What role will Nightwing have in the Trinity War

#1 Edited by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

so in another topic we were talking about JLI and this is occurred to me and was wondering what you guys think about it

@squalleon posted this about 2 months ago http://instagram.com/p/U4P2QCNm_l/

it seems to be some art work for the JLI series

an interesting thing is that in the months to come the New 52 will only have 50 comics in June and 49 in July unless others are announced so perhaps the JLI forms as a result of the Trinity War. maybe formed by the international community to help the world in an effort to keep the world stable or deal with the unrest of 3 justice leagues fighting each other. or perhaps since Booster Gold has recently appeared in All Star Western, Booster reforms JLI in order to accomplish what future Booster told him needs to be done.

what do you guys think how will Nightwing play in the Trinity Wars?

JLI or no JLI? Will he simply side with Batman? Will he side against Batman? Will he even be involved since he is not a member of any of the Justice Leagues?

#2 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1405 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk if they'll use him much hopefully they will...

#3 Posted by Alak (928 posts) - - Show Bio

If the JLI becomes realized, then I would like to see them as an intervention team that works to defuse conflicts between JL, JLA, and JLD members. It'd be similar to Batman's team in the Kingdom Come story. Now if there's no JLI, and Dick does decide to participate (seems hard not to get dragged into this huge conflict), then I definitely see him siding with Batman.

#4 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

He better not die/be meant to die, or get gravely injured in an attempt to save Batman. *Cough Infinite Crisis* Got my eyes on you, Geoff Johns.

#5 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

He better not die/be meant to die, or get gravely injured in an attempt to save Batman. *Cough Infinite Crisis* Got my eyes on you, Geoff Johns.

I just wish he doesn't trip and land on a rock.... *Cough Injustice*... Nyehehehehehehe!

#6 Edited by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise:

sadly the teasers do say that a hero dies in the first issue of Trinity Wars and this sparks the all out war. however while pre-52 dick grayson's death would have certainly had impact on multiple teams, JL, TT, Outisiders, the Bat Family, etc and multiple heroes Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, just to mention a few i dont think that New 52 Grayson has that kind of clout anymore. not to mention I do not see DC killing two members of the Bat-Family so closely together.

if I had to guess it would either be Billy/ Shazam because he is been seen in the back pages of JL and has been conflicting a little bit with Constantine or Green Lantern since Geoff is leaving to do the Trinity Wars and he is the only Justice League member that is not seen in any of the artwork and he left the team so maybe it was a way of slowly phasing him out

a third theory that I just thought of is Red Tornado escapes from who ever is building those advanced androids of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to alert the world about this secret society is "killed" before he can tell the whole story but says enough to launch an all out conflict. Booster Gold travels back to the current time and rebuilds Red Tornado and re-forms the JLI to do what has to be done according to Future Booster ( revealing who this secret society is and that they have manipulated the 3 JL into fighting each other so they can reign unopposed and gather whatever lies in Pandora's Box). Booster and Red Tornado form the JLI to combat the real enemy of the world (the secret society) and recruit members to do so thus the JLI team includes: Booster Gold, Nightwing, Red Tornado, Jonah Hex, and maybe a few others become the new JLI.

another interesting thing is that the Jonah Hex's preview mentions Stormwatch and it is no secret the after a strong start Stormwatch is sinking having only about 14k sales. perhaps DC is attempting to save some of the Stormwatch characters by combining the most popular characters of JLI and SW. Stormwatch and JLI both have connections to the United Nations in their New 52 existence so maybe the UN decides to combine the two teams to stop this secret society ( and DC saves some of the charters from both JLI and Stormwatch). thus the JLI is revamped into a new team that confronts all international terror; foreign and domestic but is more of a shadow ops kind of group like "The Team" was in Young Justice

this may also explain why Martian Manhunter is now in the JLA going on the same theme of DC moving characters in order to save them or perhaps MM is a spy for the UN that has infiltrated the JLA

(DC then has revamped Stormwatch by giving it a new team in #20 and has revamped the JLI by combing some popular characters from the old JLI and the old SW as well as implementing extremely popular characters like Nightwing and Red Tornado to boost sales.... yes Nightwing is an extremely popular character check the sales chart he is in the top ten of DC in april 2013 and 35th overall if you include all comicbook publishers)

#7 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see Dick having that large of a role to be honest, though DC could surprise me and have him step up and lead everyone while the Trinity is busy with the war. It'd be an excellent way to solidify his spot in the new universe.

#8 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

He will die.

#9 Posted by nappystr8 (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

I highly doubt Nightwing or JLI will have anything to do with the Trinity War. Between JL, JLA, JLD, and Trinity of Sin I don't think there will be room for any extra characters. As for those pictures, I assume they were just commissions or personal pieces. Red Tornado has been revealed to be on Earth 2...and a lady.

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

I highly doubt Nightwing or JLI will have anything to do with the Trinity War. Between JL, JLA, JLD, and Trinity of Sin I don't think there will be room for any extra characters. As for those pictures, I assume they were just commissions or personal pieces. Red Tornado has been revealed to be on Earth 2...and a lady.

this,

#11 Posted by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

@nappystr8:

that still doesn't explain the fact that Booster Gold has already been linked to the Trinity Wars, or the fact that DC will only have 49 comics,or that RT has already been heavily hinted to in the comics or the fact that those drawings clearly have #JusticeLeagueInternational on there posting. if they were just a personal pieces why would he have posted them with that specific hash tag? besides like I said they may not even be directly involved in the Trinity Wars just a team developed to handle the fallout that the TW has created.

