When did Grayson take up the Nightwing Mantle?

#1 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

In what issue did Dick Grayson first become Nightwing?

#2 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its in the teen titans or titans. Although im not really sure if its when terra becomes a traitor story.

#3 Posted by havoc1201 (514 posts) - - Show Bio

tales of teen titans #44 in 1984.

#4 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@havoc1201 said:

tales of teen titans #44 in 1984.

Cheers! Will give it a read.

#5 Posted by Tohoma (1431 posts) - - Show Bio

A little bit off-topic but how many years has Dick served as robin?

#6 Posted by Onemoreposter (4047 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tohoma said:

A little bit off-topic but how many years has Dick served as robin?

Actual years? 44. In DC time? About 14. Dick started out as Robin when he was 8 years old and was still Robin when he went off to college. By the time he started the New Teen Titans as Nightwing he had finished school (i think). So, that places Dick's stint as Robin roughly between 12 and 14 years.

Unless you're talking about new 52. In which case he was only Robin for a year or two. Something lame like that......

#7 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@havoc1201 said:

tales of teen titans #44 in 1984.

Cheers! Will give it a read.

If you're looking for the trade the issue's in it's Teen Titans Judas Contract. Not all that expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Teen-Titans-Contract/dp/093028934X

#8 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

How are you a NW fan and not know his backstory!?

Judas Contract. Don't be fooled by the age of the comic, it holds up well. It should be a prerequisite for any Wing Nut!

#9 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@havoc1201 said:

tales of teen titans #44 in 1984.

nice!

#10 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

How are you a NW fan and not know his backstory!?

Judas Contract. Don't be fooled by the age of the comic, it holds up well. It should be a prerequisite for any Wing Nut!

Never read New Teen Titans! It's my must-read series now. Thinking of getting the omnibuses!

#11 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: The omnibuses can get pricey. Tried looking up a site I knew that sold them for 50% off, but I checked just now and it looks like they sold out of the product.

http://www.dcbservice.com/category.aspx?id=1&pid=346404

Luckily I have a ton of TT back issues. Good luck in your search~

#12 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

How about in the new 52? When did he become Nightwing in the current U? The Nightwing #0 issue,they should have showcased his change into Nightwing,instead of Robin.But that's just me.

#13 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta love Discowing.

#14 Posted by darkwingdan (188 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperJedi17: We don't know specifically when or how in the New 52. I tweeted Kyle Higgins a while ago and he said that he'd eventually like to revisit the early days of Dick Grayson's vigilante career, so we may get to see that at some point.

Online
#15 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkwingdan said:

@SuperJedi17: We don't know specifically when or how in the New 52. I tweeted Kyle Higgins a while ago and he said that he'd eventually like to revisit the early days of Dick Grayson's vigilante career, so we may get to see that at some point.

cool.sounds like he plans to be on the book for awhile,which makes me glad since he's such a big fan of Dick Grayson.

#16 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

We're supposed to find out in this upcoming arc I believe

#17 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

We're supposed to find out in this upcoming arc I believe

Are you entirely sure? How would that work?If he has to deal with the events of DOTF? I guess it could start with him wondering how things went so wrong all of a sudden,than thinking about how things were never exactly "normal" in the first place,leading to a flashback.I can dig that.

#18 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperJedi17:

I'll rephrase that--we're supposed to find out in the upcoming arcs.

Atleast I'm positive I heard Kyle Higgins mention it on an interview somewhere. .... It was on Kevin Smith's smodcast now that I remember. Epiphany! Towards the end of it, he tells Kevin he wants to use the Discowing suit for his origin but he needs permission from DC. It's definitely in the works though.

I want to know more about the Crowne's and if Grayson is going to choose to align himself with them after falling out with Bruce(It's bound to happen). Maybe he loses the batfamily during DOTF but makes up for lost ground by getting in touch with his rich, long lost relatives.

#19 Edited by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperJedi17 said:

@darkwingdan said:

@SuperJedi17: We don't know specifically when or how in the New 52. I tweeted Kyle Higgins a while ago and he said that he'd eventually like to revisit the early days of Dick Grayson's vigilante career, so we may get to see that at some point.

cool.sounds like he plans to be on the book for awhile,which makes me glad since he's such a big fan of Dick Grayson.

That's the best part. Some writers come on books and don't really give two craps for the character they're assigned and mistreat the privilege. You don't get that with the Batbooks. Especially on Nightwing.

#20 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@SuperJedi17 said:

@darkwingdan said:

@SuperJedi17: We don't know specifically when or how in the New 52. I tweeted Kyle Higgins a while ago and he said that he'd eventually like to revisit the early days of Dick Grayson's vigilante career, so we may get to see that at some point.

cool.sounds like he plans to be on the book for awhile,which makes me glad since he's such a big fan of Dick Grayson.

That's the best part. Some writers come on books and don't really give two craps for the character they're assigned and mistreat the privilege. You don't get that with the Batbooks. Especially on Nightwing.

Yeah it's great that they have writers that love the characters.I wonder how Higgins feel about the decision to make dick older when he becomes robin.I doubt it was his idea.Also.....Disco Suit? Disco Suit is dead "No disco suit is not dead,Disco suit is alive!" (Kinda Movie Reference).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.