Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9430 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

should nightwing have a cowel

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

i think nightwing should have a cowel to protect his head from um bullets.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You don't need protection if you're agile enough. He is.

Avatar image for deactivated-6318083af35cc
    deactivated-6318083af35cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's a reason for him to wear a cowl is so that he wouldn't be recognized.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cowl is not nightwing's style imo. The cowl would slow him down as nightwing tends to be more flamboyant and agile in combat. In fact the cowl was one of the problems Dick addressed during his Batman and Robin series.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) No, because as has been said, he's more of a move around and avoid hits kind of guy. And realistically, there is no cowl/helmet that can save Dick's life from direct gunfire.

2) No, because, even as a dude, I have to say he's too man-pretty.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

1) No, because as has been said, he's more of a move around and avoid hits kind of guy. And realistically, there is no cowl/helmet that can save Dick's life from direct gunfire.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When he had that cowl or head gear thing as Renegade it didn't bother me that much, but I wasn't fond of it either.

Avatar image for nightwingescrima
    NightwingEscrima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a cowl would ruin his look, he is suppused to be a more happy, comedic hero than a dark brooding one like Batman. Plus a cowl or hood would not provide much, if any protection from bullets, unless he wheres a metal helmet.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No, he should not.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naah, doesn't go with his style and it doesn't really add anything. He can just keep doing what he does now and dodge anything that comes his way.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Coolness>Practicality

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RDClip

What and cover up Dick's pretty boy good looks? No thank you, Sir.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's too pretty. Wearing a cowl also throws off his aerodynamics, lel

smiling4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By smiling4ever

Nope.Dick's fine the way he is now.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wouldn't he look just like his renegade persona at that point?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

No, Nightwing's suit is probably based off the style of a circus performer, which makes sense, because he is more agile and jumps around more. Batman's cape is for hiding in the shadows, theatricality, and scaring the criminals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

first off.....cowl does not mean cape. I don't know why so many people are bringing up the cape aspect of this. Batman wears a cape and cowl. Yes, some depictions of him have made them one in the same but that doesn't mean a cowl must have a cape.

to answer the question, yes, I think Nightwing should have a cowl......as well as Robin and Red Robin. Why? Because it goes along with part of what they learned under Bruce, that their costumes are meant to inspire fear as much as they are to protect their bodies. Seeing a guy in a domino mask with tangled hair isn't frightening. Its just a dude in a bodysuit at that point.

that's not including the protection a cowl brings both physical and in the likelihood of someone figuring out your identity (for everything the Green Lantern film got wrong, the scene where Carol points out how Hal wearing a little mask over his eyes isn't going to fool her was spot on).

which is also why I wish the DCnU revamp had left the Red Robin suit alone when redesigning everyone. it was perfect for Tim and clearly showcased how much more like Bruce he was than Dick had ever been, even with Dick taking over the mantle of Batman at the same time.

that's not to say Dick, Tim, and Damian (well, beforehand) would look exactly the same wearing cowls (obviously there versions would not have bat ears) because each could have separate details. Dick's could have the Nightwing mask pattern in blue around his eyes (yes, I hate the fact that all of Bruce's sidekicks must wear black and red....Nightwing needs the blue/blue-silver look because its what honors his circus past), Tim's would be all black with the angled cheeks and nose, Damian's (or whoever becomes the next Robin) could have the Robin mask pattern in dark green or maybe just dark green patches at the temples.

just seems silly that DC clearly wanted to show a more armored appearance for its heroes and villains (and in some cases like Bruce and his team that makes sense as they don't have superpowers......but in cases like Superman didn't really add anything to the character) and yet leaves Nightwing, Red Robin, and Robin with an exposed head.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i only brought up the cowel thing cause the little mask looks cool but it hides nothing and i think batmans cowel dose have some metal plates in it to protect him from limited gunfire. maybe iam thinking to real world idk.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

could anyone show how that would look in the nightwing outfit with a cowl?

@ltbrd said:

first off.....cowl does not mean cape. I don't know why so many people are bringing up the cape aspect of this. Batman wears a cape and cowl. Yes, some depictions of him have made them one in the same but that doesn't mean a cowl must have a cape.

to answer the question, yes, I think Nightwing should have a cowl......as well as Robin and Red Robin. Why? Because it goes along with part of what they learned under Bruce, that their costumes are meant to inspire fear as much as they are to protect their bodies. Seeing a guy in a domino mask with tangled hair isn't frightening. Its just a dude in a bodysuit at that point.

that's not including the protection a cowl brings both physical and in the likelihood of someone figuring out your identity (for everything the Green Lantern film got wrong, the scene where Carol points out how Hal wearing a little mask over his eyes isn't going to fool her was spot on).

which is also why I wish the DCnU revamp had left the Red Robin suit alone when redesigning everyone. it was perfect for Tim and clearly showcased how much more like Bruce he was than Dick had ever been, even with Dick taking over the mantle of Batman at the same time.

that's not to say Dick, Tim, and Damian (well, beforehand) would look exactly the same wearing cowls (obviously there versions would not have bat ears) because each could have separate details. Dick's could have the Nightwing mask pattern in blue around his eyes (yes, I hate the fact that all of Bruce's sidekicks must wear black and red....Nightwing needs the blue/blue-silver look because its what honors his circus past), Tim's would be all black with the angled cheeks and nose, Damian's (or whoever becomes the next Robin) could have the Robin mask pattern in dark green or maybe just dark green patches at the temples.

just seems silly that DC clearly wanted to show a more armored appearance for its heroes and villains (and in some cases like Bruce and his team that makes sense as they don't have superpowers......but in cases like Superman didn't really add anything to the character) and yet leaves Nightwing, Red Robin, and Robin with an exposed head.

I would definitely be interested in seeing them all in cowls. I didnt like the cowl for Tim before but that doesnt mean they couldnt make a better looking one.

I like the design ideas you have for each persons cowl too.

Dick hated the cowl bc it restricted his movements though. Im sure they could come up with something that would look good and work with what he wants

dropkickjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this thread is:

A- pretty much completely dead

B- a moot point anyway, as Dick won't even have a domino anymore.

But... I was actually thinking about this today. If we were to get another straight Nightwing series, I'd like his suit to include a partial cowl, something like the old Kid Flash mask. It would need to not cover his hair, to preserve his look, but cover more of his face. I just think it would help with suspension of disbelief a bit. It would make it a little bit more feasible for Nightwing to talk to people he knew from his civilian life without them immediately recognizing him. Just as importantly, it could allow him to appear on TV, newspapers, et c. without civilian friends clearly recognizing him. I think that would enable him to really be the hero of a city in a way more akin to Superman or Spider-Man, which I think is more fitting to his character than the shadowy protector like Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.