Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9430 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Why shouldn't Dick use a gun?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People keeps saying he was a cop but he never used his gun on duty. He only carried one

So that's a bad argument.

Is there a issue or some story that tells why hes against of doing that?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JakeN7

@redwingx: If you have to ask that question, then you don't know Dick Grayson very well.

At least they said their making it a big part of his identity shift in the first arc of the new series, and it's partly symbolic in nature as well.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please tell me then

I need solid proof against people who are like "but he was a "cop".

dropkickjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Batman doesn't want him to. How is Dick going to stay in Batman's shadow if he starts thinking for himself on complex moral issues and coming to his own, independent conclusions!

That being said, we still don't know if he'll ever even use lethal force. We can rest assured that he won't transform into the punisher or anything.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^True enough. Having a gun doesn't mean the person wielding it has to constantly use it, kill anyone he comes across, or even go to it as his first line of defense. Given how skilled Dick is, and the fact we've seen images of him wielding Escrima Sticks, i'm hoping the gun won't be focused on too much.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JayAaerow

False.

He rarely but has used guns various times. Carried one as a cop even(as you know already). The reason why people point out his time as a cop because while he carried one, he rarely use it and certainly never killed anyone when he finally used it. The point of using the cop arugment shows that while he can carry a gun all he wants, the chances of him actually killing is low

Being a cop is all the proof you need.It shows Dick Grayson is capable of holding and using a gun but never to kill anyone or go off offing people like people think he will. However, If you want me to pull up scans of him using any sort of gun, I do have a few in mind. He has used anestetic darts, foam guns, and even a real gun to shoot down something and all those times he didn't kill anyone with it whatsoever. He can use them non-lethally or use an alternative to bullets. there's many ways he can get around with using a gun and not killing anyone with it. But other then that, I'm really getting annoyed at this topic.

This is another topic stamped by "Batman wouldn't approve" or "he's been taught to not do this" when this topic was touched upon as his time as a Officer. We should know very well by now that Dick Grayson knows what he's doing and people of DC aren't that stupid to make him off people so easily. They even went far as to say the gun issue will be dealt upon and is part of the story of him being an Agent.

Who cares if he's somehow becoming Dc's answer to Winter Soldier or he's being another Jason Todd? The funny part is Winter soldier starting out was based off of him and he carried a gun before Jason Todd was even revived(Nightwing Vol 1 started in the 1990s.) and is 74 years old.

Really, this problem reveals exactly why he can't escape from Batman's shadow: Too many people tie him down because Batman. It's really dumb. Who cares If Bruce doesn't approve of the use of guns. I find this funny anyway, seeing as Batman in Red Hood and the Outlaws even pointed out he's letting it go because it's not his place to tell anyone how to do their methods when they actually get some results. Plus, he's not Dick Grayson's real dad and really has no bounds other then if Dick Grayson feels like Batman is steering him the right direction. It's Grayson's choice, not Batman.

Also, there's the fact the argument he shouldn't use a gun is based on a cover of a book. Judging a book by it's cover figuratively and literally. How many times have DC had covers that had little to do with what's displayed? Or tells you one thing but means another? Also, again, this has been done in some form with him being a cop. And look what happen. Despite the Nightwing Vol 1's flaws, they handled him as a cop just fine.

My point is stop jumping the gun. Whoever reads this and thinks Dick Grayson is going to be a globe trotting murderer needs to stop and wait until the book actually comes out. Also keep in mind:

• The Book actually has a decent creative team not unheard of. We even have a former spy writing it! How many comicbooks have ACTUAL SPIES CO WRITING?! Seriously! The Writer also is known to be good and fun writer.
    • The people who help screwed him(Snyder. *GLARES*) and that creative team have agreed to not interfere! Like there's no crossovers. I understand we hate him being distant from the Batfamily but it's about time. Too many writers are too tempted to use him to prop other character, including his own family, in an effort to make them look good.
    • The book actually focuses on him as a star and will AT LEAST TRY making him competent and an able hero as a spy!

