Graphic novels with Dick as Robin?

#1 Posted by countstevedoug (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm trying to add to the earlier portion of my Batman collection and I'm noticing my Dick as Robin period is very small: I have Dark Victory, Gauntlet, and Robin:year one. Are there any other TPBs from this point in the continuity I should look for? Also, now that I think of it, my Jason Todd era is slim too--just The Cult and Death in the Family. Any suggestions would be fantastic!

#2 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly wish I could help. My list isn't too different from yours quite honestly. I've always been so interested in learning about golden age Robin and the like, just haven't been bothered to try :l

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Robin: The Teen Wonder
  • Teen Titans: Terra Icognito, Judas Contract etc... I know its not Batman, but still pretty badass.
  • You could always try Showcase, but I'm not convinced that's what you're looking for.
#4 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

So glad my shop is selling back issues of NTT run buy 2 get 1 free, I'm going to invest a hefty amount of my paycheck into collecting every one! Won't find those in trade ;D

#5 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

So glad my shop is selling back issues of NTT run buy 2 get 1 free, I'm going to invest a hefty amount of my paycheck into collecting every one! Won't find those in trade ;D

DAMN RIGHT! Those are pearls right there.

#6 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

Soooo I spent about 70 bucks on Wolfmans bombtastic NTT run. But it was well worth it. Long live the titans!

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

Soooo I spent about 70 bucks on Wolfmans bombtastic NTT run. But it was well worth it. Long live the titans!

Damn straight bro.

#8 Posted by BillyFamine (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing Year One starts off with Dick Grayson as Robin, and it's a double whammy. Has Jason Todd as Robin too to help out that collection.

I'm also thinking of Batman Year 3, although it was never made as a trade, it has lots of flashbacks to Dick as Robin.

The sequel to Batman Year 2, called Full Circle is a small trade, but it has Dick Grayson as Robin taking on The Reaper.

If you're willing to dive into Frank Miller territory, you got All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, and also The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Finally, not trades, but issue 100 of Legends of the Dark Knight will boost your Dick Grayson/Jason Todd collection as Robin, as will the X-Men and Teen Titans crossover.

#9 Posted by richardjohngrayson (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@BillyFamine said:

Nightwing Year One starts off with Dick Grayson as Robin, and it's a double whammy. Has Jason Todd as Robin too to help out that collection.

I'm also thinking of Batman Year 3, although it was never made as a trade, it has lots of flashbacks to Dick as Robin.

The sequel to Batman Year 2, called Full Circle is a small trade, but it has Dick Grayson as Robin taking on The Reaper.

If you're willing to dive into Frank Miller territory, you got All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, and also The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Finally, not trades, but issue 100 of Legends of the Dark Knight will boost your Dick Grayson/Jason Todd collection as Robin, as will the X-Men and Teen Titans crossover.

If you love Dick Grayson don't read anything by Frank Miller.

#10 Posted by BillyFamine (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson said:

@BillyFamine said:

No argument there.

#11 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Yepp. Great stuff. I feel like I pulled em from a time capsule, it's the best :)

@BillyFamine said:

This was very good insight. You have my thanks

@BillyFamine said:

All Star Batman and Robin really that much of a turd eh? Yikes

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@BillyFamine said:

All Star Batman and Robin really that much of a turd eh? Yikes

Its not. Just don't actually look at him as Dick Grayson you know.

#13 Edited by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Fortunate Son !!!

"Punk" is nothing but death... and crime... and the rage of a beast. (Batman)

#14 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall said:

Batman: Fortunate Son !!!

"Punk" is nothing but death... and crime... and the rage of a beast. (Batman)

I hated that.

#15 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp:

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall: You do?

#17 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: This review was great but the book was really bad.

Awful art (but that line about Speedy made me LOL)
#18 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall: Didn't see the review, lol. Thought it was an AMV.

#19 Posted by countstevedoug (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Good suggestions gang. I'd also add batman/scarecrow:fear which reprints detective comics 571 and shows the early relationship between bats and Jason. I'm looking into 'batman in the eighties' which apparently has Dick and Jason. I generally try to stay away from individual issues, but I make exceptions for prestiges, annuals, or issues that don't have ads every other page (batman/scarecrow fear has no ads). But since Jason's origin hasn't been collected I may make some more exceptions. The only series I collect in comic form is Nightwing (just need to track down 7 more issues!), so I do have the year one run. I wouldnt mind having it in trade though--provided I could find it for less than 50 bucks :S It's a bit surprising how sparse this era is. It would be nice if we had some limiteds or on-goings that filled in the blanks. I understand that Batman:Oddessy is set in this time, but I also understand that it is terrible.

