Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

If Nightwing Is Nightwing, Then Who Is Nightwing? [video]

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By warlock360

If Dick becomes Batman, then Batman won't stay dead since *ba dum tsh* Dick is Batman, just like Bucky is Cap.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By warlock360

Btw Batman #666 might help fill out the missing pieces

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell

So Action Comics is using the same plot as "Star Trek the search for Spoke" in terms of aging Zod's kid? The growing pains, the chick cradling him in her arms, the speedy cellular growth, etc etc. I have a question about the whole continuity between Action Comics, and whats taking place in Batman Battle for the Cowl. Do they coincide? You'd  think the villains of the DCU would be staging a major take over with both Batman and Superman missing. Does anyone in the Batverse make mention of Superman's departure? Thats pretty big news to have go unnoticed.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warlock360

If nightwing does take over the cowl, could it be that it will only be for a short period of time until the above event happens?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Voidheart said:
    "

If nightwing does take over the cowl, could it be that it will only be for a short period of time until the above event happens?
    "
    With what just happened in Azrael I doubt this future will ever take place.
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By warlock360

D: inform me

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Gambler said:
    "I have a question about the whole continuity between Action Comics, and whats taking place in Batman Battle for the Cowl. Do they coincide? You'd  think the villains of the DCU would be staging a major take over with both Batman and Superman missing. "
    There was a page where this Nightwing and Flamebird are in Gotham and he wonders why Batman isn't responding to the Bat-signal in the background.  The kid met Batman when he was with Lois and Clark which could be part of why he took on the name Nightwing.  And in BFTC #1, Black Mask did bust out all the Arkham baddies that were being transfered.  The you-know-what is gonna hit the fan soon.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Ghostshell

PM sent.

I seriously doubt Nightwing's going to become Batman. Just cause he's the logical and most worthy character to take up the mantle doesn't mean he will. It also makes the whole "Battle for the Cowl" pretty much pointless if the obvious choice ends up with the Cowl. They could have saved some time (and us money) if that's what they intend to do.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

Nightwing is the most obvious but so was Bucky.  Also with the certain gun-totting 'hero' already claiming to be Batman in BFTC #1, we still have that to deal with.  Nightwing may finally grow a pair and decide to claim the mantle for himself.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Nightwing's man card got pulled along time ago (we all know what I'm talking about to :P). But you do have a point about Bucky. I however am betting on a wild card to take up the mantle. Someone fans never saw coming.

Avatar image for dr__victor_von_doom
    Dr. Victor von Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nightwing, is awesome the way he is, i want him to stay like that.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck

I agree.  Nightwing should stay Nightwing as Robin should stay Robin and Batman should stay Batman.  I don't see the need to mix things up.  Sure characters need to progress but they can still keep their identities.  Most characters don't change their names all the time.  It's up to the writers to take the existing character and do something with them.  Just changing a name and giving them a new costume seems too easy.

Avatar image for xbilliexshearsx
    xbilliexshearsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xbilliexshearsx

I like Nightwing as Nightwing....Im upset they cancelled his comic....even if he does become batman...it wont be the same...and I can't see them honestly keeping bruce wayne gone for long

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Nighthunter

Let's be honest, Battle for the cowl could have been named "Nightwing: Like father like son" or something like that

For me it's obvious that battle for the cowl is all about the build-up for Dick to become Batman because otherwise, it would feel anti-climatic

Considering the various series comming either Dick dies or becomes Batman considering how there's no sign of Nightwing in the future projects and let's be honest, there's no way that DC is getting rid of the two most popular members of the bat family at the same time.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gmanfromheck

But they don't always solicit everything...

I do think the fact that they're calling Lor-Zod Nightwing is saying something.  I suppose one way to look at is Dick was Robin for a loooong time and then changed to Nightwing.  So you never know.  Maybe DC will actually surprise us.  Common sense says everything would return to the status quo eventually but who knows.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By pixelized

Why hasn't Babs posted in here? We spent hours discussing how BftC will play out!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By danhimself
    Nighthunter said:
    "Let's be honest, Battle for the cowl could have been named "Nightwing: Like father like son" or something like that

For me it's obvious that battle for the cowl is all about the build-up for Dick to become Batman because otherwise, it would feel anti-climatic

Considering the various series comming either Dick dies or becomes Batman considering how there's no sign of Nightwing in the future projects and let's be honest, there's no way that DC is getting rid of the two most popular members of the bat family at the same time.

