new 52 Nightwing Respect Thread

#151 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio
In this short scuffle, Manages to hold his own against Owlman but is weaken due to being captured.(Justice League 25)

Cleverly outpaces Marrionette, Showcasing excellent Detective Prowess (Nightwing 26)
Outpace Marrionette a second time. (Nightwing 26)
Shows great accuracy in aiming for one of the straps on Marionette to strip her off of what she stolen.(Nightwing 26)

#152 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayaaerow: I was about to post it...have you see my new respect thread? Katana?

#153 Edited by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

I was genuinely surprised to see Dick do that well against Owlman, figuring the latter would've outright wrecked him since Dick's been through a pretty heavy beating.

#154 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21 said:

@jayaaerow: I was about to post it...have you see my new respect thread? Katana?

Haven't. Should I give it a looksie?

@alak said:

I was genuinely surprised to see Dick do that well against Owlman, figuring the latter would've outright wrecked him since Dick's been through a pretty heavy beating.

According to the script, when Owlman put the beatdown on Nightwing back in FE 1, He couldn't see jack squat. Hence why he got outright wrecked. And I was somewhat surprised too. Because he wasn't in any type of condition to fight to begin with.

#155 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayaaerow: lol is it just me, or does Nightwing seem to have really good showings whenever he's been through intense physical torture? I forget the issue, but I recall a moment in the pre-52 Teen Titans when he (as Robin) was tortured for info then tossed into a dungeon with Donna. He ends up beating up some monster in order to save her. The dude works very well when abused.

#156 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8601 posts) - - Show Bio
#157 Edited by cameron83 (7146 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21

check this out

http://archive.foolz.us/co/thread/55683726

It has some really interesting stuff on it.

Also,do you have that scan where it shows a younger Nightwing leading the Titans? Hopefully that's canon as some sort of past group. I feel that in this next phase they're gonna bring back familiar groups and characters like this,especially with Young Justice (comic) and change the DC landscape into a more familiar one after Forever Evil,especially as was promised to us.

Put simply,this is news that is promising.

#158 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8601 posts) - - Show Bio
#159 Posted by darktiger (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

that's kool feats

#160 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8601 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing 27

Showing body reading capabilities.

Knock out two men with sticks at same time.

#161 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11314 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Dan Didio and Geoff Johns would click on this topic and learn to respect Nightwing.

#162 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP Nightwing respect thread. You shall be missed dearly.

#163 Posted by darktiger (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#164 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak said:

@jayaaerow: lol is it just me, or does Nightwing seem to have really good showings whenever he's been through intense physical torture? I forget the issue, but I recall a moment in the pre-52 Teen Titans when he (as Robin) was tortured for info then tossed into a dungeon with Donna. He ends up beating up some monster in order to save her. The dude works very well when abused.

I never replied to this a month ago but I will now. I agree. But at the same time, If it requires him being tortured for him to pick up every Batman skill and utilize it in the best competency, it makes him look incompetent most of the time when he isn't. As a fan, I'm tired of him being use as a stepping stool and requiring moments of truths to pull off awesome showings. How about "all the time" like every normal hero in his universe does? I never see Batman, Aquaman, Superman, Wonder Woman , Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, etc. having to go through torture to get a good showing. They get good showing just standing sometimes. And he's suppose to be the most high profiled hero(Outside Comics and In-Universe) after the Justice League(Of course, I believe that but they just use it for plot device rather then make him do something spectacular. How can he be that type of person when he fights some guy name "Prankster" and has no friends outside Batman and Batgirl?). I like for him to be known as one of the World's Finest like he was before. Evidently, It's only those occupying the Robin/Batman mantle and Superman.

@arturocalakayvee said:

I wish Dan Didio and Geoff Johns would click on this topic and learn to respect Nightwing.

