Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9484 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

JLA: Nightwing over Batman for membership?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

Edited By Trodorne

Now with the current "Reboot" of the continuity of the DC universe, one thing that we know is going on is that Batman is coming back to the Justice League of America, but as we seen in the recent issues of the Justice League before the reboot was the Tactical Leadership of Dick Grayson. Dick is notorious for have better people skills than Bruce Wayne ever had or ever will have in a lifetime. 

Batman:

It takes one little thing to set him off. 
     It takes one little thing to set him off. 

Good
    • Billions of dollars
    • Master of stealth and martial arts
    • gadgets galore.
    • master detective
        Bad
    • Broods
    • Does not work well with others
    • Slight case of paranoia.
    • Emotionally shut out.

No Caption Provided
      Nightwing:
       Good
    • Tactical Leader
    • master detective
    • master of stealth and martial arts
        Bad
    •  Uses his emotions
    • tries hard to be his own man.
    • bit of a man-whore.

Based on this I would go for nightwing, Batman mainly has money but its his lack of playing well with others that turns me off. Yes Batman has billions of dollars and tons of gadgets. but if anything I think it would benefit Batman to stick to street level crime fighting while Nightwing has a chance to make himself what he can be and that is a leader and maybe lead the Justice League. He has better potential and Batman has and always will be a social outcast from any of the groups.

Yes we have Wonder Woman and Superman, but they were never leaders but more of icons of the group who stand for something and act as like a lady liberty. they are there for show, and clark has never really been that smart anyways. But Nightwing has more to offer to the benefits to the team and can occasionally go back to doing street level fighting if he ever has free time from the league itself. 

Sure I am maybe biased towards bruce wayne. but myself he is better of sticking to Gotham on the crazies that are running around.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By batmanary

By this point, Nightwing would be a better JL leader. In fact, in OYL, Batman went and asked him first, whereupon he refused. He's the linchpin of the DCU, and if it weren't abound brand name, he would be the Justice Leaguer while Batman was focused on the Outsiders.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Trodorne: Em did you just say Superman isnt smart? SMH 
    anyway after the new 52 batman will FORM the JLA its the first time they have met
    Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VampireSelektor
    @Trodorne 
    I think what you meant to say is that Superman doesn't make a habit of thinking strategically due to his optimistic and trusting personality. Wonder Woman, on the other hand, has never been portrayed as a tactical leader.
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VampireSelektor
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @Trodorne: Em did you just say Superman isnt smart? SMH anyway after the new 52 batman will FORM the JLA its the first time they have met

Eh... Are you sure? There has been a great deal of misinformation on this site in regards to the DCnU (ex. Tim Drake never having been Robin, which is false)
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @VampireSelektor said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @Trodorne: Em did you just say Superman isnt smart? SMH anyway after the new 52 batman will FORM the JLA its the first time they have met
     Eh... Are you sure? There has been a great deal of misinformation on this site in regards to the DCnU (ex. Tim Drake never having been Robin, which is false)
    this has been confirmed for a looooong time.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By fodigg

I would've liked to see Nightwing appear in JLI.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Trodorne
    @batmanary said:
    By this point, Nightwing would be a better JL leader. In fact, in OYL, Batman went and asked him first, whereupon he refused. He's the linchpin of the DCU, and if it weren't abound brand name, he would be the Justice Leaguer while Batman was focused on the Outsiders.
    If anything, Dick does not want to join a group that Bruce has control of. Because whether people will admit it or not. Bruce is a bit of a control freak and has to be in control of every group or he is not involved. its his way or the highway. Dick realizes this and does not want to be part of his team. Though he respects the work that bruce does he just does not want to be under batmans wing all the time. 

@fodigg said:
    As nice as that thought is, it seems Batman is running that too by the cover of it.
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VampireSelektor
    @Avenging-X-Bolt

So the Morrison-penned JLA stories are inconsequential? : 0    

Is there a comprehensive list detailing each and every change to the DCU?
    spaceboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By spaceboy

You ever noticed that everytime Grayson joins a team the number of female team members goes up?
    Back to topic: Dick would make a better leader but he is probably not iconic enough to lead the league as Nightwing. 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Batman's role in the League is a bit superfluous. That's what the animated series did so well. If an issue was big enough, Batman would show up and prove to the rest of the League that he made them redundant. On a day to day basis, he has no reason to be there. Dick, on the other hand, represents the human element like Bruce, but in a way that's more suited to an everyday team dynamic.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Trodorne

and its true not everyone likes working with batman. this is case in point:

No Caption Provided
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By fodigg
    @Trodorne said:
      @fodigg said:
    As nice as that thought is, it seems Batman is running that too by the cover of it.
    Well that's what I meant. It'd have been nice if they'd opted for Nightwing instead.  

Oh well. Maybe it's Dick in the costume? I doubt it but that'd be cool.
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VampireSelektor
    @spaceboy said:
    You ever noticed that everytime Grayson joins a team the number of female team members goes up? Back to topic: Dick would make a better leader but he is probably not iconic enough to lead the league as Nightwing. 

All you need is a good writer (Morrison on Animal Man; Bryan Q. Miller on Batgirl)
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @Trodorne said:
    and its true not everyone likes working with batman. this is case in point:
    No Caption Provided
    LOL! Gotta love Guy!
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmoothJammin

I just want to see him on a team that's not named Titans

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Gambit1024
      I kind of disagree with your points. Yeah, Batman broods, but he's usually the one with the good tactics. Better than Superman's tactics sometimes. He's not paranoid, he's just prepared for anything. On top of that, he's the one of the best planners in the DCU. To say he doesn't work well with others is also faulty. What about Batman and Robin? and the Outsiders? and the JLA? and the JLI?

I do think that Nightwing is the better superhero, though. He's likeable and he'll get the job done, but just because your likeable doesn't mean you're not better suited for the team. Batman's a better leader than him, he's a better detective (and so is Tim Drake for that matter) and Batman's a better fighter than him. I also don't see how being your own man is a bad thing. And if you think Nightwing's a manwhore, you should look at Bruce Wayne's black book.  

But my thing is, why can't Batman and Nightwing be on the team?
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmoothJammin

If Batman served an Oracle-esque roll in the JLA and guided the team via satellite comms, I'm sure Dick can work effectively under his watch as a field leader. It even plants the seeds for the type of working relationship he'll have for Terry McGinnis in the future.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By ReVamp
    Nightwing:
    Good
    • Tactical Leader
    • master detective
    • master of stealth and martial arts
    Bad
    • Uses his emotions
    • tries hard to be his own man.
    • bit of a man-whore.

The first two things in "bad" are good.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Gambit1024: Viners are saying that if they're both on the team Nightwing's role is limited because Batman apparently does everything better, to which I argue why the fk is Huntress on the roster then? or Roy AND Ollie. As Robin it wasn't any different, he tagged alongside Bats and Supes in Superfriends and Worlds Finest, people ate it up. How is he inadequate when he represents the future of heroism, noone would argue his presence. He'd make sure the JLA never split, and if they did Dick would use everything in his power to keep the team alive and bring in others.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By ReVamp

Not to mention he's not overshadowed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.