Dick Grayson & Donna Troy

#1 Posted by Nightwing1387 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I've been reading comics for years, a fan since I was old enough to read but I've always wondered why I never saw Dick and Donna as a couple. I know they've always played off as having a brother/sister relationship but just some of the stories and the way the characters interact and how practically devoted she is to following him makes me wonder if there is something more underneath it all. I really started to wonder about all this after the last rendition of the Justice League where Dick was Batman and Donna as always is his second in command. I gotta know, am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing this pairing especially with it being possible with the New 52?

#2 Posted by Trodorne (2596 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing1387: You are not far off. but then again I love just about anything with Dick Grayson. Donna Troy is a great woman but at the same time i think it should be one of those friend type relationships which they have respect and love for each other. but a line they would never cross. you know have an issue where they hook up for a single night after a wild super party. but thats about it.

#3 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12233 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always wanted a Dick-Donna relationship also! I thought those two were way better together than any other couple they both had, respectively. Unfortunately, with Donna being written out of existence (for now, I hope) in the N52 there is no chance of them ever being together. From what I've gathered, I think they're going to try to push for a Dick-Gordon relationship. Which I'm ehhh about. I'd even settle for Dick-Starfire again, if Donna doesn't come back.

#4 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing1387 said:

Ok, I've been reading comics for years, a fan since I was old enough to read but I've always wondered why I never saw Dick and Donna as a couple. I know they've always played off as having a brother/sister relationship but just some of the stories and the way the characters interact and how practically devoted she is to following him makes me wonder if there is something more underneath it all. I really started to wonder about all this after the last rendition of the Justice League where Dick was Batman and Donna as always is his second in command. I gotta know, am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing this pairing especially with it being possible with the New 52?

Your not entirely wrong,as back during the early issues of his previous Nightwing series when he was under the influence of Scarecrow's fear toxin, he did hallucinate of a world where he was in face married to Donna.Howevver a relationship between the two would certainly be interesting change of pace for Dick outside the frequent, Starefire and Barbara Gordon cycle.

#5 Posted by Nightwing1387 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing91: See I remember that Issue and I think the fact that they are so close I mean I remember a few moments in the 1st Titans volume that just the way they talked and were portrayed seemed very intimate even for best friends. I think also that him and Donna might work in a way that Bruce and Diana never did because of the difference in personalities. I would love to see this pair eventually even if it didnt last just because I think the characters can really show a different aspect of themselves and I agree completely that it would be different than the back and forth go around with Starfire and Batgirl which dont get me wrong they are great in their own right.

#6 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing1387 said:

@nightwing91: See I remember that Issue and I think the fact that they are so close I mean I remember a few moments in the 1st Titans volume that just the way they talked and were portrayed seemed very intimate even for best friends. I think also that him and Donna might work in a way that Bruce and Diana never did because of the difference in personalities. I would love to see this pair eventually even if it didnt last just because I think the characters can really show a different aspect of themselves and I agree completely that it would be different than the back and forth go around with Starfire and Batgirl which dont get me wrong they are great in their own right.

There's a issue of Teen Titans where he mentions he loves her more then he ever could if they were romantically evolved. And he loves her so much that the love is developed into a brother/sister relationship. It would be odd for how much they have stated there like family to being a relationship together.

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

If he was to marry some Super-Powered individual, I'd like it to be Donna not Kory. All I hate to say on the subject.

#8 Posted by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

During Who is Donna Troy Nightwing mentions how lucky Terry Long was to have a gal like her. You can tell by the dialogue that he'd clearly developed feelings for Donna but respected the relationship she had with her then-fiance. I always liked the idea of the boy wonder and wonder girl hitting it off. They need to drop Dick/Babs. We've seen it already

#9 Edited by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

During Who is Donna Troy Nightwing mentions how lucky Terry Long was to have a gal like her. You can tell by the dialogue that he'd clearly developed feelings for Donna but respected the relationship she had with her then-fiance. I always liked the idea of the boy wonder and wonder girl hitting it off. They need to drop Dick/Babs. We've seen it already

which issue? As he mentions in the same arc his love to her had become greater then it ever could if she was his lover, and it had moved toward sibling level. It's an interesting idea, but it just seems creepy to go from referring to themselves to brother and sister to entering into a relationship, especially with any kind of sexual relationship. I like it the way is.

Personally I dont't think we've seen enough of Dick and Babs keep in mind they never actually dated until No Man's Land(as before that Dick was younger, and Babs never really gave him the time of day) if anything Dick and Starefire should be dropped. It's been done to death, and there is very little in the way of stories that can be told from it at this point.

Edit:Found it.

