SPOILERS!!! Dick Graysons role during INJUSTICE

#1 Posted by RitchieB (221 posts) - - Show Bio

so for those of you who beat it how do you feel?

for me it it ruined it, didn't like the twist or the "nightwing" character and i feel Grayson got the shaft

#2 Posted by SmashBrawler (5420 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, it's not like he was actually killed.

#3 Posted by RitchieB (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler:

yea but i dont like him taking a backseat to Damian Wayne. I think that if Grayson would have been in the story more it would have been better. I just dont like the fact that hes only in the story for 30 seconds (and hes getting his ass kicked) plus if you beat the classic battle you get Damian's ending not one for Grayson. thats what is really bothering me that Nightwing is Grayson but Damian got more exposure in the actual game play than Grayson

#4 Posted by SmashBrawler (5420 posts) - - Show Bio

@ritchieb: Wait, Damian is the one who gets an ending? I actually didn't know that. Then yeah, it does suck that Dick gets that kind of crappy treatment. Then again, he wasn't in the Story Mode much so it's not really surprising.

#5 Edited by RitchieB (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler:

yea if you beat in on classic battle mode (where you get character endings) its Damian Wayne in the ending, it makes no mention of Dick Grayson at all. thats honestly what ruined it for me. the only part dick grayson is in so far is being able to pick him in fights. But as far as story mode and Battles it is Damian Wayne which is really annoying. if it were 50/50 split on exposure i would have been mildly annoyed but it wouldn't have ruined it. But the fact that Damian is in Nightwing in the two major aspects of the game erks me. I don't know about STAR LABS because I haven't gotten that far but even if he is in it hes only getting the same amount of Exposure as my Red Son superman which is a crime.

#6 Posted by k4tzm4n (36124 posts) - - Show Bio

He's such a minimal role in the story -- so why does it "ruin" the game for you? IMHO all that should matter is whether or not you like playing as the character and then you know for a fact there's (at least) two skins that are indeed Dick Grayson. I mean, I love Deathstroke, but he gets LOLOWNED by Batman in the first round. Do I care? Nah, not really because I'm very pleased with the character and want to use him in multi -- which in the end is where this game will thrive.

But hey, at least you're not a Shazam fan :P

Staff
#7 Edited by RitchieB (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n:

the main thing that ruins it for me is the minimal role. honestly fighting games are not really my style and I usually never pick up one but in this instance I am a huge Nightwing fan so I payed the money. If it was the exact same game and NW was not in it at all I would have not bought it. Not because I think its a bad game or anything it just that Fighting games arent my thing. But I bought the game for only because Dick Grayson was in it, no other reason. then when I played it and saw that grayson was replaced it ruined it. IMHO they should have marketed it as Damian Wayne sense he has a larger role. it wouldn't have ruined the twist because like you said our NW plays such a minimal role it would have just been robin fighting Bane in the beggining. With DS its different because DS (normal) and DS (alternate) are both in the game and has a pretty large role in the story not to mention they are the same person. but Damian and Dick are two different people, its like if you picked up the game and getting DS and Flashpoint DS but playing as Jericho in the Story and Battle. sure would have been a twist but id leave you feeling DS didnt get his fair shake then imagine if DS was the only character in the entire game "replaced"

not to mention that Grayson is the only hero that doesn't get a fight in the entire game, sure its not our billy but shazam has multiple sceens and fights in the game. Alternate Grayson is not a problem just NO grayson is

#8 Posted by SmoothJammin (2331 posts) - - Show Bio

Aye. Poor boy Shazam.

Dick's role in the storyline was minimal. I played through entire chapters waiting for Nightwing to get his turn. Instead we get two cracks at Batman and Cyborg outshining all of his Titan colleagues by beating Slade and actually contributing to the plot. Does the comic ever explain when Nightwing sides with Superman?

