Should The Nightwing Book get a new Logo on the Cover?

Posted by Nightwingdg (83 posts) 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: Should The Nightwing Book get a new Logo on the Cover? (46 votes)

No - The current one with the bat symbol is fine. 20%
Yes - Have Brett Booth design a new one. 24%
Yes - Have Brett Booth design multiples and let the fans vote. 39%
Yes - The original 1996 Nightwing book logo. 22%
#1 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing they should do is remove the Bat symbol and replace it with Nightwings symbol. I think we all know Nightwing is part of the bat family. We don't need a giant bat symbol to remind us.

#2 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4899 posts) - - Show Bio

Wheres the logo so I can judge it?

#3 Posted by Alak (928 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the original one:

Here's the New 52 one:

#4 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, either they need to go back to the original logo or get the Bat symbol off the current one.

#5 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12664 posts) - - Show Bio

The original logo always made it look like it was saying NIGH WING. Remove the batlogo and put a new logo in place of it.

#6 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

I want it to have a Nightwing logo but I understand why they Have the bat symbol. They want newbies to see it and know its connected to Batman in the chance it'll bring in a reader they otherwise wouldn't have. It basically screams "Batman" and essentially to those who don't know Nigtwing already "he you know Batman! Try this!". Because the people who know and like Nightwing will buy it regardless.

#7 Posted by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote the new logo but replace the bat with Grayson's bird. Nightwing is becoming ever more popular and I think having a recognizable symbol is important.

#8 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

I want it to have a Nightwing logo but I understand why they Have the bat symbol. They want newbies to see it and know its connected to Batman in the chance it'll bring in a reader they otherwise wouldn't have. It basically screams "Batman" and essentially to those who don't know Nigtwing already "he you know Batman! Try this!". Because the people who know and like Nightwing will buy it regardless.

I can understand that, but at the end of the day I find tactics like that to be a little dishonest (as a new reader could just look at the symbol, come into the book expecting more Batman than there is, and get pissed about the lack of it) Then there's the fact that if Dick's going to be an A-List character he simply needs to be able to stand on his own merits, which includes his symbol being just as recognizable as Bruce's or Clark's.

#9 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the original one - it looks like Nightwing's symbol and the arched shape references his tutelage under Batman. The new one just looks lazy with the Bat logo.

#10 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@nathaniel_christopher: I mean I feel you there. Just don't know if DC does.

That's the real question isn't it? The way I see it logo's should only be combined when it's a team book (Superman/Batman) Otherwise it should only be the starring character's logo lol you wouldn't have Wonder Woman's logo on Superman's comic!

#12 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing they should do is remove the Bat symbol and replace it with Nightwings symbol. I think we all know Nightwing is part of the bat family. We don't need a giant bat symbol to remind us.

this

#14 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@nathaniel_christopher: but, once again, it's all about sales. DC is a business after all.

I didn't disagree with that, though unless DC has some type of info saying Nightwing's currently selling more comics because of the Batman symbol on the front it really doesn't have anything to do with sales and is just more of an artistic choice.

#15 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher: well i can't think of any other reason why they would.

But it doesn't really matter to me anyway. I'm more interested about the quality of the contents INSIDE the comic. The Nightwing logo could be Dick's butt for all I care. (Actually that'd probably be the best way to pull in new readers now that I think about it)

#16 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@nathaniel_christopher: well i can't think of any other reason why they would.

But it doesn't really matter to me anyway. I'm more interested about the quality of the contents INSIDE the comic. The Nightwing logo could be Dick's butt for all I care. (Actually that'd probably be the best way to pull in new readers now that I think about it)

Artistic choice i'd imagine.

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (7752 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never liked the bat in the logo.

#18 Posted by RitchieB (217 posts) - - Show Bio

just out of curiosity do the other Bat Books like Red Hood and Babs have the Bat Symbol? or just dicks?

#19 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@ritchieb said:

just out of curiosity do the other Bat Books like Red Hood and Babs have the Bat Symbol? or just dicks?

Can't speak for all the others, but Red Hood and the Outlaws does have the symbol:

#20 Posted by Nightwingdg (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't Red Hood have a Bat symbol on his chest though? So that makes more sense.

I really can't get into the Red Hood character. He's so lame.

#21 Edited by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

The bird logo in red with the title letters on the front.

#22 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

The bird logo in red with the title letters on the front.

I can dig it.Although even being a "newb 52" reader(started last year) i really do think the blue looks better overall.Also i think red makes him stand out more at night(not good....cause stealth),but not in the bat-family.I think they need a new one for his comic covers.

#23 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

The blue logo will always be the best, the blue bird logo from either YJ, TT, or TNBA would be even better. I'd be thrilled for Nightwing to finally adopt the Bird logo in the main DCU.

#24 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

The blue logo will always be the best, the blue bird logo from either YJ, TT, or TNBA would be even better. I'd be thrilled for Nightwing to finally adopt the Bird logo in the main DCU.

I want that to happen too blue or red,that needs to be part of the suit.

#25 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost every book should. I could make better ones using word art on Microsoft Word 2005.

#26 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher: yeah well why do you think DC made that artistic choice? Its not to bust your chops, they wanted to create a certain scheme for all the bat books. They probably figure it makes the whole bat family concept more marketable.

