Off My Mind: Dick Grayson Gives Up Being Batman & Returns to Nightwing

• 163 results
Posted by G-Man (35019 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson is a character that has evolved more that the average comic book character. Starting out as a child in a circus whose parents were killed, he soon went on to become Batman's first sidekick, Robin. The two worked together for years and even formed a father/son relationship. Dick was no longer just a circus boy. Eventually he needed to move out of the shadow of Batman.

Spending more time away from Gotham, as Robin, Dick took on leadership of the Teen Titans. The team consisted of sidekicks trained by the best. The time then came for Dick to firmly cut his roots from Batman. Giving up the identity of Robin, Dick created the new identity of Nightwing.

It was as Nightwing that I first started reading Dick Grayson's adventures. With his stylish high-collared costume, his days as a kid sidekick were long gone. Dick Grayson become more identifiable as Nightwing than as Robin.

When it appeared that Batman died, Dick finally accepted that he should take on the mantle of the bat and become Batman, even though this was not Bruce's wishes. Having graduated to this next level, perhaps the ultimate level, of being a superhero, why would Dick take a step back and return to his former identity of Nightwing?

== TEASER ==

There's a lot that we don't know just yet. With the current set up of Batman, Incorporated, it makes sense that there would be more than one Batman. Batman's association with Wayne Enterprises makes it plausible that a Wayne Employee could even be under the cowl. What we do know is come September, there will be one Batman and that Batman will be Bruce Wayne.

Most characters take on an identity and stick with it. We have seen the sidekick characters graduate to a new name and costume. Wally West went from Kid Flash to Flash, Roy Harper went from Speedy to Arsenal to Red Arrow to Arsenal again, Donna Troy went from Wonder Girl to...whatever she's calling herself these days, etc. You don't often see a character revert back to their younger identity. While Nightwing more than proved himself as a hero and leader, he moved up on the superhero ladder to become Batman. Now he's going back.

It's been mentioned that Batman, Inc will be taking a hiatus until 2012 as the new relaunched (not reboot) titles come out. What could cause Dick to hang up the cowl?

One possibility is the dangers to Wayne Enterprise employees. It might be better if Batman separated himself from his close relationship with the company which puts them all at risk should any of Batman's crazed enemies want to get revenge. This could be the case but doesn't really call for there only being one Batman. We already know that Batwing, the Batman of Africa will still be operating.

What if Dick and Bruce had another falling out? This doesn't seem like a likely scenario. They have gone through so much and Bruce's death and journey through time has only strengthened his bond with his family. Operation side by side with Dick as Batman shows that he now considers Dick to be his equal.

The most likely reason is that Dick never really wanted to be Batman. He fought the idea during Battle for the Cowl and finally embraced the idea, knowing that Gotham City needed a Batman. In his early adventures as Batman, we saw the thrill he experienced. Batman never smiles but Dick couldn't help himself. Anyone would feel a rush fighting the bad guys dressed as the Dark Knight.

Why is Dick Grayson seeing red?

In Battle for the Cowl, Bruce's message stated that he didn't want Dick to be Batman. Bruce knew that Dick was his own man. When Nightwing #1 is released in September, Dick is said to be embracing his former mantle as Nightwing. We have seen incredible growth as Dick finally accepted the duty of being Batman, especially seen in Scott Snyder's Detective Comics issues. But Batman was never what Dick wanted to be, as fun and thrilling as the identity could be.

Is it a good idea for Dick to return to a version of his old costume? The lack of a cowl is risky. Wearing a little mask isn't the best disguise, especially now that Dick has been working with/for Batman, Inc at Wayne Enterprises. Dick has worked with Commissioner Gordon, handling things that would later be turned over to "Batman." Vicki Vale was able to put the pieces together and with today's technology and photo recognition, it would be a piece of cake for people to figure out what Nightwing's tiny mask was hiding.

Dick may be getting comfortable being Batman but he stated several times he wasn't used to having a cape. Even if the recent Detective Comics #877, Dick had to dive into Gotham Harbor and having a heavy bullet-proof cape doesn't seem like the best thing to swim with.

Even though I felt Dick was the best choice to replace Bruce as Batman, it just never felt right. I've been used to and have loved Dick as Nightwing. I do think it is the identity he should use and keep as he's worked so long in building it up. Giving up being Batman does feel like he's taking a step back but as long as Dick takes the experience he's gained an applies it to being an even better Nightwing, you won't hear any complaints from me.

