Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9484 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Off My Mind: Dick Grayson's New Direction

• 107 results
    DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice but..When is Tim Drake gonna hit it big? lol

Uncommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Uncommon

As a whole I'm not crazy about the direction they are taking Dick, but I'm happy that they are trying something different. Also, what's the worst that can happen?

Also, I won't deny, that the winter soldier similarities are plentiful here.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon: universe= uni meaning one or together + verse meaning versus or against.... together we r against...and this is y the world is the way it is...how far down the rabbit hole do u wish to go?

Actually the "verse" part comes from the latin "versum", which means something rotating,changed. The whole word means "everything rotated as one".

Still your previous quote was awesome :-P

Godlike130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Godlike130

I commend DC for trying something new here. They're taking the character out of his comfort zone, and putting him in a new situation. This is much better to see then DC doing nothing, and being content with him just doing his usual thing. This shows they care. That they do want to try new things with Dick, and that they aren't content with leaving him stuck and just spinning his wheels.

Dicks never been a superspy before, and Spyrl hasn't really been explored. So this is new and uncharted territory for Dick, and somthing that could potentially fill the hole DC left him with by ripping the Titans side away from him. Will it be the same, no, but thats ok. Its still something. I don't want to see him do the same things over again anyway. Here he can build new connections with Spyrl, and accomplish new things.

And hes distinct enough that just because hes gonna try the superspy thing it doesn't mean hes gonna turn into Bucky Barnes. And unlike Bucky being a superspy is foreign to Dick. Where being a superhero (Captain America) was foreign to Bucky. Which is part of what made Bucky's Cap run interesting. He was out of his element. Versatile characters can be put in different roles and still be the characters we enjoy. We saw this when Dick became batman.

One of the biggest complaints about Higgins series is that it was ordinary. Changing things up, and thrusting characters in new unexpected and uncharted territory for them is a way u keep things from being ordinary. Complacency is not much better than death for a character like Dick Grayson.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By righteous300

@kivatt said:

@jonny_anonymous: Yes, yes it is. You are asking comic book fans, the Superboy-Primes of the real world. They will complain, and moan about everything.

Haha I've never thought of it like that. They really are just like Superboy-Prime!

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herokiller12344: Still, we'll probably get lots of guest-appearances. My money is on Batman and maybe Jason Todd for a couple of issues

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is still a weird direction but hopefully they can convince me otherwise. I have no idea what Spyral is and I hope this and Batman Eternal doesnt get too lost in any kind of Batman Inc. material. I love really grounded characters that dont really have any super abilities such as Batman and Green Arrow so I hope this is a good change in hindsight.

I also wonder how Kyle Higgins feels about this as well as if he will have any input in the future. I was just here and there with his run on Nightwing but I always felt it was going in the right direction.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@captain13 said:

I have no problem with good changes (Red Lanterns, Sinestro Corps, Talons, The Machine), but this seems to be a bad change because it strays too far from the core setting of the character. When Marvel did this to 616 Spider-man by replacing him with Doc Ock, I missed out on 2 years of real Spider-man stories. There are consequences for readers like me when Marvel or DC does this.

Also, this change is more bothersome because DC really doesn't know how to use their legacy characters in a way I find compelling. Once there was a time when young heroes struggled with the weight of history and finding a place in the tapestry of heroism. That's all gone. And Dick Grayson, in particular, is a weaker character because of it. What happened to the leader of the next generation? What happened to his identity? What happened to his friends and family? What happened to his history? They just keep taking stuff away from this character and adding nothing to make up for what was taken.

Why can't he lead a team of Titans? Why can't he team up with a Wally and Donna, even if they are new versions? Why can't he just be Nightwing? Ugh. And this happens just when Wally is returning, so you know they aren't going to properly fix the mess that is Teen Titans.

You realise that all this crap you are moaning about will happen? I mean it's a forgone conclusion. It's happened before and it's obviously going to happen again because people like you force comic companies to tell the same god damn stories over and over. So why not, just for a little while, let them tell new stories in new situations? Would that be so god damn hard to ask?

