Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

why dont we have a Nightwing T.V. show

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By havoc1201

we had a young superman show that lasted like 10 seasons and now Arrow is doing pretty well, we even had a Birds of Prey show that didnt last long but still why doesnt the WB back a live action Nightwing show. It could start with Dick just becoming Nightwing and he and Batman do not speak which would allow him to be a solo Hero and we could have flash backs to him being robin after a few episodes, and then in later seasons we can introduce Batman with Tim Drake as robin just for geust apperance. I really think this would work and sell as a show it could be more popular then smallville. What do you guys think

Maikky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Maikky

I think since they "introduced" a Robin in the movie there most likely going to make movies and a T.V. show may be a little bit redundant .

If they were going to make a bat show, it would most likely focus on someone that isn't one of the Robins or Batman .

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By TheCrowbar

Because it wouldn't be pitched properly.

The fact that CW is taking up so many comic shows, is something they should be applauded for but they need to do something about the writing of Arrow.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By havoc1201

@Maikky: but by them using Nightwing it sets up another Hero that will make people watch because they want to see appearances of Batman plus Nightwings early years are great he is angry with bruce which sets a great tone about him trying to make his on way in the world plus we could have great guest like we did on smallville.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VampireSelektor

How many live-action series have done a hero justice?

While pondering that question, try this on for size: "Young Justice is the story of Dick Grayson growing up and facing his destiny". Destiny here means the greatest challenge Dick will ever face, the event that defines his legend. What's great about TV and film adaptations for comics is there's a finite beginning, middle, and ending. Certain plot points are left to viewer speculations. Characters are never made redundant, thus no need for reboots. Continuity is more a warm reminder than a lengthy, convoluted bill. It's nice.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vernierhawk001

@VampireSelektor said:

While pondering that question, try this on for size: "Young Justice is the story of Dick Grayson growing up and facing his destiny". Destiny here means the greatest challenge Dick will ever face, the event that defines his legend. What's great about TV and film adaptations for comics is there's a finite beginning, middle, and ending. Certain plot points are left to viewer speculations. Characters are never made redundant, thus no need for reboots. Continuity is more a warm reminder than a lengthy, convoluted bill. It's nice.

I agree. Personally, I would hate to see a Nightwing live action tv drama. Why? As you said, I don't think they do the character justice. I don't think the special effects will be what they should to bring Gotham and DG to life. The quality of the acting is questionable. And, above all, you might get a writer who is more interested in writing "drama" for the character than giving a compelling portrayal......a writer who doesn't respect the fandom. Live action adaptations have to have a proper budget, writer and actors first

And I love your point about YJ being about DG because he's is certainly a big reason I come back week to week (when Cartoon network isn't being stupid). I love how the show has taken a darker take on DG....one that is really struggling with the reality that he's becoming Batman

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VampireSelektor

@vernierhawk001 said:

@VampireSelektor said:

I agree. Personally, I would hate to see a Nightwing live action tv drama. Why? As you said, I don't think they do the character justice. I don't think the special effects will be what they should to bring Gotham and DG to life. The quality of the acting is questionable. And, above all, you might get a writer who is more interested in writing "drama" for the character than giving a compelling portrayal......a writer who doesn't respect the fandom. Live action adaptations have to have a proper budget, writer and actors first

And I love your point about YJ being about DG because he's is certainly a big reason I come back week to week (when Cartoon network isn't being stupid). I love how the show has taken a darker take on DG....one that is really struggling with the reality that he's becoming Batman

Exactly. Young Justice is one extended arc around Dick Grayson.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LuigiBat

If you're going to make a Nightwing live action show it'd have to be done by HBO (who Warner Bros, owners of DC, also happen to own), I can't see any other network being able to pull it off to a good enough standard. Given how successful Game of Thrones has been they'd get a lot of backing from fans as they've been able to provide a faithful representation of one fantasy world already. HBO are the only ones who could get a Nightwing show done to a good standard as their track record should ensure they'd be given a good budget and a good crop of actors to choose from.

That being said, there is so much that can go wrong with a live action show, the main risk is that they hire someone for the main role who audiences just don't really like or warm to. In an animated series they can change character's costume/appearances and alter things easily enough to reconcile audiences, producers of a live action show have no such luxuries, so if they mess up they're pretty much screwed.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that it'd have to be done by HBO.

