Why did Dick become Nightwing?

#1 Posted by MUTANT413 (402 posts) - - Show Bio

ive been researching nightwing because he interests me. one of the things that interests me most about him is why he split off from batman. 
everybody says its because he had a disagreement with bruce and his methods. ive tried researching him to find more details on what happened and what they disagreed over, but i cant find anything other "dick thought it was time to grow up and he didn't need batman anymore, so he became nightwing" and all that. 

but come on. for the original boy wonder to split off from his partnership with the dark knight, there has to be more to the story than that. 

what did dick and bruce disagree over? why was it so severe that dick made such a major life change?

#2 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

At the time, Dick was a teenager, he was doing what teenagers do: rebelling against his "father" because he was becoming his own man, he wanted to move out of the shadow of the bat and become what Batman was, just doing it his own way.

As for the disagreement, Dick and Bruce have different ideologies about things, Bruce is fairly bitter, angry and dark, whereas Dick is lighter and makes more jokes, so he probably disagreed with Bruce's methods.

#3 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13274 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce wanted him to quit the titans, I believe.

#4 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he just didn't want to be known as "the guy who hangs out with batman" and he wanted people to know him as a solo hero.

#5 Posted by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

Pick up Nightwing year one. Funny thing is you could be learning it just in time for DC to change it with how it happend in the new 52.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson said:

Pick up Nightwing year one. Funny thing is you could be learning it just in time for DC to change it with how it happend in the new 52.

Though that's from a different perspective of how it happened originally, as the Teen Titans don't appear in there. So it depends on which one you want to do for, really.

#7 Posted by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

true dat ReVamp but seeing as he wasn't a titan in the new 52 I figured this was the best pick.

#8 Posted by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

It was because of the Joker. Joker shot him Bruce didn't want him to be in any danger so he told him he couldn't be Robin anymore. Dick was angry at that so he left and went to lead the Titans then later leave the Teen Titans and become Nightwing.

#9 Edited by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick didn't leave the Teen Titans he took a break to figure out what he wanted to call himself. he left in Teen Titans issue 39 as Robin and was back by 44 as Nightwing .

#10 Posted by SuperDoahBoy (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106: I also thought it was something along the lines of he just wanted to get out of The Bat's shadow.

#11 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11745 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on all these posts, you can summarize that basically Dick was hurt, Bruce said "Dick, you gotta take a break", Dick was like NAH FCK THAT, became nightwing.

#12 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a multitude of things really

#13 Posted by Telcalipoca (959 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the year one explanation. dick was helping the TT and bruce and bruce said robin has to be by batmans side at all times and since youre not get lost.but i think the titans might not have existed in the new 52 so i guess that story is out.

#14 Posted by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

We get to see Dick's new origin story in Nightwing #0 in September.

#15 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Telcalipoca: They existed in one form or another as evidenced in Red Hood ATO #7 I believe. None of us can speak for Kyle, there's no way to tell. I'm going to get mindfukked in 0 issue

#16 Posted by Telcalipoca (959 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@Telcalipoca: They existed in one form or another as evidenced in Red Hood ATO #7 I believe. None of us can speak for Kyle, there's no way to tell. I'm going to get mindfukked in 0 issue

...whats issue 0?

#18 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson: I have a bad feeling we're not going to get all the answers we're looking for :l

#19 Edited by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin Have faith old chum. I just hope his story from becoming Robin to his transition to Nightwing is told.

#20 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

batman was a douche

#21 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson: I kno I kno.. his origins mean too much to me honestly. It's how I'm going to remember him from now on. I don't want to be kicked in the nuts.. it's got me nervous is all. I have confidence in Mr. Higgins

#22 Posted by cbishop (8352 posts) - - Show Bio

@MUTANT413:

Dick didn't leave the Teen Titans he took a break to figure out what he wanted to call himself. he left in Teen Titans issue 39 as Robin and was back by 44 as Nightwing .

That's the bare bones of the original reason.

I don't remember the specifics of the disagreement, but basically, Dick & Bruce disagreed over Batman's methods, and Dick had his own life with Kory and the Titans. He walked away in #39 (so did Wally) and a couple issues later, the Judas Contract hit, where Deathstroke finally fulfilled his contract to the HIVE, to deliver the Titans. Dick had been attacked by Slade, but had escaped, so even though he wasn't Robin, he was still involved. Things got desperate, Slade's ex-wife brought their son, Jericho, to help, and Dick put the Nightwing costume on for the first time.

