Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

where to start reading Nightwing?

Danial123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Danial123

i want to start reading nightwing comics where should i start besides new 52 the only thing ive read with Dick is dark victory any other stuff i should read to start liking dick ?

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By graysonofgotham

Some one is gonna have a blast with your "any other stuff i should read to start liking dick ?" line lol. I would read

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract

Nightwing: Year One

Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying

Nightwing: The Lost Year

Anything by Chuck Dixon is fantastic.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By r3d_rob1n

If your looking for a story taking place in his Robin days, then Robin: Year One is really good. I believe it is by Dixon, and he writes a good Dick

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna second Nightwing Year One, as that's pretty much the most recent take on how he went from Robin to Nightwing (The New 52 hasn't clarified whether or not it was retconned yet) Teen Titans the Judas Contract is another must, as it shows Dick in his first real adventure as Nightwing. If you can get your hands on it pick up Batman: Prodigal, that one shows Dick during his first brief stint as Batman when Bruce was healing up from the whole Bane situation.

So thats:

Nightwing Year One

Teen Titans Judas Contract

Batman: Prodigal

Also pick up:

Robin: Year One

Nightwing: A Knight in Bludhaven

Batman: Battle for the Cowl

Batman and Robin Vol 1: Batman Reborn

And I think that will all be enough to get you started. Each shows Dick in different settings at key points of his career, ranging from his time as Robin to his 2nd time as Batman.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vernierhawk001

No " Black Mirror"?

Danial123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Danial123

thanks for the sugestions the dc digital comics store is having a sale on nightwing comics theres about 100 of them for only for 99 cents which ones are the best that they have there ?

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vernierhawk001 said:

No " Black Mirror"?

Well the point was only to give him an introduction to the key points in Dick's life. If he wanted to know about a specific era, say the 2nd Batman era, then I absolutely would've put Black Mirror, along with a few other stories. As it is I gave him Batman Reborn, which begins right as Dick's starting his 2nd stint as Batman. If he likes that era and decides to continue he should eventually stumble upon Black Mirror.

Danial123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Danial123

heres the link to the dccomics sale http://www.readdcentertainment.com/Nightwing-101-Sale/comics-collection/572?block_id=1727

Danial123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Danial123

what else after i read robin year one, nightwing year one , judas contract lost year and lonely place for dying ?

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By graysonofgotham

@Danial123 said:

what else after i read robin year one, nightwing year one , judas contract lost year and lonely place for dying ?

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

I'm gonna second Nightwing Year One, as that's pretty much the most recent take on how he went from Robin to Nightwing (The New 52 hasn't clarified whether or not it was retconned yet) Teen Titans the Judas Contract is another must, as it shows Dick in his first real adventure as Nightwing. If you can get your hands on it pick up Batman: Prodigal, that one shows Dick during his first brief stint as Batman when Bruce was healing up from the whole Bane situation.

So thats:

Nightwing Year One

Teen Titans Judas Contract

Batman: Prodigal

Also pick up:

Robin: Year One

Nightwing: A Knight in Bludhaven

Batman: Battle for the Cowl

Batman and Robin Vol 1: Batman Reborn

And I think that will all be enough to get you started. Each shows Dick in different settings at key points of his career, ranging from his time as Robin to his 2nd time as Batman.

At first I thought you were talking about just Nightwing but if we are talking Grayson in general go with what NC said above and peep

Batman: Year 3

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BatWatch

Yeah, Batman Year 3. The first Nightwing series was originally written by Dixon, and I really like his writing, so I would grab all of his run. In general, all of Nightwing's comics are good except for the run right after One Year Later.

Danial123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Danial123

oh whats wrong with the run after year one

Danial123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Danial123

and which of the nightwing(1996-2009) comics should i stay away from thanks alot

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By buttersdaman000

I just started with the Nightwing ongoing by Dixon.  

@Danial123 said:

and which of the nightwing(1996-2009) comics should i stay away from thanks alot

Ehh...none of it's actually bad enough to make me say 'stay away' but if anything the ongoing did start to slip during Devin Graysons run.  
    (Although there were still some pretty good issues in that run) 
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial123 said:

Yeah I wouldn't stay away from any of them personally, as different people have different tastes. And if you really want to know the characters its best to read everything concerning him

Definitely get a Knight in Bludhaven though.

Nightwing Post-One Year Later isn't bad, but there was a common problem that some heroes are often associated with. It seemed like they didn't know what to do with the character.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmoothJammin

@vernierhawk001 said:

No " Black Mirror"?

It's crucial you pick this up, and well Gates if you can afford it too, as a little sweetener deal. It's a great jump-off point into the new 52.

You have to be careful when treading through old Nightwing's ongoing, some of the stories read like bad fan fiction. Can't go wrong with Dixon, Tomasi. If you want some advice I'd steer clear of Devin Grayson.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vernierhawk001

@SmoothJammin said:

@vernierhawk001 said:

No " Black Mirror"?

It's crucial you pick this up, and well Gates if you can afford it too, as a little sweetener deal. It's a great jump-off point into the new 52.

You have to be careful when treading through old Nightwing's ongoing, some of the stories read like bad fan fiction. Can't go wrong with Dixon, Tomasi. If you want some advice I'd steer clear of Devin Grayson.

Sweet! These two are actually next on my list. Hoping to pick up Gates and Nightwing 12 this week

Danial123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Danial123

nevermind about the dc sale they were only 1 dollar cheaper

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.