will we ever see dick grayson as nightwing again?

#1 Posted by ultimatejones (74 posts) - - Show Bio

i personally like him more as batman
#2 Posted by iLLituracy (13546 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it, but hey...

#3 Posted by Icarusflies (12760 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is at some point he will modify the Batman costume, but he will not return to being just Nightwing.

#4 Posted by iLLituracy (13546 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like he's definitely going to ditch the cape. He's been complaining about the cape ever since he started being Batman. Either he's going to get rid of it or stop whining about it/get used to it.

#5 Posted by danhimself (21259 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say that at some point he is definitely going to go back to being Nightwing....if you think about it comic book characters really don't change that much...they don't stay dead and major costume changes usually don't last...there are a few exceptions but for the most part they always go back to the norm

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (89534 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like him as Batman at all but I would like him to stay as Batman and for Wayne to stay as the Insider.It would make all the character cloning comic companies do worth a crap.You really don't need a Dick Grayson if there's a Bruce Wayne.Don't get me wrong I like Grayson and Wayne but as long as Batman is Bruce Wayne there is really no reason for Nightwing to exist.

#7 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

All in due time.

#8 Posted by Falcon9 (71 posts) - - Show Bio
@saiyan_earthling: I agree bud.
#9 Posted by the_fallen11 (642 posts) - - Show Bio

He wont go back to Nightwing, I feel it would be an insult and a huge step back for the character, he has progressed too much as Batman, I like him as Batman, hes different he doesnt brood in the shadows like Bruce, he fights crime with a smile, on top of him being a different Batman, his relationship with Damien is amazing, and he's the only one that really "knows" him....no I feel that Dick is too valuable to the Bat family and Bruce would never ask him to step down as Batman, with that being said I think Dick's Batman is here to stay.

#10 Posted by guardiandevil801 (399 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe in time
#11 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

In some ways, I do want him back as Nightwing, and in other ways, I like him as Batman. I do like the idea a while back where Cassandra Cain could be the new Nightwing.

#12 Posted by daredevil21134 (14014 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_fallen11 said:
"

He wont go back to Nightwing, I feel it would be an insult and a huge step back for the character, he has progressed too much as Batman, I like him as Batman, hes different he doesnt brood in the shadows like Bruce, he fights crime with a smile, on top of him being a different Batman, his relationship with Damien is amazing, and he's the only one that really "knows" him....no I feel that Dick is too valuable to the Bat family and Bruce would never ask him to step down as Batman, with that being said I think Dick's Batman is here to stay.

"

I really doubt he'll stay as Batman.....I think once Grant Morrison leaves so does Batman Inc
#13 Posted by primepower53 (6064 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_fallen11 said:
"

"

How is Nightwing a step back. He was out of Bruce's shadow and now as Batman's has back in it. Don't get me wrong I love him as Batman. It's just that Nightwing was a spot he earned, and he should be back to that some time in the future. Bruce should always remain Batman, as Dick should always be Nightwing.
#14 Posted by primepower53 (6064 posts) - - Show Bio

I've actually been thinking about this for a while, and I'm actually conflicted on whether or not I want Dick to go back to being Nightwing or staying as Batman. Either way eventually he would be moved to the back of the book.

#15 Posted by Anthony Robson92 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Dick as Batman but it just feels inevitable that he'll go back to Nightwing. Personally I feel as though we'll be seeing a storyline in the near future where something challenges Dick's judgement and makes him reconsider his ability to be Batman which will likely end with him deciding he's more comfortable in his role as Nightwing.
#16 Posted by Benuben (233 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope not. That would be big step back for him as a character.
#17 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone else should be Nightwing =P

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (25874 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does everyone keep saying that nightwing is a step back for Dick. He was being his own man and proving he could be a hero without Bruce. Becoming Batman seems more like he just gave up on who he was this is basically like being forced into your dad's job 

#19 Posted by xander_cole (272 posts) - - Show Bio

dick once said that  a cape was not his style because of his skills of acrobatics, the cape do not allow him space and form for his fighting style and that is why he created the nightwing suit without cape, which means sooner or later he might wanna go nightwing again or maybe customize a litle more the batman suit

#20 Posted by primepower53 (6064 posts) - - Show Bio
@xander_cole said:
"dick once said that  a cape was not his style because of his skills of acrobatics, the cape do not allow him space and form for his fighting style and that is why he created the nightwing suit without cape, which means sooner or later he might wanna go nightwing again or maybe customize a litle more the batman suit"

If he were to customize it, he might go with the Terry McGinnis Batman suit, or something like that.
#21 Posted by noj (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

I definatley like him alot more as Batman than I did as Nightwing, and I think he will remain Batman for the foreseeable future for one main reason, he sells more books as Batman than he ever did as Nightwing.

#22 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15463 posts) - - Show Bio

No and it is completely out of his character for him to "out grow" it like they are implying 

#23 Posted by Theodore (3607 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I hope he modifies his Batman suit though.

#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (14014 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"No and it is completely out of his character for him to "out grow" it like they are implying  "

I agree
#25 Posted by Jor-el Zod (162 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134:
i don't think he is going back. with him now leading the jusice league and protecting gothom and teaching damian i think he's supassed bruce. though i dont think he'll stay batman either.  but what ever it is it will be big. you bet on that!
#26 Posted by KidSupreme (848 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him either way!... But i guess Dick Grayson won`t be able to SOLO as Batman I think a lot of people would be confused ... There would be a series with Batman (Bruce Wayne) ... Batmann (Dick Grayson) .. So i guess he would be soloing for awhile..