#10 Posted by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing91: Far as I can remember, their on and off relationship was emphasized all throughout Nightwing's ongoing, especially during Dixon's run. Dick was always the love puppy who tolerated her bi-polar tendencies and it irritated me how stubborn she could be. We're seeing glimpses of that again in the new 52. She's a b!tch over in Batgirl and a sweetheart in the Nightwing series. Hot and cold. I agree with the platonic relationship Dick shares with Donna. Part of me just always thought that growing up in the TT, it was a cute gimmick for them and that maybe it would've worked out better than it did when Roy hooked up with Donna. It might've elevated both characters but ideally it's also rare for a good looking guy to be best friends with a beautiful girl. There's something special about that. Kori can hook up with Mr. Terrific for all I care lol. Dick should be over her. Cross Raya's name off the list too, he already signed that ass. I'm still waiting for PG to crash land on Earth 1.. maybe... just maybe..

#11 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@nightwing91: Far as I can remember, their on and off relationship was emphasized all throughout Nightwing's ongoing, especially during Dixon's run. Dick was always the love puppy who tolerated her bi-polar tendencies and it irritated me how stubborn she could be. We're seeing glimpses of that again in the new 52. She's a b!tch over in Batgirl and a sweetheart in the Nightwing series. Hot and cold. I agree with the platonic relationship Dick shares with Donna. Part of me just always thought that growing up in the TT, it was a cute gimmick for them and that maybe it would've worked out better than it did when Roy hooked up with Donna. It might've elevated both characters but ideally it's also rare for a good looking guy to be best friends with a beautiful girl. There's something special about that. Kori can hook up with Mr. Terrific for all I care lol. Dick should be over her. Cross Raya's name off the list too, he already signed that ass. I'm still waiting for PG to crash land on Earth 1.. maybe... just maybe..

It was and through Birds of Prey but they didn't begin a real relationship until around No Man's Land happened in the late 90's(the relationship really isn't that old).Donna and Roy's hook up never really worked for me personally, it just would always seem weird for a relationship to form between most Titans. And I agree, I feel Dick and Kori have reached their ending point, I just don't see anything new being created from that relationship.

#12 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing1387 said:

Ok, I've been reading comics for years, a fan since I was old enough to read but I've always wondered why I never saw Dick and Donna as a couple. I know they've always played off as having a brother/sister relationship but just some of the stories and the way the characters interact and how practically devoted she is to following him makes me wonder if there is something more underneath it all. I really started to wonder about all this after the last rendition of the Justice League where Dick was Batman and Donna as always is his second in command. I gotta know, am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing this pairing especially with it being possible with the New 52?

I wouldn't mind it. Here's how I see it though. Every guy has that one girl who has it all. Beauty, intelligence, a sense of humor, they share a connection, etc. but he's just friends with that girl and never anything more. Really I think that pic of DIck searching for Donna's past sums it up. "I knew I did love her, more than I ever could if I were only her lover." There was probably a point where it could've happened, but it didn't for whatever reason. Now they've past the point of lovers. They have something deeper that being lovers, while it would be amazing for both of them, would still be less than what they have. . Its one of the many reasons why I think Donna always has to exist, if for nothing else than because of what she means to so many characters. She's one of the most important women in Dicks life, so for her not to exist is a tragedy. Kori made him a man, Babs challenges him and Donna's always there for him.

#13 Edited by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting question here. Does anyone else think both Dick and Donna's popularity would have soared in the 80's and 90's even more if Starfire had swapped positions with Wonder Girl and became the platonic best friend of Dick's since the TT? (So Donna will have been the true love and Kori his bff growing up) I think they really missed out on a great opportunity there...

'

#14 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

Interesting question here. Does anyone else think both Dick and Donna's popularity would have soared in the 80's and 90's even more if Starfire had swapped positions with Wonder Girl and became the platonic best friend of Dick's since the TT? (So Donna will have been the true love and Kori his bff growing up) I think they really missed out on a great opportunity there...

'

Agreed my friend. Agreed.

#15 Posted by X9 (767 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick and Donna are more like siblings... it's a wonderful relationship they have, but it's not romantic.

And honestly, I don't think it's gonna be

#16 Posted by DEGRAAF (7904 posts) - - Show Bio

While i think it would be interesting i would rather it stay as very close siblings. They love each other but in a protective caring kind of way, not wanting to be with each other but being a protective brother or sister when it comes to who the other dates

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

While i think it would be interesting i would rather it stay as very close siblings. They love each other but in a protective caring kind of way, not wanting to be with each other but being a protective brother or sister when it comes to who the other dates

While I agree, I still love the idea of "what if Starfire and Donna were switched" introduced above.

#18 Posted by DEGRAAF (7904 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@DEGRAAF said:

While i think it would be interesting i would rather it stay as very close siblings. They love each other but in a protective caring kind of way, not wanting to be with each other but being a protective brother or sister when it comes to who the other dates

While I agree, I still love the idea of "what if Starfire and Donna were switched" introduced above.