This change isn't consistent with the mythology of the character, but let's have change for the sake of change. Next month, let's make Superman a golfer just because it hasn't been done before.

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By InkInk

@jonny_anonymous: Why have you taken it a pawn yourself to champion for this concept? Your not going to change anyone's opinion like they are not going to change yours. At the end of the day love it or hate it this is just a change to have Dick do something when Batman Eternal is going on. Seeing how connected this is to Morrison's run I do not see the creative team staying for a large amount of time without huge editorial differences.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: AMEN TO THAT ONE. People cry when the stories are the same and when they change stuff up and try new angles its 'give me back the good ol stuff *Insert comic publisher here* this isn't the character i know'

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
    TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. eh.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: If anything, A.R.G.U.S. is the S.H.I.E.L.D. ripoff, Spyral doesn't really have much in common with S.H.I.E.L.D. other than being spy agencies. Not that it really matters though.

As to the whole Dick thing, meh, it's hard for me to care when I know this won't last very long.

Also, I can't help of thinking of what Wondie went through in the late 60s when she gave up her powers and the WW identity, becoming a kung fu expert Diana Prince.

fragmentmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By fragmentmind

You know what, DC's attempt to create the New 52 was a great idea UNTIL they forgot to erase certain Batman characters. Everyone else's origin actually works, except Batman's. They wanted to fit all the events from a past continuity that spanned more than 20 years into 5 little wee years. If that's the case, erase Nightwing and make him Robin. At least we could watch Dick grow into Nightwing and then root for him as he's changed into something else. Hell, Jason Todd's death by the Syndicate would have been a great buildup point for his return as the Red Hood a year or two down the line. When there's been a 5 year later storyline Damian could pop up. I think I'm forgetting Tim Drake, who's storyline is pretty good, except in TT it doesn't feel like these are kids who USED to be sidekicks. Anywho, let me rap this up and say that Dick as a secret agent doesn't feel quite right unless he's wearing a mask. Shit, a full cover mask isn't asking for much.

Godlike130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Godlike130

@fragmentmind: But he's so pretty. Why would u want to cover that up.

DeawonCDelaney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DeawonCDelaney

I can deal with Dick being "Agent Grayson" I mean it's only going to last a year And it may add a new dynamic to his character. I wouldn't mind at the end of this seeing Dick (In his Nightwing persona) becoming the head of the organization

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ravisher

i dont like seeing him with a gun

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#67  Edited By Extremis

It's pretty silly to be a secret agent once everyone knows who you already are. I thought we got past that when Daniel Craig took over the Bond series. Apparently the comic books need to have a go of it.

Godlike130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PhantomArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: true he is but i MUCH rather see him as nightwing on his own then in some spy team, it seems every bat-member has to join a group like redhood and the outlaws and tim drake in teen titans

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    No Caption Provided

I was hoping for a costume more like this, just no mask. Or logos.

No Caption Provided

Or this

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could go either way depending on the writing.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Terrible idea. Nightwing was simply great. Super spy...pfft...

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By redwingx

@jonny_anonymous said:

How does Dick being a spy feel wrong?

Dick was trained to use firearms by Batman when he was becoming robin, he's also carried a gun when he was a policeman. Batman doesn't care if Red Hood, Batwoman or Blue Bird uses guns so why would he care if Dick does?

The batfamily has a code for no guns. Batman does indeed care that Red Hood uses a gun, that's why hes death to him.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#74  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@redwingx said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Dick was trained to use firearms by Batman when he was becoming robin, he's also carried a gun when he was a policeman. Batman doesn't care if Red Hood, Batwoman or Blue Bird uses guns so why would he care if Dick does?

The batfamily has a code for no guns. Batman does indeed care that Red Hood uses a gun, that's why hes death to him.

