Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Nightwing Issue 0

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LuigiBat

Was on Twitter earlier and saw someone had asked Kyle Higgins about what would be covered in Issue 0 of Nightwing. Higgins said that the issue would cover Dick's shift from being a circus kid to becoming Robin and would not touch on his transition from Robin to Nightwing. Slightly disappointing news really, given that the previous issues in the series have chronicled his transition from circus kid to Robin well enough for even new readers to understand.

However, I did ask Higgins if he would cover the transition from Robin to Nightwing in future issues. His response was (and I quote) "I really want to".

Am I the only one who finds it a little strange how they're planning to cover the origins of Grayson becoming a member of the Bat-family without touching on how he became Nightwing? Particularly given that the issue will be published under the Nightwing name.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By graysonofgotham

Dude that is too funny, bro. I am @tothemat. I asked the circus kid question.

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By graysonofgotham

It don't mind this being Higgins take on Robin's origin always time to do a new 52 Nightwing origin later. I hope this means he's going to take his time and tell a good story no rushing it. I love Kyle Higgins books so I trust it will be great.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

Tim Drake was never Robin.

Dick Grayson became an orphan at 16

...Sigh...

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By graysonofgotham

Grayson @ 16 was DC's call as for Drake I dont know what the hells going on there.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@richardjohngrayson: I know it was DC's call, that doesn't mean I have to like it. He could easily have gone under Batman before the 5 Year thing.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheAnnihilator

Why couldn't they have just explained all these things from the beginning? Or made a decent plan from the start?

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By graysonofgotham

@ReVamp said:

@richardjohngrayson: I know it was DC's call, that doesn't mean I have to like it. He could easily have gone under Batman before the 5 Year thing.

No bro. I didn't mean it was a good call I just meant I think Drake was a Scott Lobdell which stinks on ice.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

@ReVamp said:

...Sigh...

Lost faith in everything batman from that one post.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReVamp

@TheAnnihilator said:

Why couldn't they have just explained all these things from the beginning? Or made a decent plan from the start?

I've recently just awoken and realized its been a couple of lies, which would explain why. But I don't want to promote that school of thought.

@richardjohngrayson said:

@ReVamp said:

No bro. I didn't mean it was a good call I just meant I think Drake was a Scott Lobdell which stinks on ice.

I think Lobdell didn't decide to make him just Red Robin, but he was the one who decided to make him an olympic athlete.

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@ReVamp said:

...Sigh...

Sorry to bring you down with me, Broski.

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By graysonofgotham

@ReVamp said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

I've recently just awoken and realized its been a couple of lies, which would explain why. But I don't want to promote that school of thought.

@ReVamp said:

I think Lobdell didn't decide to make him just Red Robin, but he was the one who decided to make him an olympic athlete.

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@ReVamp said:

...Sigh...

Sorry to bring you down with me, Broski.

olympic athlete? I don't read TT please explain if you don't mind.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheAnnihilator
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReVamp

Well, its bee announced that for the TT issue 0, Tim's going to get a "new" origin. ot much is really known about it (at least that I've heard), but he's going to be an olympic athlete and I think an expert computer hacker. A little hazy on the last part, so it might be slightly messed up.

@TheAnnihilator said:

@ReVamp: The thing about the DC New 52 continuity is that:

That's it in a single hyperbole. I mean, there is a continuity in the Batman and GL universes, its just that it being altered where they said they wouldn't...

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@ReVamp: Yeah, Green Lantern is it, really. Batman's is being hurt as we can see, but neither of them make any sense in the New 52 continuity. It's just a bunch of ideas thrown together that really don't work out in the end.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@TheAnnihilator said:

@ReVamp: Yeah, Green Lantern is it, really. Batman's is being hurt as we can see, but neither of them make any sense in the New 52 continuity. It's just a bunch of ideas thrown together that really don't work out in the end.

And its really kinda sad...

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By graysonofgotham

@ReVamp said:

Well, its bee announced that for the TT issue 0, Tim's going to get a "new" origin. ot much is really known about it (at least that I've heard), but he's going to be an olympic athlete and I think an expert computer hacker. A little hazy on the last part, so it might be slightly messed up.

@TheAnnihilator said:

@ReVamp: The thing about the DC New 52 continuity is that:

That's it in a single hyperbole. I mean, there is a continuity in the Batman and GL universes, its just that it being altered where they said they wouldn't...

Jeez I'm glad I am Grayson fan and not a Drake fan this sucks. Weird thing is he is doing ok by Jason Todd so far.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@ReVamp said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

And its really kinda sad...

Very sad.

I could retype all this stuff in a way that makes it better for this thread, but here's my big problems. Copy and pasted from a Teen Titans thread.