We could always...say....find one of those threads we've done in the past where we basically vented about Nightwing's problems! Then we could just send a link to them from comicvine. Twitter seems to be the best option, as they actually tend to reply to fans(The Other Day, Dan Dido was asked something about the Robins and replied "Well, we heard there was concern there was too many Robins." Facepalm. -___-)

But to do that, we'd need to have multiple people send a link! XD If one person sends it, I doubt they'll look. They do get negativity and probably tend to ignore it. Maybe If we do that, they'll have a change of heart(MAYBE!)

RIP Nightwing respect thread. You shall be missed dearly.

*Tries to be positive but at this point, it fails miserably* :/

#165 Edited by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio
Dodges Bullets from Mad Hatter at a close range(Experience Shooter at best)
Takes out 3 Guards(Canon Fodder)
Sniffs a Tea Cup, smelling the Kanium in the tea. Great Detective Showing.

Nightwing 28

Manages to get the better of Splitbender again and without assistance from Batgirl like last time, despite Splitbender using people from his past in an attempt to throw him off. It didn't work at all and SplitBender is defeated. Splitbeder is a metahuman who has the ability to shafeshift and morph is body. He's very similar to Clayface. He's also a accomplished thief at best. A Good Showing that shows Nightwing is fully capable of fighting against a Metahuman.

Batman and Robin Annual 2

Beats down a Thug(Canon Fodder) on his first week as Robin(first night in this shot)
Beats down on more thugs with minimal effort during his first week as Robin. Before taking a hit from Tusk.

Defeats Tusk, displaying great agility in doing so. Tusk was one of who manage to get the better of Batman with by cleverly exploiting his want of protect Grayson.
Has had repeated fights with Tusk during his time as Robin and has been able to defeat him on all occasions.

#166 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayaaerow: Is that entire annual about Bruce and Dick? If so, I might actually check it out.

#167 Posted by richardjohngrayson (422 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak said:

@jayaaerow: Is that entire annual about Bruce and Dick? If so, I might actually check it out.

It's about Bruce and Dick's first night as Batman and Robin and it is a great issue that is worth every penny.

#168 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak said:

Yes. It's well worth it, too!

#169 Edited by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing 29

Makes quick work of Mr.Zsasz.
In a Flashback, is shown to handle both Harley Quinn and Scarecrow. They aren't near world tier. Crane isn't notable but Harley is at least skilled. So It's not a complete useless feat. They're not just Canon Foddeer though. And he does this as Robin.

#170 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8601 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing 29

Makes quick work of Mr.Zsasz.
In a Flashback, is shown to handle both Harley Quinn and Scarecrow. They aren't near world tier. Crane isn't notable but Harley is at least skilled. So It's not a complete useless feat. They're not just Canon Foddeer though. And he does this as Robin.

Nice work mate!!

#172 Edited by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio
Batirl mentions that she trained with the best. Nightwing, Batman, and Black Canary. While being the best is subjective, they're the only Non-Power MA that have been seen as a Top 10 a lot by other viners. Nightwing included(8-10 normally). Also, this makes Nightwing look more like a part time mentor since she mention his name along with 2 other people who did mentor her.

#173 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio
Nightwing vs Batman. Nightwing not only manages to hold his own, but eventually Bruce is the one who stops the Fight. The fight Nightwing holds his own with Batman and then some! :D (Nightwing Vol 2 #30)

#174 Posted by Squalleon (4497 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing vs Batman. Nightwing not only manages to hold his own, but eventually Bruce is the one who stops the Fight. The fight Nightwing holds his own with Batman and then some! :D (Nightwing Vol 2 #30)

This is nice. Now we know Dick's level compared to Bruce. And it seems it was an all out fight considering how brutal it was.

#175 Posted by Fenxsus (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayaaerow said:

This is nice. Now we know Dick's level compared to Bruce. And it seems it was an all out fight considering how brutal it was.

Seems more like Bruce was holding back though, trying to push Dick to his limits.

