How would you put Dick Grayson on the universe of Batman movies

#1 Posted by ManuelPrez (131 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Nolan have made it clear ... no robin on his movies. But Grayson is essential to the Batman character. IF Grayson would be on the movie how would you put it. 
My thoughts: 
1. Young cop (maybe on his 19) who's parents were killed by the mafia  on a circus show. He made himself a costume, fight batman but later knows hes on the good side.  

any idea?

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

No Robin, that's all I care about. >_>;

#3 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly the only member of the 'Bat-Family' I'd put in the Batman universe is Huntress or Barbara Gordon but as Oracle not as Batgirl.

#4 Posted by ManuelPrez (131 posts) - - Show Bio

well how bout we skip the robin and go to the nightwing character and barbara gordon is part of the team with grayson.

#5 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14400 posts) - - Show Bio

nightwing or nothing for me

#6 Posted by Caliber268 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the character should span over a couple movies.  It should start out with him being Robin, taken in by Bruce after his parent's murders, then in the next movie him leaving and becoming Nightwing, like in Nightwing: Year One.  They HAVE to do the characer right, he is my all-time favorite character and everything should be perfect.  Dick is an amazing character, and as Bruce once said, "Dick was born to be in the center ring."
#7 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

If you didn't already know, the Nolans said that Batman 3 is their last Batman film. Someone else can take over for Batman 4 and beyond. 

The way I see it, Robin needs to be used to redeem Batman in the eyes of the Gotham citizens. 

If I had done Batman 3, it would be called Batman: Redemption and it would be a lot like this: 
Batgirl appears at the beginning of the movie, suiting up in her bedroom. She isn't sanctioned by Batman as a crimefighter. She takes down Mr. Zsasz. (Zsasz is out on the loose trying to murder a young woman). Batman then meets Gordon in a secret location and they talk about Zsasz. Gordon congratulates him on taking him down, but Batman denies being a part of it. They realize someone else is out there. Later, Batman takes down Mad Hatter in a quick scene. (Much like Scarecrow's scene in The Dark Knight.) We then see the Penguin take over Maroni's gangs. Edward Nygma (He could be a detective or a reporter or something) goes to the newly fixed-up Arkham and interviews the Joker about being an eccentric villain in comparison to mob bosses. When he leaves, he passes Scarecrow's cell in Arkham. In another scene, Penguin visits Two-Face's secret hospital room and says something to him while he is in a coma. Later, Bruce Wayne and Vicki Vale (Yes, I said Vicki Vale) go to the circus and witness the deaths of Dick Grayson's parents. The murderer is Jocko-Boy Vanzetti. (In this series, Joe Chill and Jocko-Boy are the killers, not Joker and Two-Face.) Batman tracks down Jocko-Boy and beats the crap out of him. Bruce Wayne adopts Dick Grayson because he is feels bad about his parents dying too. Later, Batman meets Riddler and they have a quick fight. Bruce also meets Selina Kyle and becomes interested in her, even though she mysteriously disappears. Riddler and Penguin begin fighting over Gotham City's criminal underground. Bruce then decides to go into Wayne Manor as Batman and confront Dick Grayson. Dick is scared. Batman has Jocko-Boy with him. He asks Dick to take his revenge. Either kill him or decide to prevent things like this from happening again. Dick hesitates and almost chooses killing him but changes his mind. Batman then pulls his cowl off and tells Dick all his secrets and invites him to be his sidekick. Robin goes and creates himself a costume and becomes Robin. In the final battle, Batman and Robin take down Riddler and Penguin. Batgirl shows up and helps but Batman becomes iffy about her presence. He then reluctantly approves her but asks for her to be trained by him along with Robin. Then after all the dust is settled, it shows Talia at a Lazarus Pit and Ra's al Ghul comes back to life. 

It leads into a fourth film with Ra's al Ghul, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy as the main villains and Talia, Clayface, and Harley Quinn as smaller villains. With small appearances by Joker, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, and Two-Face. In the fourth one, Two-Face wakes up and leads into a fifth film where Two-Face wants revenge on Batman. The fifth one also has Robin become Nightwing, Jason Todd as Robin, Mr. Freeze, and Killer Croc.