Reboots are the easy way out of a problem, but they tried to please old fans too and keep the history of the Green Lanterns and the Bat-family in tact (sorta). Problem is they don't fit in with the new parameters establish. Especially Nightwing, Arsenal (is he Red Arrow right now? I don't read the Outlaws), and Starfire. I guess Wally, Tempest, and Donna Troy never existed at all.

I get that they wanted to avoid having to retell all the stories that lead to them where they are now, but they should have looked at these problems right away. These are huge continuity issues and could have easily been handled. They could have released some one-shots or something telling what happened, or just cleared it up within the ongoings.

Or they could have done Titans with the older characters and Young Justice with the younger ones, like I say all the time. Both of these books would have sold and they had books they knew were going to fail.

And even besides all these continuity issues, the new Teen Titans run is horrible. I can't stand it. It is just so bad.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Maybe they will try to show the tranistion of Robin to Nightwing in another story arc. That would be cool

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By BatteredArmor

@ReVamp said:

@ReVamp said:

Which was a stupid decision

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ReVamp

@richardjohngrayson: I'm going to be honest, I really like what Lobdell is doing. Out of his three books, Titans is the only one that he's not doing right by, quite sincerely.

@TheAnnihilator: He's Arsenal. I'm going to be pissed if they retcon Wolfman's Titans. Real pissed.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ReVamp

@BlackArmor said:

Indeed it was and it pisses me off as well, BUT him being solely Red Robin is on a completely different level.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@ReVamp: As far as I can tell his run never happened. They made the Teen Titans like bad 90's X-Men. Ravagers makes that more evident.

I don't hate Lobdell, Superboy is decent, but I really dislike what he's done on Titans.

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hunter5024

I think maybe he plans to cover a Robin to Nightwing transition in more depth later and so he's choosing not to go over it in this 1 issue.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By BatteredArmor

@ReVamp said:

@BlackArmor said:

Indeed it was and it pisses me off as well, BUT him being solely Red Robin is on a completely different level.

I refuse to even accept the not being Robin thing as cannon, it's all just some weird fervor dream Lobdell had after eating some bad sushi or something and when he wakes up everything will be normal again.....it has to be

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By graysonofgotham

@ReVamp: Vamp...I believe Wolfman's run is already said to be retconed.

at the Young Justice panel from SDCC Lobdell said:

If Red Robin just started the Teen Titans, how is the flashback with Nightwing explained? "It doesn't show the Teen Titans, it shows people who used to be on Teen Titans hanging out together. There was no reference to Teen Titans. My feeling is that in the DC New 52, yes, these characters have crossed paths before, but there was no previous version of the Teen Titans. That group you saw in flashback was there, but they were not 'Teen Titans.'" Lobdell says that originally there was going to be more history with the Teen Titans, but plans changed along the way, and might change again.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ReVamp

@TheAnnihilator said:

@ReVamp: As far as I can tell his run never happened. They made the Teen Titans like bad 90's X-Men. Ravagers makes that more evident.

@ReVamp: Vamp...I believe Wolfman's run is already said to be retconed.

at the Young Justice panel from SDCC

If Red Robin just started the Teen Titans, how is the flashback with Nightwing explained? "It doesn't show the Teen Titans, it shows people who used to be on Teen Titans hanging out together. There was no reference to Teen Titans. My feeling is that in the DC New 52, yes, these characters have crossed paths before, but there was no previous version of the Teen Titans. That group you saw in flashback was there, but they were not 'Teen Titans.'" Lobdell says that originally there was going to be more history with the Teen Titans, but plans changed along the way, and might change again.

Yeah. But to me, I don't care what they were called. I want the history. They ca be retconned to be called the Outsiders for all I care. And yes, I realize its porbably not going to happen, but I have hope okay?! Lol.

I don't hate Lobdell, Superboy is decent, but I really dislike what he's done on Titans.

I think his Titans is meh and Superboy is good.

@BlackArmor said:

@ReVamp said:

@BlackArmor said:

I refuse to even accept the not being Robin thing as cannon, it's all just some weird fervor dream Lobdell had after eating some bad sushi or something and when he wakes up everything will be normal again.....it has to be

I'm with you, give me some of that rotten sushi too.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmoothJammin

This is all one big clusterf*ck. As a fan I'd be pleased to see Nightwing's origins in zero issue, just not if it means more editorial garbage crammed into one comic. If Kyle is going to cover it thoroughly it's something worth giving him time to tell. I'm willing to wait, too many things are happening too fast.. maybe it's okay if we don't have all the answers from the get.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By z3ro180

@ReVamp:im sure tim drake was robin

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Why is everyone moaning about Drake? I was under the impression he was still Batmans sidekick but he was just never called Robin

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By graysonofgotham

@Jonny_Anonymous him not being Robin is a very big deal. It changes a lot of key Batman storys. Also he was the Robin most of us grew up with. I'm a hardcore Grayson fan and this still bums me out.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#31  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I wanted to see Robin to Nightwing and circus boy to robin

Romulus9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Romulus9000

@ReVamp said:

...Sigh...