#20 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

@HectorSquall: I listened to the entire review, almost stopped it at 22 min lol but I soldiered on for the sake of enlightenment. What a moronic concept by the writer. Funny ass review, btw. The dude who chimes in near the end of the vid with the fedora and electric guitar is spot on.. smh at Rock being some kind of supernatural otherworldly force that corrupts people. A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be, he must be. He must be true to his own nature. It is simply a form of expression..that is all.

#21 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

@HectorSquall:YO You play final fantasy bro???

#22 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: The question is, do you?

#23 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13. Those are the ones I've played, and mostly completed

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: Got me beat. 7, 8, 10, 12 13. 13 wasn't completed. Played a bit of 6 too.

#25 Edited by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: Yeah, this review of Fortunate Son was really funny but the book was kind of stupid IMO.

And to answer your question, yeah I play Final Fantasy, I completed 3,5,6,7,8 and Crisis Core FF7. Played a bit of 1,2,4,9 and 10 too.

Crisis Core and FF8 being my favorites: Zack and Squall are awesome!

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall: You're one of them Zack > Cloud boys eh?

#27 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Well I really like both. Cloud was great in FF7 too but Crisis Core was one of the first FF game I played (FF5 advance being the first) and even if it could have been better, the story and the characters were awesome and the game really blew me away.

It's Crisis Core that really got me interested in Final Fantasy. I played FF7 and FF8 after Crisis Core and even if Cloud, Squall... are great and some of my favorite characters, Zack will always be number 1 for me.

If you want to be a hero you need to have dreams... and honor."Angeal Hewley.

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall: Still need to play it.

#29 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Yeah, you should definitely play it. There is a lot of interesting new characters like Angeal or Genesis and I won't spoil the ending but it's one of the most awesome and touching I've ever seen.

#30 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall: Well, the ending ending is quite apparent. LOL.

#31 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Silly me. Sure if you played FF7 you already know how it ends for Zack but still, they managed to make it even more interesting and touching by expanding the original scene, showing you Cloud's state before it happened and really explaining the details of how and why it happened. It's just awesome.

#32 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall: Yeah, I have a friend that played it and all he can do is go on about it.

#33 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

My local comic shop has all the Batman: Year 3 issues for cover price, and I'd pick them up, but they don't have the first issue.

#34 Edited by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

Hector, REVAMP, Play Final Fantasy Tactics. It has the best story of all of them, I promise. IF you liked 7 based on it's plot, Tactics will move you. Cloud is an unlockable character, and Aeris(th) makes a cameo appearance later on in the game. Honestly don't even play it for that. I recommend War of the Lions on the PSP, I played the classic oldschool version of it on my Playstation 3, still wayyyy ahead of it's time mind you. You can't go wrong either with either choice. I think it's on PSN for like 10 bucks. Pick it up quick! Run muthafucka!!!

#35 Posted by dunkthepunk_123 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi I know Im late but for Dick Gayson you could pick up Batgirl Year One and Teen Titans Year One and for Jason Todd theres Ten Nights of the Beast. Batman the Black Casebook contains some old Batman and Dick Grayson as Robin stories which are sout of in continuity now thanks to Grant Morrison!

#36 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

Man, you're lucky as hell, none of my LCS's carry any Teen Titans books before the 2003 run.

#37 Posted by Z3RO180 (6291 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: whats the one were he goes on a journey that ends with him becomeing nightwing??

#38 Posted by richardjohngrayson (414 posts) - - Show Bio

more than one. Teen Titans :The Judas Contract and Nightwing year one both tell how but in two different ways.

#39 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

There are actually alot of different interpretations of how Dick became Nightwing. He either quits Batman's service, gets fired by Batman, or outgrows the sidekick role and simply rescues his friends from Deathstroke in NTT as NW. It's hard to say

#40 Edited by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush: Yea but what I noticed is they're written by Marv Wolfman with a rotating cast of artists. It's titled, Tales of the Teen Titans and from what I've gathered, is a reprinted series taking place after the first volume of New teen Titans. I want to buy the omnibus but I'm debating whether or not to pull the Batman and Robin trades of the 50's 60's and 70's instead ..each twenty bucks a piece. The omnibus is expensive as fk so idk

#41 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@ReVamp: whats the one were he goes on a journey that ends with him becomeing nightwing??

You can either pick Nightwing: Year One, or you can try finding Tales of the Teen Titans story arc where he becomes Nightwing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.