Dick Grayson capability thread

#1 Posted by Saren (25696 posts) - - Show Bio

I was planning to start off with a flurry of obvious sexual innuendoes, but I couldn't come up with enough dick jokes. Screw it.

The idea for this thread is blatantly ripped off from inspired by SlimJ87D's Bucky-Cap respect thread. Thought I'd make a respect thread for another famous sidekick. I had a fairly large amount of material to draw upon. Every issue of the Nightwing solo series, all his Outsiders appearances, all his Titans appearances, a major chunk (80% or so) of his Post-Crisis appearances in Batman and Detective Comics, his appearances in JLA v4 as Batman, and his appearances in less likely titles like Superman and Flash. What I lack are his Teen Titans appearances, I have none of those, and so if anyone is in possession of them feel free to add them to this thread.

One of the attempted purposes of this thread is to try and educate people on exactly what Dick's level of skill/proficiency is. People either think he is on Batman's level (he's not) or they are just unsure about where he stands and thus place him at a lower level than where he's actually at.

So without further ado......

Dick as Robin

These are his earliest appearances, from his Robin days. Most of these are Pre-Crisis however, so I have added only the Post-Crisis Robin appearances. And I don't have many of those, unfortunately.

Robin: Year One #1: Bullet dodging. Note Batman's comments about Dick's speed and agility.

Robin: Year One #1: Defeats Mad Hatter and some Chinese guy.

Robin: Year One #2: Defeats Blockbuster.

Robin: Year One #3: Defeats Mr. Freeze.

Robin: Year One #3: Defeats four muggers in a minute and fifty three seconds. Shrike lists out some of the styles Dick displayed while doing so: aikido, judo, savate and capoeira.

Robin: Year One #4: Defeats Two-Face.

Batgirl: Year One #8: Takes down the dreaded Condiment King! He had his own CV feature and everything!

Nightwing #101: Defeats Clayface (Hagen, not Karlo) with an electorang and some quick thinking.

Superman #700: Dick's such a pimp, he doesn't do his own homework. He gets Superman to do it for him!

Moving on......

Dick as Nightwing

This covers the period between 1996-2009, right up until he became Batman. It's the biggest chunk of his feats.

Nightwing #1: Can hold his breath underwater for 4 minutes at a stretch.

Nightwing #8: One of his gadgets at work. Hits Blockbuster with a 30K taser. He lost this fight though.

Nightwing #10: After getting gassed by Scarecrow and running through a nightmare in his head, he manages to overcome the fear toxin and whack Crane.

Nightwing #14: His outfit is electrically insulated and can tank a 50K shock.

Nightwing #14: Talks smack to the goddamn Batman. That's a feat in DC.

Nightwing #15: Rematch with Blockbuster.

Nightwing #18: Nightwing vs Deathstroke. This is mostly Dick embarrassing Deathstroke for a short while rather than a win/lose scenario. Dick himself admits that Slade could kill him without breaking a sweat. But he takes it to someone as fast and strong as Slade, and that's worth mentioning.

Nightwing #35: Defeats KGBeast. This feat is notable because Knyazev was stated to have the strength of four healthy men and mastery of several martial arts (in Batman #417), and has given Batman very good fights twice without losing either one (in Batman #418 and Batman #420).

Nightwing #52: Catwoman says Dick is slightly faster than Batman, and by snatching up that diamond he sorta proves he's faster than her too.

Nightwing #58: An injured Nightwing defeats Shrike while rescuing Black Canary at the same time.

Nightwing #74: Defeats Lady Vic and Brutale at the same time.

Nightwing #77: A display of his skill versus Tarantula's, in a fashion.

Nightwing #84: One-shots Tarantula while drugged and suffering from a Deathstroke-related gunshot wound to the arm.

Nightwing #93: Fights Blockbuster again and defeats/subdues him until Tarantula shows up and kills Desmond.

Nightwing #95: Defeats Copperhead with a net-ball thingamajig.

Nightwing #117: Nightwing vs Deathstroke, again.

Nightwing #152: Defeats Ra's al Ghul in a sword fight. The legitimacy of this feat is questionable since Dick has no prior swordsmanship feats that suggest he could contend with someone on Ra's level, but I've included it here because it's pretty much the only swordsmanship feat Dick's got. He has fought Ra's once before, in Detective Comics #700, but he was injured and thus lost quickly.