#27 Posted by SladeRogers (356 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that if Batman, Inc doesn't work out (which it might not), he'll go back to being Nightwing. Why? Because even though he has an amazing relationship with Damian and has progressed so much, he still needs to be his own hero. Dick as Nightwing would be somewhat as a step back, but having experience as Batman, he can intergrate it into his own heroics. And if Inc fails (sorry to mention it again) Dick will most definitely return to being Nightwing because Bruce will have Gotham back and he'll want his own city again.

#28 Posted by daredevil21134 (14014 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many people seem to like him as Batman
#29 Posted by ForgottenZeroes (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course Dick as Nightwing will be back.  In fact at this point I am surprised that B Gordon hasnt returned as Batgirl.  The time was that there were two rules in the DCU in relation to deaths:  Barry Allen and Jason Todd stay dead.  We see how that worked though.  

#30 Posted by longbowhunter (8489 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Dick as Batman. But I see him stepping away from the cowl at some point.
#31 Posted by daredevil21134 (14014 posts) - - Show Bio
@longbowhunter said:
"I love Dick as Batman. But I see him stepping away from the cowl at some point. "
#32 Posted by PrinceIMC (5505 posts) - - Show Bio

What about when he starts up Nightwing Inc and starts training Nightwings all over the world....but seriously if he's not going to use the name he should train a replacement.
#33 Posted by RedHoodJT (538 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see him going back to being Nightwing but I highly doubt it will be anytime soon if at all. I can see him making a suit that is more like Batman Beyonds because there's no cape. I think that would be cool. But i just don't see them changing him back to Nightwing.

#34 Posted by TheCrowbar (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure soon as he's done raising Daiman then Batman(Bruce Wayne) will suddenly reappear and kick them both out.

#35 Posted by Green Skin (2943 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly think the next Nightwing we see will be Damian.

#36 Posted by daredevil21134 (14014 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he should be Nightwing
#37 Posted by Tyler Starke (4326 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely he will, I'd bet money on it

#38 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably... But no so soon... I think that Damian will eventually become a superhero identity that is a homage to nightwing.
#39 Edited by nightwing188 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_fallen11:

Dude, Bruce Wayne became became Batman again over 4 years ago. Dick then became Nightwing again, and now he is working undercover for Batman as an agent in an organization called "Spyral". This forum isn't about Dick stepping down as Batman and becoming Nightwing, its about Dick quitting the whole Spyral thing and becoming Nightwing again.

#40 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1907 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_fallen11:

Dude, Bruce Wayne became became Batman again over 4 years ago. Dick then became Nightwing again, and now he is working undercover for Batman as an agent in an organization called "Spyral". This forum isn't about Dick stepping down as Batman and becoming Nightwing, its about Dick quitting the whole Spyral thing and becoming Nightwing again.

What a coincidence as this thread was also made over 4 years ago, around the same time Dick was Batman.....by necro-ing the thread, surely you would have noticed that?

#42 Posted by SmoothJammin (2417 posts) - - Show Bio

lol^^

I'm wishlisting 2 books after Convergence. One focused purely on Agent Grayson running with Spyral. The other being Nightwing, if DC can retcon Dick's identity being exposed to the world.

#43 Posted by Nightwing_786 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. Future's End confirmed that he wouldn't. I only read the first issue of Grayson Future's End and I hated it and despised it and I burned it in my BBQ grill. I don't know what is going on in the rest of Future's En, but if it goes how I think it would, maybe Batman Beyond will change it and THAT will never be canon. I'm praying for it. Please New 52/DC PLEEEEASE!

#44 Edited by nightwingism (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. Future's End confirmed that he wouldn't. I only read the first issue of Grayson Future's End and I hated it and despised it and I burned it in my BBQ grill. I don't know what is going on in the rest of Future's En, but if it goes how I think it would, maybe Batman Beyond will change it and THAT will never be canon. I'm praying for it. Please New 52/DC PLEEEEASE!

You really hated the one shot story (so there is only the first, which is also the last) that much that you burned it? Total waste of money, never letting you borrow one of my books. Future's end is a weird thing, because it is confirmed but it was initially designed as a "What if...?" story, so while these are kind of set in stone, they are also not.

Futures End is taking place in the 5 years from now timeline, so nothing is really going to be effected that will change the stories. 15 years into the future is fixing 5 years into the future, so, in canon terms, everything happens still.

I thought it captured the elements of Dick Grayson pretty well though. And Tom King did a fantastic job writing the issue, I will never not compliment Tom King's writing, or Tim Seeley's but this is about Tom King right now. You know, except for him killing KGBeast. But honestly, it isn't really that far fetched to see Dick risk it all to end something that caused so much death and destruction. It was legit the only possible route he could of took.

#45 Posted by nightwingism (138 posts) - - Show Bio

lol^^

I'm wishlisting 2 books after Convergence. One focused purely on Agent Grayson running with Spyral. The other being Nightwing, if DC can retcon Dick's identity being exposed to the world.

They couldn't really do that. They'd have to set one of the stories in the past, probably the Nightwing one. They can't have Dick Grayson as a Spy AND Superhero in two books, you know how bad the continuity would be then?

What they could do though, is something like see those early 5 years with the 2 Robin Years, 2 Nightwing Years and 1 Batman year story.

#46 Posted by QuinnoftheStoneAge (706 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwingism said:

@smoothjammin said:

lol^^

They couldn't really do that. They'd have to set one of the stories in the past, probably the Nightwing one. They can't have Dick Grayson as a Spy AND Superhero in two books, you know how bad the continuity would be then?

What they could do though, is something like see those early 5 years with the 2 Robin Years, 2 Nightwing Years and 1 Batman year story.

I would love to see a story with Dick as Robin!

#47 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

Never trust a future story to be set in stone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.