If I could only read five comics...

#1 Posted by vernierhawk001 (533 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone,

I have been a Grayson fan for a while but have read surprisingly few comic books. Thus, I am deferring to the knowledge of the collective:)

Question 1: If I could only read five comics that define Dick Grayson's tenure as Batman, what would they be?

Question 2: If I could only read five comics that define all of Dick's career, what would they be?

#2 Posted by Darkpanther (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Question 1:Batman and Robin v1, Batman: The Black Mirror, Batman; Gates of Gotham, The First few issues of Streets of Leviathan and I don't know about a fifth

Question 2: Robin: Year One, Nightwing: Year One,(I haven't read a lot of the Nightwing V1 but i'm sure a story arc in there could be my third spot), The First issues of Batman and Robin v1 and Batman: The black mirror by Scott Snyder

#3 Posted by The_Tree (7077 posts) - - Show Bio

As Batman:

• Batman: Battle for the Cowl
  • Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
  • Batman & Robin: Batman vs. Robin
  • Batman& Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die
  • Batman: The Black Mirror

Books that define his career: For me, it's impossible to list what defines Dick's career with just five books.

#4 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

The Black Mirror is DEFINITELY on the list. I think that was really the story that defined Dick Grayson's time as Batman.

As for four others... I'll have to get back to you later.

#5 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Mirror is surely a must-have on that list.

In terms of career defining events it's difficult to pinpoint any particular stories. I know a few guys might disagree with me but the recent run of Nightwing, which tied in closely with Snyder's Court of Owls story arc, was pretty defining for the character.

#6 Posted by vernierhawk001 (533 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: @Darkpanther: @LuigiBat: @Imagine_Man15: Thanks guys. I was thinking about buying a a book. Since Black Mirror seems to be a common denominator.....a trip to the comic store might be in line

#7 Edited by richardjohngrayson (414 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd do Batman: The Black Mirror for Dick as Bats.

As for who he is as a person Teen Titans: The Judas Contract.

#8 Posted by vernierhawk001 (533 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson said:

I'd do Batman: The Black Mirror for Dick as Bats.

As for who he is as a person Teen Titans: The Judas Contract.

Thanks. I was wondering why I hadn't seen a lot of Titans stuff referenced

#9 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

2:

• Detective Comics #38 (1st series)
  • New Teen Titans #39 (1st series)
  • Tales of the Teen Titans 44
  • Anything from the first arc of Batman and Robin (1st series)
  • Batman #7 (N52)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.