Clearly you don't actually read the Batman comics.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds cool, I'm in.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I avoided reading the spoiler article on purpose because I hate spoilers. So I want to thank you for putting a spoiler in the synopsis on the main page.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe this can serve as an opportunity to come up with good stories for tim as he can fill the void of ex-sidekick gone solo role like he did pre-new 52 when dick stopped being Nightwing and became Batman...it's been a struggle finding a purpose for each character hopefully DC won't squander this opportunity to find direction for the Bat-family.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#79  Edited By SlamAdams

@phantomartist: Buying all the comics should definitely get a Nightwing series back [/sarcasm]

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Mapuia_Ralte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Mapuia_Ralte

So they ran out of stories to craft using his Nightwing persona and did a 180 turn on his character and call it creativity? I call it laziness.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

I think this will be an interesting new direction for Dick. Hope it is good

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a couple points. One, Dick Grayson was a police officer for a couple years during the Chuck Dixon and of course carried a gun. He and Bruce had arguments over his choice to carry one but Dick stuck by his decision to fight crime and help others in and out of costume. So Dick using a gun is nothing that hasn't been done already. Two, bandwagon fanboys who have suddenly become winter soldier experts after watching the recent movie are more than welcome to not buy the new Grayson series of it's too much of a "ripoff" for them to handle. I'll definitely be getting the series.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Maddpanda531

@jonny_anonymous: I wish it was Batman holding the bazooka, that way I could call it the "Batzooka". Oh well, "Nightwingzooka" it is, then.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@fragmentmind: But he's so pretty. Why would u want to cover that up.

Wont that not matter once people see him without the mask? If he had a mask on they'd think it was just a guy in a mask. Now they see him and it's like "oh, Dick Grayson's still alive".

karasu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By karasu_

Damnit Dick. Why didn't you don your Red X persona and do mercenary work with Deathstroke..

RayeGunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been trying to process this. When it was first rumored that he was gonna live after all, and be in a book called 'Grayson' I was all like 'woo!' cus I like the character. Then I saw this and I was like 'whaaaaat?' I mean, a spy book set in the DCU? that would be fine. ... with Dick Grayson as the spy? that's just... weird. It feels like it goes against what the character is all about. If they address that in the story, if tehy have him questioning them and stating that he feels out of place, it could maaaaybe work, i guess... but overall this feels more like something that is just a poor fit for the character. But, I will wait and see...

fragmentmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godlike130: He maybe gorgeous, no homo, but he needs a mask!!!! Or glasses.

Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbeam said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

This.

its not about the tools of the trade but the trade itself. Dicks life has being about the super hero life from fighting villians,teaming up with heroes, leading heroes, watching over a city .How does a james bond super spy life connect to the super hero world?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@darkbeam said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

This.

its not about the tools of the trade but the trade itself. Dicks life has being about the super hero life from fighting villians,teaming up with heroes, leading heroes, watching over a city .How does a james bond super spy life connect to the super hero world?

Pretty easily if you ask Black Widow

Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

former leader of various titan members one time outsiders leader two time justice league leader worked in 4 cities as a crime fighter. dick was heavy on the super hero life.He didnt just show up when major events happened and with richard grayson dead and known to be dead to all his firends in and out of capes the cape world will be off limits.Now that he works without a mask he can have no interaction with any hero whatso ever since everyone from top tier to low tier heroes will remember the guy who the syndicate ousted and killed.Leaving super spying as his only trade.And in marvel their spies sometimes work with the heroes to save the day DC has spies on the heores to keep tract of them to eliminate them .

AmbushSatyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know exactly what is going happen! Batman and Lex start fighting an army of some sort and just when Batman is about to die he wakes up and it was all a dream.

Avatar image for sir_lucious_pennyworth
    Sir_Lucious_Pennyworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a bad thing. A really bad thing. I understand why I dropped the New 52. Outside of Batman I struggled to enjoy some of the books I read. I am an old school DC head. I wish they would have just tweaked the old universe as opposed to scorch earthing the entire thing.

My prediction of the Dick Grayson thing is that they would "Kill" him off and change his name to John Blake. I don't get this move. Maybe it's an attempt to distance him from Batman. I think it's one of the worst ideas DC has come up with. Why would you expose his identity and his name now you have him walking around with a G on his chest? Am I missing something?

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#98  Edited By Mucklefluga

It all comes back round to the great Grant Morrison...

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: The following which is the synopsis from the Off My Mind post on the main page (News), not the forum link.

He's hanging up the tights and become a secret agent. Will that be a good or bad thing?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.