Do I need background knowledge?

#1 Edited by OKO360 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking of reading the New 52 Nightwing, is it necessary to read up on his background such as "Nightwing year one" and other earlier comics to understand this new run?

#2 Posted by MissJ (428 posts) - - Show Bio

No need! Originally, the Bat books were going to retain old history, but that changed pretty early in the run. The core is still there (Nightwing used to be Robin, Tony Zucco killed his parents, etc) but the timeline has changed, he was never a Teen Titan, he has a different costume (the blue suit "never existed" in the New 52 continuity), and some key parts of his pre-reboot past (like Bludhaven) never happened.

So...read them if you just want more Nightwing stories, but they're not at all necessary to jump into this run.

Staff
#3 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so, but it may end up being that you do. There's a lot of information from Dick's past that still hasn't been expanded on, but has been hinted at (such as his relationships with both Kori and Barbara, him becoming Nightwing, working with Damian, teaming up with other heroes, etc.) DC may completely retcon some of it, change it slightly, or keep it exactly the same. At the moment, you should be fine. Maybe pick up Year One and a few of the graphics with Dick as Batman.

#4 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

While I would really recommend for you to read his pre-52 series, those issues are not necessary when it comes to understanding Nightwing. Higgins did a good job talking about his character, and even bringing up the important bits of his past.

#5 Edited by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@oko360: Were you able to read up on the series? If so, what did you think of it?

I felt like issues 7-9 really came on, overall the entire run is very consistent imo

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.