Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

How good was he at being Batman?

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How good was he at being Batman? (50 votes)

Great 66%
    Adequate 32%
    Subpar 2%

I know this is a question that has been asked a lot, but I figured since it's been years since Dick's been Batman, we can reflect on his run by reviewing everything he's done. How do you all think he performed as Batman? How do you think he compared to Bruce in regards to efficacy? I'm not asking who's your favorite or if anyone else could've done a better job. I just want to see how many readers think Dick Grayson did a good job, an ok job, or a bad job at being the Dark Knight.

As a protector of Gotham, I'd say he was on par with Bruce as a crime fighter. As a member of the Justice League, I'd say he was better than Bruce simply due to his friendly relationships with every member of the league.

• 
    Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much agree with the above, better as Justice League Batman due to the amazing leadership qualities he has/had, as well s his ability to fully trust people. Great as Gotham Batman, but I don't know if i'd say he was equal, because quite simply there wasn't enough time for him to deal with some of the problems Bruce has had to deal with in Gotham, or to see how Dick would've reacted to similar problems that Bruce had. The situations during Knightfall, No Man's Land, and War Games for example, where Gotham was on the brink of collapse, or did actually collapse and Bruce had to rally the troops and bring it back from the edge. However, Dick did take a different approach to defending Gotham which was well received and allowed him a bit more freedom in the city. He worked closely with the police, while at the same time having his base of operations closer to all the action as it were. Some of the ideas he had i'd say were better than those Bruce has had in the past. While he wasn't the same type of crime fighter as Bruce he aptly handled every situation he did have to deal with, and in doing so upheld the legacy of his mentor.

Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great. I'd rather keep Bruce dead so I could have the Dick/Damien duo back.

Avatar image for supermanofsteel
    SuperManofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperManofSteel

I think Dick was great as Batman, but I prefer him as Nightwing.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've only read Morrison's B&R....in that time he was an 'alright' Batman, I guess. Not particularly memorable, but not bad either.

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By nightwingnerd

I think Dick was great as Batman, but I prefer him as Nightwing.

This

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I actually wanted him to stay as batman more i feel his tenure ended very quickly.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Similar to Bucky I really enjoyed Dick getting the mantle and proving to be the New "man".

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually wanted him to stay as batman more i feel his tenure ended very quickly.

I agree. I feel they didn't put a lot of thought into the idea of Bruce Wayne "dying". Unlike with say Jason Todd or even Superman, outside of the actual comic universe it wasn't treated as a big deal. It was really obvious that Bruce was going to return. I mean, leading up to Dick's time as Batman writers were already talking about it, you already knew a Return of Bruce Wayne arc was being worked on and such, and I feel that it just took a lot of enjoyment out of the entire thing. And putting that aside it still feels like they only had Bruce "die" to give Final Crisis some kind of importance as an event, and then just brought him back shortly afterwards. I feel if they're going to kill a character off, and let his mentee/son take over, it should be for 5 years at the least. This is one of the reasons I really do think Wally West as the Flash was handled so well. We saw him struggle with it, grow into the role, and eventually surpass his mentor, while always being sure to honor him. We didn't get the same for Dick. It's like he was Batman for a short year and then that was it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Great imo.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmoothJammin

Take me back

Captain6One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what are all the issues that he has appeared as batman?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#12  Edited By Extremis

Dick's great and all but only Bruce can pull off Batman IMO. Unless its an alternate universe or one-shot.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RustyRoy

@veshark said:

I've only read Morrison's B&R....in that time he was an 'alright' Batman, I guess. Not particularly memorable, but not bad either.

@extremis said:

Dick's great and all but only Bruce can pull off Batman IMO. Unless its an alternate universe or one-shot.

Agree with this.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love him being given that possibility but they played him off as second rate. I felt like he stumbled through most of his fights and detective work. He should have shown as much more adept than he was

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

He had a lot on his plate and he managed alright.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

He did extremely well.

The fact he's not in the same class as Bruce shows just how damn good Bruce is.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did extremely well.

The fact he's not in the same class as Bruce shows just how damn good Bruce is.

Agree with this. Though honestly I think he was also a little underated in general, but he came up against some strange things and did rather well. Also no shame in being second only to Bruce Wayne.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce as Batman is irreplaceable, but Dick as Batman still felt right. The awesome bit was that he came out of the cowl better than he already was. Plus i really liked his relationship with Damian, it was nice.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I enjoyed him as Batman. Nice change to the whole, broody thing! And plus, he was written better and did a little less stumbling then he did in his own series and stories before that.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

He was amazing as Batman but he should stay as Nightwing

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By jumpstart55

He is second only to Bruce, in terms of being a great Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.