I wouldnt mind seeing that play out either. I think it would work either way and still be a good story

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

@ReVamp said:

@DEGRAAF said:

While i think it would be interesting i would rather it stay as very close siblings. They love each other but in a protective caring kind of way, not wanting to be with each other but being a protective brother or sister when it comes to who the other dates

While I agree, I still love the idea of "what if Starfire and Donna were switched" introduced above.

I wouldnt mind seeing that play out either. I think it would work either way and still be a good story

I'm interested at the prospect of it happening in Earth-2.

#20 Edited by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Assuming it's Dick under the cowl and not Damian/Ibn al Xu'ffasch. Strange how drastically things have changed in over the course of a year. I'd have never imagined DC would've been ballsy enough to pull off a move like this but I can't lie...I'm stoked.

#21 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@ReVamp: Assuming it's Dick under the cowl and not Damian/Ibn al Xu'ffasch. Strange how drastically things have changed in over the course of a year. I'd have never imagined DC would've been ballsy enough to pull off a move like this but I can't lie...I'm stoked.

Didn't get a PM of this. Shakes fist.

Yeah, that's true, I really hope that its Dick but I doubt its Damian because for that to be true then the world would be something like 20 years older, which doesn't appeal to me all that much...

#22 Posted by Deprive (49 posts) - - Show Bio

I came across a panel online, it was a conversation between Tim and Dick. Tim was talking with Dick about his romances. Donna was listed. I haven't found that comic that that panel belonged too...

#23 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deprive: Are you talking about the scene from Nightwing #25?

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Deprive: Are you talking about the scene from Nightwing #25?

Yeah. There's also one that Barbara talks to him about her while peeling an orange.

#25 Edited by Aros001 (699 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Deprive: Are you talking about the scene from Nightwing #25?

I'm loving Tim's level of sass here. Also, he missed a few. This picture should help.

To everyone who calls female superheros sluts, ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Dick Grayson!

I would hate this guy if he wasn't so damn likable.

#26 Posted by OrangeBat (213 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001 said:

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Deprive: Are you talking about the scene from Nightwing #25?

I'm loving Tim's level of sass here. Also, he missed a few. This picture should help.

To everyone who calls female superheros sluts, ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Dick Grayson!

I would hate this guy if he wasn't so damn likable.

DIck Grayson The Super-Stud.

And you just know that Donna's getting some after everyone else clears out.

#27 Posted by vernierhawk001 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

I have come to the conclusion that I think they work together better than any other pairing I have seen him in (like how it developed sort of organically. Also still hurting from what's going on in Batman Beyond....lol)

#28 Edited by youknowwhattodo (1467 posts) - - Show Bio

Marv Wolfman did consider pairing up Dick and Donna romantically during the New Teen Titans but eventually changed his mind and they ended up with a platonic relationship. By the way, it's becoming increasingly rare to see platonic couples in comics and it was amazing that DC were able to resist the temptation of pairing Dick and Donna romantically. I thought that their relationship was stronger for it because if they were to date and break up, because that's what 95% of comic book couples do, their bond wouldn't have been as strong.

In terms of would I mind having them paired together in the new 52, eeehhhhh, Wonderbat pairings don't work as well as many in the fandom think it does, Batman/Wonder Woman was pretty bad and Tim/Cassie was awkward IMO so I don't think Dick and Donna would work well even in the new continuity, unless she's coming back drastically different. While she's going to make her debut in Multiversity this October, she'll likely be debuting in Superman/Wonder Woman sometime in the future but we don't know as of yet what she's going to be (imagine if she was the child of Clark/Diana from the future 0.0). If we were to see them interact it will likely be when Grayson is over because it's definitely a weird pivot to go from Superman/Wonder Woman to Grayson.

DC don't you dare put her in RHATO.

#29 Edited by OrangeBat (213 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo said:

Marv Wolfman did consider pairing up Dick and Donna romantically during the New Teen Titans but eventually changed his mind and they ended up with a platonic relationship. By the way, it's becoming increasingly rare to see platonic couples in comics and it was amazing that DC were able to resist the temptation of pairing Dick and Donna romantically. I thought that their relationship was stronger for it because if they were to date and break up, because that's what 95% of comic book couples do, their bond wouldn't have been as strong.

In terms of would I mind having them paired together in the new 52, eeehhhhh, Wonderbat pairings don't work as well as many in the fandom think it does, Batman/Wonder Woman was pretty bad and Tim/Cassie was awkward IMO so I don't think Dick and Donna would work well even in the new continuity, unless she's coming back drastically different. While she's going to make her debut in Multiversity this October, she'll likely be debuting in Superman/Wonder Woman sometime in the future but we don't know as of yet what she's going to be (imagine if she was the child of Clark/Diana from the future 0.0). If we were to see them interact it will likely be when Grayson is over because it's definitely a weird pivot to go from Superman/Wonder Woman to Grayson.