Outsiders #11: Sparring match with Arsenal.

Outsiders #16: Actual fight with Arsenal.

Outsiders: Five of a Kind #1: Nightwing vs Captain Boomerang, who has super speed.

Batman #600: Nightwing vs Batman.

Honestly, Dick should have done better than that.

Batman #637: Nightwing and Batman vs an Amazo prototype.

Detective Comics #677: Nightwing vs Jean-Paul Valley in the AzBat armor.

Detective Comics #680: Dick as Batman (this was during Prodigal) hits Two-Face's coin out of the air with a batarang. Decent accuracy feat.

Superman/Batman #55: Nightwing vs SuperBat. Dodging heat vision like that is a pretty decent agility feat.

Deathstroke the Terminator #14: Nightwing vs Deathstroke, a brief skirmish that Dick loses.

Flash #211: Holds Grodd for seven seconds, which is notable because the guy has 20 ton strength, freakish durability and is a complete savage to boot. Don't ask me why Grodd didn't simply use his telepathy.

Titans #13: Dodges a bolt from Starfire. Damage doesn't even see him move.

Titans #20: Tags and ties up a running Flash, however this was done mostly for comedic effect. Still...

Batman: Battle for the Cowl #3: Defeats Jason Todd and becomes the new Batman after Bruce's presumed death near the end of Final Crisis.

That's all I got. Next.

Dick as Batman

I couldn't decide to what to call this version of Dick. Can't call him Batman, there's only one Batman. Batwing's taken and Nightman sounds stupid. So I've decided to call him BatDick, partly because it amuses me, and partly because Dickman is a tad inappropriate.

Batman #704: Defeats Reaper.

Batman #705: BatDick and Peacock vs Sensei, the guy who wiped the floor with Bruce during The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul. Dick wins via tranquilizerangs.

Detective Comics #871: Bat finger-taser!

Detective Comics #873: Uses special armor to defeat a mutant Man-Bat on Venom.

Justice League of America #42: Puts some kind of glue thing on Atlas' face; it makes him temporarily blind.

Justice League: The Rise of Arsenal #3: Defeats Arsenal, who was on drugs that made him extra aggressive at the time. Note: Roy was also hallucinating that Dick was Prometheus.

Titans #29: BatDick vs Deathstroke.

And finally.....

Dick as Nightwing (again)

Pink slip, beyotch. Go back to your old job.

Nightwing #1-2: Nightwing vs Saiko. He uses his new 150,000 volt electric shock. It doesn't drop Saiko, presumably because he has the regenerative abilities of the Talons. Fight goes back and forth until Saiko uses his wrist rocket to escape.

Nightwing #3: Uses his suit's comm transmitter to shake off radiotelepathy.

Nightwing #4: Uses the shock again against Spinebender.

Nightwing #5: Nightwing vs a rhyming demon.

#2 Posted by Saren (25696 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing #7: Defeats Saiko.

Nightwing #8: Defeats a random Talon who claimed to have been trained by the best fighters on the planet.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (58070 posts) - - Show Bio

Vampy is going to love this.
BB

#4 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this. Nightwing rocks/

#5 Posted by TDK_1997 (14900 posts) - - Show Bio

Great thread.

#6 Posted by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome! Great way to advertise some of his best comics (best because they contain his best feats), more threads like this please!

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Vampy is going to love this.
BB

Heh.

@CitizenBane: Good work. I was planning on making one of these in June. I guess I'll end up adding it here instead. xP

#8 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Exemplary job.

#9 Posted by Trodorne (2590 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this thread. the justice that this man deserves. To me he was a better batman than bruce. in my own opinion.

#10 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got a ton of New Teen Titans back issues to dig into, I'll be sure to drop in any gems I find

#11 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Jodez said:

This is awesome! Great way to advertise some of his best comics (best because they contain his best feats), more threads like this please!

This.

@CitizenBane:

How many Nightwing comics have you read?

m99

#12 Posted by Z3RO180 (6591 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: is dick open to killing?? i olny ask because he kills that talon.