Staff
#1 Posted by nobodythere (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Not happy about him returning to Nightwing, feels like a step backward for the character. Was nice to see him evolve.

#2 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

At least Dick gets his own book back, not to thrilled bout him being nightwing again but It should be good. Hopefully Kyle Higgins can really capture Dicks character.

#3 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah.. he should at least keep the cape :P

Seriously though, it does sound like a step-backwards...specially with the new costume looking like a less interesting pre-modern Nightwing..kinda like what he could have worn between the discoNightwing and the modern one while Arsenal was being all-90s/EXTREEEME!!

They better have a good explanation, story-wise.

Also, it seems since Batman Inc while still be running, that there will still be various Batmen around the world..just only one in America! (like for Africa...)

#4 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

In the new reboot re-whatever is going on, will Dick have been Batman?  Or in this redoing of everything will have have never been Batman?
Maybe he will reveal that he just can't take being Batman, the pressure and the grimness could be something he never expected being unable to handle.  And pretending to be someone else, Batman who he wanted to get out of his shadow so he became his own man (Nightwing), is not something he wants to do anymore.
Going back to being Nightwing doesn't have to be a step back if Dick trets it as a step forward, that being Nightwing is better since he created this persona and he has made a name for himself on
dick grayson history
his own.
This could be part of Dick's evolution as a character.
He started out as Robin, happy despite his tragedy, then he went on to be on Teen Titans as Robin and was sort of his own man a little,  he then became Nightwing and stepped out of Bruce's shadow.
When Bruce "died" Dick had to take over as Batman and pretend to be someone else.
Now that Bruce is back he can go back to being his own man as Nightwing again.
Maybe pretending to be Batman is more of a step back than going back to being Nightwing again.
What would be a real step back is him going back to being Robin.

He could say that pretending to be someone else, Batman, led him to find himself and become the hero he really is.  He was Batman and on the JLA, he must have learned some things about becoming a better hero.
Becoming Batman isn't necessarily the next step for Dick.  Becoming Batman isn't a step forward, its pretending to be someone else.  Alfred even told him, think of this as acting a part.
#5 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, I don't see this as a step back, not in the least. If he had become Robin again that's a step back. Dick in his Nightwing suit is the same character to me as in the cape and cowl. Dick was handling Bruce's city but in his way. When he was Nightwing in Bludhaven he was handling his on city in his own way. I would like to see him return to Bludhaven or branch out to a new location and use the experiences he's learned from being Batman in Gotham to fight crime there. As long as Dick continues to evolve as a man and human being I'm fine with him being Nightwing. What better way to move him from beneath Bruce's long shadow and get naysayers who wouldn't accept him as Batman to wise up and appreciate him? I think we all knew from the moment he took up the mantel that Bruce would be back for it. And even when there were two Batmen I knew that that wasn't going to be the status quo very long. Dick was a great Batman, now it's time for him to be an even better Nightwing than he was before. 

#6 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

How they handle this in the story is going to determine if it's good or bad.   Dick is best as Nightwing, but getting him to stop being Batman is tricky.  If they portray it the wrong way it will do the character an injustice.  I hope it's something along the lines of him being his own man, or having more freedom in his own persona.  and not something like"being Batman is too hard, I can't do it".

#7 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I prefer Dick as Nightwing rather than Batman (althought I admit he's one of the few that can fill Bruce's shoes) but this new reset doesn't thrill me much and the costume really doesn't look so good.

#8 Posted by leokearon (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

Hurray another step backwards by DC, why don't they just make him Robin again. 

Also is it just me or does DIck's new look remind anyone else of Batman Beyond
#9 Edited by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I had no problem Dick being Batman. It mostly depended on who was writing the stories, and I think Scott Synder and Grant Morrison nailed his character. Now that he's going back to Nightwing, I don't really see it as a step back. How I feel about him being Nightwing again is the same way I felt when he went back to being Nightwing after Bruce wanted to be Batman again after the whole Bane breaking his back. The only problem I really have with it is his costume. I just think blue and black is better imo. Besides the red reminding me of his days as, "Renegade", it makes him seem darker. Plus, Tim Drake's new *cough* Falcon *cough* costume is red and he's going by Red Robin.