#8 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing would be good.

#9 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

well actually dick is going to be in batman 3. there is going to be a cameo of him. look it up. And theres going to be one of lex luthor for the future superman movie.

#10 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

i think they should wait till they have establish most of batman's rogues gallery before they even think of bringing him, though i think that when Two face comes back would probably be the best time to bring in robin too, they could take a lot of ideas from Dark Victory if they really wanted to go that route.

#11 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio

1. eliminate the circus aspect, it's just too campy,
2. It would have to be introduced over the course of two movies, with his role starting off as similar to that of the oracle before involving him in action scenes.
3. Make sure their is as much dialogue as possible between Bruce and Dick, before Dick's parents are murdered. 
4. His parents must be eliminated by the mob (I see no reason Zucco would not work) 
5. The youngest he can possibly be introduced is 16 
6. Ensure Dick has a background to martial arts when introducing his character 
7.eliminate bright colors-no yello 
8. This isn't essential and would probably cause controversy, but call him Nightwing from the beginning eliminate the title of Robin altogether. 

This is what I think.

#12 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123: What is your source?
#13 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red_Justice:  i forgot but i have read it somewhere. Either here or at newsarama but i just looked it up on google and theres a lot of sites that say the same thing.

http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=3997
#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24598 posts) - - Show Bio

ive always considered nolan and bale's attitude toward robin as a bit disrespectful, dont get me wrong they make great movies but robin has become an integral part of the batman mythos, without robin you can never have great characters like nightwing or tim drake if they feel the need to make robin older and rush his transition to nightwing a bit thats ok but to completely discount a major part of a characters history because of personal bias shows a lack of respect for the character and the fans
#15 Posted by Rorschach's Soliloquy (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly the way he is in the comics. 12 year old circus acrobat who's taken in by Bruce after his parents died. Of coruse, Bruce would be all angsty after "Dark Knight", but with little Dick wanting revenge, he'd get Bruce to realize that Gotham Batman... and Robin!

#16 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

Whenever that little blonde kid kept popping up in the movies, i thought they were going to introduce dick grayson without a circus background. As someone above already mentioned, his parents were killed by the mob so that's dark enough to fit in with Nolan's direction.

#17 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

Like in Dark Victory.
Same back Story but not used as Robin untill the cave is invaded and he put's on his trapeze outfit to help Batman.
Written properly it woudln't be too stoopid.