#13 Posted by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick didn't kill the Talon. The Talon is not only already dead he also has a healing factor so Dick just shut the Talon down.

#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane: Forgot how awesome Dick was as Batman. Anyway can you make one of Superman please?
#15 Posted by Saren (25696 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

No, the Talons in general were getting killed by all the heroes because they were already dead to begin with, so they didn't fall under the "no killing" rule. Batman, Batwing, Wonder Woman and Damian were all willing to use lethal or potentially lethal force against them.

@Primmaster64 said:

@CitizenBane: Forgot how awesome Dick was as Batman. Anyway can you make one of Superman please?

The problem with making a capability thread for someone like Superman is that he has a mountain of showings to go through, we're talking thousands of comics post-Crisis alone. I might make a more basic capability thread somewhere down the line with sections for speed, strength, durability, etc, but it'll take time to gather all of that.

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane props for the thread.
#17 Posted by Saren (25696 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: @ReVamp: @VampireSelektor: @Trodorne: @Vance Astro: Thanks, appreciated.

#18 Posted by Z3RO180 (6591 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: so the bats are fighting super zombie ninjas of doom? When is this out in trade i must read it :P

#19 Posted by Billy Batson (58070 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@CitizenBane: so the bats are fighting super zombie ninjas of doom? When is this out in trade i must read it :P

Batman: Court of Owls
BB

#20 Posted by notquitevarsity (157 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome. I've never seen the one where Dick gets Supes to do his homework. Just another reason why he's my favorite character.

#21 Edited by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

Yes. He's killed the joker, pretty sure he's destroyed aliens(alongside the Titans), killed Batwoman in B&R, and has allowed the death of Blockbuster. Out of spite/jealousy he's watched on as a fellow circus trouper(The Prodigy) was beat to near death because he was a bigger draw than the Flying Graysons. He's threatened to kill Slade several times, and in a recent Titans run(the one b4 the reboot) revealed that he should've murdered Deathstroke when he had the chance. Dick is such a badass.

#22 Posted by vernierhawk001 (538 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if anyone posted this but what about 12-year old Robin kicking Hal Jordan's butt (depowered) and stealing his ring?

#23 Posted by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin Dick felt awful about everything you named. He is not now and will never be a killer. He has had moments of weakness but a killer at heart he is 100% not.

#24 Posted by Saren (25696 posts) - - Show Bio

@vernierhawk001 said:

Not sure if anyone posted this but what about 12-year old Robin kicking Hal Jordan's butt (depowered) and stealing his ring?

Non-canon if you're talking about the incident from All-Star Batman and Robin.

#25 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

A killer he is not, but Dick has been known to bluff murder in the pursuit of his goals. There was that time where he threatened to shoot a criminal who kidnapped an infant Lian Harper. More recently, Gorilla Grodd caved under pressure when Dick threatened to release his people-cum-troops into the ocean.

#26 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by richardjohngrayson (436 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

A killer he is not, but Dick has been known to bluff murder in the pursuit of his goals. There was that time where he threatened to shoot a criminal who kidnapped an infant Lian Harper. More recently, Gorilla Grodd caved under pressure when Dick threatened to release his people-cum-troops into the ocean.

agreed.

#28 Posted by darktiger (4619 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Epic Thread

#29 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@vernierhawk001 said:

There's also the time Dick gave Hal the Sweet Chin Music.

#30 Posted by Nightwingdg (83 posts) - - Show Bio

In a few days we should have pages of Nightwing holding his own against Lady Shiva.

#31 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone read Batman issue 14 yet?

Dick and Bruce have a lengthy conversation, doesn't so much cover his capability in terms of physical things but rather mental aspects (etc). I'll post up the full convo later on, but in short it basically confirms Dick's status as Bruce's right hand man and most trusted ally (in other words, f**k you Tim Drake).

#32 Posted by vernierhawk001 (538 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@CitizenBane said:

@vernierhawk001 said:

There's also the time Dick gave Hal the Sweet Chin Music.

Sorry that I said the whole thing about fighting Hal...again. Just realized that I mentioned the All Star incident again

#33 Posted by ComicStooge (13087 posts) - - Show Bio

Would Dick as Robin vs Damian be fair?

Looking at this respect thread, Dick's got skillz, even as Robin.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.