DC don't you dare put her in RHATO.

Eh, the whole, "we're like brother and sister, we already love each other too much" is cliche enough already, and not just in comics. Also, I don't think it's valid to compare Batman/Wonder Woman and Robin/Wonder Girl to Dick/Donna, since the latter have a far more different and closer dynamic than the former two. Plus, it's way better than the gag-worthy Roy/Donna pairing.

#30 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1467 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, the whole, "we're like brother and sister, we already love each other too much" is cliche enough already, and not just in comics. Also, I don't think it's valid to compare Batman/Wonder Woman and Robin/Wonder Girl to Dick/Donna, since the latter have a far more different and closer dynamic than the former two. Plus, it's way better than the gag-worthy Roy/Donna pairing.

Well I'm not totally against Dick/Donna, I do think that a romantic relationship between those two would be better than BM/WW, Tim/Cassie but I don't know by how much, especially in the new 52, they're likely coming to come from two separate worlds.

Personally, my favorite Donna pairing is her with Kyle Rayner, I really did wish DC explored that more.

#31 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

@orangebat said:

Eh, the whole, "we're like brother and sister, we already love each other too much" is cliche enough already, and not just in comics. Also, I don't think it's valid to compare Batman/Wonder Woman and Robin/Wonder Girl to Dick/Donna, since the latter have a far more different and closer dynamic than the former two. Plus, it's way better than the gag-worthy Roy/Donna pairing.

Well I'm not totally against Dick/Donna, I do think that a romantic relationship between those two would be better than BM/WW, Tim/Cassie but I don't know by how much, especially in the new 52, they're likely coming to come from two separate worlds.

Personally, my favorite Donna pairing is her with Kyle Rayner, I really did wish DC explored that more.

I liked Donna and Kyle, and would have liked it if they got together again down the line, sometime after the Sinestro Corps War; didn't care for Kyle/Natu at all. You could have both being a little older and more experienced, which can lead to a compeltely different kind of relationship.

I'll definitely thought that Dick and Donna were better off as extremely close friends/brother/sister, and I really don't think there's a lot of that in comics anymore; a male/female relationship/friendship where there's really no sexual tension anywhere, and the idea that they might get together at some point really doesn't exist.

#32 Posted by HushoftheWind (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo said:

@orangebat said:

Eh, the whole, "we're like brother and sister, we already love each other too much" is cliche enough already, and not just in comics. Also, I don't think it's valid to compare Batman/Wonder Woman and Robin/Wonder Girl to Dick/Donna, since the latter have a far more different and closer dynamic than the former two. Plus, it's way better than the gag-worthy Roy/Donna pairing.

Well I'm not totally against Dick/Donna, I do think that a romantic relationship between those two would be better than BM/WW, Tim/Cassie but I don't know by how much, especially in the new 52, they're likely coming to come from two separate worlds.

Personally, my favorite Donna pairing is her with Kyle Rayner, I really did wish DC explored that more.

I liked Donna and Kyle, and would have liked it if they got together again down the line, sometime after the Sinestro Corps War; didn't care for Kyle/Natu at all. You could have both being a little older and more experienced, which can lead to a compeltely different kind of relationship.

I'll definitely thought that Dick and Donna were better off as extremely close friends/brother/sister, and I really don't think there's a lot of that in comics anymore; a male/female relationship/friendship where there's really no sexual tension anywhere, and the idea that they might get together at some point really doesn't exist.

I agree with Dick and Donna being a strong opposite sex friendship and you're right they don't display that in comics hardly ever. It seems in comic when characters of the opposite sex get really close to each other, they are forced by unknown(writers) force of nature to hook just for a romp. I was honestly hoping that Superman and Diana would have more a solid friendship but nope. He's Strong, she's strong, they look somewhat similar, lets put them together b/c reasons.

#33 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

@hushofthewind Pretty much. The idea seems to be "Well he's super attractive, she's super attractive, why would they not get together?!" No actual thought into relationship dynamics at all.

#34 Edited by vernierhawk001 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

@hushofthewind Pretty much. The idea seems to be "Well he's super attractive, she's super attractive, why would they not get together?!" No actual thought into relationship dynamics at all.

I agree with both of you but here is the one thing that I think would have made the Dick/Donna thing better: the fact that their relationship actually developed organically in comics. There are literally years, possibly decades where their friendship was developing from the early titan days until they took over the JL and beyond. To see something grow that like seems to be kind of unheard. I mean, most of us can tell who is going to get together with who because its set up that way but i feel as though this kind of happened naturally (though i did read there was a romance planned at some point). So while I would be content just to see them have their amazing friendship, I also think it would have been cool to explore. Then again, maybe not because some writer would undoubtedly come along and either "kill" one of them or make uneccessary drama)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.