Hahahaha, when was the last time DC did EVERYTHING right, eh?

Also i can not stand what they are doing to Roy.

FINALLY he became red arrow and then they tore it all to pieces. I haven't read red hood since issue 6.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LuigiBat

Dude that is too funny, bro. I am @tothemat. I asked the circus kid question.

Really?

Thats not the first time something like this has happened to me. I got retweeted by a football (soccer) commentator and a guy I know on another forum then posted about said comment without realising it was me.

(P.S. You are now being followed by me).

(P.P.S, haven't been able to post for a couple of days due to flood control, hence the late response)

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By graysonofgotham

lol small world, dude. I am following you as well.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By X35

@ReVamp said:

WHAT.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By fodigg

I hate to say it, but the teen titans/robins mess is the most inconsistent mess of post-flashpoint continuity. If they were going to crap on the middle Robins, they shoulda just cut them and only had Dick and Damian.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By fodigg

@X35 said:

@ReVamp said:

WHAT.

Apparently he never called himself Robin. He started with calling himself "Red Robin", which is dim-witted, but everything we've seen says that he still "counts" as a Robin to Bruce and the other Robins.

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By graysonofgotham

@fodigg I agree. I wouldn't want them to cut Tim but sometimes I think it should of just been a full reboot and had Dick be Robin. Trying to have their cake and eat it to has made a big mess.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SmoothJammin

If Tim wasn't Robin then how does the photo of Batman and himself exist?? Or in Batman issue 1 stating his former status as Robin~

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SmoothJammin said:

If Tim wasn't Robin then how does the photo of Batman and himself exist?? Or in Batman issue 1 stating his former status as Robin~

You seen any of Lobdell's explanations for these yet? LOL they're a real trip.

http://www.comicvine.com/news/interview-scott-lobdell-on-superboy-jason-todd-and-tim-drake-not-being-robin/145050/

I appreciate them not wanting to have to go through all the stories again, but DC needs to admit they've screwed up with the Bat Family. Putting Tim aside, Bruce and Dick are sloppy as hell. There's no possible way all of their past adventures still happened. No way on God's green Earth. The simple and intelligent thing to do was for them to release some one shots all across the board (Specifically in terms of the Bat and Arrow family) and explain what adventures were still canon. They had more than enough time to plan all of this out before and during Flashpoint. Instead, they did nothing of the kind and have apparently just decided to decide as they go, and then make contradictory statements later.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By Funrush

I'm assuming the fact that it's only going through the Robin origin is because there's not enough room to fit in the whole Nightwing stuff, and that they can't do more than one zero issue. Besides, if they do do a Nightwing origin thing, I don't think 20 pages would be enough development for the tension that builds between Dick and Batman and... wait... no New Teen Titans in the N52. :`( I would prefer a Nightwing origin story to be 2-4 issues, starting with Dick and Bruce's first fight that led up to the split and ending with Dick wearing the Nightwing costume.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Funrush said:

I'm assuming the fact that it's only going through the Robin origin is because there's not enough room to fit in the whole Nightwing stuff, and that they can't do more than one zero issue. Besides, if they do do a Nightwing origin thing, I don't think 20 pages would be enough development for the tension that builds between Dick and Batman and... wait... no New Teen Titans in the N52. :`( I would prefer a Nightwing origin story to be 2-4 issues, starting with Dick and Bruce's first fight that led up to the split and ending with Dick wearing the Nightwing costume.

With the whole New 52 and the lack of the Teen Titans (Specifically the New Teen Titans) i've been wondering if there was any tension or fight at all that led to Dick leaving. Or if Bruce still fired him. They might've reverted to something similar to the Pre-Crisis era where Dick chose to pass the Robin mantle onto Jason and Bruce and Dick parted on good terms.

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By graysonofgotham

With such a condensed timeline and no Teen Titans I tend to think Dick may've just passed the torch because he out grew the red and green. Just my two cents.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LuigiBat

With such a condensed timeline and no Teen Titans I tend to think Dick may've just passed the torch because he out grew the red and green. Just my two cents.

I dunno, there still seems to be a bit of tension between Dick and Bruce which makes me think there is more to it than Dick simply passing on the torch to Jason. The condensed timeline once again rears its ugly head in scenarios such as this. It means we'll probably have to settle for some bodged together explanation (though I trust Higgins to do a good job of it) of why Dick became Nightwing which doesn't really have any worthwhile impact in the long run. I personally always liked the idea of there being tension between Bruce and Dick, it made things interesting because although Bruce knew Dick was his greatest soldier he would rarely ever call upon him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.