#10 Posted by DiscoNightwing (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited to see Dick go back to Nightwing, I always thought picking up the Batman mantle was the step back. You don't get to the big league by putting on someone else's mask you kick ass and get there on your own, it's how Batman and Superman did it, and now it's how Nightwing's gunna do it. I hope they don't make him all dark and brooding like the cover looks. The red suit could be cool, anyone else picking up a Batman beyond vibe? I  wonder if they'll play on that.
#11 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13269 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini said:
You know, I don't see this as a step back, not in the least. If he had become Robin again that's a step back. Dick in his Nightwing suit is the same character to me as in the cape and cowl. Dick was handling Bruce's city but in his way. When he was Nightwing in Bludhaven he was handling his on city in his own way. I would like to see him return to Bludhaven or branch out to a new location and use the experiences he's learned from being Batman in Gotham to fight crime there. As long as Dick continues to evolve as a man and human being I'm fine with him being Nightwing. What better way to move him from beneath Bruce's long shadow and get naysayers who wouldn't accept him as Batman to wise up and appreciate him? I think we all knew from the moment he took up the mantel that Bruce would be back for it. And even when there were two Batmen I knew that that wasn't going to be the status quo very long. Dick was a great Batman, now it's time for him to be an even better Nightwing than he was before. 

QFUT
#12 Posted by niamahai (39 posts) - - Show Bio

i think they should change his hairstyle cause he and Tim/Jason look too much alike..

also i think we should start calling him Richard so its easy for an movie adaption.

#13 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has mentioned that a few of the characters will be "tweaked."  It is entirely possible that in after the reboot Dick will have never been Batman.  I started reading Nightwing though and I am comfortable with him going back to that character though.  And needless to say I really do like the Red/Black costume he is rocking in the new series, although I was always a fan of the Black/Blue 

#14 Posted by NightFang (10078 posts) - - Show Bio

I always preferred Dick as Nightwing and hopefully the new series will show his just as good as Bruce without needing to be Batman.

#15 Posted by Norusdog (203 posts) - - Show Bio
@nobodythere: what's the difference other then costume?

because he's not based in the bat cave?

Dick being batman or nightwing is practically the same thing.  And more then one batman is stupid.  more then one vigilante fighting crime isn't.

He's better as Nightwing as long as Bruce is Batman in any shape or form.
#16 Edited by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArtisticNeedham said:

In the new reboot re-whatever is going on, will Dick have been Batman?  Or in this redoing of everything will have have never been Batman?
Maybe he will reveal that he just can't take being Batman, the pressure and the grimness could be something he never expected being unable to handle.  And pretending to be someone else, Batman who he wanted to get out of his shadow so he became his own man (Nightwing), is not something he wants to do anymore.
Going back to being Nightwing doesn't have to be a step back if Dick trets it as a step forward, that being Nightwing is better since he created this persona and he has made a name for himself on
his own. This could be part of Dick's evolution as a character. He started out as Robin, happy despite his tragedy, then he went on to be on Teen Titans as Robin and was sort of his own man a little,  he then became Nightwing and stepped out of Bruce's shadow. When Bruce "died" Dick had to take over as Batman and pretend to be someone else. Now that Bruce is back he can go back to being his own man as Nightwing again. Maybe pretending to be Batman is more of a step back than going back to being Nightwing again. What would be a real step back is him going back to being Robin.  He could say that pretending to be someone else, Batman, led him to find himself and become the hero he really is.  He was Batman and on the JLA, he must have learned some things about becoming a better hero. Becoming Batman isn't necessarily the next step for Dick.  Becoming Batman isn't a step forward, its pretending to be someone else.  Alfred even told him, think of this as acting a part.

Technically he didn't create the persona, he took the name of a kryptonian hero after Superman told him the story of a man who was cast out of his family,  and strove to show them he was better.  So, he popularized the name, but it's still not a name that hasn't been used.  And he created it by drawing on his three biggest inspirations the Nightwing name from Superman, his training and skills from batman and the costume from his father, so not exactly on his own.

He's led the JLA in the past, so leading the team wasn't exactly a new experience. 

Well, Dick should be the next Batman in the Batman Dynasty that lasts until the the 853rd century, and Bruce did mention back during Gotham Knights that Dick was the one who would carry on his legacy, should anything happen to him.

But personally I do see it as a step back in Grayson's character,Whenever I read Dick as a character it's noteworthy in that he's a constantly evolving character, from Robin to Nightwing into Batman, going back just establishes Nightwing as the go between from Robin to Batman mantle. And after seeing Grayson lead the likes of Green Lantern and other members of the JLA it feels like a step back for him when he inevitably is back to leading the group of Titans or Outsiders. But, two Batmen were confusing to the casual reader, and with Batgirl back I'm looking forward to a good Nightwing and Batgirl team up, as now the two can be partners versus her being forced into a sidekick role.
#17 Posted by The_Tree (7525 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs to stay with the Nightwing guise, and go back to wearing blue.

