a bad thing. Variety is the spice of life after all

#32 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: Mhm.

#33 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@jack16ichigo said:

@ReVamp said:

@jack16ichigo said:

I disagree.

Ok ? you disagree with my opinion so what's yours ? i feel ive explained my opinion fully and don't to just repeat myself.

#34 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: That it's Dick Grayson? There's no point in debating opinion.

#35 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Good so answering VampireSelektor original question, no i don't think this Dick's best portrayal its not a bad portrayal just not the best.by the way That's MY opinion just in case someone wants to tell me its wrong again.

#36 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo said:

Good so answering VampireSelektor original question, no i don't think this Dick's best portrayal its not a bad portrayal just not the best.by the way That's MY opinion just in case someone wants to tell me its wrong again.

I said that I disagreed with it and that I wouldn't debate it since its clearly your opinion. So I didn't tell you it was wrong.

#37 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp:

That last bit is me trying to end this without swearing.

#38 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo said:

@ReVamp:

That last bit is me trying to end this without swearing.

End what? Why are you even angry? Because I disagree with your opinion?

#39 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp:

Im not angry but you said you disagree with me and i asked you what your opinion was and you just said its Dick Grayson something i wasn't even debating to begin with,i was just expressing how this portrayal reminds me more Tim Drake than Dick.

#40 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo said:

@ReVamp:

Im not angry but you said you disagree with me and i asked you what your opinion was and you just said its Dick Grayson something i wasn't even debating to begin with,i was just expressing how this portrayal reminds me more Tim Drake than Dick.

You misunderstood (perhaps because I wasn't clear enough). I meant that his portrayal reminded me of Dick Grayson, except for the computer thing which was used as an accommodation of his "function" in the team.

I could explain why, if you'd like, but I don't see the point.

#41 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp:

No you weren't very clear and yes that aspect isn't very Dick Grayson and i feel there are others that aren't as well.You don't have to explain why like i did if you don't want to as i know you probably have a good argument to why he reminds you of Dick.He just reminds me more of Tim that's all and that's my opinion and yours is yours which i can respect even though you disagree with me.Since the question itself is a matter of opinion.

#42 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: Exactly. As long as you respect my opinion and I respect yours :).

#43 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Good and I do,sorry if I came off angry I didn't mean too.So we agree to disagree.

#44 Posted by X9 (767 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree. It's not that I don't like YJ's Dick Grayson, it's just because he's a bit cocky to me. Too secure and sometimes too cold to be him, especially with 13 years old.

I know they've already shown differents sides of him, a more unsure and playful character, but still he's like too much for me. I mean, I know he's intelligent and stuff, but the super hacker thing makes him look like a mix of Tm Drake and Babs as Oracle :P

And sometimes his "I got it already, stop talking" makes him a little bit arrogant.

But yeah, comparing to what had been done to him in TT Tv series, he's waay much better.

Anyway, YJ is a new version of EVERYTHING, so it doesn't really matter the way they portray each character for DCnU comics or wahtsoever,

#45 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7562 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his character in Young Justice. This is one of my favorite portrayals of the character.

#46 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like him. But I would have like to seem him as Nightwing, so maybe we could see him help mentoring or act as a big brother to Tim.

#47 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Oh and I also feel like there would be a wider range of possible organic adventures with Bart being from the future and Secret being the doorway between life and death, along with a wider range of possible cameos with more characters being in existence later on. My final reason is that I don't like Artemis but that is the smallest reason for me wanting the cast change

#48 Posted by noj (1091 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that YJ is a great portrayal of a modern day Dick Grayson, and I wouldnt have had it any other way. I wouldve actually been really ticked if they had gone with Tim.

@RogueOracle: If the show ever does a times skip to show Dick as Nightwing they BETTER have Jason Todd be the second Robin, and not skip to Tim to accommodate his fans.

#49 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: True. I actually would kind of like them to incorporate Jason into the show though somehow because he really is such a compelling character.

#50 Edited by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

Fk tim, Jason needs to make up for lost (air)time

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.