Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9486 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Who could replace Dick Grayson?

• 55 results
    Nightflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Nightflame

Once again, i am back to the ARE YOU INSANE moment. Damian could definitely pull off NIGHTWING, but as you said, DICK is the heart of the Bat Family, not NIGHTWING. Just cause they were close doesn't mean he is fit to replace Dick at all. Plus, if the entire family left Bruce and things got all angsty and weepy, sales would go down.  
    P.S, 
    Just try to kill off Dick or Alfred. BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN. 
    You have been warned.
    LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By LuigiBat

The very idea of Tim replacing Dick as Nightwing makes me want to vomit. Pre-flashpoint I always thought Tim was written as being too 'perfect' and was a bit of a 'Mary Sue' (Wikipedia the term if you want a detailed explanation) but ultimately came across as fairly likeable. In the New 52 he's still being written as a 'Mary Sue' (note this is from all I've glimpsed of him having not read much of Teen Titans) whilst also appearing to be a stuck-up little brat. I'd actually say Damian is more likeable than Tim in the New 52. If Tim were to become Nightwing I'd stop reading comics altogether.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SmoothJammin

@LuigiBat: What's worse, he's actually an olympic level gymnast now so he legitimately has a case for replacing NW should Dick die. Mary Sue'in to the fullest in Teen Titans 0 bro.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By LuigiBat

@SmoothJammin said:

@LuigiBat: What's worse, he's actually an olympic level gymnast now so he legitimately has a case for replacing NW should Dick die. Mary Sue'in to the fullest in Teen Titans 0 bro.

Yeah I heard about what Lobdell was planning but given his propensity for saying one thing and then backtracking and doing something else I was holding out some hope that he wouldn't further the whole Mary Sue thing. Pre-Flashpoint Tim was definitely a Mary Sue but he was sorta likeable, now he's an even bigger Mary Sue than before and an utter assh*le to boot.

Being an olympic level gymnast doesn't really give a great reason to make him NW though, pre-Flashpoint Tim was a great gymnast and likely olympic level too but that didn't make him any better or even on par with Dick when it came to gymnastics and the like. If you were to put both Dick and Tim in an Olympic competition I'd feel confident in saying that Dick would get gold by a considerable margin whilst Tim would get a silver at best. Reason being is that Dick has natural talent and a lifetime of practise, the guy was probably born doing a backflip, whereas Tim probably doesn't have quite as much natural talent and certainly not as much practise given how he's supposedly at olympic level in a variety of sports (what are the chances of him being best in the world at all of them?) and would have to practise a wider variety of disciplines whilst also receiving an education. Gymnastics/acrobatics was Dick's life up until he was 16 and from then on he began to mix his natural skill and years of practise with training from Bruce.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The New 52 hasn't done anything to improve Tim Drake's character. In fact, I now find him to be worse and am not reading the Teen Titans anymore. (Something i'm truly sad at, as i've been a fan of the Teen Titans for a long time, but with the retconning of the greatest era of Titan's history I just don't have it in me anymore)

Realistically, if time ever really moved on or there was an Elseworlds, i'd see Damian becoming Nightwing at some point and Dick becoming Batman again. In general I think Damian's going to leave the Robin role at some point.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.