#18 Posted by rouder (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@GraveSp: If you read what is Batman #713 about, you can tell that him being Batman won't be put out of continuity, he will simply let the cowl go and IMO, it is a pity that the last issue with Dick as Batman is not being done by Snyder nor Morrison
#19 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

The only comic I ever read with Dick were when he was Batman and that what he deserves to be, not Nightwing.

#20 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a big fan of the red on his costume. He looks more evil in that cover. The blue is way better if you ask me

#21 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I am very disappointed because of this move. The charecter has developed and changed so much and I feel all for the better. This move is seriously putting him back. It is say. 

Do we know if he will be letting go of his role as Bats as part of the continuity or it will be a fresh continuity where he never was Batman? 

I think it would be easier to swallow him letting it go.
#22 Posted by TDK_1997 (14900 posts) - - Show Bio

I like himmore with the Nightwing mentle but this isn't good for him.He was Batman and now he will be Nightwing again.So high and now again low.
#23 Edited by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

The more I thought about i, the more I became obsessed with a new idea for Dick. Instead of completely abandoning the Batman Mantle, he should pay homage to Bruce by wearing a prototype version of the Beyond Suit. He doesn't need the rocket boots or the cybernetic underarmor Terry does in the future, just the armgliders and like Tony pointed out, the batcowl to cover his face(same one Cassandra Cain/Terry uses). The Emblem could still be his own, doesn't have to be a bat but if you take off the cape it's totally him. It could serve as a tie in to the beyond continuity and establish himself as a new power player in Gotham/Bludhaven. He doesn't have to drop the Nightwing alias, either.
#24 Edited by DomDom (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's a step back at all for him.  After all Dick Grayson is defined as Dick Grayson! 
Whether he's the fun little Boy Wonder, dashing independent Nightwing, or smiling Batman...all of those masks didn't make him the hero...Grayson underneath was always the hero.  The suits were just steps of his grouth and experience, but going back to Nightwing isn't going to change what he learned as Batman or Robin or Nightwing again... 

He can at least be himself again, and not have to question his identity. 
+ no cape!  (He never really digged the cape.  He's an acrobat after all.) =) 

I say YAY!  I'll read about Grayson under any disguise!  
#25 Posted by Radread (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick was a great Batman but it is true as the message was stated in the last 2 years. Dick was being Batman for Gotham, not for himself. He mentored Daimian, got Tim back on the right track and help keep the Justice League together. He proved himself to be a leader and a teacher, which is who Dick is. Going back to being Nightwing seems the most organic in my opinion, it's who he is.
#26 Posted by BlackPookie (640 posts) - - Show Bio

let him go! its ok, ive always wanted bruce to have the cape and cowl... and i was kinda missing him, cause he only show up on dark knight and batman inc stuff,,,, 
but u know what... it was ok... 
by now it all looks like everything is goin crazy and i just dont want any more crappy Batman events to take place! but we never know... 
it seems all my wishes come true... by september... im gonna see bruce in almost all batman covers...
#27 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to seeing him as Nightwing again.  Dick as Batman was a good experience though, and I'm glad they tried that out for a while. 

I don't believe that Dick's tiny mask has any deficiency in hiding his identity in a universe where a man can hide his identity by removing a curl in the hair, wearing baggy pants, and slouching.

#28 Posted by Moonleming (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I wrestled with this a bit but in the end my real issue with Dick no longer being Batman is that I really liked his relationship with Damian.  Damian has inherent parental issues.  But Dick was the big brother he needed. Needed being the operative word here.  I wouldn't mind reading Nightwing and Robin.

#29 Posted by G-Man (35019 posts) - - Show Bio

@GraveSp said:

DC has mentioned that a few of the characters will be "tweaked." It is entirely possible that in after the reboot Dick will have never been Batman. I started reading Nightwing though and I am comfortable with him going back to that character though. And needless to say I really do like the Red/Black costume he is rocking in the new series, although I was always a fan of the Black/Blue

His time as Batman won't be erased. Here's the official text in the Nightwing #1 announcement from DC:

After a tenure as the Batman of Gotham, Dick Grayson resumes his mantle as Nightwing! As Dick embraces his identity, Haley’s Circus, the big top where he once performed with his family, returns to Gotham - bringing with it a history of murder, mystery and superhuman evil. Nightwing must confront friends and enemies from his past as he searches for the source of an even greater evil.