Also, did Batman kick a motorcycle in half O_o

#176 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue made me wonder why Bruce can't just have a normal sit down heart-to-heart conversation about Dick's future just like any other dad? Instead, he forces Dick (who's still recovering from being tortured by the Syndicate) into a fight that wrecks most of the batcave and both of them end up sustaining injuries. I doubt it was an all out fight from either one of them, but even still, that's taking the whole father-son relationship to a different level lol...

#177 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@fenxsus: Bruce was not holding back whatsoever. There's no indication he was(For gosh sake, they ruin the batcave! You can't hold back and do that! Richard was sent flying from his attacks and in return, Batman suffered injuries that made him get bandages around him. No holding back this time). The reason he fought Nightwing(Many people seem to not understand it) was a test of his will. He wanted to give Grayson a mission. But this mission is a very dangerous mission and he said it himself not many could do this mission. Richard had a unique situation but he wanted to be sure Richard was up for it. It was a Master/Student test.

@alak: Again, neither of them were holding back. They were going pretty all out. Again, runing the batcave...you can't do that by holding back and the injuries Bruce substained(I assume Richard had similar injuries). The point was to test his will. He wasn't testing him as a Father/Son. More of a Master/Apprentice thing. Think of it that way. Otherwise, I don't see how you can even understand why they fought.

#178 Posted by Squalleon (4497 posts) - - Show Bio

@fenxsus: Not really. He was brutally beating Dick, when Dick wasn't even fighting back. Bruce's mission was to test Dick's limits and will and Dick WON that test (not the battle). They both gave their all and ended up in a stalemate. Plus you can't hold back and crush the Bat-cave as a result.

@alak said:

This issue made me wonder why Bruce can't just have a normal sit down heart-to-heart conversation about Dick's future just like any other dad? Instead, he forces Dick (who's still recovering from being tortured by the Syndicate) into a fight that wrecks most of the batcave and both of them end up sustaining injuries. I doubt it was an all out fight from either one of them, but even still, that's taking the whole father-son relationship to a different level lol...

It was a test of will. Bruce didn't want to have a conversation about the mission he wanted to see if Dick's will, and spirit in intact. The conversation wasn't a part of the test, it was a briefing.

#179 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1596 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak said:

Regular stuff for Bruce, who's always been emotionally awkward. Pre-Flashpoint I remember, when he finally adopted Dick, it was through an extremely roundabout way, where he wanted to show Dick he cared and loved him, yet he wasn't able to come right out and say it. It's always been Dick, the open one, who shines in the spotlight, who has had to bridge the gap and let Bruce know he understands and recognizes that Bruce cares. And Bruce does very clearly state that for all intents and purposes, to him, Dick failed when the Crime Syndicate captured him, tortured him, and "killed" him, and that he now wants to make sure Dick's ready to take on this mission. Brutal, but understandable in a way. And there are still numerous other highly trained people in the DCU, but he's still choosing to ask Dick, which says a lot.

I'm interested in seeing the eventual fallout of all of this though, as it's clear Dick doesn't think too highly of this, outright stating that things will never be the same between him and Bruce. Looks like we'll see some of the old distancing between the two, which i'm sure people will be happy with, as Bruce's events have pretty much ruined Dick's title since the reboot.

#180 Edited by dropkickjake (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in seeing the eventual fallout of all of this though, as it's clear Dick doesn't think too highly of this, outright stating that things will never be the same between him and Bruce. Looks like we'll see some of the old distancing between the two, which i'm sure people will be happy with, as Bruce's events have pretty much ruined Dick's title since the reboot.

I don't see this a "falling out." I took it to mean that, after this, Bruce and Dick can't be captain/lieutenant ever again. After this they are equals. Though, to be fair, I say that more because I've heard King on a few (very annoying) podcasts, rather than what was on the page.