"
    there's no way they would kill nightwing they had there chance during infinite crisis and chose to kill superboy instead
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck

I think a third option could be a name change.  I don't really think that'd would happen but that's what I was getting at about him changing his name before.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By danhimself

i just have this problem with really getting to involved with the series

due to covers we know that damien is going to be the new robin and i hate that kid 
    we already know that bruce is still alive and it's only a matter of time before he comes back and when he does i guarantee he'll take back the cowl by force if necessary 
    so the only question left is when is he coming back and i have a feeling it'll be sooner rather then later
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gmanfromheck

Not necessarily.  Damien's been wearing that Robin-esque costume for a while.

We all have to assume Bruce will be back.  But it's a question of is it a good enough ride to enjoy?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nighthunter
    G-Man said:
    "Not necessarily.  Damien's been wearing that Robin-esque costume for a while.

he is in the cover of the "Batman and Robin" #1

G-Man said:
    "I think a third option could be a name change.  I don't really think that'd would happen but that's what I was getting at about him changing his name before.
    "

unless he becomes Red Robin he either dies or becomes batman and I really doubt anyone in DC would say "Screw Drake and Todd, let's make Dick the new/old Red Robin even though he has never even encountered anyone using that costume in main continuity"
    superboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By superboy12

dick deserves to be batman cause come on he was the first robin the boy wonder and probly best known robin of them all.  Plus you have to remember dick lead the original teen titans outsiders and has been a member of the JLA also he's probly the best choice cause jason todd's way to agressive, Damian has issues, so the logical choices are tim and dick.  hope they dont make a stupid mistake by making someone stupid batman like jason todd

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gmanfromheck

I just say never fully trust the solicits.  That's all I'm going to (and am allowed) to say...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danhimself
    G-Man said:
    "I just say never fully trust the solicits.  That's all I'm going to (and am allowed) to say...
    "
    wait a minute....you know something we don't, don't you?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#25  Edited By No_Name_
    Voidheart said:
    "

"
    The above was a hypothetical and no where was it stated that it was the future
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By No_Name_
    "As I've said before, Dick needs to get over it and become Batman"

The role of Batman can never be replicated because it was a role created out of a personal event that Bruce as a child experienced. It is the result of a personal tragedy. BRUCE'S personal tragedy. (I know the history of Nightwing's parents so don't even try to bring that to the table as an argument.)
    Having said that, I really don't think that Dick wants (nor will he take over,) as Batman. And I truly hope he doesn't seeing as (if you've read his books,) you'll know that he has spent the last, oh I don't know, 10 years or so trying to get away from Batman and moving away from that association in an attempt to formulate his OWN identity. By making Dick Batman they would ultimately be undermining I don't know how many years of continuity. And isn't that just so predictable though? Making Dick Grayson the next Batman? C'mon people. Surprise me already. I'm bored.

Batman is supposed to be dark and brooding. If I wanted to read a character that cracked bad jokes all the time *cough*Nightwing*cough* I would pick up an issue of Spiderman.

Butttt as usual great review :)

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kurrent

Was Dick, Red Robin in Kingdom Come I forgot if he was.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nighthunter
    Kurrent said:
    "Was Dick, Red Robin in Kingdom Come I forgot if he was.
    "
    yup
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Babs said:
    ""As I've said before, Dick needs to get over it and become Batman"

The role of Batman can never be replicated because it was a role created out of a personal event that Bruce as a child experienced. It is the result of a personal tragedy. BRUCE'S personal tragedy. (I know the history of Nightwing's parents so don't even try to bring that to the table as an argument.)
    Having said that, I really don't think that Dick wants (nor will he take over,) as Batman. And I truly hope he doesn't seeing as (if you've read his books,) you'll know that he has spent the last, oh I don't know, 10 years or so trying to get away from Batman and moving away from that association in an attempt to formulate his OWN identity. By making Dick Batman they would ultimately be undermining I don't know how many years of continuity. And isn't that just so predictable though? Making Dick Grayson the next Batman? C'mon people. Surprise me already. I'm bored.

Batman is supposed to be dark and brooding. If I wanted to read a character that cracked bad jokes all the time *cough*Nightwing*cough* I would pick up an issue of Spiderman.

Butttt as usual great review :)

Really?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Looks like someone "replicated" his role there.  Also, for some fun books, I suggest everyone check out the John Bryne "Superman & Batman: Generations" volumes (there were 3 volumes).  Those are "imaginary tales but, like I said, they're fun.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By No_Name_

I still see the role of Bruce Wayne as one that is a lot more personal than just donning the cape and cowl. Maybe I like depth to my characters. If Bruce has to die, let the cape and cowl die with him. Let's agree to disagree.

Oh and there's a reason why I don't like Terry McGinnis.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nighthunter
    holds his thoughts on the subject until Babs publishes her videos to start the debate
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By No_Name_

LOL!

