Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9469 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Tell me what Nightwing story's are worth my money.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I already have Free-fall , battle for the cowl and the whole batman and robin run where Dick is batman. So what Nightwing are worth my money.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The beginning of Nightwing's standalone series in the mid-late 90s was great.

Unfortunately, they're out of print, but you can buy them cheaply digitally on comixology, or buy used copies through hastings.com

Nightwing: A Knight in BlüdhavenNightwing #1-8978-1563894251
    Nightwing: Rough JusticeNightwing #9-18978-1563895234
    Nightwing: Love and BulletsNightwing #1/2, #19, #21-22, #24-29978-1563896132
    Nightwing: A Darker Shade of JusticeNightwing #30-39; Nightwing: Secret Files and Origins (one-shot)978-1563897030
    KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knight in Bludhaven is a must read. I'd recommend Free Fall and Battle for the Cowl if you didn't already mention them. I enjoyed the Nightwing Annuals, but he has some serious out of character moments.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe no one's mentioned Nightwing: Year One yet.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe no one's mentioned Nightwing: Year One yet.

This. It's a must for any Nightwing fan to buy.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Chuck Dixon's Nightwing run, it's out of print but definitely worth tracking down.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have Dick's run as Batman, and are therefore interested in him and not just him as Nightwing, i'd also have to throw in the New Teen Titans Era.

Nightwingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Nightwingdg

That entire Dixon run needs to be put in an omnibus.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By graysonofgotham

For sure!

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. It's about time Dick's series had one anyways, and that era's become really hard to find on its own.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Did you find what you were looking for? Curious as to what books yanked your attention and which ones were just meh. Like, I agree with what a ton of posts on here but I find it funny how we can all have radically different tastes in a story arc inspite of our mutual adoration of the character.

For instance, I thought the concept behind Battle For The Cowl was brilliant but poorly executed on paper. Didn't stop me from buying the issues mind you. Nightwing YEAR ONE is another fun little book I'm quite fond of for a couple of reasons. One, Superman's presence in the book gives it some definite PUNCH. He drops some wisdom on Grayson and tells him what he needs to hear and they hang out for a bit. Grayson learns why it's important to never forget where you come from which leads into my second reason this book is so badass.

After returning to Haly's the Teen Wonder runs into some trouble when he encounters two armed thieves robbing the concession stands, only without his Robin gear his arsenal is limited...so he borrows a pair of juggling sticks and proceeds to lay the smack on them! This is basically the introduction of the modern day escrima you see popularized in Nightwing lore today. He creates the Discowing costume :3 There are also some disney movie moments with Jason and Babs. My only dispute lies in the the manner in which the dynamic duo split up. Bruce not only fires Dick, but sends him packing all the while Alfred looks on, stunned. I choose not to follow fragments of the story for small reasons like these, and refer to Wolfman/Perez continuity instead when I come to a roadblock but it doesn't take away from the overall charm of Year One.

Dixon's work is commendable but reading it side by side with Higgin's run makes it feel slightly dated. Chuck Dixon's material is still better than alot of the current stuff going on right now. However. It won't be long until the current series surpasses the success of previous eras. As far as I'm concerned, Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin is worth mentioning as the standard in quality for any book involving Dick Grayson. I'll even go as far as to say that was Grant's single crowning achievement when you look back at all the stuff he's done on Batman. Have you read Black Mirror yet?

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By graysonofgotham

@smoothjammin said:

@z3ro180: Did you find what you were looking for? Curious as to what books yanked your attention and which ones were just meh. Like, I agree with what a ton of posts on here but I find it funny how we can all have radically different tastes in a story arc inspite of our mutual adoration of the character.

For instance, I thought the concept behind Battle For The Cowl was brilliant but poorly executed on paper. Didn't stop me from buying the issues mind you. Nightwing YEAR ONE is another fun little book I'm quite fond of for a couple of reasons. One, Superman's presence in the book gives it some definite PUNCH. He drops some wisdom on Grayson and tells him what he needs to hear and they hang out for a bit. Grayson learns why it's important to never forget where you come from which leads into my second reason this book is so badass.

After returning to Haly's the Teen Wonder runs into some trouble when he encounters two armed thieves robbing the concession stands, only without his Robin gear his arsenal is limited...so he borrows a pair of juggling sticks and proceeds to lay the smack on them! This is basically the introduction of the modern day escrima you see popularized in Nightwing lore today. He creates the Discowing costume :3 There are also some disney movie moments with Jason and Babs. My only dispute lies in the the manner in which the dynamic duo split up. Bruce not only fires Dick, but sends him packing all the while Alfred looks on, stunned. I choose not to follow fragments of the story for small reasons like these, and refer to Wolfman/Perez continuity instead when I come to a roadblock but it doesn't take away from the overall charm of Year One.

Dixon's work is commendable but reading it side by side with Higgin's run makes it feel slightly dated. Chuck Dixon's material is still better than alot of the current stuff going on right now. However. It won't be long until the current series surpasses the success of previous eras. As far as I'm concerned, Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin is worth mentioning as the standard in quality for any book involving Dick Grayson. I'll even go as far as to say that was Grant's single crowning achievement when you look back at all the stuff he's done on Batman. Have you read Black Mirror yet?

Jam you are a real ambassador to comic book fans. It is cool that you always take time to pass on your knowledge of Grayson. Sorry to kiss your butt. Just wanted to say that you are a credit to Dick Grayson fans and in an online world with a plethora of jerks it is nice to see someone as nice as you.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Squalleon

@z3ro180: Year One, a Knight in Bludheaven should be the place to start :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.