#181 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1596 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher said:

I don't see this a "falling out." I took it to mean that, after this, Bruce and Dick can't be captain/lieutenant ever again. After this they are equals. Though, to be fair, I say that more because I've heard King on a few (very annoying) podcasts, rather than what was on the page.

A "fallout" and a "falling out" are two completely different things. One is the aftermath of an event, one is the breaking down of a relationship. The first is what I was speaking of.

#182 Posted by I3IO_HAZARD (403 posts) - - Show Bio

That fight scene between dick and bruce was one of the best moments between the two

will go down in history

#183 Posted by JazzLover (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak said:

@nathaniel_christopher:

Completely agree. His detective skills are certainly underestimated, even among Bat-fans.

...isn't that because Drake is supposed to be the best detective among the former Robin's? They had to make him stand out somehow; I guess that's why Nightwing's detective skills get usually downgraded (or rather there is not much emphasis on showing his skills) even though he should be just as good as him but that's just my theory. But I think that his detective skills were shown or stated by others often enough but not as detailed as Tim's so maybe that's why many people tend to forget about Nightwing's skills or they are too young and haven't read his older stories for example with the Titans.

#184 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1596 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak said:

@nathaniel_christopher:

Completely agree. His detective skills are certainly underestimated, even among Bat-fans.

...isn't that because Drake is supposed to be the best detective among the former Robin's? They had to make him stand out somehow; I guess that's why Nightwing's detective skills get usually downgraded (or rather there is not much emphasis on showing his skills) even though he should be just as good as him but that's just my theory. But I think that his detective skills were shown or stated by others often enough but not as detailed as Tim's so maybe that's why many people tend to forget about Nightwing's skills or they are too young and haven't read his older stories for example with the Titans.

Dick's detective skills are barely ever shown. Tim being the best detective of the group doesn't explain that, flipping it around it wouldn't make sense to have Tim barely ever fight because he's not the best fighter in the group. Downplaying one character's abilities to show how good another's is is called bad writing in my book, and a common reason people don't want Bruce and Dick on the same team, as many writers would fall prey to doing just that. Dick has detective feats to his name, but not nearly enough considering he was trained by the World's Greatest Detective, and is said detective's Heir.

#185 Edited by redwingx (743 posts) - - Show Bio

This bummer's me out to. Dick's detective skills should be as good as Tim if not better because of experience.

#186 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1596 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx said:

This bummer's me out to. Dick's detective skills should be as good as Tim if not better because of experience.

Once pointed out something similar myself. At the end of the day, Dick's been doing this thing longer than any of the other Robins. Whether he started at the age of 8, 10, 12, or 16 that's still a fact. I have no problem with Tim having a natural aptitude for detective work (Though when you then throw in him being an olympic level gymnast and other nonsense I start to see him being a Sue) but even still both have received training from Bruce, so in this area I don't feel they should be that far apart. At worst if Tim's able to solve a crime in 10 minutes (Just a random number, don't think that's ever happened) then Dick should be able to solve it in 15-20. Basically both should be able to solve it, it just might take Dick a bit longer, for the average crime.

#187 Edited by JazzLover (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@jazzlover said:

@alak said:

@nathaniel_christopher:

Dick's detective skills are barely ever shown. Tim being the best detective of the group doesn't explain that, flipping it around it wouldn't make sense to have Tim barely ever fight because he's not the best fighter in the group. Downplaying one character's abilities to show how good another's is is called bad writing in my book, and a common reason people don't want Bruce and Dick on the same team, as many writers would fall prey to doing just that. Dick has detective feats to his name, but not nearly enough considering he was trained by the World's Greatest Detective, and is said detective's Heir.

...I agree about the bad writing part but sadly that's what many writers do especially if Dick and Batman are involved (like you have pointed it out already). If I'm not wrong Dick was also called the "second greatest detective" or smth like that a few times but that was years ago. I think the most writers of Nightwing focus way too much on his acrobatic skills not that I don't like it but I wish they would use all his skills and don't focus on just a few of them, Dick has many interesting abilities and his detetctive skills are one of them.

