Do you relate with your favorite character?

#1 Edited by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I put this in DG forum b/c quite frankly I gravitate toward certain characters more then others, and Grayson is one dude I'll always identify with. Ever since I can remember, Robin(I) was always the guy. Watching Saturday AM cartoons, trampolining, and falling in love with the Mighty Morphin Power rangers own Kimberly were typical childhood rituals for me. When I played Batman on the Super Nintendo my family thought I was weird because I chose to play as Robin over Bats everytime.lmao.

One Christmas I recieved a Batman Forever robin action figure and I remember adoring it, despite my cousin's insistence the Batman he was given blew my crummy toy out of the water. Who cared.. I was happy, and that's all that mattered. BTAS had grown on me, and the more I watched the show, the more I could empathize with this Dick Grayson kid.

For instance. He grew up under the big top, and while I'm no carny trouper my family has always been a bit of a circus(ba-da-bum!). All joking aside. I've practiced gymnastics since age 5. If my siblings are the storm, then I was the calm; an optimist. My favorite color has always been blue! I've often felt like I lived under my older brother's shadow. Yeah, I said it. :) He was like my surrogate father. The worldy experience he brought was a blessing and every example he set helped gear me. But I didn't want to grow up to be like him. I was no jock, my fashion sense was completely dork and there was no way I could measure up to big bro's street smarts. Or his business savvy. It wasn't long until I overcame this teenage rut but I hope you get the idea.

I became a full fledged fan when my Father picked this badboy up for me at a random garage sale.

I called him bluejay at first b/c I was 8-yrs old and such were my critical thinking skills. I knew it was Dick underneath, and I understood he shed the robin persona because Tim was the new partner, so I put 2 and 2 together and that's just how the cookie crumbled xD. It wasn't until I became further acquainted with The New Batman Adventures that I learned the exact reasons behind why he changed his identity, and what he'd done after his stint as Robin had ended.The fridge logic was a little too much for me. I marked out hard, man, like a friggin Cena fanboy on acid during an episode of WWE Monday Night Raw. Was never quite the same. These are the rantings of a madman. I could list a million reasons why Nightwing is such a boss but I'd die happier knowing whether you guys feel a connection to the characters you support in comics. Carpe Diem everybody, and plz don't forget to comment!

#2 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesomeness. I do, definitely.

#3 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

in a way

I love Ted Kord, and for me, his origin would be the way i want to get into the business. Ted takes up the mantle after being asked, and that's what i want, to be asked to be a hero.

also, Ted morale's are some of the best in the business and i respect dearly

#4 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

In some ways yes

#5 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

i absolutely love nightwing as well theirs a song lyrics that describes him (and me) perfectly

"im suppossed to be the soldier who never loses composure even though i bare the weight of the whole worl on his shoulders"

dick grayson is that perfect eternal optimist who'll never let anything bring him down, who even superpowered heroes depend on. not to sound cocky, but im definitely similar

#6 Posted by BatWatch (2612 posts) - - Show Bio

Bluejay would have actually been a pretty good name for Dick.

I definitely relate to Tim. His methodical and careful way of pursuing criminals is the way I would like to be if I were a crime fighter.

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Bumping for awesomness.

#8 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim is ok I guess. A little stale for my tastes

#9 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

He's totally different from the other Robins. Totally.

#10 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@SmoothJammin said:

I totally bond with Tim the most out of the family. I feel like I have so much to live up to, yet I know my potential and talent will never truly be noticed until its too late. 

Plus, when I want to be alone, I freaking want to be alone. /points to Red Robin: The Grail and everyone who tried to bring him back either was decked, kicked in the stomach, or left in tears.
#11 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I've also taken classes for, and occasionally practice Capoira, a martial art Dick heavily relies on for his unique fighting style.

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

@ReVamp said:

@SmoothJammin said:

I totally bond with Tim the most out of the family. I feel like I have so much to live up to, yet I know my potential and talent will never truly be noticed until its too late. Plus, when I want to be alone, I freaking want to be alone. /points to Red Robin: The Grail and everyone who tried to bring him back either was decked, kicked in the stomach, or left in tears.

Yeah. Dick on the otherhand, is the potential he has, but can never live up to his mentor and feels overshadowed by him.

#13 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: Totally true. It's probably why, when he grew too old for Robin, he left Bruce's side and became Nightwing. Then again, I don't know the real reason, but I always assumed that much.
#14 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect: Well, he wasn't really with Batman when he originally became Nightwing. Originally.

