Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9469 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Identity Crisis for Dick

• 94 results
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By daredevil21134
    @batman_is_god said:

@Green Skin
    It's because I read Batman books that I know it's not a mantle. Three of your examples were by Morrison, and the ending of the story with Jean Paul Valley was all about confirming the fact that there was only one true Batman (assuming you actually read Knightfall instead of just looking it up on a wiki). So the only example outdside of Morrison that you have is Tim Drake in the Teen Titans and Terry in Batman Beyond. And even in Batman Beyond it is hinted many times that Terry is not Batman, just a youthful body for Bruce to use (confirmation being that the entire time Bruce is talking in his ear telling him his every move, and that evidence was recently found to prove Terry actually shares Bruce's DNA.). So ultimately the only non Morrison evidence anyone really has to prove it is just a mantle instead of a tortured man's dark weapon against crime is Tim's future, which no other writers seem to acknowledge as canon.

Dude it's not a mantle get over it. However, like I said before it is occasionally fun to watch Dick play dress up. I used to pretend to be Batman when I was younger as well.

lol
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#52  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @daredevil21134 said:
    @batman_is_god said:

@Green Skin
    It's because I read Batman books that I know it's not a mantle. Three of your examples were by Morrison, and the ending of the story with Jean Paul Valley was all about confirming the fact that there was only one true Batman (assuming you actually read Knightfall instead of just looking it up on a wiki). So the only example outdside of Morrison that you have is Tim Drake in the Teen Titans and Terry in Batman Beyond. And even in Batman Beyond it is hinted many times that Terry is not Batman, just a youthful body for Bruce to use (confirmation being that the entire time Bruce is talking in his ear telling him his every move, and that evidence was recently found to prove Terry actually shares Bruce's DNA.). So ultimately the only non Morrison evidence anyone really has to prove it is just a mantle instead of a tortured man's dark weapon against crime is Tim's future, which no other writers seem to acknowledge as canon.

Dude it's not a mantle get over it. However, like I said before it is occasionally fun to watch Dick play dress up. I used to pretend to be Batman when I was younger as well.

lol
    stop that
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @batman_is_god said:

@Green Skin

So what Brotherhood of the Bat and Legion of Batmen? Morrison did'nt write either of those.Or you know the Bill Finger stories where Dick became Batman with Bruce Wayne jr as his robin.Of course it's mantle.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#54  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @VampireSelektor: You're forgetting that unlike Superman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman/etc.. Bruce Wayne devotes himself completely to Batman. Batman isn't just a mask, or an origin, it's the complete surrendering of one's self to an idea that is ultimately fruitless. To know that what you're doing doesn't matter, but that you continue you to do it because you must, because you're the only one who can. It's about losing your humanity in order to feed a lonely demon that is an unrewarding cancer of the self. Batman isn't about a kid watching his parents die, or a Bat crashing through a window, it's the story of a man who chose to make himself into a monster; to forego any sense of happiness or normalcy, and face the nightmares of the world's consciousness. Dick Grayson is not Batman because, when he takes off that mask and costume, when he lies in bed next to some random girl; he's Dick Grayson. He's not torturing himself, he's not going over a million different variables in his head to combat the next unknowable threat; he's not Batman.

Now thats not fair FTBB, he tortures himself..."hmmmmm, Do i sleep with the Redhead in the wheelchar whom im supposed to be engaged to, or do i sleep with the Redhead with the  boiling hatred for clothing whom i was also engaged to at one time"  that seems the a pretty painful decision to me

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By daredevil21134
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @daredevil21134 said:
    @batman_is_god said:

@Green Skin

lol
    stop that
    Whatever dude lol
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Caligula said:
    "Identity Crisis for Dick"(never say that again)  :Dgoes into my top ten, unintentionally funny thread titles.