#9 Edited by RitchieB (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@smoothjammin:

my point exactly and idk i didnt read the comic. I just kept waiting and waiting thinking any day know but Grayson got nothing, at least billy was in it and stood up to superman (for a second) but grayson just got his ass beat by Bane then got replace by damian. not cool. Plus Billys death was slightly better because he died standing up for what he believed in, sure he got his ass beat in less then two seconds and I doubt supes could take shazam down that fast but at least we understood why and how he died. Grayson on the other hand got no death scene or anything. it kind of annoyed me that only superman could beat superman because he is so powerful but Damian could just beat Grayson with no explanation.

#10 Posted by SmoothJammin (2331 posts) - - Show Bio

@ritchieb: I followed the comic for Nightwing but felt let down at the lack of presence he holds. I counted 1 cameo scene where he's sparring Robin in the batcave and mentions to Supes how Damian always tries to sucker in a sneak attack whenever he's not looking, which I guess was foreshadowing. Damian thanks Superman for murdering Joker and Dick begrudgingly pulls him away so Bruce and Kal can have their alone time. Makes sense but I feel mislead.

#11 Posted by RitchieB (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@smoothjammin:

me 2. I think both Grayson's got the shaft. I mean if you know anything about Dick and Damian at all, Damian turning on Dick is really shocking because they are so close. I could see Damian turning on Tim or Jason and honestly even Bruce if things got bad enough but Damian turning on Dick is probably the most shocking of it. its not something you can just say happened it needs a detailed explanation and honorable death if you do it. but even if they didn't do it that way they should have atleast had Grayson in the story long enough for (our) grayson to beat the sh!7 out of damian for killing his other self and say that Damian only won with Superman's or someone elses help

#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12402 posts) - - Show Bio

Aye. Poor boy Shazam.

Dick's role in the storyline was minimal. I played through entire chapters waiting for Nightwing to get his turn. Instead we get two cracks at Batman and Cyborg outshining all of his Titan colleagues by beating Slade and actually contributing to the plot. Does the comic ever explain when Nightwing sides with Superman?

yes. he joins as Robin at first

#13 Edited by SUNMAN (7139 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a fighting/tournament style video game. As long as the gameplay is fun an fair I have no problems. nightwing's actually one of the better characters to playas I've got no complaints.

For this type of game I thought the story was fine. Nightwing's role was minimal but so were others. The Damian Wayne thing was a twist I didn't see coming. All in all I don't think its anything to get out of shape about. If you start complaining about every little thing with your favorite character stuff just becomes less enjoyable.

#14 Posted by RitchieB (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman:

yea you got a point but idk. Dick Grayson has just been getting slapped in the face a lot since the new 52. everything he lost in the comics which I wont go into, then having a much smaller role in YJ Invasion then he did in the first season of YJ, now getting sidelined for Damian. overall these little slaps add up and it gets frustrating at times. the thing that bothers me is that DC would never do this to another character I mean could you imagine if they did that to Bruce or Supes. Dick Grayson has been around for a very long time and is only second to Bruce and Supes in comic book appearances yet it is ok to give a lot of others respect that haven't been around as long and Dick keeps getting the short end of the stick over and over. if you read the forums there are pages upon pages of NW fans frustrated at DC for treating Dick this way and it just keeps coming over and over

#15 Posted by SUNMAN (7139 posts) - - Show Bio

@ritchieb:

Oh I get it but it's a tournament style fighting game videogame story. I have issues with how DC is handling Nightwing but I wouldn't put much stock in the story mode of this game. Nightwing is wel designed with this game and is fun to play with. Thats all that matters in this type of game.

Young Justice had a lot of potential but I think my expectations were too high because after episode 2 it never really lived up. Overall it was a solid cartoon, but made the cast too big, Dick wasn't the only character underutilized in season 2.

Nightwing's probably one of my favorite characters easily top 5, but the way DC has handled him post flashpoint has been terrible. I've dropped the Nightwing book I can't take it, and this is a guy who bought every issue of his original ongoing...I even suffered through Devin Grayson's deconstruction of the character! But the run is mediocre at best, I don't really like the direction or some of the artists that have been on the title.