#18 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
" If you didn't already know, the Nolans said that Batman 3 is their last Batman film. Someone else can take over for Batman 4 and beyond.  The way I see it, Robin needs to be used to redeem Batman in the eyes of the Gotham citizens.  If I had done Batman 3, it would be called Batman: Redemption and it would be a lot like this: Batgirl appears at the beginning of the movie, suiting up in her bedroom. She isn't sanctioned by Batman as a crimefighter. She takes down Mr. Zsasz. (Zsasz is out on the loose trying to murder a young woman). Batman then meets Gordon in a secret location and they talk about Zsasz. Gordon congratulates him on taking him down, but Batman denies being a part of it. They realize someone else is out there. Later, Batman takes down Mad Hatter in a quick scene. (Much like Scarecrow's scene in The Dark Knight.) We then see the Penguin take over Maroni's gangs. Edward Nygma (He could be a detective or a reporter or something) goes to the newly fixed-up Arkham and interviews the Joker about being an eccentric villain in comparison to mob bosses. When he leaves, he passes Scarecrow's cell in Arkham. In another scene, Penguin visits Two-Face's secret hospital room and says something to him while he is in a coma. Later, Bruce Wayne and Vicki Vale (Yes, I said Vicki Vale) go to the circus and witness the deaths of Dick Grayson's parents. The murderer is Jocko-Boy Vanzetti. (In this series, Joe Chill and Jocko-Boy are the killers, not Joker and Two-Face.) Batman tracks down Jocko-Boy and beats the crap out of him. Bruce Wayne adopts Dick Grayson because he is feels bad about his parents dying too. Later, Batman meets Riddler and they have a quick fight. Bruce also meets Selina Kyle and becomes interested in her, even though she mysteriously disappears. Riddler and Penguin begin fighting over Gotham City's criminal underground. Bruce then decides to go into Wayne Manor as Batman and confront Dick Grayson. Dick is scared. Batman has Jocko-Boy with him. He asks Dick to take his revenge. Either kill him or decide to prevent things like this from happening again. Dick hesitates and almost chooses killing him but changes his mind. Batman then pulls his cowl off and tells Dick all his secrets and invites him to be his sidekick. Robin goes and creates himself a costume and becomes Robin. In the final battle, Batman and Robin take down Riddler and Penguin. Batgirl shows up and helps but Batman becomes iffy about her presence. He then reluctantly approves her but asks for her to be trained by him along with Robin. Then after all the dust is settled, it shows Talia at a Lazarus Pit and Ra's al Ghul comes back to life.  It leads into a fourth film with Ra's al Ghul, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy as the main villains and Talia, Clayface, and Harley Quinn as smaller villains. With small appearances by Joker, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, and Two-Face. In the fourth one, Two-Face wakes up and leads into a fifth film where Two-Face wants revenge on Batman. The fifth one also has Robin become Nightwing, Jason Todd as Robin, Mr. Freeze, and Killer Croc. "
No offense, but it is just a little too much. You have all this stuff and you basically described Batman Forever. Trying to cram so much story and characters just because won't make for a good movie. 

@doordoor123: There is absolutely no truth to this at all. It is just internet sites making up shit to get hits. The truth is that they are writing the movie and it will go through a number of rewrites. Can't say there is going to be a cameo in a movie where they havn't even begun to think about that stuff yet. 

Here is why Nolan doesn't want to do Robin in his Batman movies... He wants it to be about Batman first, adding Robin would just be it's own plot device. If you are thinking about the time that Batman takes place in, it is still fairly early on for Batman. He is not ready to bring someone else in his operations, let along a child. I could see the studio wanting to do this down the road when they feel they have run out of stories, which is why they added Robin to the old Batman movies. If they do add him down the road, I think he needs to be a child. Works best with it that way, especially with raising him up. I never understood the whole teenage version like they did in Batman Forever. The guy is already a grown man in the movie.
#19 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom: I want Robin to be 12 too. But its like what Grant Morrison said. Bruce Wayne became Batman at 19. Dick Grayson was 12 when he became Robin and Batman was only 20 at the time. So after a year, he came around. I just wanted to keep it closer to the comic books.
#20 Edited by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Robin is the best part of the BatUniverse Nolan is just a terd 