LMAO
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#57  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @VampireSelektor said:
    @batman_is_god:  Grayson has accomplished more than enough feats to escape the shadow of the Bat. 
    No he hasn't.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Vance Astro said:
    @VampireSelektor said:
    @batman_is_god:  Grayson has accomplished more than enough feats to escape the shadow of the Bat. 
    No he hasn't.
    Yes he has lol.He raised Damian Bruce could'nt raise Jason.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @entropy_aegis said:
    @Vance Astro said:
    @VampireSelektor said:
    No he hasn't.
    He didn't raise Damian. He's been with him less than a year. And Bruce raised Dick. And if you were to argue that Dick put Damian on the straight and narrow, then the same could be said for Bruce and Cassandra.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By DEGRAAF

@batman_is_god said:

@Green Skin: And what exactly makes Batman a mantle?

Really !?! You've got to be kidding me. Maybe the fact that the writers, fans, characters, and Bruce Wayne all call it a mantle!

@VampireSelektor: 
    Nicely said.

@batman_is_god said:

@VampireSelektor
    Batman is an identity created by Bruce Wayne. Think about the fact that it is Batman, not intellectual brooding man. Spider-Man is Spider-Man because he has Spider powers, and most heroes are named similiarly. The name and costume have a personal meaning to Bruce that it does not have (no matter how much evidence you provide to the contrary) to anyone else. Batman is a weapon born of Bruce Wayne's torment to fight crime, and many will argue is his true persona. It's not something that can just be handed around. Mr. Terrific would be every bit the impostor as Dick is, although he would be far more convincing as Batman's replacement (with the exception of the black skin showing through the mask).

Plus, even if it were another hero whose costume did not have the imortance to them that Batman's did, it's kinda stupid when costumes are passed around. Dick wants to escape Batman's shadow so he... dresses like Batman? Colossal fail.

You think Mr. Terrific would be mor econvincing bc he is more intelligent and brooding or what?

Also if you remember Dick didnt want to take on the Mantle. He refuse and only took it on bc Jason started dressing like him and killing people. Also the villains needed to see that Batman wasnt dead. Yes he was acting like Bruces version at first but quickly changed to his own version to better himself. Also once Bruce return he told Dick to stay on as Batman of Gotham. He realized (as well as you should) that the Persona of Batman is larger than Bruce.

Do you think Dick should take on a persona that uses his fear against his enemy?

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

but batman isnt a company, its an identity.

Sure seems like Batman is a company considering it's all about Batman Inc. now. Batman is a costume protrayed by a man. Just as that Daxamite took over as Superman. He still did it his own way.

@batman_is_god said:

Just because one is experienced does not mean you act like Batman. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman all manage to be experienced without acting like or pretending to be one another. And there is no such thing as "Being Batman in your own way". There is Being Bruce Wayne, then there is not being Batman.

Like I said, Dick pretending to be Batman is cute every now and then, but it's not as great as Batman haters like you and Primmaster make it out to be.

As to your company metaphor, Dick is more like the annoying son that spills coffee on the industrial sketches then the new CEO.

When you are trained by someone you tend to pick up their traits. So yes being trained by Bruce the majority of his life would make him act more like the way Bruce acts. All the people you just named were never shown to follow a solitary hero around learning from them their whole life. And of course there is such thing as "being batman your own way". That like saying two first basemen play the same position the exact same way. "There is being Bruce Wayne, then there is not being Batman" doesn't make any sense to this argument.

Also i never said i hate Batman. Actually i like him. I think he is a great character. a little over rated but still deserves the respect he has gained over the his life time. Sounds more like you just hate Dick Grayson.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @entropy_aegis said:
    @Vance Astro said:
    @VampireSelektor said:
    No he hasn't.
    He didn't raise Damian. He's been with him less than a year. And Bruce raised Dick. And if you were to argue that Dick put Damian on the straight and narrow, then the same could be said for Bruce and Cassandra.
    Cass was'nt a troublemaker like Damian.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By daredevil21134

Seems like they're alot of Grayson fans that like him in the cowl

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By VampireSelektor
    @daredevil21134: There's just something enticing about comics coming full circle. It's hard to maintain enthusiasm for your favorite characters continue to go through the motions with the same storylines and themes for the past two decades.  And - maybe this is just me - the reality of the three most important Robins acting as a major players in the DC Universe sounds thrilling: "Batman, Man Wonder"; "Red Robin, World's Greatest Detective"; "Red Hood, Scourge of the Underworld". 

