Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9430 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Nightwing #0 discussion

Nightwingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nightwingdg

Interested to see what everyone thought about the issue.

As a longtime Nightwing/DickGrayson fan I absolutely loved it.

Spoiler:

Did anyone else get the feeling that Dick Grayson as Robin had a better chance against Lady Shiva than Batman? She pretty much makes a mockery of Batman then tells Dick that he has more potential than Batman could know what to do with.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

@Nightwingdg: Not only that at least someone show some Dick Grayson detective skills and intellect!

the issue was awesome.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

the only thing I'm not completely sold on was Dick's Robin costume....not sure how I feel about it's design

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4  Edited By wessaari

@danhimself: i defnitely prefer it over the underwear and pixie boots. I personally loved it, but i can see where people will dislike it.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

@wessaari: oh it's definitely an improvement over the original suit but....I don't know...I can't really describe what I didn't like about it

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

I liked how his Robin costume had a "W" on it

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Squalleon

@wessaari said:

@danhimself: i defnitely prefer it over the underwear and pixie boots. I personally loved it, but i can see where people will dislike it.

this

they try to make it modern and classic.I personally liked it,because it has a feel of Nightwing in it.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@Nightwingdg: I think Dick stood more of a chance because he is more agile. Shiva's fighting style and variety of weapons (hair) would require more dodges than hit absorbing. This puts the ball in Dick's court as he is the most agile person around.

@danhimself: I feel the same way. He did mention that the suit isn't finished though, and it did have a very prototype feel to it. I like that the shorts are gone now. It's one thing about the character that I wouldn't mind leaving in the past.

lilcraig92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lilcraig92

His parents died when he was 15, so when did he become robin? at the age 15 or 16.

Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Haaydrian

@lilcraig92 said:

His parents died when he was 15, so when did he become robin? at the age 15 or 16.

Yeah he was taken in at the age of 16. I don't know when he'd have been a Robin, but I'd assume a couple of months after that, so still within the same age.

lilcraig92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lilcraig92

@Haaydrian: But his parents died at 15 doe.

Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Haaydrian

I'm digging the way this is going to be honest. I like Grayson and the fact that he's been made to show to have some natural talent in a more explicit way than he had before i.e. the body language reading, appeals to me. Obviously it seems that he's going to be ripping a bit off Shiva and she's going to be teaching him how to read the people's moves, because that's her shtick and I'm guessing that its going to be develop for a trait that he inherits.

. @Nightwingdg said:

Did anyone else get the feeling that Dick Grayson as Robin had a better chance against Lady Shiva than Batman? She pretty much makes a mockery of Batman then tells Dick that he has more potential than Batman could know what to do with.

And for the record, Batman was poisoned, he wasn't just beaten by Lady Shiva. She didn't on the other hand poison Grayson and pretty much played with him all along. She said he had potential, but no that fight isn't a legit "feat" in any manner of speaking. Not implying that you were saying this to be the case, but I know its bound to come up at some point in this thread/site.

Dajam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dajam22
    I like the costume i just don't like the lack of those rectangle things he used to have.
    I like the costume i just don't like the lack of those rectangle things he used to have.
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmoothJammin

I'm glad the artist implemented the capsule utility belt from Earth 2's robin design instead of going with the typical bulky, free-flowing one. It's exactly the one I've been clamoring for in Nightwing. I wish it would carry over to his adult costume. and have it emulate Terry Mcginnis' belt. It's almost like they channeled Cassandra Cain through Dick too. Reading motion and body language.

It's odd at first, but it works for his character when you think about it. Timing thread ftw

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Nightwingdg: I know I'm reaching here, but you do think what she sees differently in Dick is his ability to overcome? I'm beginning to think what the writers are getting at is Bruce has this severe case of OCD when it comes to avenging his parents. Batman's intense concentration on vengeance overrides other mechanical functions in his body & mind and it limits him. That's what ocd does, you give in to a ritual or compulsions, in Bruce's case fighting crime.. and the longer you commit to it the stronger the disorder becomes. Since Dick in many ways represents a mirror image of Bruce albeit a good one his potential is leagues beyond where Bruce's could be.

n1ghtw1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By n1ghtw1ng

i think it was cool how they changed his origin and the new robin costume looks pretty legit.

I JUST CANT WAIT 4 NIGHTWING #13

Nightwingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Nightwingdg

@Haaydrian: @SmoothJammin: Potential, potential, potential! What do most people associate with Dick's Skill? He's good cause he has been trained by Batman. Lady Shiva flat out tells him Batman is holding him back.

I was thinking...

