Origins Revealed?

#1 Posted by JayAaerow (473 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50240

Something that came out today! In April, Nightwing's Origins are revealed! Also alongside with Superman and Supergirl! I'm actually kinda liking this because the fact his Origins Story are going to be shared with Superman and Supergirl is cool. Perhaps they have something in common with each other at one point. I hope so! If the Solicits is saying he's one of the World's Greatest Hero, maybe they'll actually explain what he did that was soo darn cool Superwoman said "He has so many friends".

If I'm wrong about their being a connection between the three, that's fine. I'm still excited. Also, his Origins is going to be by Kyle Higgins with Georga Pak and Tony Bedard,. It increases chances of being a fairly good Origin instead of a random writer who knows next to zip about him coming up with one.

Thoughts? Comments? Concern? Proclamations? Declamations?

#2 Posted by Vitacura (91 posts) - - Show Bio

That sounds like the valentine issue, different stories without connection.

I fail to get excited, interest or even curious for another origin story by Higgins?! That's Zero Year, how many chances at telling the same story is Higgins going to get?

But hey, maybe this time Krypton won't blow up, Kara won't get frozen and the rope won't snap.....

#3 Edited by JayAaerow (473 posts) - - Show Bio

@vitacura said:

That sounds like the valentine issue, different stories without connection.

I fail to get excited, interest or even curious for another origin story by Higgins?! That's Zero Year, how many chances at telling the same story is Higgins going to get?

But hey, maybe this time Krypton won't blow up, Kara won't get frozen and the rope won't snap.....

I hope there's some connection. Pre-reboot, there was. I just hope to see a little of it in that. Won't cross my fingers but I can dream, right?

Zero Year isn't a Origin story. Just a story of something he did a year ago. Plus, this one deals with him becoming Nightwing.

#4 Edited by richardjohngrayson (445 posts) - - Show Bio

It says Dick Grayson and also says the first Robin. No mention of Nightwing. I think it will be the story of how he came to be Robin. The death of The Flying Graysons, Bruce taking him under his wing, etc..

SECRET ORIGINS #1

Written by TONY BEDARD, KYLE HIGGINS and GREG PAK

Art by PAULO SIQUEIRA, WILL CONRAD and others

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

1:25 Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT

On sale APRIL 23 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

At last, the SECRET ORIGINS of the World’s Greatest Heroes in The New 52 can be revealed! This new series gets off to an awesome start with the origins of The Last Son of Krypton and Kara Zor-El, Supergirl, plus the first Robin, Dick Grayson.

#5 Posted by MaccyD (5111 posts) - - Show Bio

Has it been explained how Dick Grayson fits into the New 52 5 year timeline yet?

#7 Posted by JayAaerow (473 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson said:

It says Dick Grayson and also says the first Robin. No mention of Nightwing. I think it will be the story of how he came to be Robin. The death of The Flying Graysons, Bruce taking him under his wing, etc..

SECRET ORIGINS #1

Written by TONY BEDARD, KYLE HIGGINS and GREG PAK

Art by PAULO SIQUEIRA, WILL CONRAD and others

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

1:25 Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT

On sale APRIL 23 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

At last, the SECRET ORIGINS of the World’s Greatest Heroes in The New 52 can be revealed! This new series gets off to an awesome start with the origins of The Last Son of Krypton and Kara Zor-El, Supergirl, plus the first Robin, Dick Grayson.

Weird. The News I read form it that rediected to the Comicbookresouces site said Nightwing. I hope it's not him as Robin. -____- We already have that. I was assuming the book will get into more depth with origin of characters. I hope it's not some collection of 0 Issues.

@maccyd said:

Has it been explained how Dick Grayson fits into the New 52 5 year timeline yet?

Yes and no. Kinda. We know how he became Robin.....but Nightwing? No. That's like...half an origin since he's introduced as NW in the New 52. I was hoping this story would go and explain that....but RichardJohnGrayson pointed out it says "Robin". =___=

#8 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12674 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think this is going to be one story involving all three characters since Supergirl arrived on Earth when Dick was already Nightwing. I think these are going to be 3 short stories quickly explaining their origins -- which is strange since we already know these three New 52 origins. I REALLY hope this isn't going to be a quick summary of the first few Supergirl issues, Morrison's AC run, and Nightwing #0.

But at the same time…something tells me REVAAAAAAAMP.

#9 Edited by DEGRAAF (7918 posts) - - Show Bio

I am hoping the reason for this is to reconnect the nightwing persona to Krypton mythology/stories

#10 Posted by Vitalius (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they do some heroes that doesnt have much as origin story or got lot of changes on New 52.

#11 Edited by youknowwhattodo (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the origin of the new 52 Nightwing, since he's likely going to lose that persona in a few months?

#12 Posted by JayAaerow (473 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind getting a glimpse into his earlier Robin days. One day DC will have to give us a definitive Nightwing origin. It would be an extreme disservice if they don't soon.

#14 Edited by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, this isn't a slap in the face. Nice job DC.

#15 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder what exactly this is going to reveal that hasn't already been touched on. For me, the big elephant in the room is Dick going from Robin to Nightwing. While i'm always down to read more stories of him as Robin, (And in fact I wouldn't mind if they made a few trades chronicling some of his adventures. I mean, it's not like he was leading a team of young superheroes so i'm sure he had plenty of time on his hands for solo work...) I really don't need to know anything more about those days at the moment.

#16 Posted by Munsu (164 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher: Well Higgins said that in Secret Origin he is just going to retell his mediocre/bland robin origin he did for the Zero Issue month just from a different perspective. Like maybe Alfred will be POV character and tell it instead of Dick. Though I wouldn't mind if Higgins uses this as a way to retcon the dumb Lady Shiva part of his origin and make it feel iconic again. If you can't tell I was quite disappointed with the retelling of Dick's Robin origin in the Zero issue, lol. It was just so uninspired to me.

Also as far as him going from Robin to Nightwing Higgins said in some podcast and interviews that he wants the reason he became Nightwing the first time to be related to Zucco coming back or something. Since basically it sounded like he wanted to make Zucco Dick's Joker or Luthor, which I though was also a terrible idea. I really didn't like that he brought back Zucco at all really. He isn't a character and past of his past Dick should be constantly dealing with. It makes him too much like Bruce. He apparently wanted Zucco to be the big bad of the Chicago arc but DC wanted to push the Prankster more so he had to go a different route.

Here is the podcast where he talks about his original plans for the Chicago arc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrORkn-yv20

#17 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayaaerow: at the end of the interview he did say he had something ramping up at DC, and maybe we'd hear about it soon,he also was hesitant to mention anything for the book going forward after his departure(since there is none),I'm hoping whatever's he's ramping up at DC involves Dick Grayson in it,and Wally West,and Beast Boy. Probably just grasping at straws,but I've gotta hope.

#18 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (12674 posts) - - Show Bio

DC: Secret Origins = ruh ruh ruh ruh RETCOOOOON.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.