Also, Dick regressing back to Nightwing would mean another decade of irritating fanservice. Again, the cape is integral in covering up that magnetic ass of his.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By daredevil21134

Magnectic ass?Ok

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#65  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

If people dont like Grayson as Batman what do you think should be done with him? He should not be demoted back to Nightwing. 

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @daredevil21134
    many female DC character have mentioned how nice his ass is
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By batman_is_god

@spiderbat87
    I know what should be done with him, but i have this paranoia that if I say my prediction out loud they will never come true. I will say he should not be Batman, and it would not be a problem for him to go back to nightwing but after all this I can see why people would think it would be. I think a new title would be best.

I don't mean inheriting another mantle, since I think that's just stupid in general, let alone when it is a character like Batman. A whole new identity. One that pays homage to him personally like Batman does to Bruce. Which is why why favorite nightwing costume is the original one: it looked like something you would see in a circus.

batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By batman_is_god

@DEGRAAF
    I hate Dick under the cowl, although as I have been saying it is cute to watch him play Batman every now and then. Two basemen is like being two superheroes. Two Batmen is like their being two Babe Ruths

@entropy_aegis
    The brotherhood of the bat was not really multiple Batmen. And I don't really take anything Bill Finger wrote into consideration, seeing as he led the charge during the campy 60s which comics are still made fun of for.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By daredevil21134
    @DEGRAAF said:
    @daredevil21134: many female DC character have mentioned how nice his ass is
    oh i see
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @batman_is_god said:

@DEGRAAF
    I hate Dick under the cowl, although as I have been saying it is cute to watch him play Batman every now and then. Two basemen is like being two superheroes. Two Batmen is like their being two Babe Ruths

@entropy_aegis
    The brotherhood of the bat was not really multiple Batmen. And I don't really take anything Bill Finger wrote into consideration, seeing as he led the charge during the campy 60s which comics are still made fun of for.

So what do you think it was? Batmen were everywhere there.The point of that story was that Batman IS a mantle which can be used both for good and evil.
    Bill Finger is the guy who made him,so yeah i'll take that stuff in to consideration,the campy stuff was prevalent in the Superman books as well.It was just a trend,just like the "dark stuff".The boring thing of the 90's.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By Green Skin
    @batman_is_god said:

@Green Skin

Mantle:  Mantles are identities that have been used by more than one character.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @batman_is_god said:

@DEGRAAF

@entropy_aegis

not so much about there being two Babe Ruth's. You seem to think of Batman as the person He is basically a postion in the team. Batman is a Persona of someone. That like saying Obama is trying to act as Bush bc they held the same position. No that we have narrowed down your problems with mantles being passed on, tell me. Do you feel that same way about the Flashes, Mr. Terrific, Supergirl, Donna Troy (when she was Wonder Woman) or every other character that has taken over someones mantle they have trained under or looked up too?

Also according to what you said to Entropy_aegis, sounds like any proof people have it is a mantle you deny or totally ignore.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By daredevil21134

Wow this is getting really intense

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SmoothJammin

So once again, my fellow Graysonites I pose the question of whether or not the Man Wonder is indeed the embodiement of Hope? He's transcended the role of Batman IMO. Compensate this man for his selfless devotion to crimefighting in times like these when bitter fanboys never give him the time of day. Reward Nightwing with a Blue Power Ring . The cosmic stuff is where it's at, and it wouldn't stray too far from all the mystical/otherworldly experiences he encountered during his days as a Titan where he garnered much of his success. Grayson's always shined brighter than the rest of his family. Keep Dick as far away from Gotham as possible, but stick him in a strong leadership role. Leave him on the JLA where he can serve as a mediator to Bats & Supes, and maybe then we can revisit those Golden Age days where the Worlds Finest actually meant something. If Didio thinks our boy is redundant, well sales don't lie. Allow Tim to usurp the big brother role to Damian & company. Who cares.  Ppl will follow Dick wherever his journey takes him.. dump him in Bludhaven again, clean house on the metas this time with the aid of Hal Jordan and the GL's(as a means of plugging the casual fans who'll watch the movies and follow the media) Haven's kind of like a mash up of Gotham and Metropolis these days isn't it? Sounds like the perfect spot to revisit on a comeback trail..