I also agree that Young Justice really is just an extended arc for Dick Grayson, and I look at Teen Titan's in the same light. And what's really important about both is that they do what the comics currently aren't anymore (For some strange, strange reason). Show the character at his finest, covering major points and providing character development, while also showing how important his bond with his team is in his life and who he is as a character.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By havoc1201

i agree HBO would be the best route by far and i love young justice i just see a really story that could be told but it never really gets touched on in any of the seris and thats him getting away and being his own hero i know in young justice he is being his own hero but he is not alone and he and Batman have a great relationship when the story of their falling out is a good one and how dick wants to be his own man, in BAS they scraped the surface of that story but it could make a great live action, also if they start with Dick just becoming Nightwing then we can referance death in the family later on and so many other great books that we will probably never see on the big screen.

KZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KZR

I would like a Nightwing animated tv series. Not so sure about a live action one.

darkwingdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By darkwingdan
    KZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KZR

@darkwingdan: A show I would've watched and might've enjoyed.

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By britsera

Big problem is being in the shadow of the bat. Say you're at TV exec and you got a pitch about a show in Gotham. Are you going to go for Bats or NW?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By daredevil21134

@britsera said:

Big problem is being in the shadow of the bat. Say you're at TV exec and you got a pitch about a show in Gotham. Are you going to go for Bats or NW?

agreed with the problem

Nightwing28710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nightwing28710

@daredevil21134 said:

@britsera said:

agreed with the problem

Nightwing in Bludhaven. The city was even mentioned in Arrow.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By havoc1201

also later you can work in Batman when they find the right actor and when Dick is ready to talk about their falling out. i know this is just a dream but we have series like Arrow when Nightwing is a much more interesting character IMO with such great stories.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By moywar700

There was going to be a show called the graysons on the cw.It never made it past development stage.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nightwing28710 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@britsera said:

agreed with the problem

Exactly. A Nightwing show has no business being placed in Gotham. Look at Teen Titans and how successful that was. Do the same thing but focus specifically on Dick Grayson in Bludhaven (Or whatever city besides Gotham) and have other heroes/characters brought in or mentioned sporadically, while also creating a unique cast for Dick. The cast doesn't even have to be made of entirely new characters, as long as its a solid one.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By havoc1201

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

@Nightwing28710 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@britsera said:

agreed with the problem

Exactly. A Nightwing show has no business being placed in Gotham. Look at Teen Titans and how successful that was. Do the same thing but focus specifically on Dick Grayson in Bludhaven (Or whatever city besides Gotham) and have other heroes/characters brought in or mentioned sporadically, while also creating a unique cast for Dick. The cast doesn't even have to be made of entirely new characters, as long as its a solid one.

Exactly you could have babs on there every once and awhile and have set when Jason Todd is Robin and Dick does not want anything to do with Batman then in later seasons Todd gets killed then we can introduce Tim trying to get Nightwing to come back so we could have plenty of seasons with just Dick we could referance Batman and the fall out with a reconciliation in later seasons but there are so many stories to tell and some many great characters to bring as guests I think out of all the DC characters Dick would be perfect for live action they would not need a huge special effects budget for him because he is human, It really could work.

bigsams50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could always introduce Nightwing in Arrow, and see what kind of reception he gets. Then go from there.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could always introduce Nightwing in Arrow, and see what kind of reception he gets. Then go from there.

That's always one way to go. Hell, i'm convinced that a major reason for Arrow even existing is because of the fact GA was well received in Smallville.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! I'd definitely watch a Nightwing show!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I'd rather see a Red Hood show to be honest. Dick and Tim were in Young Justice, Batman the Animated Series, Teen Titans, and pretty much every Batman movie. Other then Under the Red Hood which was about Jason. In everything else Jason is pretty much always skipped over and left out, and he's the best thing to come out of Batman in my option so I hope they made a Red Hood show someday because he needs the exposure a lot more then Dick.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I'd rather see a Red Hood show to be honest. Dick and Tim were in Young Justice, Batman the Animated Series, Teen Titans, and pretty much every Batman movie. Other then Under the Red Hood which was about Jason. In everything else Jason is pretty much always skipped over and left out, and he's the best thing to come out of Batman in my option so I hope they made a Red Hood show someday because he needs the exposure a lot more then Dick.