#15 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@RainEffect said:

@ReVamp said:

@SmoothJammin said:

I totally bond with Tim the most out of the family. I feel like I have so much to live up to, yet I know my potential and talent will never truly be noticed until its too late. Plus, when I want to be alone, I freaking want to be alone. /points to Red Robin: The Grail and everyone who tried to bring him back either was decked, kicked in the stomach, or left in tears.

Yeah. Dick on the otherhand, is the potential he has, but can never live up to his mentor and feels overshadowed by him.

I think Dick with a little more training can potentially be better than batman.He was at a really high physical condition when he was just 9.

Anyway back to the thread.I can relate to Nightwing because My parents worked as acrobats in the circus(No lie).As a baby I would live in the trailer and interact with animals that could've eaten me.As I grew older I developed more acrobatic skill and became good at parkour and that's the reason why I can relate with Dick Grayson.I just Wished someone would have killed my parents while they were preforming So I could've been adopted by a Billionaire Crime-fighter ):

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Not within the main DCU.

#17 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

my favourite character is Bart Allen and I used to just talk really quickly, it annoyed people.

but that was a very good post!

#18 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

: Haha, you mean Capoeira, right? Sincerely, I don't know where the hell did writes take the idea of saying Dick's learned it cause his fight style has nth to do with it. Maybe a few pirouettes and some leaps XD

But, anyway, cool!

And, answering the main question of the topic, I guess everybody relates to their favorite(s) character(s)...or at least they have sth that we'd like to have as well. I mean, they're our favorites for a reason, right? It'd be nice to a prodigy, like Tim hehe.

#19 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

Me and emma frost have so much in common

#20 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't really say i relate to Cyclops all that much, sure I approach serious issues logically when I can see the whole picture and I believe that the ends justifies the means almost indefinitely, but more than anything else I respect the man more than almost more than anybody fictional or real, I know I could never sacrifice what he's sacrificed to protect his people, I know I could never exercise the discipline he does and I know I could never face up to the decisions that have to be made when the pressure is that high, and the fact that he does all of this and more on a regular bases as all the pleasures of friendship slip away from him because he's done what nobody else could ever do has always awed and inspired me, it's always left me feeling shocked and inadequate and questioning my own morality and how far I would go without breaking under the training or the responsibility. In my mind Cyclops is the leader every leader needs to be self sacrificing and focused to a fault.

In several shallow ways I relate to my second favorite character Mr. Terrific, I'm atheist, I like to think I'm smart, I'm black. More than any other character I always wanted to be Mr. Terrific, to be rich successful, fit, smart, respected and as of late nailing Power Girl. Much like Cyclops I always respected Mr. Terrific but unlike Cyclops I always envied him also because I can't really relate because he's better than me.

When I started reading comics my third favorite character Tim Drake was my age, and unlike my first two I could actually relate to him pretty easily, he's the guy who stayed up all night reading a book or searching the internet, an intellectual who had a ballsy under layer, a guy who could snap at Lobo or worse Batman and be listened too. He wanted to be alone sometimes and I can really relate to that

#21 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

I can sorta relate to cap. I have some of his morals I think.

#22 Posted by longbowhunter (7049 posts) - - Show Bio

Jack Knight Starman is one of my favorite characters because he is so easy to relate to. He's definitely the most human of all superheros. But like Jack I am a punk rock kid all grown up and a life long collector.

#23 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man and Iceman are two of my favorites that I relate to very well. Like them I am intelligent and a smart-ass. I can be lazy like Iceman and can find some Parker luck. I play more of a leading role in my group of friends, so that's a little different from Iceman. I think I'm more like Peter than Bobby I guess. I have a little Johnny Storm in me too, with my lack of taking a lot of things seriously.

I guess in the end I relate to smart, young, funny characters. I'm a big Dick Grayson fan too, I find his evolution to be one of the greatest things in DC and comics in general.

#24 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@X9: I actually do think Capoeira is an appropriate crosstraining for Dick's unique fighting style. It utilizes acrobatics, great cardio, strong legs and finesse. This guy down here has traces of Nightwing written all over him~

#25 Edited by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

more or less i am like spider-man and deadpool funny,smartass, lazy and have problems just like these two.

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01 said:

more or less i am like spider-man and deadpool funny,smartass, lazy and have problems just like these two.

Man, that sounds just like me.

#27 Posted by Trodorne (2584 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel more often than not that I am like Dick Grayson, I believe in the good of all people but not afraid to get down and dirty when i have too. my moral compass is what guides me. I have a weakness for red heads, I don't know why but i do. Came close to being engaged to a woman i cared for when it all fell apart. Work is my focus and drive but when i can try to have fun and teach the idea that life can not be so serious all the time. There is work and then there is personal life.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.