Is the Dick Grayson / Supergirl pairing Viable Post-Flashpoint?

#1 Edited by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

EDIT: This thread assumes Kara is 18 post-Revamp and Dick is 19-20.

After Flashpoint, Dick Grayson is obviously younger than he previously was and thus in the age department it is certainly possible to allow the romance to happen, since I don't think that Kara is 15 anymore [if it is I'm creating this thread for nothing]. The real part of what interests me is to see what the "next" version of the World's Finest would look like and I can definitely see that there is some possible chemistry between the two of them. Who better to show the girl who hates humans that humans can be good, than Dick Grayson, a man of flesh-and-blood as well as an optimistic and pure personality.

Never liked the pairing on New-Earth, but I wouldn't mind it now [Of course I have other preferences, but that's off-topic]

#2 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Kara is still jailbait age (I think she's about 16 in the New DC), but I wouldn't mind the pairing. I didn't really like it at first when she was with The Outsiders, but later, I could see the two togther. Either Dick or Tim would work for me.

#3 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre New 52, Dick and Kara had a nice brother sister bond. Kara was more settled and accustomed to human culture and Dick acted very protectively towards her despite the fact she had the same powers and abilities as Superman. Now though, Kara's a completely different person and I don't feel Dick and Kara should be paired together in the New 52 this early on.

#4 Posted by DEGRAAF (7909 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking the same thing you were getting at. She doesnt trust humans and will probably never trust Bruce Wayne but Dick could be the perfect person to show her people are good. I could see a close tight knit friendship come out of it and maybe eventually more but i would like to see her settle down somewhere on Earth and Nightwing/Dick Grayson rolls in to town as well. They could do good together.

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be a kick-ass World's Finest team, but I think DC's leaning more towards Red Robin and Superboy for that.

#6 Posted by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't know how to comment since I've yet to witness the inclusion of Power Girl in the new 52. DC teased us with that pairing in JLI, and when she adopted the red wig and glasses in her civilian guise I felt that it was bound to happen sooner or later. Don't care much for Supergirl as of this moment. Maybe if I read her series I could inquire more on that potential relationship.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13644 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is still to old for her

#8 Posted by Dernman (15473 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked the idea of them as a couple.

This has no baring on my opinion but I believe he is like College age to her High School age. 

#9 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Dick is still to old for her

This. Kara should be around 16 while Dick should be in his early twenties. Kara doesn't seem too fond of earth and judging from her last experience with humans, I don't see her trusting any human soon

#10 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

since he has to decide between two red heads, lets make it harder and add in a blond! perfect :P

#11 Posted by Rabbit_May_Cry (303 posts) - - Show Bio

...Jason...Todd. Hahaa...

#12 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

I never liked the idea of them as a couple. This has no baring on my opinion but I believe he is like College age to her High School age.
#13 Edited by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

I also think Kara is still a bit too young for him. Tim Drake however...

#14 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

She'd kill him. Have people not learned this yet?

#15 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

As in?

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

since he has to decide between two red heads, lets make it harder and add in a blond! perfect :P

ReVamp logic at its finest =P

@Dernman: @Avenging-X-Bolt: @fodigg:

I was assuming she was 18 to his 19-20 post-Reboot. I'll clarify OP.

#17 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@TheCrowbar said:

As in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1AadzrK324

#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheCrowbar said:

As in?

Yeah, but the roles are reversed here. Besides, why's it gotta be 'bout the sex, eh?

#19 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheCrowbar said:

As in?

Yeah, but the roles are reversed here. Besides, why's it gotta be 'bout the sex, eh?

Healthy long term relationships have a healthy long term sexual relationship. And Dick Grayson might be a hero, but he's still a man we both know he'll try to tap that.

#20 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheCrowbar said:

As in?

Healthy long term relationships have a healthy long term sexual relationship. And Dick Grayson might be a hero, but he's still a man we both know he'll try to tap that.

Yeah, we do. But still don't mean anything. The man has a different job as opposed to the woman.

#21 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp:Kyle Higgins confirmed that Dick is 21 in the DCnU. Kara is probably around 16.

#22 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85: I actually recall hearing that, but it doesn't change anything at all, I'm assuming Kara's legal, obviously.

