Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9484 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Dissapointed

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By redwingx

I was really hoping that DC would use this reboot as a launch pad to redefine their characters. While that has certainly happened to certain characters, Dick Grayson remains untouched. I want to see him elevated to the heights that we all know he can reach. He was the Batman!

Look at the difference; Nightwing is tracking down a talented assassin, Batman is rooting out a secret organization of Elite, politically motivated super assassins whose roots are so deep in Gotham, he might not be able to untangle them. See the difference?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmoothJammin

From what I understand, these first few arcs for Nightwing are to establish a rogues gallery(something he's never really had much success with), and then I think he returns in time for things to heat up in Gotham. Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins have this big magnificent plan all mapped out, just be patient :)

Deep_Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Deep_Six

Some of the retcons though, I'll agree are ridiculous. The Robin's histories, ages, etc

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@Deep_Six said:

Some of the retcons though, I'll agree are ridiculous. The Robin's histories, ages, etc

O_O the time frame is just mind boggling lol They are like power rangers now, every year you have a new robin and then they age like 3-4 years during that small period of time. Not to mention each robin was substantially younger than the next

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

Why is the Nightwing symbol Red?! Dick is Jason's anti thesis, hence "Red" Hood and his current "red" bat insignia. Dick should be blue period......

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmoothJammin

@yumyumbubblegum: I gotta agree with you there. Blue complemented him so well didn't it? I guess what they're doing is touching on the ex-sidekicks ties to their robin days. I keep telling myself that maybe his red leotard is temporary, and these events are only flashbacks like we're seeing in JLA and action comics.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Kairan1979

I'm disappointed by his new love interest. I'm a fan of Dick/Babs pairing, and I really hope that his childhood sweetheart is working for the bad guys.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Dick was never the Batman, Dick was some guy running around in a Batman suit.  

Nightwing is who he is. It'll take a while for Higgins to get used to writing the character as well, he'll start having more epic stories soon. 

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mayo88m

@redwingx: I disagree. I think they are working to make Nightwing a greater character than he has been previously. Yes he only has some unknown assassin tracking him down, but you failed to mention the larger conspiracy hinted at in Issue #2 with Haley's Circus, or how that Assassin may be involved in that. In some ways this arc even parallels the arc of Batman with the ancient order conspiracy going on.Also, how they are distancing him from Batman somewhat. I particularly like how they make certain to mention that he's moved into the slums to live with and get to know the people he's protecting. So, I wouldn't downplay Nightwings comic like that just yet. At least give it time to grow.

As for those saying the time line is mind boggling and dumb. You do realize that just because Justice League is set five years prior that it doesn't mean the capes and super heroes haven't been around longer than that right? Justice League is just the starting point of that particular group coming together. Someone in another thread even pointed out how Hal mentioned "You mean you're real," the first time he meets Batman. This kind of entails that Batman is already kind of a legend in his own right by then, meaning he's been around awhile. So, you can't really say the time line makes no sense because you don't know what the time line even is. Batman could have been operating just as long as before for all we know.

Edit: I eat crow on the time line portion. After reading Nightwing #3 it's apparent that there is a five year span for all the Robins. Actually less than that considering in the opening panels it says Dick was still a member of Haley's circus at the five year mark. So yeah, it is kind of mind boggling how they squeezed three Robins in that quickly. Not only that, but with such a high rate of seeming failure, why would Batman put his own flesh and blood at risk by letting him dawn the garb? Craziness.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By jrock85

Nightwing has been one of the best of the new 52.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Mayo88m: In my own head canon I refuse to believe any of that 5 year Robin nonsense. It just doesn't make much sense, cramming all that history together. I stick with the pre-reboot origins for Batman timelines, lol

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By ReVamp

I don't feel that way. Dick Grayson is uncovering problems that have been at the root of Haly Circus since he was a child. Its like when Bruce is fighting against the something to do with his parents.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmoothJammin

@SmoothJammin said:

From what I understand, these first few arcs for Nightwing are to establish a rogues gallery(something he's never really had much success with), and then I think he returns in time for things to heat up in Gotham. Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins have this big magnificent plan all mapped out, just be patient :)

He's about to face off with Talon, and rescue the mayor of Gotham. Nightwing is going to be a symbol of hope in Gotham while Batman represents fear and vengeance. Scott and Kyle are putting special interest in the relationship between Bruce and Dick so don't worry. Can't say I never told you so xD

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ReVamp

I do add that I'd love to see Dick Grayson become more defined in the book, much like Tim, Jason and Bruce have been.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.