What if the circus was at Metropolis instead of Gotham?

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets say that Clark was in the audience instead of Bruce Wayne when Dick's parents were murdered? Do you think Clark would've adopted him? Would Superman save his parents? What if?

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12762 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Dick would feel inadequate when attempting to be Supermans sidekick

#3 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

superman would have saved his parents the circus moves out of town and are killed in some other city

#4 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmmm he would still be called Nightwing because of what Superman told him about Nightwing and Flamebird.

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think Superman would've saved them. If not, I don't think he'd try to make him a sidekick. In fact, he might even turn him over to Bruce ad explain the dilemma to him, making Bruce wanna take him in. 

#6 Edited by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

If the circus was in Metropolis, I don't think Dick's parents would have died. In Snyder's Detective run, he stated that Gotham was where the circus gave its best performance attempting all the riskiest moves they had. I'm not sure how risky the Flying Graysons performance is compared to the rest of the circus, but their performance would've been a little light and thus a bit safer. There's also that if Clark was in the audience, he can get to the saving much faster than Bruce. So, I don't think Dick would've become Superman's ward.

#7 Posted by TheAvenger802 (272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Comicfan47: uh no. first off no robin sidekick no Nightwing ever. It wouldn't work that way. If Bruce never adopted him then Dick would have no training, and he would be in a orphanage.
#8 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrUnknown:  

it didnt matter what kind of performance the grayson's were going to pull off,that night people plotted their deaths. They would have being saved though in metropolis because of superman but without him regardless of triple jumps with fires etc or a simple dive to another string their demise was set.
#9 Posted by bob agent of agency x (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman would have saved the Grayson's, and they would have lived on unaffected but, ...

... It would have effected Bruce! Without Dick, Batman would have never been opened to the idea of having a sidekick. This means that he would have nothing holding him back, nothing keeping him from turning to acting on his darker impulses.

Bruce needs his partners to keep sane, and Batman never would have trusted another without Grayson by his side to begin with.

#10 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

He would never leave his fathers shadow...oh wait.

#11 Posted by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you joking?

Clark would have left the kid to social services.

That is all.

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

If Superman was around, his parents wouldn't have died.

#13 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

If Superman was around, his parents wouldn't have died.

That's what I was going to say.

#14 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@Telcalipoca said:

superman would have saved his parents the circus moves out of town and are killed in some other city

pretty much this.

#15 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman would have saved the Flying Graysons. And if not, Dick would likely end up in an orphanage briefly, but not for an extended period of time. Who wouldn't want to adopt a world famous circus acrobat?

#16 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

For all we know Bruce could've gone the extra mile to go watch the circus in Metropolis with Clark in attendance lol. That would be an interesting spin on Dick's origin since he wasn't a by-product of Gotham like Bruce or Tim but a blend. Superman still wouldn't have allowed those thugs to have their way so the scenario only works in Gotham, sadly.

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

No, that wouldn't have happened at all. Superman would probably haven't even heard of him and if he did it would have been superficially.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.