#23 Edited by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

@ReVamp:Kyle Higgins confirmed that Dick is 21 in the DCnU. Kara is probably around 16.

If she was jailbait then...he's a suuuuper creep if he does it now. I'm looking at you, Hal Jordan.

#24 Edited by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@jrock85 said:

If she was jailbait then...he's a suuuuper creep if he does it now. I'm looking at you, Hal Jordan.

Not even mighty Hal Jordan could resist the temptation.
#25 Posted by X9 (767 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think she's too imature and young...I'd rather her with Tim (but not forever) or someone else.

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't think that they're making her 16. I'm thinking they're making her 18 to add a age difference between her and Connor.

#27 Posted by X9 (767 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what, I take back what I said about preferring Kara with Tim.

I honestly can't think of a pair for her, at least not now. She's the kind of character who doesn't need to have one to be more attractive or sth.

Plus, that human+super strong alien thing would never work out, especially when the man of the relationship is far weaker than the woman...

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@X9 said:

You know what, I take back what I said about preferring Kara with Tim.

I honestly can't think of a pair for her, at least not now. She's the kind of character who doesn't need to have one to be more attractive or sth.

Plus, that human+super strong alien thing would never work out, especially when the man of the relationship is far weaker than the woman...

I think that's what actually makes it interesting, especially with her hating humans and whatnot.

#29 Posted by Izaiah (5238 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:

Didn't stop Mon-El from sleeping with Billie Harper (making her pregnant too) with no apparent problems, and without any indication that he was at anything but full power at the time.
The opposite scenario is also implied to work, as one of Mon-El's ancestors (the child of Bal Gand) had a human father.
That was all in Pre-Flashpoint continuity though.
#30 Posted by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: I still can't understand why you made this a NightwingxSupergirl and not NightwingxPowergirl. It's all love though!

#31 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@ReVamp: I still can't understand why you made this a NightwingxSupergirl and not NightwingxPowergirl. It's all love though!

For a number of reasons:´

• The NightwingxPowergirl relationship was never actually explored.
  • The NightwingxSupergirl relationship wouldn't work because of age difference, which isn't the case in the Revamp as Dick has been de-aged and Supergirl may quite possibly be older.
  • Powergirl isn't actually in the New 52. True, Karen Starr is and there is also the Earth 2 version of her, but it just isn't the same.
#32 Posted by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Dick and Powergirl's chemistry had been being explored in JLA, JLI and Power Girl series. If Supergirl was too young then, the only logical alternative now is to play up Dick's acquaintance with Powergirl. In the DCnU, there's a stronger case for her still because she's stranded on the main Earth with Huntress who has blood ties to the Wayne family apparently. Supergirl isn't legitimately campaigning under the Superman banner at this time so who knows if her Earth 2 counterpart will even run into her anytime soon since she's kinda doing her own thing like Superboy. Chances are the 'Worlds Finest' as they're being called, will likely find refuge w/Bruce/Dick/Clark. The prospect of NightwingxSupergirl being bro/sis is still too fresh in readers minds....so I'll go with DC planting a fun little cameo between Dick and Helena/Earth-2 Kara. *Extends hand* .......10,000 dollar bet? ;)

#33 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@ReVamp: Dick and Powergirl's chemistry had been being explored in JLA, JLI and Power Girl series.

Yes, but not nearly as much and not that much was concentrated in the romantical possibilities.

If Supergirl was too young then, the only logical alternative now is to play up Dick's acquaintance with Powergirl.

I don't see how you concluded that...

In the DCnU, there's a stronger case for her still because she's stranded on the main Earth with Huntress who has blood ties to the Wayne family apparently.

...I don't think that makes the case stronger but that's not the point, I asked whether people thought that the relationship was viable now -- not whether it was a good idea.

Supergirl isn't legitimately campaigning under the Superman banner at this time so who knows if her Earth 2 counterpart will even run into her anytime soon since she's kinda doing her own thing like Superboy.

True, but her unique views make it interesting.

Chances are the 'Worlds Finest' as they're being called, will likely find refuge w/Bruce/Dick/Clark. The prospect of NightwingxSupergirl being bro/sis is still too fresh in readers minds....