His initial thought was that his new identity honored both of his mentors. I don't remember if he said it outright, but he was referring to Batman & Superman. The reason that the Nightwing identity did that so beautifully was this: pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths (COIE), Superman sometimes went into the Bottled City of Kandor with Jimmy Olsen, and they patrolled as a super-science version of Batman & Robin, named Nightwing & Flamebird, respectively. So with one name, he honored Superman as the Batman-like Nightwing, and Batman by showing that while he was creating his own identity, he hadn't forgotten his roots.

Post-COIE, that history didn't exist for him to draw on, so a retroactive explanation was made that Superman had told Dick about a Kryptonian vigilante named Nightwing (who reminded me more of Hawkman or Northwind, than Batman) and this was how Dick came up with the name. A Kryptonian Nightwing & Flamebird were put back in place briefly, somewhere between Infinite & Final Crisis, but now that Flashpoint has created the New 52, who knows how he got the name? I'd like for something like the original reason to be reinstated, but that's probably not going to happen.

It would be cool if instead of Jimmy Olsen, Dick had accompanied Superman to Kandor, and been Flamebird to Supes' Nightwing. Then it would make even more sense for him to take the name that way.

#23 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

@MUTANT413:

That's the bare bones of the original reason.

I don't remember the specifics of the disagreement, but basically, Dick & Bruce disagreed over Batman's methods, and Dick had his own life with Kory and the Titans. He walked away in #39 (so did Wally) and a couple issues later, the Judas Contract hit, where Deathstroke finally fulfilled his contract to the HIVE, to deliver the Titans. Dick had been attacked by Slade, but had escaped, so even though he wasn't Robin, he was still involved. Things got desperate, Slade's ex-wife brought their son, Jericho, to help, and Dick put the Nightwing costume on for the first time.

His initial thought was that his new identity honored both of his mentors. I don't remember if he said it outright, but he was referring to Batman & Superman. The reason that the Nightwing identity did that so beautifully was this: pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths (COIE), Superman sometimes went into the Bottled City of Kandor with Jimmy Olsen, and they patrolled as a super-science version of Batman & Robin, named Nightwing & Flamebird, respectively. So with one name, he honored Superman as the Batman-like Nightwing, and Batman by showing that while he was creating his own identity, he hadn't forgotten his roots.

Post-COIE, that history didn't exist for him to draw on, so a retroactive explanation was made that Superman had told Dick about a Kryptonian vigilante named Nightwing (who reminded me more of Hawkman or Northwind, than Batman) and this was how Dick came up with the name. A Kryptonian Nightwing & Flamebird were put back in place briefly, somewhere between Infinite & Final Crisis, but now that Flashpoint has created the New 52, who knows how he got the name? I'd like for something like the original reason to be reinstated, but that's probably not going to happen.

It would be cool if instead of Jimmy Olsen, Dick had accompanied Superman to Kandor, and been Flamebird to Supes' Nightwing. Then it would make even more sense for him to take the name that way.

I also drew upon the same idea while reading the Nightwing and Flamebird tpb. Jimmy Olsen is uber lame what's the logic behind even taking him along when Batman's junior sidekick is perfectly suitable?

#24 Posted by cbishop (8352 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

I also drew upon the same idea while reading the Nightwing and Flamebird tpb. Jimmy Olsen is uber lame what's the logic behind even taking him along when Batman's junior sidekick is perfectly suitable?

(ooo, I still want that TPB!) Nah, Jimmy makes sense, because he was "Superman's Pal" - basically, he was always Superman's sidekick - Kandor was just the place he got to put on the spandex to prove it. Plus, he had some experience heroing as Elastic Lad, and as a double handful of weird transformations over the years (love Superman: The Amazing Transformations of Jimmy Olsen TPB). It would make sense that Superman's Pal is the guy that gets to see the secret Fortress of Solitude, and experience a day trip to Kandor.

What I'm saying is: if it means Dick retrieving his original reason for choosing the name Nightwing, I'd be willing to retroactively replace Jimmy Olsen with Dick Grayson, to facilitate that. And really, you don't have to completely replace Olsen - you only have to replace him for one story. "Say, Robin, Jimmy Olsen's away on assignment, and I need some help in Kandor. Since Batman went to Africa, chasing Ra's Al Ghul, while you were away with the Teen Titans, would you like to stand in for him?" And away we go.

#25 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio
@KainScion: hope you mean : WAS
#26 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Nightwing Year One, maybe Batman Year Three.

Really, that's the best choice.

#27 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@clemj: thats what i said. WAS

#28 Posted by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp I agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.