Do you think Dick Grayson should stay as Nightwing ?

#1 Posted by Kazuma14 (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

I do cause Bruce Wayne's still the Batman and I'm cool with it , aren't you ?

#2 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point? With some thought, no.

Why? Cause DC just isn't interested in making Dick Grayson work or at least him being Nightwing. As a fan, i'm getting fed up with his current portrayal. He keeps his character peronality and stuff intact. That cool. But while Batman remains the same and Red Hood gets buffs from his elements, he gets nothing new or something that last. He's always been the editorial's baseball to making other characters look good. Honestly, It''s annoying. His book was constantly tied to Batman's World only only 3 Arcs without it behind tied to it. 2 were good and one was horrible. He gains a solo title but doesn't benefit much from it? No crossovers in his book. No special arcs. Nothing. Batgirl and Batwoman have their own corner in Gotham but Nightwing can't? Take him away from Gotham and all of a sudden, his book gets cancelled and direction there gone? It's frustrating that a considerable amount of people like it to the point he's one of DC's Best Selling! Everyone has their own little Rogue Gallery but Grayson. When he gets one, they're not memorable, don't last, given to others, etc. He's never really included in actual crossovers that;'re interesting If he has to have a role beyond support. Heck, the Court of Owl story was suppose to a DG Batman story from a rumor I heard. But it was given to Bruce and Calvin Rose.

Not hating on characters. Just tired of characters benefiting from stuff that always seem to originate from him in some form or fashion. It makes no sense for him to be the prime character writer use to steal off of(Like really? Is he that big of a deal now? One minute, he's just support. Next, he's perfect for plot device.). It's weird how writer come out and say this stuff, too. I rather have not known. Some actual interesting storylines and characters didn't get introduced cause editoral wanted Higgins to do certain things instead. Honestly, any book that suffer from this too oughta have a that writer and editorial(whoever is the perp) slapped and focus on telling good stories that are consistent as possible. People who don't even like Nightwing manage to be part of the creative team(In the Shiva filler arc, someone admitted to not liking Nightwing. Really?) to write him. Like really? How in the world did you get them on board? DG suffered from this so much, it's a running gag.

Then it's weird how when he was Robin, people were half embarrassed to use him but had to write him good, anyway! When he was Batman, DC had to give a care for him then. And when fans surprised DC by liking Dick Grayson as Batman, they gave more time to him and let 2 Batmans be around. He's a fan favorite and everything. Has a loyal fanbase. A good push would make him A-List already. His time as Nightwing is always mixed. You have high points and low points. But overall, Pre 52, he was almost to the point he should of been. New 52 pushed him down the ladder a considerable amount. No one will ever truly know why. Dan Didio? Dc not caring? New direction that epically fail? Mistake? Don't know. Nightwing lost so much and it's almost to a point of no return.

If Dick doesn't die in Forever Evil and he does, indeed, get a change, I hope that includes a new alias. They're not willing to make Nightwing work at all. I hope it is something that forces DC to have to take interests on. And something they actually like and fans like too! With Geoff Johns on it, It could be certain. Maybe. I hope DC surprises me and does something for the better! I get tired of him looking like Batman-lite in all the worse ways. For a character who is one of the oldest characters in superhero comics and recognizable as Robin, he sure isn't treated as such. And he has real development behind him! If Green Arrow can look so similar to Batman but be noticeably different enough to be called his own character and even have a TV show but still be in teams and own his own crossovers, why not Grayson? Why should him being in the Justice League or having NW Story Crossovers not happen because Batman's more important? When one of the coolest things about Nightwing is the fact he's fun on teams? It's odd he isn't allowed to join teams cause he's too old for the Teen Titans now but can't be in the JL cause then he'll be right back to taking orders from Bruce on the field. And there's no other team out there he can just join. Brruce should not be having to be dead, teleported through time or sent onto another planet just so his OWN WARD, Grayson, can grow. Ridiculous and silly.

#3 Edited by Kazuma14 (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayaaerow: Sorry , but that's not what I'm saying .

#4 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@kazuma14 said:

@jayaaerow: Sorry , but that's not what I'm saying .

.....I gave a pretty detail explanation. This has to do with Nightwing possibly having a new alias due to Forever Evil, right? If not, your question itself wouldn't make sense. He's Nightwing currently and isn't slated elsewhere but forever evil in a possible name change whatsoever.

Also, what does Bruce being Batman have to do with Grayson being Nightwing? O_o Yeah, he's Batman. And? I don't see why him being Batman can be a determinate in whether or not Richard is Nightwing.

#5 Edited by Xwraith (18176 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#6 Posted by Kazuma14 (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayaaerow: My Bad , I'm just curious that's all .

#7 Posted by Kazuma14 (1250 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by CyberWarrior (1538 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith:

Yes. Kazuma, you happy or what?

#9 Posted by w0nd (3412 posts) - - Show Bio

the wrote him into a corner, they released his identity to the world, took away his income, is he still running around in the one costume he has left thats all stiched up? If he makes it out of this alive, people will be gunning for him and his loved ones like crazy, and idk how they can write his identity being public without someone putting two and two togther about bruce

#10 Posted by RustyRoy (12717 posts) - - Show Bio

He should stay as Nightwing.