If Nightwing has this natural ability to read people's movements, could Nightwing hone his skills with Lady Shiva to copy movements like Task Master/Echo?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By John Valentine

@Dajam22 said:

Love the costume. Favourite Robin costume.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Mercy_

Best comic issue I've read in a long time!

fullmetalquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fullmetalquach

amazing costume and an amazing issue, i love how the writer firmly established the difference between Dick and Bruce and how Dick's thoughts showed the reader that he knew he would go his separate way eventually, very welln

lilcraig92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lilcraig92

They didnt catch Tony Succo in this issue or they just didn show it

Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Haaydrian

@Nightwingdg: That's farfetched bro.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dajam22 said:

My new favorite costume for Robin. Or 2nd favorite. The Adult Earth 2 Robin will always have the best one in my mind.

No Caption Provided

This New 52 one's a very close 2nd however and I like it. I'll never knock the pixie boots or short pants. They were an important part of the character's history, but i'm glad to see this more modern look for the present day. Looks really nice and practical. I also love how it stands out from the images we've seen of Jason and Tim's part costumes. However, I have to wonder if the short pants are completely gone. Over in Red Hood Kori showed Jason some of Dick's past costumes and the short pants were definitely among them.

No Caption Provided

It's whatever though lol new suit looks awesome. That's the important thing.

I am definitely not the biggest fan of the New 52, especially in terms of the Bat Family (And we all know why) but if they're going to change things they may as well be consistent about it. Post-Crisis (Nightwing Year One) Dick told Superman that he always thought he'd go on being Robin forever, and that eventually he'd become Batman. Here Post-Flashpoint, Dick is older when he starts out. He already has his own thoughts and ideas. His personality is set, so it makes perfect sense for him to know that he and Batman are going to part ways eventually. That Batman isn't what he wants from his life.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VampireSelektor

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

@Dajam22 said:

My new favorite costume for Robin. Or 2nd favorite. The Adult Earth 2 Robin will always have the best one in my mind.

No Caption Provided

This New 52 one's a very close 2nd however and I like it. I'll never knock the pixie boots or short pants. They were an important part of the character's history, but i'm glad to see this more modern look for the present day. Looks really nice and practical. I also love how it stands out from the images we've seen of Jason and Tim's part costumes. However, I have to wonder if the short pants are completely gone. Over in Red Hood Kori showed Jason some of Dick's past costumes and the short pants were definitely among them.

No Caption Provided

It's whatever though lol new suit looks awesome. That's the important thing.

I am definitely not the biggest fan of the New 52, especially in terms of the Bat Family (And we all know why) but if they're going to change things they may as well be consistent about it. Post-Crisis (Nightwing Year One) Dick told Superman that he always thought he'd go on being Robin forever, and that eventually he'd become Batman. Here Post-Flashpoint, Dick is older when he starts out. He already has his own thoughts and ideas. His personality is set, so it makes perfect sense for him to know that he and Batman are going to part ways eventually. That Batman isn't what he wants from his life.

This revelation reminds me of Young Justice's Dick Grayson.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TDK_1997

The issue was great and had really interesting stuff in.The design of the costume was great and I loved it.

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By britsera

I'm just so happy NW is such a solid book. I mean, have we had a bad issue?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By Deranged Midget

Dick held his own for a decent amount of time against Shiva but Bruce was taken by surprise and poisoned so I don't think he necessarily did better.

I hated how Dick was drawn in this issue though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Lvenger

Come on Dick does not stand a better chance against Shiva than Batman. Shiva poisoned Batman before the fight. If anything that suggests Shiva is scared of taking on Batman in a head on fair fight. Dick may be more agile but Bruce has mastered far more styles than Dick. I'd love to see a fair Shiva vs Batman rematch though.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Lvenger: I don't think anyone really believes that Dick is a better fighter than Bruce in any regard. But yes, Bruce was disposed quickly because of Shiva's surprise attack and the fact that he was poisoned.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lvenger

@Deranged Midget: Some people seem to think Dick has a better chance against Shiva than Bruce does for some reason though. That I don't get.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Lvenger: Well that's entirely untrue. Bruce didn't even have a chance to fight her as she quickly poisoned him. Dick dodged a few of her attacks but was put down in fewer.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lvenger

@Deranged Midget: True but what I think they're going in is Shiva's comments about Dick being fluid and graceful but being limited under Batman's tutelage. I think they mean in future fights.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Lvenger: Perhaps, but we already know how Dick is in current events and he's done nothing to prove superiority over Bruce. Only time will tell though.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#34  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I liked the Issue 7.5/10.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.