Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9430 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Just kill Nightwing

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't handle it anymore, DC obviously doesn't support Dick and just sees him as a plot device that can make Batman look better.

DC has taken everything that fans loved about him and made Nightwing who he is, the Titans, the respect from other heroes, the feared leadership which surpassed Batman's, his friends and finally his beloved superhero identity.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Better than being in the shadow of the bat for the rest of his life...

Since DC won't allow him to surpass Batman as a super-hero. Try to take him out of the super-hero business and make him a spy, is better. I for once don't like Dick having a title only for DC to sell Batman tie-ins and I got tired of Nightwing's world getting burned to the ground every time, a villian needs to hurt Batman.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Saren

But you still have more that you can lose! Your mind! Your sight! Your voice! Your heart! Your soul! All these things give you strength! All these things you can still lose! All these things you will still lose!

No Caption Provided

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By redwingx

How does not telling alfred and barbara protect them? is bats afraid those two cant keep a secret? that is just lame comic book soap opera nonsense. i would love to know the reasoning behind taking one of dc most popular characters and changing his status quo this much. he is too much like batman? but the 4 or 5 batbooks arent too much like batman?

They are killing Dick without killing him, they are effectively killing off Dick Grayson. I just can't anymore... The Titans, Wally, LOSH, now Dick....

@squalleonSqualleon Nightwing doesn't need to be better than Batman and Nightwing is a better superhero, Batman himself has said that.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@redwingx said:

How does not telling alfred and barbara protect them? is bats afraid those two cant keep a secret? that is just lame comic book soap opera nonsense. i would love to know the reasoning behind taking one of dc most popular characters and changing his status quo this much. he is too much like batman? but the 4 or 5 batbooks arent too much like batman?

They are killing Dick without killing him, they are effectively killing off Dick Grayson. I just can't anymore... The Titans, Wally, LOSH, now Dick....

@squalleonSqualleon Nightwing doesn't need to be better than Batman and Nightwing is a better superhero, Batman himself has said that.

Who said about better? Surpass can be said in many ways. And if you have been reading NW's title in the new 52 you know that NW was just a big tie-in on Batman's major events. The title lacked a clear direction, when a direction was built, Batman came and crushed it down.
    The title changed direction THREE TIMES in two and a half years.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

What's the almost universal criticism of superhero stories? The characters never really change, so I'll give DC some credit for at least moving Dick Grayson in a different direction, of course I'll take some credit away because the change is almost to the letter what Bucky Barnes just went through.

Dick Grayson is my favorite character and I haven't been 100% on board with what has been happening to him in the new 52, but what we could end up getting out of the "Grayson" series, isn't all that bad. The positives are that he's going to be traveling the world, meeting other members of the DC Universe, going back to a black and blue color-scheme (somewhat), the creative team looks competent, and it seems as though he'll be free from the Batman tie-ins that really hurt former-writer Kyle Higgins ability to tell his story. Kind of building off one of my previous positives, if he is indeed going to play a "Nick-Fury-esque" role in the DC Universe, doesn't that make him MORE important than he was as Nightwing. At the end of the day, what is it that we love most about Dick Grayson, likely it's his personality and as long as that doesn't change significantly, I don't see any character assassination.

Give it a few issues.....

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Him becoming a spy seems like the best thing that can currently happen to him.His book became more than bad after all of the crossovers Snyder did and it lost it's charm around the half of it.So Dick "dying" and becoming something else,a person of his own who would not be connected to Batman or the Batfamily seems interesting and quite the big step for him.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

No Caption Provided

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I like the idea,

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JayAaerow

Okay. So first off, I'm actually interested in this. This is a direction Batman can''t just run the heck in and destroy inadvertently. That's a giant plus! Biggest New 52 Problem possibly going the heck away! Good riddance to that problem!

