Where is Dick Grayson (Nightwing) in Batman Beyond?

#1 Posted by MyonKuro (83 posts) - - Show Bio
When I saw Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, the information didn't all conclude up into one Theory of Dick's whereabouts, so now I have come to ask you guys XD:
Where is Dick Grayson (NightWing) in The "Batman Beyond Generation"? If he's dead please explain so. If he's still alive, please explain your theories and reasoning.
Answer to your capacity XD Thanks!
~Myon :3
#2 Posted by JediXMan (28063 posts) - - Show Bio

He popped up in some BS story about a clone Dick Grayson or whatever in the comics. It was stupid.

#3 Edited by The_Tree (6435 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I remember, he got shot up by Joker, causing him to hang up his tights. He's alive, but he now wears an eye patch, and has limited movement due to the wounds he suffered. This is from the Hush Beyond story.

#4 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

He had a clone that was Hush.

#5 Posted by KnightRise (4757 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

From what I remember, he got shot up by Joker, causing him to hang up his tights. He's alive, but he now wears an eye patch, and has limited movement due to the wounds he suffered. This is from the Hush Beyond story.

@MyonKuro: Yep. Barbara also in the show mentions to Terry that if he wanted some real history he should look up Dick Grayson

#6 Posted by SmoothJammin (2331 posts) - - Show Bio

If you really want to examine it, I mean thoroughly, check out the Hush Beyond tbp. In short, a futuristic incarnation of hush pops up in Neo Gotham threatening/killing off Batman's old foes. Dick enters the fold after Terry comes to him with questions regarding the murders. In BB continuity he's somewhere in his early 60's it looks like but in otherwise great shape. He lost his eye in a confrontation against Joker alongside Bats -Bruce made a tactical error and left him exposed to gunfire. So in theory it was Bruce's fault he's one-eyed. Bruce never apologized or even went to visit him in the hospital, instead he sent Alfred who basically dropped off a fresh new costume for Nightwing to return after rehabilitating. Dick was so disgusted with Bruce he cut off ties with him entirely and retired. He comes back years later to aid Terry on his case and proves he's still a BAMF.

#7 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

That issue made absolutely no sense at all! Firstly how would he be shot up by the joker if in the movie return of the joker he already established himself in a new city? Wasn't he already dead? How did no one know that he was nightwing after he was delivered to the hospital? And there are mentions of silver st cloud and a major earthquake that hit Gotham. And the bit that irritated me the most was when hush killed armory and his family. Did hush just kill one of Terry's and act like its another day at the office? That story was just dissapointing.

#8 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer said:

That issue made absolutely no sense at all! Firstly how would he be shot up by the joker if in the movie return of the joker he already established himself in a new city? Wasn't he already dead? How did no one know that he was nightwing after he was delivered to the hospital? And there are mentions of silver st cloud and a major earthquake that hit Gotham. And the bit that irritated me the most was when hush killed armory and his family. Did hush just kill one of Terry's and act like its another day at the office? That story was just dissapointing.

I believe that him being shot by Joker occurred after the flashback events of the movie. No one knew he was Nightwing when he was delivered to hospital as Batman removed his costume and called an ambulance before proceeding to chase down the Joker.

In any case, what has bugged me the most about the lack of Dick Grayson in Batman Beyond is the fact that the series is meant to be a continuation of BTAS and TNBA. In TNBA Bruce and Dick weren't on amazing terms but I'd argue that was only because Dick had only recently chosen to leave Bruce's side, and even then they weren't on such bad terms that they wouldn't operate in the same city or speak to each other. I remember in one episode of Batman Beyond Bruce gives Terry a leather jacket, Terry spots the initials 'D.G' in the collar and asks who this person is/was but Bruce refuses to talk about it. What I'm also curious about is the state of the relationship between the two of them prior to Dick getting shot by the Joker, from Dick's dialogue in Hush Beyond I get the feeling that other things had occurred well before then which lead to them not getting on well. I really wish they'd explored Dick's relationship with Bruce in Batman Beyond, it was barely touched on and considering how the series was basically a follow on from BTAS/TNBA its quite frustrating that very little was properly explained. I mean they found a way to work Barbara Gordon into things and explained everything about her, so why couldn't they do the same for Dick Grayson?

#9 Posted by JonSmith (3860 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically: Nightwing got shot by Joker, Bats stripped him and left him there for medical attention rather than get him to the hospital himself, choosing instead to pursue the Joker over him. Thus leading to a falling out that by the time Terry has taken over, has still not been resolved. As has been said, for the full story, check out Hush Beyond. I wasn't a big fan of it, but it explains what happened to Grayson in detail.

#10 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

Basically: Nightwing got shot by Joker, Bats stripped him and left him there for medical attention rather than get him to the hospital himself, choosing instead to pursue the Joker over him. Thus leading to a falling out that by the time Terry has taken over, has still not been resolved. As has been said, for the full story, check out Hush Beyond. I wasn't a big fan of it, but it explains what happened to Grayson in detail.

I've read through Hush Beyond a couple of times, in my opinion it doesn't really explain anything about their relationship prior to Nightwing being shot. There's a big gap between the end of the TNBA and Dick being shot by Joker in Hush Beyond. I got the impression that the only reason Dick decided to help Bruce against Joker was because Alfred was being held captive, it seemed like if it weren't for Alfred being kidnapped by Joker Nightwing wouldn't have bothered to help Bruce.

#11 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of what happened in between was covered by the comic series batman Gotham adventures and batman adventures vol.2 , it would probably have been handled better if they had not cancelled that series in favor of the batman strikes. And to me it would have made more sense if it was thomas Eliott AKA hush who shot nightwing instead. That comic had a lot of potential that was wasted.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.