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @SmoothJammin said:

So once again, my fellow Graysonites I pose the question of whether or not the Man Wonder is indeed the embodiement of Hope? He's transcended the role of Batman IMO. Compensate this man for his selfless devotion to crimefighting in times like these when bitter fanboys never give him the time of day. Reward Nightwingwith a Blue Power Ring . The cosmic stuff is where it's at, and it wouldn't stray too far from all the mystical/otherworldly experiences he encountered during his days as a Titan where he garnered much of his success. Grayson's always shined brighter than the rest of his family. Keep Dick as far away from Gotham as possible, but stick him in a strong leadership role. Leave him on the JLA where he can serve as a mediator to Bats & Supes, and maybe then we can revisit those Golden Age days where the Worlds Finest actually meant something. If Didio thinks our boy is redundant, well sales don't lie. Allow Tim to usurp the big brother role to Damian & company. Who cares.  Ppl will follow Dick wherever his journey takes him.. dump him in Bludhaven again, clean house on the metas this time with the aid of Hal Jordan and the GL's(as a means of plugging the casual fans who'll watch the movies and follow the media) Haven's kind of like a mash up of Gotham and Metropolis these days isn't it? Sounds like the perfect spot to revisit on a comeback trail..

None of that applies to Dick. That's all Bruce.
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SmoothJammin
    @FadeToBlackBolt
    I did say "in times like these". Nothing Dick does can satisfy the impossible standards of hardass fans; He's fully invested himself into the cape and cowl once again only to have to fight his way out of the shadow of the bat in search of a new identity. I say he's transcended the bat mantle because Grayson as a hero should not be limited to protecting a single city, Bruce has no right to dictate that. His talents are better aimed at defending the Earth or serving the Guardians of the Universe. He's a peoples person with very well rounded skills and a stronger leader than Bruce. Batman is Bruces totem. Let him dwell on the vengeance and his almighty mission in the name of a bat for all I care. I find all the monotonous balance of order shenanigans to be boring. Atleast Inc is finally livening things up some, just get Dick far far away from all the hot garbage fallout that comes with Morisson wrapping up this tragedy. Kill off Jason if anything.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DEGRAAF

@SmoothJammin

I like Dick Grayson as Batman but i would be ok if they came up with a way to move Dick beyond the Batman persona and would still be considered Bruces equal.

I definitely dont want them to kill of Jason after the last issue he was in.

As for the Blue Lantern ring i would say i would like to see him use it occasionally but would prefer him to leave it in his belt pocket or at his hideout the majority of the time unless he was going against a large villain. I did kind of like the idea of a blue lantern belt.

batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By batman_is_god
    @DEGRAAF said:

@batman_is_god said:

@DEGRAAF

@entropy_aegis

not so much about there being two Babe Ruth's. You seem to think of Batman as the person He is basically a postion in the team. Batman is a Persona of someone. That like saying Obama is trying to act as Bush bc they held the same position. No that we have narrowed down your problems with mantles being passed on, tell me. Do you feel that same way about the Flashes, Mr. Terrific, Supergirl, Donna Troy (when she was Wonder Woman) or every other character that has taken over someones mantle they have trained under or looked up too?

Also according to what you said to Entropy_aegis, sounds like any proof people have it is a mantle you deny or totally ignore.

Batman is not a position on a team. a strategist is a position on a team, a leader is a position on a team, but not a name. Your president example is a prallel to Captain America or Iron Man as the leader of the Avengers more than who is pretending to be Batmn this time. And yes, I do feel that way about all mantles being passed on, although passing on Batman is especially worse due to it's personal meaning. The only reason it could ever be interpreted as a symbol is because of what Bruce did, and everyone who wears it after him is constantly compared to him. The only times I can go with titles being handed around is when they are nothing like their predecessor (Michael Holt, Jaime Reyes, Terry McGinnis) but the guys that basically do everything the original did with a different personality is nothing but a gimmick. 