It just seemed like DC was finally giving Dick a lot of loved during the build up to taking up the cowl and ultimately when he became Batman and I was expecting it to continue when he became Nightwing again. But DC's simply regressed Nightwing, he's firmly back in the Bat's shadow. Lost all his Teen Titans history and all his DC connections. I can't deal with it. The Batline as a whole just hasn't been as good post flashpoint.

Hopefully things will turn around, but as of now its just very disappointing.

#16 Edited by BenjaminGehring (1 posts) - - Show Bio

What happened to Nightwing is actually found in the comics that accompany the series.

#14 begins with Batman lamenting the death of his only son, it's not shown only a bloody glove. Shoot back a few hours or whatever, and Superman is making a public announcement how he is not only taking his justice out on criminals, but also on the establishments that can't contain them. Batman, NW, and Robin deduce fairly quickly in the cave that he's heading for Arkham. Robin believes that killing them is the right thing to do, while obviously Batman refuses. Batman and NW jet off for Arkham as the dynamic duo once again, leaving the arguing Robin behind. They show up to meet Superman, WW, and Robin who tipped them off waiting at Arkham. That's the end of the issue, but I believe its easy to assume that the bloody glove from the beginning is Dick Grayson's, and next week Superman or Robin will kill him during some sort of argument/fight.

This also explains during the story of the game, Bruce disowns Damian and claims that Dick was the only son he's ever had.

So yeah I'm disappointed with Dick not being involved, but the twist did catch me as a surprise. The game had me wondering the entire time how Dick would ever betray Batman, and it was good to here that if he's gone, he died for his mentor who admitted to seeing him as his son.

#17 Posted by Lightburst (163 posts) - - Show Bio

Since this is game has two realities the Original Nightwing Dick is still alive (Blue lighter armored) as seen near the start of the game while the heavily armored Nightwing Damien (light red) is the alternate one, meaning the I call real nightwing (Blue) is alive and well.

#18 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10909 posts) - - Show Bio

It made me hate Damian even more than I do, fully knowing this isn't canon. Dick Grayson #1!

#19 Posted by tjs4759 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

My only complaint is that when you find out its Damian in story mode, it is said so non-silently and then its never mentioned again. My jaw was left hanging open for about 10 minutes. I wish they would have revealed more about what happened between Bruce & Dick & Damian, but I guess there is a lot going on.

#20 Edited by Alak (920 posts) - - Show Bio

As a Nightwing mainer, I didn't think his portrayal was all that bad. His only fight in the story mode was with Bane, and given their encounters in the comics, it comes as no surprise that he lost. We know that Damian was the one who killed Dick, but as of right now we have no clue how that happened exactly (probably revealed in this week's comic). The battle ladder is just an alternate, brief form of story mode that's specific to each character. Since Damian was the only Nightwing in the alt. universe during the fight against evil Supes, it makes sense that the ending belongs to him (Dick never left the main universe).

With that being said, we still have the option of using Dick Grayson in multiplayer. If you pick his primary or New 52 costume, he clearly retains Dick's personality during combat. Combine that with the fact that he's easily one of the best rushdown/corner pressure fighters in the game. I'm a huge Dick Grayson fan and I'm more than happy having him as my main, even if he had a minor role in the story mode.

#21 Posted by w0nd (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

Hated it, Damian and Dick were like best buds, Dick was the only one who treated him like an equal. Damian referred to him as his one friend, and when Damian was about to fight him to prove his worth, he said it wasn't necessary he already considered him his equal.

It's an elseworld though so whatever.

#22 Posted by Tohoma (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoiler Alert!:

The only thing worse than the plot twist was how he died.

This honestly just ruined the injustice comic for me and my whole week. Nightwing gets no respect nor love in the game and the comic.