#12 Posted by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

@savagedragon:

I highly highly doubt he will die. like I said Nightwing is in the top ten of DC's comic sales. Killing off one of your top earners is not a very smart move and I doubt even DC is that stupid. if he were at the bottom or even towards the middle then maybe but since he is at the top DC wont want to loose the sales especially since Marvel is already starting to surpass them

#13 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

- I don't see much roles in the Trinity War for Richard besides dying. Honestly, i feel as though that's the only thing that he could do what would actually matter.

#14 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

- I don't see much roles in the Trinity War for Richard besides dying. Honestly, i feel as though that's the only thing that he could do what would actually matter.

Perhaps, but as it's been pointed out his comic is currently doing amazingly well. Also, in terms of the comic universe, we just had a Bat-Son die. It'd be downright bad writing to kill off another one so soon.

#15 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251 said:

Perhaps, but as it's been pointed out his comic is currently doing amazingly well. Also, in terms of the comic universe, we just had a Bat-Son die. It'd be downright bad writing to kill off another one so soon.

- This is true, and i agree with the second part.

- Additionally, seeing that DC is afraid of changing the ever so precious status quo, if they don't kill Richard off he probably will not be involved at all or only in a miniscule way if he ends up getting involved.

#16 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@thejman251 said:

- Additionally, seeing that DC is afraid of changing the ever so precious status quo, if they don't kill Richard off he probably will not be involved at all or only in a miniscule way if he ends up getting involved.

Get rid of Wally West and have Barry Allen become Flash again.

Have Dick become Nightwing again and have Damian partner with Bruce.

Yeah i'd say they like for things to be a certain way.

#17 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251 said:

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@thejman251 said:

Get rid of Wally West and have Barry Allen become Flash again.

Have Dick become Nightwing again and have Damian partner with Bruce.

Yeah i'd say they like for things to be a certain way.

- Indeed.

#18 Posted by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251:

I wonder if anyone from DC ever comes on here and reads these posts. if I were part of DC i certainly would, its a great way to see how your fans feel without spending tons of money on research

#19 Posted by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher @thejman251 @alak @savage_dragon

Just wanted to add that they announced 4 more books being canceled leaving the total of New 52 books at 45. or 7 chances for Dick to be in another book. also they promised that new books would result from the Trinity Wars. does not mean one will be JLI but it increases the odds just a little bit.

#20 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@ritchieb said:

@thejman251:

I wonder if anyone from DC ever comes on here and reads these posts. if I were part of DC i certainly would, its a great way to see how your fans feel without spending tons of money on research

- I agree, i believe that it would be a good idea.

@ritchieb said:

@nathaniel_christopher @thejman251 @alak @savage_dragon

Just wanted to add that they announced 4 more books being canceled leaving the total of New 52 books at 45. or 7 chances for Dick to be in another book. also they promised that new books would result from the Trinity Wars. does not mean one will be JLI but it increases the odds just a little bit.

- Interesting. Would you happen to know what books are being cancelled, or have a link to the list of books being cancelled? I would appreciate it.

#21 Edited by Alak (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251:

Here's the link to it: http://www.comicvine.com/articles/dc-comics-cancels-four-new-52-titles-in-august/1100-146549/

It looks like Demon Knights, Dial H, Legion of Super-Heroes, and Threshold are getting the boot according to that article. I'm frankly surprised that Threshold is getting the boot so soon, especially since Blue Beetle was canceled and replaced with Threshold. Makes me wonder where Jaime Reyes will go next... but that's a discussion for another forum. In regards to the new books, I don't necessarily want a JLI book. I just want a team book for Nightwing to be a part of (JLI or otherwise).

#22 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak said:

@thejman251:

Here's the link to it: DC Comics Cancels Four 'New 52' Titles

It looks like Demon Knights, Dial H, Legion of Super-Heroes, and Threshold are getting the boot according to that article. I'm frankly surprised that Threshold is getting the boot so soon, especially since Blue Beetle was canceled and replaced with Threshold. Makes me wonder where Jaime Reyes will go next... but that's a discussion for another forum. In regards to the new books, I don't necessarily want a JLI book. I just want a team book for Nightwing to be a part of (JLI or otherwise).

- Uh, the link seems to be broken however, thank you for the information regardless.

- Additionally, i believe that another book for Richard to be in would be interesting and we would also, well most likely, get to see him interacting with some sort of team.

#23 Posted by Alak (928 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoops, sorry about that. I went ahead and edited the link so you'll just have to copy/paste it.

#24 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope the JLI forms with Booster Gold,Blue beetle,nightwing,a GL(any),fire and ice and more fun characters and make that one light hearted and enjoyable

#25 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want Dick to be on a team book again. Whether it's darker stories being told with the Outsiders, or lighter ones with the Titans I won't mind.

#26 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope the JLI forms with Booster Gold,Blue beetle,nightwing,a GL(any),fire and ice and more fun characters and make that one light hearted and enjoyable

This! Although it really doesnt have to be a JLI book, just any team book with Dick on it and playing a major role.

#27 Edited by Nightwing4 (374 posts) - - Show Bio

JLI seems most likely, pleasepleaseplease actually involve Dick in the superhero community! He's been stranded in Gotham and now Chicago, for 20 issues of the N52! I think he got 2 panels in an issue of JL. It's like having an inspiring leader on your football team and benching him.

#28 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

On his appearance in JL, it was at least nice to see that Bruce still believes Dick to be worthy of a spot with the team.

#29 Edited by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing4:

I really think Dick will get on sort of team this round. If you really think about it the Nightwing comic has been and remains extremely popular. I am pretty sure he is about the only person in the top 10 in sales that is not part of a team. so if you really wanted to draw fans to a team using a very popular character is a great way to do it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.