#11 Edited by JetiiMitra (8628 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I wouldn't mind if he wasn't Nightwing, but I'd much much rather he stayed Nightwing. I can't stand when a superhero identity is fickle and one transition from Robin to his current identity was enough change for me. Throw in time as Batman, then back to NW, and I'd really rather he didn't change again.

#12 Edited by Vitalius (1947 posts) - - Show Bio

He will be still Nightwing as he will share a tittle with Blue Bird named Nightwing and Blue Bird.

#13 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@vitalius said:

He will be still Nightwing as he will share a tittle with Blue Bird named Nightwing and Blue Bird.

shhhh they're not supposed to know that yet ;P

#14 Edited by Vitalius (1947 posts) - - Show Bio

@smoothjammin:

Actually they should since Harper Row already appeared as Blue Bird on Batman. And i saw the news about Nightwing and Blue Bird comic´s new for while, i think two weeks or last weak

#15 Posted by SupBatz (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but major changes need to be made. And by that I mean that DC should take a nice long long at Pre-Flashpoint Dick Grayson and take a few lessons from there.

#16 Posted by SuperJedi17 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Just let Him get a direction if the NightWing/BlueBird comic is actually happening, stupid editors ruined every chance of direction for dick(everything was burned down till he got to Chicago,since they can't burn chi town,they cancelled his series).....hmmm....hey.....wait a minute...... Isn't Didio an editor?

#17 Edited by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer that he remain as Nightwing since that's my favorite alias of his, but in the long run it doesn't matter as long as the character's personality and history remains intact. Like @jayaaerow mentioned in his post, a lot of elements that pre-52 Nightwing had were taken from him after Flashpoint. His friends in the superhero community are either gone or they're now with other teams, his relationship with other Bat-family members doesn't seem as close as before, his rogues are taking on other heroes (Deathstroke vs Tim Drake's team, Brutale vs Blue Beetle, Lady Vic vs Batwing, etc.), and his origins have been revamped for the worse. I believe that Higgins was on the right track with his Chicago run because Dick Grayson finally felt like an upbeat character again and he was encountering a villain who actually had a big impact on the city. It just sucks that the book is getting canceled and the recent momentum will be lost.

Even if Dick picks a new alias, I would be fine as long as the writers/editors remember what's actually important to the character himself.

#18 Posted by JayAaerow (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@alak said:

I would prefer that he remain as Nightwing since that's my favorite alias of his, but in the long run it doesn't matter as long as the character's personality and history remains intact. Like @jayaaerow mentioned in his post, a lot of elements that pre-52 Nightwing had were taken from him after Flashpoint. His friends in the superhero community are either gone or they're now with other teams, his relationship with other Bat-family members doesn't seem as close as before, his rogues are taking on other heroes (Deathstroke vs Tim Drake's team, Brutale vs Blue Beetle, Lady Vic vs Batwing, etc.), and his origins have been revamped for the worse. I believe that Higgins was on the right track with his Chicago run because Dick Grayson finally felt like an upbeat character again and he was encountering a villain who actually had a big impact on the city. It just sucks that the book is getting canceled and the recent momentum will be lost.

Even if Dick picks a new alias, I would be fine as long as the writers/editors remember what's actually important to the character himself.

I do, too. But him having a new alias could be potentially exciting and stuff If done right. And maybe finally give him an edge that separates him from the rest of the Batfamily, seeing as most of their writers like to take things from his toybox such as rogues and history(And he was called "redundant". LOL.) And also use him to elevate other characters.

Also, what he really needs is being prominently featured as a character with a writer that isn't a "Bat-Writer.". That's been his main problem. Every writer he gets are more often then not Bat-Writers. Or very closely affiliated with one. He can't ever escape the Bat Shadow if Bat-Writer have the ultimate say-so all the time. And Bat-Writers are mixed with him. Some like Kyle Higgins and Peter Tomasi aren't afraid of showing him being competent and being of use. Others like Tynion(from what he said) and others I can't remember right now have honestly thought he's no better then being support(You can tell they read SO MANY New Teen Titans/Nightwing Comics. *Rolls Eyes* And we're not even getting into the times he was Batman, Lead the Justice League, Outsiders, etc. It's amazing how they miss that S*&% cause they're too into looking at the big icons to see the other characters(Titans Characters))

This is why Jason Todd is able to go in crossovers and not even be hindered by Bat Crossovers. Surprisingly, it's cause he started being written by Scott Lobdell. Not a Bat-Writer(And should stay away from it.) If Jason is statistically the least likeable Robin but good enough as Red Hood to get consistent writing in the least and magic swords and a plot line dedicated him being the chosen one(This stuff is like "O.o WAHT? This is new."), Then DG shouldn't be overlook for getting nice storylines in which he could take center stage or support for other chatacters and actually be written to contribute to the plotline in a significant perspective(And not be used like he is in Forever Evil, which is a huge facepalm with the interviews & solicits =/= what's being shown).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.