Dick Grayson in the DC Universe

#1 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I know you fanboys believe Batman will never be surpassed, so instead I'll this question:   

Where do you believe Dick Grayson stands in the DC Universe? Ability-wise, I mean, in terms of intellect, detective skills, and martial arts prowess?

#2 Posted by Valas (23 posts) - - Show Bio

While dick is not bruce, given time dick will become incredibly skilled once he fully grows into the cowl. still i believe he is one of the most underrated characters in DC, in terms of how fans view him, not in how he is portrayed in the comics.

#3 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by tensor (4641 posts) - - Show Bio

bruce shadow is too much for him i think instead of taking up the mantle they should have branch him off better with his own little gears an ride other than that he is top notch good detective great fighter  he can hold his own but certain things he fall short on an ppl expect him to have it but he is not bruce

#5 Posted by Mrs. Tim Drake (268 posts) - - Show Bio

when it comes to fighting, Dick is one of the best. 
However, out of all of Bruce's "kids" he is second place for his detective skills. Tim Drake is obviously first. Dick himself has stated this a bunch of times. 
he's also loved by everyone in the DCU. forget where i read it, but someone said it that everyone loves Dick Grayson and trusts him with their lives. 
And he's super smart.

#6 Posted by Darksied (110 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mrs. Tim Drake  

Batman said that in Infinite Crisis. 

Dick looks pretty Scrawny compared to Bruce and most other Street fighters and seems to be more in the speed genre.
#7 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darksied: Dick is right up there in strength with Bruce, I'd say he's the strongest of Bruce's son's. I mean he supported 1,000 lbs during no man's land. His physique isn't a good indicator of his physcial strength.
#8 Posted by AMS (1387 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is like the charismic and popular version of Batman, what he lacks in dectective skills he makes up with his social skills, see Dick could be a natural leader of heroes like Superman where people want him to lead an to unite around where as Bruce rules out of fear.
#9 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio
@AMS said:
" Dick is like the charismic and popular version of Batman, what he lacks in dectective skills he makes up with his social skills, see Dick could be a natural leader of heroes like Superman where people want him to lead an to unite around where as Bruce rules out of fear. "
Also Dick isn't lacking in detective skills, he's not on par with Bruce or tim but he's easily in the top 10. He sat on Barbara's couch eating cereal solving americas most wanted cases just watching tv.
#10 Posted by AMS (1387 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91: 

QFT he may not be Bruce or Tim but he still better than 90% of the rest of DCU.
#11 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio
@AMS: Yes he is, he's intellegent it's just something most people don't associate with dick.
#12 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91 said:
" @AMS said:
" Dick is like the charismic and popular version of Batman, what he lacks in dectective skills he makes up with his social skills, see Dick could be a natural leader of heroes like Superman where people want him to lead an to unite around where as Bruce rules out of fear. "
Also Dick isn't lacking in detective skills, he's not on par with Bruce or tim but he's easily in the top 10. He sat on Barbara's couch eating cereal solving americas most wanted cases just watching tv. "

When did this happen? and bruce is probably twice as strong since he lifted a totem pole on a broken leg (2000 lbs).
#13 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: During his solo series, and with that feat, I beleive his suit also plays a part in that.
#14 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is supposedly the linchpin of the DCU, which is why they were planning on killing him in Infinite Crisis. He is THE sidekick, and the first one to really grow up and move on. His leadership skills surpass Batman, though his detective skills don't, however he's as much a player as Bats, and he arguably has just as many girlfriends, if not more.
PS the "arguably" is bolded if you guys find otherwise.

#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Jason was the strongest, Tim was the smartest and Dick was the most agile/fastest?

#16 Posted by velle37 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
"@nightwing91 said:
" @AMS said:
Also Dick isn't lacking in detective skills, he's not on par with Bruce or tim but he's easily in the top 10. He sat on Barbara's couch eating cereal solving americas most wanted cases just watching tv. "
When did this happen? and bruce is probably twice as strong since he lifted a totem pole on a broken leg (2000 lbs). "

#17 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64:
No, Jason's the most belligerent, as well as the one most likely to use traps as misdirection.
#18 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because people believe Bruce is superior to Dick in terms of fighting ability, intelligence and detective work doesn't make them fanboys, it would make them correct, actually. 

Dick has been described as the Heart of the DCU, and I think that is a more than apt description. He's not the best at anything (aside from acrobatics), but he is nevertheless the one guy you always want, and can always depend on to be, in your corner.

#19 Posted by velle37 (6059 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91 said:
" @AMS: Yes he is, he's intellegent it's just something most people don't associate with dick. "

He does have the whole Jean Francois Champollion deal down.........
#20 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darksied: 

Another part from Infinite Crisis: When Superman-2 tries to recruit Batman to his side, Bruce stops him by asking a single question.

"Is Dick Grayson a better man in your world than in ours?"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.