Instead of declaring the book a fail, we should try making sure this doesn't flop. The people writing Grayson ACTUALLY have the TALENT AND TOOLS to make hm good. Our problems use to be we lacked both! Now we have it...but we're to busy thinking cause he's not Nightwing or Batman, this isn't good. Lets not judge it when there's only pictures.

New 52 Dick Grayson has been a lot. But this is finally a chance to fill in the void with good development. We should be encouraging the people doing this to do their best and not to screw up. Or else we riot in their facebook feeds and twitter mentions and tumblr posts and show them real fear.

dropkickjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Was he even a cop in the New 52?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't need one, and doesn't kill. But it doesn't look like this is Dick's big chance to get away from batman though since it is batman who sent him on this mission and will probably be in contact with him somehow.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Who cares If he doesn't need one? He's having it now most likely cause his occupation calls for him to have one on him(As a cop, he had to get one nonetheless. Though with Spyral, they actually have agents without guns like El Gauncho and the Hood.). It's not that big of a deal since it's been done in a way first time around. And who says he's killing? The book isn't even out yet and all we have is covers. Seriously. You're judging a book by it's cover literally and figuratively. Wait until the book comes out. If he starts doing that, I'll happily join you in anything that'll mean we let DC know they're in the wrong. But until then....chill. XD

I want him not under Batman's shadow and I be more then happy If DC got the balls to push him away from Batman for a little bit and actually give him development. At the same time, though, I can see why they would want Bruce and Dick to be close somehow. It's a father/son relationship and one of the oldest. Not everyone in DC is willing to make Bruce and Dick that distant. Unlike Superman and Lois, they seem to value anything relationships Bruce has that makes him such a compelling character. And whether or not they like to admit it, Dick Grayson has help that so much. While many of DC hireups see's him as a Supporting Character like Gordon(I'd argue Gordon is so awesome he can carry his own series if done right), many of his fans argue he's so much more. However, DC is DC and don't want to infringe on that in anyway. It could be that or they want him in his shadow forever. In any case, my point is I do feel with that he needs to be distant from everyone including Batman. However, I also feel they shouldn't have not come to even having this. His family has every right to see their older brother be awesome. And they themselves should join in, too. So with Batman knowing, it's not bothering me as much as it intially did until I gave it thought.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By waezi2

Well, I suppose he could use a gun. There has been superheroes before who used guns, but not to kill. Like the Phantom, his gun was pretty much as important to him as the utility-belt was to Batman.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

He doesn't need one, and doesn't kill. But it doesn't look like this is Dick's big chance to get away from batman though since it is batman who sent him on this mission and will probably be in contact with him somehow.

Don't know. Has his time in Bludhaven even been hinted at?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Yeah, I don't see the big deal.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By AllStarSuperman

He should use high tech gear like Sam Fisher, tranquilizers, rubber bullets, sticky shockers, etc. No lethal stuff.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: No. Bludhaven is erased from the continuity.

@transformers1024: No. But why does that matter? He's still been a cop in a continuity that had him pretty established beforehand. It's not like it was an else world.

@allstarsuperman: I've seen it said that it was hinted he might fall back to using the stuff you just mentioned instead of real bullets.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should use high tech gear like Sam Fisher, tranquilizers, rubber bullets, sticky shockers, etc. No lethal stuff.

Probably what he will use, similar to Jason. Also makes the most sense, as I don't see him being comfortable using lethal force in such a way. And if he can still take down any opponent he comes across, just like he always has in the past, I don't see why any of his superiors would care anyways.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Mikel Janin (the main artist for 'Grayson') was asked about this on twitter and his response was

"If you were a spy you would have a gun too. How you would use the gun probably is not how Dick would use it! :)"

@jayaaerow: I think that the longer Dick Grayson is involved in Spyral, the more he'll drift apart from Bruce, or at least that's how I would write it.

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe the gun isn't a lethal one

there exists guns that shoot to incapacitate not kill right?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.