#27 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@nathaniel_christopher: yeah well why do you think DC made that artistic choice? Its not to bust your chops, they wanted to create a certain scheme for all the bat books. They probably figure it makes the whole bat family concept more marketable.

Of course they made the choice. Just like they made the choice to change Dick's costume symbol from blue to red. And i'm sure they fully planned on having every other character with the symbol on their book, partially cash in on Batman's fame by having the symbol present, as if for example a person walked by RHATO and had never heard of the character, but saw the symbol it could be picked up out of curiosity. However, that's again not really something with any type of stat backing it up, just an idea. Like the idea that being married made Spider-Man too "old".

#28 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher: no stats that you have that is. They have a whole division of people whose job it is to make these informed decisions. I trust they recognize what gives them sales better than us. And of course its an idea, one which provides an all emcompassing theme for the Bat family books and seemingly brings them more money. A perfect example of this is your frustration over the costume color scheme and cover logo changes. I assume your knowledge of the character means you still buy the book, in which case they haven't dissuaded you from buying it. Anyway they can simplify these characters for potential new buyers and keep you around is their optimal approach. Seems its working.

Also, once again, who really cares? These are minor aesthetic changes. They aren't changing the actual character of who Dick is and what he represents. That is all intact. Those are changes I could see getting legitimately upset over. A cover logo and blue to red shift? It is obviously not what I would want, but there's no reason to believe these changes will even last as they we were just fresh ideas introduced for the New 52.

And it's interesting you bring up Spiderman as if DC really wanted to piss you off they could have actually done real changes beyond the aesthetic and had Nightwing's consciousness switching with, say, the Joker (or Dick believing he is him). Then you could be one of those many upset Peter Parker fans crying foul while maybe having more of a leg to stand on.

I hear you on the arbitrariness of these changes for established fans. I just don't think it's worth getting so up in arms over such minor changes.

#29 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@nathaniel_christopher: no stats that you have that is. They have a whole division of people whose job it is to make these informed decisions. I trust they recognize what gives them sales better than us. And of course its an idea, one which provides an all emcompassing theme for the Bat family books and seemingly brings them more money. A perfect example of this is your frustration over the costume color scheme and cover logo changes. I assume your knowledge of the character means you still buy the book, in which case they haven't dissuaded you from buying it. Anyway they can simplify these characters for potential new buyers and keep you around is their optimal approach. Seems its working.

Also, once again, who really cares? These are minor aesthetic changes. They aren't changing the actual character of who Dick is and what he represents. That is all intact. Those are changes I could see getting legitimately upset over. A cover logo and blue to red shift? It is obviously not what I would want, but there's no reason to believe these changes will even last as they we were just fresh ideas introduced for the New 52.

And it's interesting you bring up Spiderman as if DC really wanted to piss you off they could have actually done real changes beyond the aesthetic and had Nightwing's consciousness switching with, say, the Joker (or Dick believing he is him). Then you could be one of those many upset Peter Parker fans crying foul while maybe having more of a leg to stand on.

I hear you on the arbitrariness of these changes for established fans. I just don't think it's worth getting so up in arms over such minor changes.

No one's getting up in arms lol its just a conversation.

Also, the idea that they only make choices that give them better sales is nice, but not really backed up by the history of Nightwing's book. They've made bigger changes, actual changes to the content that exists in the story before, the story's gotten worse, sales have dropped, and they've still kept going. Not saying they don't want to make money of course, just saying that because they make a change, that doesn't in any way mean it's tied to sales. As you pointed out, just changing the logo to red gives Dick a certain symmetry with the rest of his "brothers". I agree they can make changes and then still have old readers come in as well as new ones, but the opposite of that is just as true.

I bring up One More Day with Spider-Man because that's an example of a major change being made to a character, and the character not necessarily benefiting in any way, fans being pissed, and the person who headed the change outright admitting he did it based on the way he personally thought fans viewed the character. Superior Spider-Man's another example. The numerous changes that have been made to Dick's character since Flashpoint is again another one. I could go on about changes that are made that really don't do anything, but cause change for change's sake.

You're in a thread discussing these changes and asking who cares?

Again i'm not majorly upset. If I was i'd be making blog posts about it. Instead i'm only talking about it in a thread designed to talk about it lol

#30 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes they should give it a new logo

#31 Edited by Nightwing_Beyond (162 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like a new logo that asserts Nightwing's independence from Batman. He can stand on his own and doesn't need a Bat symbol to keep his book alive. I understand the reasons why the bat logo is there so I suppose I'm ok with it yet, I feel Nightwing shouldn't belong under the bat umbrella. That's the whole point. He should stand as Batman's equal at this point. DC claims to have no fear with what they're doing in the New 52 so, they should really try and see how far they can take Nightwing as a solo presence.

#32 Posted by Alak (928 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by dropkickjake (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no problem with Nightwing using the Bat logo for the cover of the book. I would like to see the bird symbol from Young Justice on his chest somehow. tricky part is incorporated the fingerstipes as well.

#34 Posted by NightwingEscrima (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwings new logo should be something new, everbody know's he is part of the bat family, but having batman's symbol behind his name implies he is still under him. As well, his original logo wasn't fantastic so he definitly needs something new.

#35 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC would never remove the batman logo from these books......They gotta make that money!!Anything related to batman sells....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.