Who do you consider Nightwings nemisis?

#1 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre and post new 52. Who would you consider Nightwings main villain?

#2 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Post-Crisis - Deathstroke the Terminator

Post-"Batman Reborn"-"Batman and Robin" #1-16 - James Gordon, Jr.

#3 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

And New 52 - No one.

#4 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

#5 Posted by Vitacura (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Lobdell

#6 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@VampireSelektor said:

And New 52 - No one.

Hopefully James Jr. ends up in Nightwing. What's frustrating is that Snyder set up Jr. to be Grayson's nemesis for naught.

#7 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

@John Valentine said:

@VampireSelektor said:

And New 52 - No one.

Hopefully James Jr. ends up in Nightwing. What's frustrating is that Snyder set up Jr. to be Grayson's nemesis for naught.

Exactly. Snyder seemed to really be setting up James Jr. as the perfect nemesis for Nightwing, quite literally a "black mirror" reflection of him... but now Jr. is being shoehorned into Batgirl instead because of their familial ties, even though the character works much better against Grayson than Barbara IMO

#8 Posted by Oblivious (57 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52- William Cobb-an assassin for the Court of Owls.

#9 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone think Saiko would be a good arch nemesis. I think he has the right tools for the job.

#10 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

James Gordon Jr could easily be Nightwing's Joker, and I strongly suspect that we will see him in the near future when space opens up for a grander arc for Nightwing. He's been kind of sucked into Court of the Owls and the Death of the Family, and with the next Batman arc supposedly solely for Batman, I'm hoping we'll see James Gordon Jr reappear.

#11 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

Post New 52, Lady Shiva. Maybe even Penguin.

#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12495 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by darkwingdan (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Exactly my thoughts. Blockbuster was Nightwing's main villain until his death - after 90+ issues! That's a long time and should definitely warrant consideration.

As for New 52, there are potential characters that currently that could fill that role. People point to Lady Shiva, Saiko (hey, we didn't see a body), William Cobb, etc. However, I think Nightwing's New 52 nemesis will be established during the run that's supposed to begin with issue #19. Kyle Higgins has said that, starting with #19, the stories he's planning will be his "opus" of sorts, the Nightwing stories he wanted to tell since he was first given the metaphorical keys to the car.

#14 Posted by Nightwing4 (360 posts) - - Show Bio

It SHOULD be Deathstroke. But no. I thought it might be Saiko. But no. Shiva? 2 issues then gone. Right now (as much as I love and respect Snyder and his run on Batman) it seems to be these continuous Bat-crossovers that constantly halt Dick's storyline are his arch nemesis.

#15 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor: This.

#16 Posted by SuperJedi17 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkwingdan said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Exactly my thoughts. Blockbuster was Nightwing's main villain until his death - after 90+ issues! That's a long time and should definitely warrant consideration.

As for New 52, there are potential characters that currently that could fill that role. People point to Lady Shiva, Saiko (hey, we didn't see a body), William Cobb, etc. However, I think Nightwing's New 52 nemesis will be established during the run that's supposed to begin with issue #19. Kyle Higgins has said that, starting with #19, the stories he's planning will be his "opus" of sorts, the Nightwing stories he wanted to tell since he was first given the metaphorical keys to the car.

Cool.Can't wait till #19 releases.

#17 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke pre52. He was the endboss who had Nightwing's number every time. Always one step ahead.

Blockbuster was more of an archenemy..

I like James Jr but he's no longer a Dick Grayson property, Babs stole him away from us :(

My vote remains Professor Pyg and the Circus of Strange. If Dick is destined to square off against Slade one day, I fancy it happening over in JLI if or when the title gets relaunched.

#18 Posted by darkwingdan (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: Yeah, you're right about Deathstroke. I stand corrected. I definitely enjoyed his appearances in Nightwing's 96-09 solo book. I gotta admit, as... disappointing as I found Devin Grayson's run, it did come to an end in a strong manner by having a Deathstroke arc.

#19 Posted by Nightwingdg (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke/Blockbuster Pre 52

Currently Saiko/William Cobb.

#20 Posted by wessaari (621 posts) - - Show Bio

Saiko had great potential to be Dick's new greatest nemesis. Cobb served as a great contrast, and though I loved the stories he was in, I doubt he will be available to serve as an arch nemesis. RIght now, Saiko is dead but the Court could revive him and he go on his own way, which would be my best guess. Thats for Post

Pre would obviously be Deathstroke and Blockbuster

#21 Posted by Z3RO180 (6294 posts) - - Show Bio

Death stroke or saiko

#22 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1555 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-Flashpoint it was definitely Deathstroke, with them tangling on and off since Dick's days with the New Teen Titans. Then Blockbuster was a close second. Now, IDK, Saiko had the potential for it, or to at least be Dick's version of Hush, but he was killed off (As far as we know anyways). Wasted potential there. Shiva and Dick have a past, and could have a pretty cool future. Honestly, Deathstroke's the only one I really want to see, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon I guess.

#23 Posted by Lapsus (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Never feel that he really has a true arch-nemesis aside from Deathstroke.

I always see Blockbuster like a Kingpin of Bludhaven, but never like "the Norman Osborn" of Dick Grayson.

Saiko is too simple to make him the main antagonist, of course we need more information about him but i don´t think that he has more than "mistery assasin with claws"

The owls are badass but with little personality.

Gordon Jr. has the potential but now is more or less an enemy of Babs.

#24 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-DCnU: Deathstroke the Terminator

DCnU: Lady Shiva

#25 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwingdg said:

Deathstroke/Blockbuster Pre 52

Currently Saiko/William Cobb.

This

#26 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing4 said:

It SHOULD be Deathstroke. But no. I thought it might be Saiko. But no. Shiva? 2 issues then gone. Right now (as much as I love and respect Snyder and his run on Batman) it seems to be these continuous Bat-crossovers that constantly halt Dick's storyline are his arch nemesis.

This is filled with win.

#27 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke

#28 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats the irony of pre-N52 Nightwing, his up-and-coming rogues gallery was either killed, defeated, or irrelevant by the time he became Batman. Shrike, Blockbuster, Tarantula, Tad Ryerstad, Lady Vic; I say bring them and Bludhaven back.

#29 Posted by marvellover1 (373 posts) - - Show Bio

Slade ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.