They weren't really bro/sis...

so I'll go with DC planting a fun little cameo between Dick and Helena/Earth-2 Kara. *Extends hand* .......10,000 dollar bet? ;)

Maybe. But that doesn't mean that they'll immediately make a romantically involved relationship.

#34 Posted by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Yes, but not nearly as much and not that much was concentrated in the romantical possibilities.

You mentioned NightwingxPowergirl not being explored when in truth, DC was in the advent of overhauling years of storytelling. There weren't many instances where they teamed up but whenever DC threw those two together you always got the sense the company intended to go a certain route, if not as lovers then chemistry as great friends

I don't see how you concluded that...

-Put simply. She was a teenager 'then', and her infatuation with Dick ran it's course. They wound up bonding as bro/sis in JLA. New universe and you still have an older, independent, more experienced counterpart of Kara's in the form of Power Girl from Earth 2. Doesn't it just make more sense when you look at the intangibles?

...I don't think that makes the case stronger but that's not the point, I asked whether people thought that the relationship was viable now -- not whether it was a good idea.

You can call it reaching but in my defense, the solicits for World's Finest mention Helena and Kara as stranded on Main Earth. If Helena is related to any of the Waynes, we're bound to see that encounter in WF. I was trying to explain that it's still feasible, given that the two are likely to spend time in both books(Supes and Bats)maybe not now, but later on.

True, but her unique views make it interesting.

I can't comment on this one. Haven't picked up her series yet srry mate

They weren't really bro/sis...

I'm starting to think you missed out on Robinson's run on Justice League. lol For all intents and purposes, I still feel like Supergirl has 0 compatibility to Dick as opposed to that sexy little firecracker in the white unitard.

Maybe. But that doesn't mean that they'll immediately make a romantically involved relationship.

Good things take time

#35 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

-Put simply. She was a teenager 'then', and her infatuation with Dick ran it's course. They wound up bonding as bro/sis in JLA. New universe and you still have an older, independent, more experienced counterpart of Kara's in the form of Power Girl from Earth 2. Doesn't it just make more sense when you look at the intangibles?
  1. I don't think so, but I didn't read the last part of JLA.
  2. I'm not discussing whether PGxNW > SGXNW, because it is. I was just curious on how people saw this. As to why I didn't create the thread back then with PGxNW, it because she wasn't in-universe.
You can call it reaching but in my defense, the solicits for World's Finest mention Helena and Kara as stranded on Main Earth. If Helena is related to any of the Waynes, we're bound to see that encounter in WF. I was trying to explain that it's still feasible, given that the two are likely to spend time in both books(Supes and Bats)maybe not now, but later on.

True.

I can't comment on this one. Haven't picked up her series yet srry mate

I only know from interviews and whatnot.

I'm starting to think you missed out on Robinson's run on Justice League. lol For all intents and purposes, I still feel like Supergirl has 0 compatibility to Dick as opposed to that sexy little firecracker in the white unitard.

LOL. I mentioned it above, I stopped at the beginning of the Eclipso arc...

#36 Posted by Deranged Midget (17856 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see it.

#37 Posted by vernierhawk001 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmmm....

#38 Edited by dropkickjake (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure about them as a romantic pairing, but I'd love to see them interact. I don't know what age she is intended to be, and I've read every issue of her book. I think its a great take on the character, personally. As far as them as a romantic pairing:

-Those tend to end poorly for Dick.

-I can see how the relationship would be good for Kara. Dick being a naturally optimistic and inspiring figure could be the tipping factor of Kara begining to care about and trust humans. I'm not sure what Dick would gain, other than a hot blonde girlfriend.

I'd love to see her included in a Nightwing lead team book.

#39 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes its absolutely viable now, if Kara is indeed 18. Don't think it's been stated yet, but from what i've seen of her she does appear to be a bit older now so its a definite possibility. I agree with the idea that she needs someone to show her that humans do have a vast potential for good, as that's really one of the main reasons Superman was sent to Earth in the first place. Kara however doesn't see that and has so far only had bad experiences on the planet. She needs someone, one of our finest, to help her see things from a different point of view. And who better than a man that spends his time constantly looking at the world from different angles?!

I think the relationship has potential if done right.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.