A lot of that is because he has one of the smallest fanbases in the family lol there's a reason he was the one that got killed by vote.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

A lot of that is because he has one of the smallest fanbases in the family lol there's a reason he was the one that got killed by vote.

That statement could only be true pre 2010 to be honest. I think last year the Red Hood bored here might have been the second most popular bored for quite awhile.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@teerack said:

That statement could only be true pre 2010 to be honest. I think last year the Red Hood bored here might have been the second most popular bored for quite awhile.

The boards aren't really a decent judge of popularity, as you can have less than 20 people going at it across multiple threads. And in terms of last year, there was one Red Hood fan in particular that was quite the troll who stirred up quite a bit of trouble with his statements lol I remember that quite well. Though I think 2nd most popular is a large exaggeration myself. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Wolverine, etc. There are quite a few boards that are consistently filled with debate without any rest.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

The boards aren't really a decent judge of popularity, as you can have less than 20 people going at it across multiple threads. And in terms of last year, there was one Red Hood fan in particular that was quite the troll who stirred up quite a bit of trouble with his statements lol I remember that quite well. Though I think 2nd most popular is a large exaggeration myself. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Wolverine, etc. There are quite a few boards that are consistently filled with debate without any rest.

I wasn't basing my entire statement on this bored it was just an example. And I think it was around the time the Red Hood movie came out it was jumping around the popular forms for a few months. Regardless Red Hood as picked up a ton of traction in the past few years similar to what happened with Deadpool from 2006-2009.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

I wasn't basing my entire statement on this bored it was just an example. And I think it was around the time the Red Hood movie came out it was jumping around the popular forms for a few months. Regardless Red Hood as picked up a ton of traction in the past few years similar to what happened with Deadpool from 2006-2009.

Well that I won't deny, as every character has different arcs/runs where they experience different levels of popularity. Yet, Jason Todd is still not as popular as the two Robins who have seen more attention in animated adaptations, Dick and Tim, or Bruce, which was my original point.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Teerack

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

Well that I won't deny, as every character has different arcs/runs where they experience different levels of popularity. Yet, Jason Todd is still not as popular as the two Robins who have seen more attention in animated adaptations, Dick and Tim, or Bruce, which was my original point.

I know the other Robins are more popular... My point was to truly capitalize on Jason's growing popularity they need to push for more exposure. It is true that Jason isn't in the top three most popular characters from the Bat Family, but he's defiantly not unpopular enough to think a Red Hood show would fail. In all honestly I know Jason was left out of a lot of things souly because his origin/character is a little too dark for most cartoon network/WB shows, and if Young Justice wasn't canceled he was probably going to show up because they kept on making references to his death there was also talk that Red X in Teen Titans was going to be Jason Todd, but that show also got canceled before his identity was revealed and he was defiantly a fan favorite of that show. Jason is really held back by bad luck.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

I know the other Robins are more popular... My point was to truly capitalize on Jason's growing popularity they need to push for more exposure. It is true that Jason isn't in the top three most popular characters from the Bat Family, but he's defiantly not unpopular enough to think a Red Hood show would fail. In all honestly I know Jason was left out of a lot of things souly because his origin/character is a little too dark for most cartoon network/WB shows, and if Young Justice wasn't canceled he was probably going to show up because they kept on making references to his death there was also talk that Red X in Teen Titans was going to be Jason Todd, but that show also got canceled before his identity was revealed and he was defiantly a fan favorite of that show. Jason is really held back by bad luck.

And that's all I was saying, as to why he's specifically been left out but the other two haven't. Heck, even Damian appeared in Brave and the Bold for an ep, whereas Jason pretty much always gets the same cameo-like treatment about him being dead. Truth be told, I think each Robin would be capable of holding their own show...maybe not Stephanie, but definitely the males.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nathaniel_christopher:

There are no superpowers in the Arrow universe.

They're going to have to rework a lot of characters to make the setting more realistic.

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By nightwingnerd

We need a Nightwing show It would rock.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcn24454 said:

@nathaniel_christopher:

There are no superpowers in the Arrow universe.

They're going to have to rework a lot of characters to make the setting more realistic.

...OK....I have no idea what this is supposed to be in response to.

sonofodin25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally agree. Set it in the same universe as Arrow & The Flash. Also, throw Roy Harper into an episode to get a "Teen Titans" idea rolling. Maybe bring over Slade Wilson as a villain as well.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Idk why

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.