#21 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom said:
" @TheMess1428 said:
" If you didn't already know, the Nolans said that Batman 3 is their last Batman film. Someone else can take over for Batman 4 and beyond.  The way I see it, Robin needs to be used to redeem Batman in the eyes of the Gotham citizens.  If I had done Batman 3, it would be called Batman: Redemption and it would be a lot like this: Batgirl appears at the beginning of the movie, suiting up in her bedroom. She isn't sanctioned by Batman as a crimefighter. She takes down Mr. Zsasz. (Zsasz is out on the loose trying to murder a young woman). Batman then meets Gordon in a secret location and they talk about Zsasz. Gordon congratulates him on taking him down, but Batman denies being a part of it. They realize someone else is out there. Later, Batman takes down Mad Hatter in a quick scene. (Much like Scarecrow's scene in The Dark Knight.) We then see the Penguin take over Maroni's gangs. Edward Nygma (He could be a detective or a reporter or something) goes to the newly fixed-up Arkham and interviews the Joker about being an eccentric villain in comparison to mob bosses. When he leaves, he passes Scarecrow's cell in Arkham. In another scene, Penguin visits Two-Face's secret hospital room and says something to him while he is in a coma. Later, Bruce Wayne and Vicki Vale (Yes, I said Vicki Vale) go to the circus and witness the deaths of Dick Grayson's parents. The murderer is Jocko-Boy Vanzetti. (In this series, Joe Chill and Jocko-Boy are the killers, not Joker and Two-Face.) Batman tracks down Jocko-Boy and beats the crap out of him. Bruce Wayne adopts Dick Grayson because he is feels bad about his parents dying too. Later, Batman meets Riddler and they have a quick fight. Bruce also meets Selina Kyle and becomes interested in her, even though she mysteriously disappears. Riddler and Penguin begin fighting over Gotham City's criminal underground. Bruce then decides to go into Wayne Manor as Batman and confront Dick Grayson. Dick is scared. Batman has Jocko-Boy with him. He asks Dick to take his revenge. Either kill him or decide to prevent things like this from happening again. Dick hesitates and almost chooses killing him but changes his mind. Batman then pulls his cowl off and tells Dick all his secrets and invites him to be his sidekick. Robin goes and creates himself a costume and becomes Robin. In the final battle, Batman and Robin take down Riddler and Penguin. Batgirl shows up and helps but Batman becomes iffy about her presence. He then reluctantly approves her but asks for her to be trained by him along with Robin. Then after all the dust is settled, it shows Talia at a Lazarus Pit and Ra's al Ghul comes back to life.  It leads into a fourth film with Ra's al Ghul, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy as the main villains and Talia, Clayface, and Harley Quinn as smaller villains. With small appearances by Joker, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, and Two-Face. In the fourth one, Two-Face wakes up and leads into a fifth film where Two-Face wants revenge on Batman. The fifth one also has Robin become Nightwing, Jason Todd as Robin, Mr. Freeze, and Killer Croc. "
No offense, but it is just a little too much. You have all this stuff and you basically described Batman Forever. Trying to cram so much story and characters just because won't make for a good movie. 

@doordoor123: There is absolutely no truth to this at all. It is just internet sites making up shit to get hits. The truth is that they are writing the movie and it will go through a number of rewrites. Can't say there is going to be a cameo in a movie where they havn't even begun to think about that stuff yet.  Here is why Nolan doesn't want to do Robin in his Batman movies... He wants it to be about Batman first, adding Robin would just be it's own plot device. If you are thinking about the time that Batman takes place in, it is still fairly early on for Batman. He is not ready to bring someone else in his operations, let along a child. I could see the studio wanting to do this down the road when they feel they have run out of stories, which is why they added Robin to the old Batman movies. If they do add him down the road, I think he needs to be a child. Works best with it that way, especially with raising him up. I never understood the whole teenage version like they did in Batman Forever. The guy is already a grown man in the movie. "
lol YEAH. i realized this about 1 month and 4 weeks ago. LOL
#22 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah id just stick with how he became robin in the comics. the closer you stick to the good source material the better itll be. at least in my opinion anyway

#23 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428:  I just don't think they want to do Batman and Robin stories yet and Nolan doesn't want to do them for sure. Honestly, I think WB is chomping at the bit to put Robin in it, after Nolan is done because they look at it as a marketing push toward action figures and toys. The age sort of stuff doesn't really matter because it doesn't need to be exact, especially considering Bale is well over 19 when he started the movies. They rather tell really good Batman stories vs. DC Comic's Batman stories because it is a different medium. 

Robin would actually work better on TV, sort of like Smallville and budget would be lower because they don't need a ton of special effects.
#24 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom said:
"Robin would actually work better on TV, sort of like Smallville and budget would be lower because they don't need a ton of special effects."
You sound like the guys who pitched the show: THE GRAYSONS.
#25 Posted by Chaos Burn (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolanverse Batman is epic, don't ruin it by dipping into the fruity, predictable batcrap..... no Robin please...

