When did Dick Grayson start using his Escrima Sticks?

#1 Posted by Regas13 (181 posts) - - Show Bio

When in his career did he start he start using them and why did he pick them as his weapon?

#2 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

no clue but that is a good question, Like I know that Shiva told Tim that she would train him in 1 weapon and he picked the bo staff which is primarily not a lethal weapon. But I don't know why Nightwing uses his escrima sticks.

It could be related to him working in Bludhaven as a policemen with it's similarity to police batons

#3 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been wondering this as well. They just started showing up everywhere. However, I believe they're left over from his time in the circus. IDK, think I read that somewhere.

#4 Posted by Squalleon (4710 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he started using them in NIGHTWING YEAR ONE

#5 Edited by richardjohngrayson (444 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squalleon said:

I don't know if that was when they first appeared. I do however feel like it was Chuck Dixon who introduced them to the Grayson mythos.
#6 Edited by Squalleon (4710 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson said:

@Squalleon said:

I don't know if t hat was w hen t hey first appeared. I do however feel like it was Chuck Dixon who introduced them to the Grayson mythos.

Searched and i think that they first appeared in issue 1 of Nightwing in the COVER lol

#7 Posted by Jean199999 (548 posts) - - Show Bio

I rea@richardjohngrayson said:

@Squalleon said:

I don't know if that was when they first appeared. I do however feel like it was Chuck Dixon who introduced them to the Grayson mythos.

I read those not long ago I think, I'm gonna look for the exact scans....

#8 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@Squalleon said:

I don't know if t hat was w hen t hey first appeared. I do however feel like it was Chuck Dixon who introduced them to the Grayson mythos.

Searched and i think that they first appeared in issue 1 of Nightwing in the COVER lol

The 1996-2009, right? Or the 1995 one? IIRC it was the first issue of the 96 ongoing

#9 Posted by Squalleon (4710 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@Squalleon said:

@Squalleon said:

The 1996-2009, right? Or the 1995 one? IIRC it was the first issue of the 96 ongoing

The 1996-2009!

#10 Posted by Jean199999 (548 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

He actually used the during his time as Robin, specifically being first seen using them during Robin:Year One. He briefly split from Batman and joined the Vengeance Academy under Shrike(The first Shrike, not Boone) during which he was shown using an Escrima in a break in of Two-Face's hideout(which marked his first time using the weapons)

So we are led to believe he learned the basics from Shrike, and as the above scan says mastered it under Bruce.

#12 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

thank god someone asked this question, as a Nightwing fan I was afraid I would get laughed off the planet for not knowing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.