Three examples were all Grant Morrison, and one was not canon. So only the Brotherhood and Batman Beyond arguments hold any water. If you read the Brotherhood you would realize the point was the exact opposite and that there is only one Batman, but Morrison likes to throw a finger too all writers except himself and the campy silver age stuff. If you have ever read an interview by him you would see he is a complete ego maniac. But even he intended for Bruce to be the only Batman after RoBW, but the recent surge of Batman popularity due to his success in movies and video games has also spawned massive hate towards him (nothing is more popular than hating what is popular. You may notice all popular things are labeled "overrated"), and no one is more suspect to hating what's popular more than comic readers. If you would like the link to where he said he had to change his plans to Inc. because of all the interest Dick Grayson under the cowl is getting from the Batman anti-fans, let me know. I did not save the link, but I should be able to find it again eventually. 

BTW I include you in those anti-fans, seeing as how the OP stated he needs to "take a back seat."
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By batman_is_god

BTW sorry for the late response, I don't read comics anymore so I don't come here as often as I used to.
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By VampireSelektor
    @batman_is_god: Even if there is a anti-Batman subculture, that doesn't necessarily factor into every instance of "Dick-Bats" adoration.  This love could also be indicative of one of the most interesting turn of events in comics history. Dick taking on the mantle of the Bat was one of the few times a "What if?" scenario was actually answered with real consequences. And the premise is STILL interesting. Also, I've noticed your recurring point claiming that Dick will never escape Bruce's shadow as long he's under the cowl. It's funny, since all three former Robins seem to be using the same M.O. from their Boy Wonder years: Dick is serving as Bruce's go-to guy by serving as the Batman of Gotham and mentoring Damian (almost similarly to how he mentored Tim Drake), Jason is murdering criminals because he's confident he's smarter than Batman, Tim IS smarter than Batman and is still telling him how to improve his methods, just like he did when he begged him to take up another Robin before he himself took on the role. Jason is so determined to prove himself to be the more effective crimefighter that he, perhaps without realizing, imitated Bruce down to the point of "taking on the persona of the one creature who he feared the most". Tim, on the other hand, wasn't even that enthusiastic about being his future as Robin and, given his strengths (planning, operational thinking), it's appropriate that he and Bruce are collaborating on the creation of Batman Inc.  I've always felt like Dick is following the same behavior: by being Batman, he was able to restore order to a city that needed a familiar presence, he was able to successfully reach Damian and inspire him to heroism. Would Damian have been as compliant if he was a part of member of a Dynamic Duo made up of Nightwing and Robin? No, and he wouldn't be now. Plus, Bruce seems incapable of mentoring anyone besides Dick. I honestly doubt Tim would have lasted as long without Dick's help. Dick isn't in Batman's shadow, he's an integral part of his grand machine. I don't want Dick to be Batman forever, but regressing back to Nightwing so soon would be a slap in the face. Ample amounts of thought must be applied to exiting story WITHOUT disrespecting the character or disrupting promising storylines (Damian is still Robin).  

Based on my experience on Comicvine and IGN, a significant anti-Grayson subculture exists as well.  
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81  Edited By Mercy_

O___o intense thread. Here's my feelings on the matter and on Dick as Batman in general.  

Dick makes a good Batman, maybe even a great one. But it was never intended as a permanent position for him. THE Batman is Bruce Wayne. He's the only one who should ever hold the "mantle", in my opinion, especially considering Batman is who he actually is and Bruce Wayne is the mask he wears. Dick never wanted to be Batman, he never wanted to be Bruce. He broke away from the Bat-Family and established his own identity and life as Nightwing. The only reason that he picked up the cowl is because he knew that if he didn't, Jason Todd would and that he'd desecrate everything that the Batman name ever stood for. He was placeholding so that it couldn't be abused. That's not to say that he's not a great Batman, because he is. He's made it his own and maybe rejuvenated it a bit, but now Bruce Wayne is back from his little vacation in time and we really have no need of two Batmen. 

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By daredevil21134
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    O___o intense thread. Here's my feelings on the matter and on Dick as Batman in general.  