#26 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
" @bingbangboom said:
"Robin would actually work better on TV, sort of like Smallville and budget would be lower because they don't need a ton of special effects."
You sound like the guys who pitched the show: THE GRAYSONS. "
It is true, mainly because they don't want to have a Batman tv show or cross with that universe of the movie. Doing a TV show focusing on him would be better and would fit with say CW. Would be a nice fit especially with Smallville ending. Focus on him and becoming Robin and dealing with Gotham. I would even do something were at the end of the season, you have Batman disappear so it is pretty much just Robin dealing with all the crime and what happens then.
#27 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

as the leader in a teen titans film.

#28 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom: They did pitch that show to CW already and it got turned down.\ 

@mr.obvious: That movie is in the works and I think a Teen Titans live action tv show would be cool.
#29 Posted by Daredevilwithoutfear (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Really I do not get all the "Robin" hate here personally I think the time for Dick Grayson to make a appearance right now is perfect... Batman taking the fall for Two Face was one of the Dumbest things that I have ever heard of ... To help Batman/Bruce Reedem his life I think Dick Grayson coming into would be the best most realistic Ideal choice cause think of it..

Rachel is dead the love of Bruce's life.. Harvey Dent went insane became Two Face and is now dead who also was another one of Bruce's friends and that sort of Ordeal really screws with someone alot and I think him meeting the young Dick Grayson and seeing him suffer the same fate as he did will get Bruce in check to once again fight for whats right and learn the City still needs Batman.. Yes it is not my best way of explaining  but most can get what I trying to get across here.. Really Nolan just does not want to Introduce Dick Grayson is #1 Cause he is afraid to loose Bale for the movie as we already herd he is a Selfish Prick and does not want to share the spotlight with another main character of the series and thinks it will turn Campy in which if handled properly it will be awesome and Dick Grayson/ Robin would be sweet..

#30 Posted by War Killer (19953 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not Robin? Or Batgirl? Or any of them? If they're not at least worth trying, then why is any of the others?

#31 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

People think Robin is a kid with a Robin Hood suit. 
Also Batgirl, i dont know, i like more the Oracle thing.
People blame Bale and Nolan, but what works in movies do not work in comics and what it work in comics never work in movies. 
Robin is a better character when he is not Batman side kick and Batman is abetter character when he have no side kicks. 
Also is really hard to belive that a kid could be with Batman. 
The only way it could work is if Batman train Dick, like Ras did with him and send him to Bludheaven. 
And there is no Robin in the movie.

#32 Posted by DEGRAAF (7869 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428:
way to much goin on in your movies. 

I think by the end of the third one they could easily introduce Dick Grayson as a foster child to Bruce Wayne. They could have Bruce dating Vicki in the third one and taking her to see this charity circus show when the Graysons fall. He could have a bigger villain in hte movie but also deal with the killers behind the circus tragedy somewhat quickly. The Graysons death doesnt have to be a whole movie. The riddler could even be investigating it while also being hte main villain. I agree start him at age 10 or some where close. (not trying to put down Christian Bale but i dont think he would make a good Batman to play opposite of Robin or even act as a foster parent. He played a good father in his magic movie (cant think of the name) but after seeing his Bruce Wayne character, it would jsut seem out of character to see him compassionate towards a kid.
#33 Posted by mistrx75 (207 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't.  Keep him out.  I'm not one of those who ever really thought Robin was essential to Batman's story.

#34 Posted by spiderpigbart (2651 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMP!!!!!  If I were to do it, I would not have Grayson as Robin, but Gordon's son.  He had encounters with Batman, and was almost killed by Harvey.  He could be a Tim Drake kind of character, and discover Bruce's identity.

#35 Posted by yankeemanf (192 posts) - - Show Bio

i think when they reboot the batman movei series its inevitable idk when they will do it but they will and i think they r gonna make the series kinda long and inroduce dick and have his parents die and bruce take him in then the next movie have bruce reveal his alter ego as batman and dick ecome robin by the end of the movie the next movie make it a few years in the future around dicks 19th or 20th bday and dick realize by the end of the movie he is sick of bein in bruces shadow and goes off to find himself... then they make a spinoff series bout dick becoming nightwing and then his adventures

#36 Posted by ombla2 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

he should start as Nightwing and attack Batman because he failed to save his parents or something

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.