Second,This is a major problem: Comparison! Why is it whenever Dick Grayson does something, we always compare to someone else?(I'm guilty of this ;-;) "Oh this looks like what Bucky does!" Really? Im sorry. Has Bucky Lead the Justice League twice? Is the best human acrobat in the world? Was he ever a cop? Did he lead a Teen Superhero team? Did he ever clean up a city before it blew to smithereens?(F the New 52 rectons. he still did this stuff! DC not allowed to erase 70+ years of continuity and let it go down the drain. It's still there.) "He's working for NOTSHIELD" Spyrall is no SHIELD. The closest thing to that is ARGUS! Anyone who's read Batman Inc. would know that. Dick Grayson is Dick Grayson, whether he's a super spy, cop, mobster, or a superhero!

He's not define being Nightwing. He's not like Batman where Batman and Bruce Wayne are synonyms. That's where he's different. He's been Robin, Nightwing, and Batman for gosh sakes! He's here to be a hero the best way he can be. He can do it with and without costumes and still look awesome! :P But the comparison thing is getting on my nerves. "Hes DC's Answer to Captain America". No he's been around longer then him. He's nobodies answer to anyone. He's suppose to "DC's Answer to having another awesome hero". In other words, lets stop comparing him for once and just see him being a superhero from a different approach. So what If it's similar? Who cares? Tim and Jason get his crap but no one but NW fans seem to really bat an eye over them taking his history(Just how they're written), but oh he becomes a superspy and everyone loses their minds!(XD) Stop with the motherducking comparisons to Agent Venom, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Bucky Barnes, etc! DC has spy organizations too ya know! Marvel ain't the only ones!

Three, this book ain't even out yet! Wait till it comes out before judging it's character assasssination. He was Nightwing and was undergoing that. They at least keep him truly Dick Grayson. Without his history, it's was hard! But he managed to still look good in the end(Don't tell me Nightwing 29 didn't get you teary eyed. Liar!), even with all their stupid changes!

Sheesh, his life is a bit beyond being supporting to other people! He wants to be a hero. I'm sure this isn't going to be permanent. I'm treating this as a big ole adventure he'll do for a while and eventually return to being Nightwing but bigger and better then EVA! :P Plus, he'll make new friends along the way. He has like...no friends other then Batman, Babs, Damian(dead), and Tim(Batman Inc. had them interact quite fine. I don't know where people are getting the fact they're still not bro-like. PULZ! I'll just pretend if it came truly to that.). All his old friends don't care, don't exist, or rather hang with Jason.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No don't though...

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By redwingx

@jayaaerow Of course Dick is defined by Nightwing, that's why hes so popular.

Seriously make anyone else Nightwing and that popularity will vanish like fire unless Dick becomes Batman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

And the problem with whiny comic book fans is summed up in this OP post. I'm glad that Dick Grayson's getting this direction as a fan of the character. It's BETTER than him being killed off because there's always so much more that can be done with him. Dick is an ever evolving character and this status quo change could really benefit him in the long run. For you to whine and b**** about it a day after this announcement is made is plain pitiful really.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

And the problem with whiny comic book fans is summed up in this OP post. I'm glad that Dick Grayson's getting this direction as a fan of the character. It's BETTER than him being killed off because there's always so much more that can be done with him. Dick is an ever evolving character and this status quo change could really benefit him in the long run. For you to whine and b**** about it a day after this announcement is made is plain pitiful really.

Right......

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was reading something online about this and someone said that bruce is the one who tells dick to go away abs pretend to be dead. If that's true, for you Nightwing fans, I hope that's all the involvement Bruce has. But you guys do have to remember that Bruce is like his father and its important that they have a relationship

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kidchipotle

After some serious thought about this new direction, I like it. Obviously this isn't going to be the status quo for Dick, he WILL be back as Nightwing eventually, but for now, this is kind of cool. I'm just glad they didn't kill him. That would have been terrible. This will be one of the few 52 books I'll continue picking up, LONG LIVE DICK GRAYSON!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@redwingx: Would you seriously prefer it if Dick were dead? Is that what you'd really want for the character? This new status quo shift cannot be worse than DC offing Dick in all honesty.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By redwingx
    @lvenger said:

@redwingx: Would you seriously prefer it if Dick were dead? Is that what you'd really want for the character? This new status quo shift cannot be worse than DC offing Dick in all honesty.