#23 Edited by Alak (920 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone posted this in the review's comments section: http://wendydoodles.tumblr.com/post/49323973663/dicks-reaction-to-his-alternate-selfs

I thought it was hilarious (in an ironic sort of way).

#24 Posted by Mercy_ (92257 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated it, but I mean, it's an Elseworlds story. With the way that DC and Marvel have been treating characters and death/suspension in time, we should feel lucky that we have the luxury of pretending that this never happened and it having absolutely no bearing on any other DC comics.

@alak said:

Someone posted this in the review's comments section: http://wendydoodles.tumblr.com/post/49323973663/dicks-reaction-to-his-alternate-selfs

I thought it was hilarious (in an ironic sort of way).

Saw this on tumblr and thought it was brilliant.

#25 Edited by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1391 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I found it a tad funny, JUST A TAD but yeah why does Nightwing have to die by *shudder* Robin!

#26 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

I can let certain things like personalities being different slide, because that's what Elseworlds are for at the end of the day. I don't even see it as that huge of a leap given Damian's personality at various times during his life, along with his upbringing. We don't know that things progressed in this Universe the same way they did in the Pre-Flashpoint DCU or Post-Flashpoint DCnU. The only thing I can't forgive is Dick's death. Awful, and horribly written. They're arguing during a riot and Damian attacks him from the back, WTF is that?!

#27 Posted by vernierhawk001 (533 posts) - - Show Bio
@ritchieb said:

@smoothjammin:

me 2. I think both Grayson's got the shaft. I mean if you know anything about Dick and Damian at all, Damian turning on Dick is really shocking because they are so close. I could see Damian turning on Tim or Jason and honestly even Bruce if things got bad enough but Damian turning on Dick is probably the most shocking of it. its not something you can just say happened it needs a detailed explanation and honorable death if you do it. but even if they didn't do it that way they should have atleast had Grayson in the story long enough for (our) grayson to beat the sh!7 out of damian for killing his other self and say that Damian only won with Superman's or someone elses help

Haha...I hope that "if you know anything about Dick and Damian at all" comment was general and not directed towards smoothjammin. He was the leading contributer to the DG forum before the website rebooted. 700+ posts......

#28 Posted by vernierhawk001 (533 posts) - - Show Bio

@tohoma said:

Spoiler Alert!:

The only thing worse than the plot twist was how he died.

This honestly just ruined the injustice comic for me and my whole week. Nightwing gets no respect nor love in the game and the comic.

So...I think I am going to disagree wth most Nightwing fans here.

A) let me get this out of the way...I am a HUGE Grayson fan. he is probably my number one favorite superhero and I've probably made that clear elsewhere in teh archives of this forum

B) I think this death was a fitting end for Dick. Now hear me out. I'm not saying I'm happy that he died (and I do wish it was a little more epic) but I think the ramifications of his death, the fallout of whats going to come next....the symbolic nature of it and the impact that it had (especially in the interior monologue) provide an excellent representation of how important Dick really is as a hero. Think about it...what other deaths of a "minor" character would have had this impact....delivered this "Oh crap...things just got real"? Green Arrow. Aquaman. hawkman. etc......even batgirl. No other hero death would compare

#29 Edited by RitchieB (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@vernierhawk001:

no, its not direct at smooth Jammin, just a general statement.

is that seriously how Grayson died guys? please tell me that its a joke. Did Graysons death have an affect definitely but if your going to do a game, movie, comic, w/e you have to respect the character. It just bugs me that Netherrealm made a huge deal about the "super pills" to make characters stronger and a way to suggest how non powered fighters could compete with those who have powers than have dick get killed by slipping? what? the only other thing that grayson was basically not in the game. I mean there was no reason Dick could not have gone through the space time portal thingy with cyborg.

#30 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

If there's one good thing about this it's that Bruce reacted exactly as i'd expect him to if Dick died.

#31 Posted by Onemoreposter (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG they million dollar baby'd Nightwing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.