Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9486 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Off My Mind: Dick Grayson Gives Up Being Batman & Returns to Nightwing

• 161 results
    Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
    marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

in the red one he looks like wonder man

DarkBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By DarkBird
    @DiscoNightwing: ikr he became nightwing cause he wanted to leave the shadow of the bat make a name for himself not just be called batman's sidekick when he became batman he went back to the shadow of the bat 
    yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#153  Edited By yo_yo_fun

To me, Dick going back to being Nightwing is Not a step back. I've always felt that Dick becoming Nightwing was his greatest accomplishment. Him being Nightwing, meant he was his own man.  
    Though, I was really glad when Dick was chosen to be Batman cause that just made a lot of sense & he was the one who really deserved it. Him being the new Batman & Damien being the new Robin fit perfectly.  
    But now, Bruce is back & it was just weird for me to have two Batmans.  
    Dick going back to being Nightwing means (to me) that he's going to stop being someone else and going back to be his own identity again.   
    Very glad to have Nightwing back:) 

Oh, & why does he have red in that picture?? Please don't tell me that's his new costume. I mean, it doesn't look bad but we already have Robin wearing red, Red Robin wearing red & Batwoman has some red in her costume as well. Isn't that enough?LOL  
    Blue was better:) 

xander_cole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#154  Edited By xander_cole

I always knew that Dick would go back to be NIGHTWING!! because jumping off rooftops with a large cape and a litle robin as his sidekick, Dick always complained that the cape was not his style and Damian was a spoiled kid who got on his nerves. It's really cool that dick is Nightwing again since I'm a 100% dick grayson fan since his first appearance as nightwing in the mini series of Batman.

Avatar image for andrea_mendoza1997
    andrea_mendoza1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Oh well...

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#156  Edited By SpidermanWins

I love this new old costume and I am glad he is back as Nightwing

lapis2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By lapis2

like the new costume but liked him better as the new Batman.  It was cool to see the DCU evolve in a natural way. 

cloak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By cloak

And what about Damian? How well will Damian work with Bruce? will he work with him? Will it be "Nightwing and Robin" now? will he have his own book?

Avatar image for theonlysonofkrypton
    Theonlysonofkrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce wayne died how does he come back?

Redrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#160  Edited By Redrage

LIke the new costume, still think he took a step back by becoming Nightwing again. As for the mask arguement, some superheros don't where masks at all and their identities aren't discovered so....
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#161  Edited By Lion_Heart22

Oh man is like DC read my effin mind! I was never alright with Dick becoming Batman, and I did blog about it on my profile.. when Bruce was dead it was obvious that Dick should take the mantle (I even had arguments with my friends over it), but after Bruce came back, it was just reduntant.  
    Even though some seem to think that Dick's life journey has been a long evolution to becoming the Batman, I think they have it all wrong.. All his life, since leaving Robin behind, Dick has been trying to distance himself from that as much as possible, he became his own man anyway you want to see it. Even in Battle for the Cowl it was obvious he wasn't thrilled with the idea. Sure, he had fun with it for a while but think about it.. Batman? The Dark Knight, the Caped Crusader, having fun, cracking jokes, smiling all the time? This isn't Clooney's Batman! Dick was admiteddly cool as Batman but it wasn't Dick's Batman, it was Dick trying to be Bruce despite being very different from him.
    Best proof of that is the cape. Dick is DC's greatest acrobat, a cape serves him about as fine as it would The Flash, it's just not in his character to use one: He is fast, he is agile, and he represents the next model for a hero, and as heroes get more and more modern, they use less capes. If Dick had made the mantle his own, he would've removed the cape. I mean, say what you want about Batman Beyond, but there was no way in hell you would mix Terry McGinnis' Batman with Bruce's, same can be said for Azbats. Dick just tried being something he wasn't.  
    If people think Dick's taken a step back, I think it's the fan's fault because they seemingly can't see Nightwing as the fully-fledged hero he was and is. They keep seeing him as a sidekick or pre-stage to Batman and Nightwing is his very own character with different attributes.  
    I would love for him to get the recognition and respect he rightfully deserves as Nightwing, so people would stop expecting him to be Bruce's sub. 
    Thanks DC!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By BatteredArmor

well its about time that he was nightwing again
    Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By VampireSelektor

@Lion_Heart22 said:

Oh man is like DC read my effin mind! I was never alright with Dick becoming Batman, and I did blog about it on my profile.. when Bruce was dead it was obvious that Dick should take the mantle (I even had arguments with my friends over it), but after Bruce came back, it was just reduntant.  Even though some seem to think that Dick's life journey has been a long evolution to becoming the Batman, I think they have it all wrong.. All his life, since leaving Robin behind, Dick has been trying to distance himself from that as much as possible, he became his own man anyway you want to see it. Even in Battle for the Cowl it was obvious he wasn't thrilled with the idea. Sure, he had fun with it for a while but think about it.. Batman? The Dark Knight, the Caped Crusader, having fun, cracking jokes, smiling all the time? This isn't Clooney's Batman! Dick was admiteddly cool as Batman but it wasn't Dick's Batman, it was Dick trying to be Bruce despite being very different from him.Best proof of that is the cape. Dick is DC's greatest acrobat, a cape serves him about as fine as it would The Flash, it's just not in his character to use one: He is fast, he is agile, and he represents the next model for a hero, and as heroes get more and more modern, they use less capes. If Dick had made the mantle his own, he would've removed the cape. I mean, say what you want about Batman Beyond, but there was no way in hell you would mix Terry McGinnis' Batman with Bruce's, same can be said for Azbats. Dick just tried being something he wasn't.  If people think Dick's taken a step back, I think it's the fan's fault because they seemingly can't see Nightwing as the fully-fledged hero he was and is. They keep seeing him as a sidekick or pre-stage to Batman and Nightwing is his very own character with different attributes.  I would love for him to get the recognition and respect he rightfully deserves as Nightwing, so people would stop expecting him to be Bruce's sub. Thanks DC!

Reader response to Nightwing had a great deal to with the failure to produce excellent stories after that mixed-bag Blockbuster saga. The death of his then-greatest foe should have been the topic of conversation in online forums, not his "rape".  The ordeal with Blockbuster was his Knightfall; Blockbuster, like Bane*, shattered the notion that our hero could overcome every challenge with his own special attributes, only instead of just physical prowess, it was integrity. The trauma made him a stronger person, but Devin Grayson took the WRONG inspiration from Dick's character (his good looks), and undercut the intensity and meaning of the scene. Or maybe I wrong; maybe the entire affair from the final fight with Blockbuster to the the "rape" was a metaphor for how Nightwing had grown to be viewed in the eyes of a certain portion of the comic book community, a second-rate Batman who lacked the intellect, fighting skills, and honor to make to the big leagues,  a stereotype he overcame upon turning Tarantula and himself in to the police. Still, "Nightwing was raped" was the stigma that lasted until Batman R.I.P. Grayson (the writer) should have handled Nightwing going undercover to spy on Deathstroke with a higher level of skill. Grant Morrison was the first person to write Dick with respect to his own skills, temperament, and origins (Professor Pyg and the Circus of Strange are the most brilliantly written comic book villains since the Brotherhood of the Dada) since George Perez.     

Hopefully, Kyle Higgins will continue to introduce villains and characters tailored to Dick, and hopelfully use Professor Pyg.

* I realize juxtaposing a Batman and a Nightwing storyline in a written response urging comic book fans to see Nightwing as his own character is ironic, but still. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.