NIGHTWING will be written by Kyle Higgins with art duties handled by fan-favorite Eddy Barrows.
Staff
#30 Posted by Samimista (20750 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe he decided to go back to Nightwing because that's his own identity he's grown with but as for the definite answer to your question is yet to be discovered.

#31 Posted by hitechlolife (194 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes sense that Nightwing returns. DC seem to be keen on rolling with as many of their iconic characters as possible come September, Nightwing deserves a place at the table. That said the red is a bad look. Red Robin and Batwoman already use the same colour scheme and the blue looked great.

#32 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like the only way Dick can go back to Nightwing is if hes grown out of his Batman persona. Or if he felt somehow attached to his Nightwing persona. 
I would have loved to see a comic featuring Dick, Tim, and Damian. I really love their brotherly dynamic weve been seeing a lot.

#33 Posted by RedHood_DCU (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Im actually diggin' the red, he's been wearing blue forever now. Time to change it up for awhile.

#34 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm very bitter about this!

#35 Edited by Misterwizz (200 posts) - - Show Bio

I think  they'll simply say he was never batman, and ignore the past events, with the because we can routine.

#36 Posted by atdt (48 posts) - - Show Bio

looks cool in red. great 2 see him as Nightwing.

#37 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson is Nightwing again due to something Bruce Wayne once told him:

"I'm the Goddamn Batman!"

#38 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

I very much enjoyed the fun personality he brought to the mantle and the dynamic he had with Damian. I'm gonna miss it.

#39 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel sorry for Dick.  He really didn't deserve a step 'backwards'.  And I really don't like the red.  Red is Tim & Jason's thing.  Blue set him apart, especially as they're now all Grayson clones; Causasian males with short dark hair and all the same age now :p
#40 Posted by nadral (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think being Nightwing again is really a step back in this case. I think that Dick just really needs to be his own man. He created Nightwing, and even as Batman, he was just filling a role of the icon. Him going back to Nightwing is just what naturally happens now that Bruce is back.It's better that he's THE Nightwing rather than being another Bat. Unless you want Bruce to go be Nightwing. That isn't ever going to happen, but I do think it'd be interesting to see if Bruce could build another identity in modern Gotham.

#41 Posted by punisher1313 (46 posts) - - Show Bio
@DiscoNightwing said:
I'm excited to see Dick go back to Nightwing, I always thought picking up the Batman mantle was the step back. You don't get to the big league by putting on someone else's mask you kick ass and get there on your own, it's how Batman and Superman did it, and now it's how Nightwing's gunna do it. I hope they don't make him all dark and brooding like the cover looks. The red suit could be cool, anyone else picking up a Batman beyond vibe? I  wonder if they'll play on that.
Exactly!
#42 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

he has the best butt in all of dc

#43 Posted by kev17 (332 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks god!!!!

#44 Posted by johnnie619 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtisticNeedham
well they keep saying reboot so im thinking that they will say he never became batman

#45 Posted by bringdeath (270 posts) - - Show Bio

The reboot of the universe made him give up being batman :p
#46 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick was a good Batman, but unfortunately he's just not Bruce.  Bruce is really the only one in my opinion that can be Batman, at least in current settings.  Maybe its just time for Dick to have come full circle and let go of the tradition he embraced with the conclusion of Battle for the Cowl and go back to being who he was best at, because in my opinion he was a far better Nightwing than Batman.

#47 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is why they made the color change on the costume. They didn't want him to go back to an old costume, even if he was going back to an old name. I liked him as Batman but this was inevitable. I like him as Nightwing too.

#48 Edited by CrimsonInuTears (465 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm all for Dick goin back to bein Nightwing, it really is him. But I just can't believe after a year of thinkin "I just can't see him as Batman," I can't believe my first reaction to this was "I'm gonna miss him as Batman."

Not a fan of the red though. Yes, well aware he wore it for a time. But it didn' work then, doesn' work now. Too Robin-reminiscent. 

#49 Posted by Billdevil (433 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the red. It gives a nod to his history and shows he's grown enough to be comfortable with it. However I do miss the Elvis  collar 

#50 Posted by Batmarcus (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Dick going back to Nightwing and the new costume Dick being Batman always did not feel right to me because that is Bruce's role and it felt like he was just a stand in until Bruce came back.  
So Dick as Nightwing again is fine by me. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.