Dick diead when new 52 was created.

Why not let him rest in piece and not destroy the character more? DC are idiots and don't know what the hell to do with the character anyway and the so called new direction shows it.

So why not?

@jayc1324 Dick is not Bruce's ward in the new 52. Dick visited Wayne Manor as a part time job like Terry. He also took the Robin persona as a part time job too and lost his parents at age 16. Bruce is more of a brother than father to Dick.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

*Watches the shitstorm,all the while thinking about how dreamy Tim Drake would look in the Nightwing suit*

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

@redwingx: Why do I have a feeling that if you were around when Dick Grayson first became Nightwing, you would have been like "OMG DC has no idea what to do with Dick Grayson, he will always be Robin!!".

Until the first issue comes out, I think that it's wise to chill out with the talks of "character destruction". To be honest Dick Grayson has been treated pretty well out of the other members of the Batfamily in the new 52.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By redwingx

@avenging_x_bolt said:

*Watches the shitstorm,all the while thinking about how dreamy Tim Drake would look in the Nightwing suit*

I disagree. Tim should find his own identity and not take someone else. The Nightwing identity isn't a Robin identity promoted. Tim isn't Dick.....

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By redwingx

@youknowwhattodo said:

@redwingx: Why do I have a feeling that if you were around when Dick Grayson first became Nightwing, you would have been like "OMG DC has no idea what to do with Dick Grayson, he will always be Robin!!".

Until the first issue comes out, I think that it's wise to chill out with the talks of "character destruction". To be honest Dick Grayson has been treated pretty well out of the other members of the Batfamily in the new 52.

Not really, the Robin identity is imo stupid and kills the seriousness of Batman so no I wouldn't care if Dick became Nightwing, in fact I would have welcomed the change.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@squalleon:

Agreed. We going to another take and explored Nightwing´s potencial and character before his own tittle with Bluebird. He was trained by Batman, make him a spy kind makes sense, since he knows to be stealthy and some hacker skills and suposed to be one of 5/6 best martial artista, the best acrobat and capable of using several weapons.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: Lol 5/6 best Martial Artist? Top 5? He sure isn't treated as one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@jayaaerow:

That was before N52. It was (Karate Kid) Batman, The Trinity Assassins (Bronze Tiger/Lady Shiva/Richard Dragon) and then Nightwing and Black Canary as 5/6 depending on each writer. Now on N52 probably will be different.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

@youknowwhattodo said:

Not really, the Robin identity is imo stupid and kills the seriousness of Batman so no I wouldn't care if Dick became Nightwing, in fact I would have welcomed the change.

-___- How anyone can say this, and then talk about DC taking away things that make Dick who he is, and that fans loved is simply beyond me. I'd say being Robin is just as much part of who is, as being Nightwing is. I agree though, DC's taken a lot away from Dick since the Reboot.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I'll admit when I first heard this news I wasn't that excited, but I am really looking forward to it now. He'll still be Dick Grayson even if he isn't sporting a domino mask. I will miss the Nightwing costume, but hey maybe one day he'll go back to being Nightwing. The spy thing for Grayson is new and does sound interesting and hopefully this means Batman won't be ruining everything about Grayson's book. I love the Bat family, but one of the things thats been ruining them for me has been Batman's events. I stuck with Nightwing because Dick Grayson has always been my favorite hero in the DC Universe, but I dropped Batgirl because I was so sick of every other issue being a response to the big Batman event.

Also for Nightwing fans this should be an exciting time. Mainly for the younger fans (like me) who weren't around in the 80's to have witnessed first hand the transformation into Nightwing for Dick. Right now, in our time, we are seeing our favorite character, Dick Grayson, move on as a character. Something that could be talked about and become an even more important part of Dick Grayson's mythos than Nightwing was.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I can understand why Nightwing fans are pissed, I'd be pissed if Bruce wasn't Batman anymore and I'm sure Superman fans would be pissed if Clark wasn't Superman. DC could've easily made him keep his Identity, like in MCU people know Tony is Iron Man but that did not matter to him. But still its better than death.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.