Dick makes a good Batman, maybe even a great one. But it was never intended as a permanent position for him. THE Batman is Bruce Wayne. He's the only one who should ever hold the "mantle", in my opinion, especially considering Batman is who he actually is and Bruce Wayne is the mask he wears. Dick never wanted to be Batman, he never wanted to be Bruce. He broke away from the Bat-Family and established his own identity and life as Nightwing. The only reason that he picked up the cowl is because he knew that if he didn't, Jason Todd would and that he'd desecrate everything that the Batman name ever stood for. He was placeholding so that it couldn't be abused. That's not to say that he's not a great Batman, because he is. He's made it his own and maybe rejuvenated it a bit, but now Bruce Wayne is back from his little vacation in time and we really have no need of two Batmen. 
    i agree
    Avatar image for fastest_th1ng_alive
    Fastest_Th1ng_Alive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@VampireSelektor
    There is no "regression" back to Nightwing. This is the main reason so much comes out of these debates. Dick Grayson was never 'promoted'. It's not like getting a promotion at work. Comic wise these guys aren't getting paid other than the satisfaction of being the heroes they become. It's a family/friend style help. When Batman disappeared, Dick wasn't thinking to himself "Oh nice! I get to be the Batman!" It's the same as if say your family owned business was left without a manager when your father was temporarily hospitalized from a car accident. When your father gets out you'd hand him back over his shop and continue about your duties around the shop as before. Now your father might look into that and give you more responsibility or a better position, but you're still who you are. And until your father dies or can no longer fulfill his duties as the manager of the store, you're not the manager so long as the shop succeeds. Batman can still fulfill his roles. He still owns the shop that is Gotham City. And he's still Dick's superior. Him taking his position back as Nightwing isn't regression, it's duty. The fact that anyone sees Batman as a promotion is PROOF that Bruce Wayne is the top dog. If Dick Grayson was better than Bruce Wayne, then people would be considering Dick Grayson's duty to hold up Bruce Wayne's phantom visage as what you call 'regression'. All this debate is just Dick Grayson fans subconsciously acknowledging that Bruce Wayne is the commander in chief of Gotham City. Rather than look at Dick Grayson's return to Nightwing as a 'demotion', we should be looking at it as a great way to expand Nightwing's role in Gotham's defense. He's got some experience now rolling with the punches Batman has to deal with, so he's ready to step it up a bit. If he's as great as a lot of people seem to think, then he should be good enough to hold up a larger role for Gotham as his OWN Superhero.  

I personally liked the short time Dick was Batman for the interesting story and show of loyalty for Batman he put on, but like a true Batman fan, and a TRUE Dick Grayson fan, I want Dick back with his identity and I want to see him step up to the plate. Time to see him play a bigger role in Gotham. He doesn't need to be wearing Batman's suit for that. It's a disgrace to Bruce Wayne and Dick for him to stay in Batman's cowl now that he's back. Bruce Wayne is Batman.  

Oh and by the by, Tim is smart and Batman acknowledges that, but he's not smarter than Batman. Batman's just got 10x the amount Tim has on his dish so Tim focuses more on the things Bruce can't while he's busy keeping Gotham from burning to the ground. :)

batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By batman_is_god
    @VampireSelektor
    True, Damian would not have been as compliant. But now he knows the guys under the masks and Nightwing & Robin would work just fine. 

Tim's smarter than Batman? Since when? 

Dick served the role of older brother to Tim, but not father. Bruce is the one that raised Tim Wayne. But anyone who has an older sibling looks to that sibling for advice, especially when they have disappointed the parent(s). 

Yes Dick did reign in Damian, but a lot of that goes to his few interactions with his father beforehand. Read the beginning of B&R. 