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By TheMess1428

Dude, Robin and Birds of Prey got canceled too. So could Tim or Huntress take over? It's a possibility as well.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By No_Name_

Maybe Robin will be Batman!

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nighthunter
    TheMess1428 said:
    "Dude, Robin and Birds of Prey got canceled too. So could Tim or Huntress take over? It's a possibility as well.
    "
    Robin-Moving to Red Robin

Birds of Prey was babs book, not huntress

Babs-Moving to Batgirl
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By No_Name_

And cassndra..... >.>

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nighthunter

Gotham Streets

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

I know they can't possibly let Batman die and stay dead, but if he were to then I would say just let him die and don't replace him because no one can replace arguably one of the greatest and most distinctive comic book characters of all time. Besides Nightwing, though the obvious choice certainly isnt the fit for the role of Batman....he should continue to be Nightwing....he is awesome as is.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39  Edited By The_Martian
    Babs said:
    "Oh and there's a reason why I don't like Terry McGinnis.
    "
    Ugh, I hated Batman Beyond!
    Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#40  Edited By TwilightThunder

C'mon. If Nightwing becomes Batman they would have ruined (like babs said) 10 years of continuity, BUT WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT THAT ON DC ANYMORE!? They've become a "never-ending" Crapfest since 2005 with mega-events after mega-events, everybody knows what my POV of actual DC is. So i think Bruce Wayne will be back this year after Dick takes over the mantle for a couple months... Jason Todd will be Red Robin and Tim Drake will be Robin. I mean, they brought Hal Jordan and Barry Allen back after a decade or even two decades, Bruce was killed some months ago, but... Y'know being DiDio the man who introduced merciless murder, sexual assault and graphic violence to DCU. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

BUT! I'm ready to accept the future that Morrison introduced in Batman #666 (hell of an issue, i might add) Where Damian takes over the mantle and dresses up like a detective from the 40s with a bat-cowl.
    Proverb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Proverb

Why can't there be two Nightwing's at the same time? There have been before. Powergirl was Nightwing only a few years ago.

Also, check out the IGN scans/quotes from Morrison on his new series. It's pretty blatant that the new Batman/Robin team is Dick/Damian.

sythspawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sythspawn

I realize it wasn't a great story, but has everyone forgotten about "Prodigal Son" where Dick took on the mantle of the bat while Bruce did some soul-searching right after winning it back from Jean Paul Valley? Even back then, Dick didn't want to be Batman, so I don't think he'll be it by the end of BftC.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43  Edited By DMC

Yeah, the new Batman will most likely be Dick, (that page at the end of RIP says it all)........but it's been done before. So my "dark horse" is Jason Todd, the first Robin got a shot, now it's time for the second one. It's a long shot but maybe what he experiences in BFTC will change him.

themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#44  Edited By themaskedhero

I almost feel like there shouldn't be a new Batman. Bruce Wayne worked as Batman because of the origin story, to put that same mantle on another person seems stupid.

But then we start treading on the whole "Batman as a symbol" turf. Which then would say that there should always be a Batman. 

But as a reader, it won't be the same.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gmanfromheck

Change can be nice.  It's good to mix things up.  It can make some 'fresh' stories.  I don't think it's fully necessary though.  I get that it may be hard to write new and exciting adventures for characters that have been around for ever but that's part of the job.  I'm not crazy about the huge events or deaths to try to make things exciting.  There are other ways to do it.  I'd assume the change won't be permanent.  Especially in the midst of a successful movie franchise.  The non comic reading people would get confused if they picked up a book.  DC doesn't want that.  This is also why Captain America is working.  He's an iconic character and all but doesn't have all the media attention that Batman does.  I'm just gonna try to enjoy the ride while it lasts and hope it doesn't turn out to be a car wreck.

Hawk1072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hawk1072

Um... am I the only comicvine.com user that is old enough to remember why Dick chose the name Nightwing?  I think its time that all of you go back and read the Marv Wolfman / George Perez run on Teen Titans.  Especially the Judas Contract stoyline.  You can probably find these in the 25 cent bin in alot of comic shops.  I found the whole storyline in the 5 for a dollar box.  Happy hunting!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Welcome to the Vine Hawk1072.

Hawk1072 said:

"Um... am I the only comicvine.com user that is old enough to remember why Dick chose the name Nightwing?
    "
    But you should give us a lil more credit then that :P
    Nightwing

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Media_Master

Didn't know that Nightwings excisted before Dick Grayson

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By warlock360
    @Voidheart said:
    " If nightwing does take over the cowl, could it be that it will only be for a short period of time until the above event happens? "
    Just to come back on this, Damian's portrayal of Robin does look like the one in the left image, could it be that If bruce returns he will die? and if not then is that Dick grayson lying there dead?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.