Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

"modern" Comics with Dick as Robin

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm searching at the moment for modern comics (=published after 1990) with Dick as Robin.

I already found, Dark Victory, Batman: The Gauntlet, Robin Year One, Batgirl Year One and Full Circle. Are there any others you would recommend?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Teen Titans Year One.
    Nightwing Year One(Dick is Robin at the beginning and ends up as Nightwing)
    Nightwing New 52 #0
    Batman& Robin New 52 Annual #2

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^That's pretty much all that comes to my mind as well. It's a fairly serious problem that both Dick and Jason suffer from. Since Tim was the first Robin to have his own series, there are numerous trades you can buy with him as Robin, even outside of working with Bruce or the Teen Titans. I've always wanted them to go back and write new adventures for Dick and Jason set during their Robin days.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I was more looking for pre New 52 comics of him working along side Batman or solo in Gotham.

Since Tim was the first Robin to have his own series, there are numerous trades you can buy with him as Robin, even outside of working with Bruce or the Teen Titans. .

They also published regularly solo stories for Dick when he was Robin (=before 1980), but they are not as good as the newer.

I've always wanted them to go back and write new adventures for Dick and Jason set during their Robin days.

Especially Jason would deserve some new stories, his original run was extremely short and he was very inconsistently written (even his pre crisis counter part had more comics and was better written). And that one of the best comics about of him beeing Robin (Nighwing Year One) is actually a Dick Grayson story is really unfair. I would really like a to read something like "Robin: Year One" with Jason.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

@squalleon: I was more looking for pre New 52 comics of him working along side Batman or solo in Gotham.

@nathaniel_christopher said:

Since Tim was the first Robin to have his own series, there are numerous trades you can buy with him as Robin, even outside of working with Bruce or the Teen Titans. .

They also published regularly solo stories for Dick when he was Robin (=before 1980), but they are not as good as the newer.

@nathaniel_christopher said:

I've always wanted them to go back and write new adventures for Dick and Jason set during their Robin days.

Especially Jason would deserve some new stories, his original run was extremely short and he was very inconsistently written (even his pre crisis counter part had more comics and was better written). And that one of the best comics about of him beeing Robin (Nighwing Year One) is actually a Dick Grayson story is really unfair. I would really like a to read something like "Robin: Year One" with Jason.

I think, especially in light of the Flashpoint reboot, they should do a separate Robin: Year One for Dick, Jason, and Tim, chronicling their adventures during their first year of crimefighting. Even with the fact that they were each only with Bruce for a short amount of time now I think a lot of adventures could be packed in. After all, every night's a different story. Jason's of course could end with his death. Dick's could end with him becoming Nightwing. And Tim's could end with him just going out on his own to eventually form the Teen Titans. I know their origins are being covered in the Batman series as it is, so these don't have to be origin stories, but rather many individual tales that took place when each of the brothers was starting out.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By kleo_94

Agreed that there should be some decent modern comics with Dick as Robin, same goes with Jason. I like Tim, but I'd really prefer - with all Tim as Robin comics - to read something Dick-Robin related. Especially that he was the first Robin.

I can tell there's also:

All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder

Batman/Spirit

Batman: Odyssey

JazzLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@kleo_94 said:

Agreed that there should be some decent modern comics with Dick as Robin, same goes with Jason. I like Tim, but I'd really prefer - with all Tim as Robin comics - to read something Dick-Robin related. Especially that he was the first Robin.

I can tell there's also:

All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder

Batman/Spirit

Batman: Odyssey

I was never a big fan of Tim, I never understood the hype about him. He is not horrible but I always liked Dick and Jason (Damian and even Carrie) as Robin more than Tim. I think he was just lucky to become Robin at the right time.

Btw. have you read Batman: Odyssey? I wanted to read it but I have heard nothing positive about it so I'm not sure if I should read it...

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazzlover: Forgot about Scarecrow: Year One (this one is decent, I think), Batman - Fortunate Son (wasn't mentioned before, was it?), and Secret Origins #1 (2014) .

I was always wondering why everyone seem to love Tim over every other Robin. And, eh, like I sad, I like Tim, but he's nothing special. I liked Dick as Robin much more... Jason was OK, hate Damian ^^'. Shame is that Dick outgrew his role as Robin at the time when modern era of comics began. And Tim became Robin, as you mentioned already, at the right time. Sheer luck.

I haven't read it, but I think I was trying to read it once or twice, and I didn't necessarily like it.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@kleo_94: Tim wasn't supposed to be special. That was the entire point. He was supposed to just be a regular kid with regular problems and a big heart and some reasonable deductive skills.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: I thought it was discussion about Dick's appearances as Robin in modern age comics, not talking about why we like or dislike Tim. After all, it's all personal, isn't it?

JazzLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94 said:

@jazzlover: Forgot about Scarecrow: Year One (this one is decent, I think), Batman - Fortunate Son (wasn't mentioned before, was it?), and Secret Origins #1 (2014) .

I was always wondering why everyone seem to love Tim over every other Robin. And, eh, like I sad, I like Tim, but he's nothing special. I liked Dick as Robin much more... Jason was OK, hate Damian ^^'. Shame is that Dick outgrew his role as Robin at the time when modern era of comics began. And Tim became Robin, as you mentioned already, at the right time. Sheer luck.

I haven't read it, but I think I was trying to read it once or twice, and I didn't necessarily like it.

I haven't read Scarecrow: Year One yet. I guess I'll check it out soon.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aahz

Batman - Fortunate Son is afaik not very good.

And why the people prefer Tim, he is probably the only Robin with a decent amount of good modern comics.

Dick left Batman to go to college at the when the quality of the comics startet to improve (at the beginning of the Bronze Age), and became Nightwing long before all major events. (The pre-crisis Jason hat probably better storries as Batmans sidekick than Dick.)

The post-crisis Jason appeared only in ~20 issues, and most of them are either not written in his favour (in stories like Diplomats Son nobody looks good) and/or ignore the changes of the character due to crisis.

And Damian is comparison to the other Robins extremely over the top. I think you eigther like this or not. And i'm still wondering if Damian would work as a teenager. He is kind of funny as a litte Kid, but if he would behave the same way as Teenager, probably even the Jim Starling Jason would look like a nice boy in comparison.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94: well to be fair you brought Tim up in the first place. I simply offered an explanation as to why people like him.

Seems a bit strange to bring something up and them chastise someone for politely offering an opinion and to single me out even though I'm perhaps the only person besides you to mention him Anyway, I won't derail this thread and will say that some more insight into all of the Robin's pasts would be welcome. God knows they need it (especially Dick)

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94: well to be fair you brought Tim up in the first place. I simply offered an explanation as to why people like him.

Seems a bit strange to bring something up and them chastise someone for politely offering an opinion and to single me out even though I'm perhaps the only person besides you to mention him Anyway, I won't derail this thread and will say that some more insight into all of the Robin's pasts would be welcome. God knows they need it (especially Dick)

Yeah, sorry for that. But I don't think people like Tim because he's a regular kid. I think there's way easier explanation for that, meaning:

@aahz said:

And why the people prefer Tim, he is probably the only Robin with a decent amount of good modern comics.

This.

Coming back to topic. Batman: The Widening Gyre?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@kleo_94: I personally think they go hand in hand (it was the good writing that sold people on Tim's transition from a normal kid to a master detective/cobatant but like you said it's all opinion.

Anyway, that's the last time I'm gonna mention Tim lol and I've never read the Widening Gyre, that was written by Kevin Smith right?

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Dick appears there as Robin only in flashbacks, but it's really cute.

Yeah, it was written by him.

Heh, Tim, Tim, Tim. I liked him not because of his own, well written series, but because he was a nice touch to the Batfamily. And with Dick they're making great brothers.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94: you've earned a follow my friend

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: New Frontier (given it's only a cameo, but the story is amazing)

Young Justice (the tv show is amazing but they also made a tie-in comic book series).

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94: *hugs* life is the very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was the good writing that sold people on Tim's transition from a normal kid to a master detective/cobatant but like you said it's all opinion.

The pre-crisis Jason also had (in my opinion) a really good written arc, about the transition from a circus acrobat to Batmans partner (better than any of Dicks origin stories I know). Unfortunately they didn't do the same for the post-crisis Jason.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kleo_94

@avenging_x_bolt: So true, my friend.

I did a little research, so I can add:

Batman #687 (has this short flashback, but it's extremely cute)

Batman 80-Page Giant #3

Batman - Turning Points #2

Batman - Legends of the Dark Knight #149-153 (Grimm arc)

Titans vol 3 - East Special (in flashback story, but damn he's sexy there)

Superman & Batman Annual #2 (maybe not that much of Dick there, but he's really... cute, again. He's just cute as Robin, okay?)

Superman #700 (second story, I think it was.)

Batman Chronicles #9

All I can recall right now. There's an extreme shortage of post-1990 'Dick-as-Robin' stories. :c

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teen Titans Year One.

Nightwing Year One(Dick is Robin at the beginning and ends up as Nightwing)

Nightwing New 52 #0

Batman& Robin New 52 Annual #2

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the Timeline in "Nightwing Secret files an origins" Dick impersonates Batman the fist time in his second year as robin by using a exoskeleton.
    Does anyboddy in which comic this story is published?

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By I3IO_HAZARD

In the New 52 there is relatively little, the only ones I can think of are in Nightwing #0 and Secret Origins #1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.