I always thought of Nightwing as Dick becoming his own man. I never thought of it as a sidekick. He led the Outsiders at one point, which is not the duty of a sidekick. The only reason people perceive Batman as dominant to Nightwing is because Batman is, no matter what anyone says, smarter and a better fighter. No one seems to think of Green Arrow as this lowly thing, but I respect Nightwing more than him. The mantle does not demand respect, the person wearing it does.  If Dick wants REAL respect, he needs to do it as himself, not Batman #2.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Fastest_Th1ng_Alive: Very well said
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#86  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Primmaster64: This is the exact thing I hated about Morrison's characterization on Batman and Robin. Dick should have no hangups about wearing the cowl. This concept isn't intriguing, it's just insipid and asinine. I as hoping to read the main Batman title after Tony "I'm no writer" Daniels left, but it looks like Nicieza not going to be much better. Scott Snyder, Higgins, Tomasi...these men know how to write Dick Grayson. Fabian needs to stick to writing Tim and leave Dick in the hands of more talented writers. 
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Primmaster64
    @JonesDeini: I'm sorry? Did I say something wrong?
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Primmaster64:  
    Huh? Oh no, I was agreeing with you that Dick's "Identity Crisis" is a bad plot idea. 
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Primmaster64
    @JonesDeini said:
    @Primmaster64:  Huh? Oh no, I was agreeing with you that Dick's "Identity Crisis" is a bad plot idea. 
    Oh :D Thanks dude XD
    Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
    U R Sofa King We Todd Did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've said it before and i'll say it again, he should be wearing the batman beyond costume but with a blue bat

Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Telcalipoca

the scans 1 and 2 in the first page both depict  dick being his batman in no  way does it show a dick  trying to be like bruce and not like himself. in the fist scan you see dick  getting  facts from gordon with other police officers on the scene in the middle of the street with the news stations and one senator on the opposite side of the yellow line.Dick leaves once he gets the information and the press started shouting questions to batman and his exit is seen and recorded no mystery vanishing act thats 2-3 things bruce would never have done. as for the second scan dick is relaying the info to gordon til they reach the crime scene where his boss will take over so theres little action for him there. the next thing you see him do is smile because gordon made a joke which is 100% a non bruce move. Dick is putting his own spin into the mantle he is wearing though it wasnt his choice to do so and still isnt. BFTC  forced him to wear the mantle so that jason wouldnt tarnish what it meant, and gotham wouldnt let him save her as nightwing she needed batman and he gave her batman being the lady pleaser that he is.Once bruce returned he had intended to return the mantle and gotham back to bruce but bruce wouldnt have it so there he is force to run around in tights with a cape.Though he may not be the original batman there are few men in the world who would be able to  protect gotham like he can and has and even fewer with the amount of heroe exp. to do all the things batman does.For how long he will stay is unkown but i would like for him to go back to being nightwing and protecting another city other than gotham once inc. is over with.no blue rings or some other batnaming sounding mantle or working directly under bruce in gotham but  e willing to lend a hand when its urgent like he did during no mans land, and war games.His Nightwing persona isnt a demotion not when under that mantle hes led the titans,outsiders and the JLA as well as turning down invitations from the JLA..Even before his current gig protecting gotham he once looked over bludheaven where he got rid of a corrupted police system that was a main player in the citys underworld aswell as its only main underworld leader blockbuster.Nightwing is the persona he created and build up its his mantle equally as popular as batman in the heroe community if not more so since dick personality shines.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @The Dark Huntress said:

Pretty much this.Except Bruce has a big mission now and he'll be Batman again after that.
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#93  Edited By StarKiller809

I guess it's only me who thinks that  

Bruce Wayne - Batman 
    Dick Grayson- Nightwing 
    Tim Drake- Red Robin 
    Damiane Wayne- Robin 
    Stephine Brown- Batgirl 
    Cassandra Cain- ??????? (She should go by a new name) 
    Barbra Gordon- Oracle
    batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By batman_is_god
    @StarKiller809 said:

I guess it's only me who thinks that   Bruce Wayne - Batman Dick Grayson- Nightwing Tim Drake- Red Robin Damiane Wayne- Robin Stephine Brown- Batgirl Cassandra Cain- ??????? (She should go by a new name) Barbra Gordon- Oracle

I agree, except there is no definitive Batgirl for me besides Barbara, who is way better as Oracle.
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By VampireSelektor
    @batman_is_god
    All true, although Tim IS smarter. Bruce just has the advantage of experience. I hope that future writers take inspiration from Morrison's run on Batman and Robin and set up Dick to face villains tailored to his character. The Circus of Strange was a brilliant move, whereas Raptor was just awful.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.