@redwingx said:

Once pointed out something similar myself. At the end of the day, Dick's been doing this thing longer than any of the other Robins. Whether he started at the age of 8, 10, 12, or 16 that's still a fact. I have no problem with Tim having a natural aptitude for detective work (Though when you then throw in him being an olympic level gymnast and other nonsense I start to see him being a Sue) but even still both have received training from Bruce, so in this area I don't feel they should be that far apart. At worst if Tim's able to solve a crime in 10 minutes (Just a random number, don't think that's ever happened) then Dick should be able to solve it in 15-20. Basically both should be able to solve it, it just might take Dick a bit longer, for the average crime.

...I still think the whole "olympic level gymnast" is way too much. Was it really necessary? But well Tim was not really treated well lately anyway so whatever. I hope the new Teen Titans won't screw him up more.

#188 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8601 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak: @squalleon: @i3io_hazard: @redwingx: @nathaniel_christopher: @jazzlover: @jayaaerow: Scans

Grayson 1

Acrobatically jumps from a cliff to the top of a speeding train. Use a gun as a boomerang.

Jumps of the speeding train but this time carrying a man with double of his size. Use Nerve Pinch techniques to black out Mr. Dubov.

Avoids to be tackled by Midnighter and also manages to gives two hits,although Midnighter being more faster and possess telepathy. Use Hypnos to erase everything that happened from Trent's mind.

Dodges energy blast.

To use andmaster the Hypnos device taken years,but Grayson manages to do it in first mission.

Turns a alarm clock into radio-transmitter.

Dick Grayson have Spyral's identity protection implants,which makes impossible to captured/recorded by peoples and security systems.

#189 Posted by blackhawk000111 (605 posts) - - Show Bio
#190 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8601 posts) - - Show Bio
#191 Posted by blackhawk000111 (605 posts) - - Show Bio

Also notice that midnighter was impress by both his jump on a train and his fighting skills

#192 Edited by JazzLover (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackhawk000111 said:

Also notice that midnighter was impress by both his jump on a train and his fighting skills

This was one of my favorite scenes in the comic. I'm not sure about you but he was kinda flirting with him during their fight lol jk

If I'm not wrong Seeley and King confirmed that Midnighter is gonna be in the next issue AND be a recurring character which is totally ok with me because I like him. But I hope they will team up and not fight against each other 'cause it would not end well for Dick...

#193 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed this first issue and it certainly had a lot of good feats for Dick. I know some people have been saying that Midnighter was jobbing in that fight, but I thought it was just a good showing on Grayson's part.

#194 Posted by darktiger (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

nightwing is beast

#195 Posted by I3IO_HAZARD (403 posts) - - Show Bio

Second issue was even better than the first issue, loving Grayson so far

#196 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8601 posts) - - Show Bio

Grayson 2

Helena Bertinelli says Dick Grayson's capable to predict movements.

#197 Posted by redwingx (743 posts) - - Show Bio

To bad he couldn't predict that lol.

#198 Posted by nightwingism (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx: wouldn't of done much good. I doubt he even knew he had an off switch

#199 Posted by redwingx (743 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx: wouldn't of done much good. I doubt he even knew he had an off switch

Yeah it sucks. Hes like a pig in the enemies hands now.

#200 Posted by xcell777 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to add 3 more from Grayson #2

Credit for these feats go to: nightwingfeats.blogspot.com

Endurance and Combat Strategy

Despite being led by a speedster into a very dark tunnel where he couldn't see then being sneak attacked, he's still able to cleverly counter attack by blinding the speedster with a muzzle flash discharged from his gun which causes the speedster to crash into a wall (Grayson #2)

Deduction

Detects the presence and movement of the same speedster he encountered beforehand coming from behind him then avoids being ambushed by the speedster saving his unaware partner Helena Bertinelli in process (Grayson #2)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.