Dick Grayson: Age, Background, Interpertation and Standing.

Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to another blog on Dick Grayson. Hurrah. Let's all laugh and cry. <.<

Looking through recent events I have found a couple of things to be not be up to my liking. Now, I realize that it doesn't mean that it should be to my liking, I just like ranting. After all, what would the world be without ranting comic book fans... Well, there would hardly be an industry for sure, because all comic book fans love to complain, and they'll only stop on the day that MTV "plays videos. That was a joke, haha" (Hi 5 if you got that reference).

So, three or four things have been concerning me about Dick Grayson in the new reboot:

• His Age - Dick Grayson is portrayed a young adult in Nightwing #1, well into his twenties. Now I don't have much beef with anyone if they want to make him 20 or 21, I'd like that just fine. I don't really care when it comes down to that. But the man we saw in #1 was definitely strong, with a broad back and shoulder. In the Batman #1 (which was amazing, it blew away my expectations), he is portrayed with a smaller, less broad back and smaller shoulder, as well as just smaller in general. Now, I'm not saying that I don't digg that, but I don't digg that. I mean, the minimum requirement for him has to be at least 18 years old, which I think he is, but he looked a bit too small for it. Though I'm sure that all of these Artistic inconsistencies are just anomalies that have to do with the artistic style.
  • His Background - Now, I'd like to get to know some things of the background, what remains and what is changed in the DCnU. I mean, we know that Superheroes have only been around for so long, so I want to know exactly what happened in between that timespan. First of all, what age was he when his parents died? I'd like to know, since in some cases its 9, in other its 13, that latter of which is the better and the most likely option. Furthermore, how long was he as Robin, how long before he became Nightwing? How long before He became Batman? How long was Bruce dead?
  • Armor - Is it me, or is Dick the only one in the Bat-Family without armor? I mean, Bruce has all of this technology and stuff and I don't mean to say that I want Dick with a massive Bulky armor, because its not really his thing and everyone knows that. But if Batman needs mini-missiles and has all of this gadgetry, Dick needs some of it too, even if its as simple as something remeniscient of Daredevil's Billy Clubs. I'm not asking for something comlicated, but I want something to really define him from the rest of the Bat-Family. I don't mean personality wise though... I mean, power wise. This wasn't a problem before because every Bat member was around the same, but now Batman has armor and missiles and Red Robin has wings, so I want to see this :P
  • Standing - After the book of Batman #1, we all have had at an interesting revelation. I'm not going to spoil what it is, even though in normal cases I would, I think that the book was just too good to pass it up and I think that it needs more people reading it (lol). However I'll say that I'd like to know how Dick stands with other people. Its obvious from Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 that he doesn't have the best relationship with Starfire anymore and I'm not expecting him and Jason to start a bromance because the author felt it mixed. Though I'm interested in how he and Roy are going to be... I also want to know how he is going to end up with Batgirl, though we know they'll be having a crossover soon, which I'm mega pumped for! Furthermore, I'd like to see Wally West show up and see how both of these two mofoes are doing together... Furthermore, I want to know if he has any relationship with Superman whatsoever and even though I was EXTREMELY against it in the pre- Revamp era, I haven't taken my stance on a Nightwing x Supergirl relationship just yet. I think it has quite a lot of potential, since Supergirl hates humans and what not and Nightwing is possibly the best example of ol'Flesh and Blood in the New 52.

These question just breed more question. LOL. I'm liking the Revamp on the Bat-Side so far though...

#1 Posted by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp:

Appearance - I agree with you on all accounts. I always just think of him as the one drawn in his solo. He looked cool in Batman but he did look to small. The Nightwing issue portrayed him just like he was prior to becoming batman i think. Maybe slightly bulkier.

Armor - you mentioned you want him to have something of his own. He should still have his Escrima sticks. (shown in his bio pic). Also if you read his bio about his outfits as Nightwing and as batman, there is more than meets the eye.

As Nightwing; His Nightwing costume has an excellent protection against damage, made of Nomex fire-proof, triple-weaved material that has been lined with kevlar and is also insulated against electricity. His suit is made for his fighting style of "move more get hit less" and has less armor to facilitate this, though he can add armor when facing fast and strong foes. The suit is light sensitive, darkening when there is more light in the area. His mask included a built-in radio transmitter/receiver and Starlite night-vision lenses. Each one of his gauntlets and boots contain eight compartments in which he can store items. They have built into them a self-destruct feature such as the ones in Batman's utility belt. Each gauntlet's sections contains a lot of equipment, such as sonic or smoke pellets, modified batarangs (Wing-Dings), knockout gas capsules, and throwable tracers. The right gauntlet also contains a 100,000-volt stun gun. His boot compartments carry important equipment such as flares, a rebreather , a mini-computer equipped with fax, modem, GPS and a mini-disk rewritable drive. Also items like lock picks, a first-aid kit, a mini-cellphone, flexi-cuffs, antitoxin assortment, signal flares, wireless listening devices and a small halogen flashlight. Nightwing carries in the back of his costume a pair of Escrima sticks.

As Batman; costume is made of a special material that Batman created. In his beginning days as Batman, he took so much protection off of his suit, so that he could be more agile like his previous Nightwing persona. However, this eventually came back to him when he got drugged by Two-face. After the confrontation against Two-face, Dick added more of the protection material for the suit. His cowl includes a built in radio/wifi receiver, it also includes nightvision. On his Bat-gloves/gauntlets, he has two Bat-spikes on his glove instead of three like Bruce's gloves. They are made with kevlar, so that bullets, knives, and other weapons don't cut his hands. Also on his Boots, he has them made with kevlar too. Even as Batman, Dick still carries a pair of Escrima Sticks to boost his chances at winning against a superhuman or meta villain

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor dick, where is the originality

Nightwing
#3 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

@ReVamp:

Appearance - I agree with you on all accounts. I always just think of him as the one drawn in his solo. He looked cool in Batman but he did look to small. The Nightwing issue portrayed him just like he was prior to becoming batman i think. Maybe slightly bulkier.

Armor - you mentioned you want him to have something of his own. He should still have his Escrima sticks. (shown in his bio pic). Also if you read his bio about his outfits as Nightwing and as batman, there is more than meets the eye.

As Nightwing; His Nightwing costume has an excellent protection against damage, made of Nomex fire-proof, triple-weaved material that has been lined with kevlar and is also insulated against electricity. His suit is made for his fighting style of "move more get hit less" and has less armor to facilitate this, though he can add armor when facing fast and strong foes. The suit is light sensitive, darkening when there is more light in the area. His mask included a built-in radio transmitter/receiver and Starlite night-vision lenses. Each one of his gauntlets and boots contain eight compartments in which he can store items. They have built into them a self-destruct feature such as the ones in Batman's utility belt. Each gauntlet's sections contains a lot of equipment, such as sonic or smoke pellets, modified batarangs (Wing-Dings), knockout gas capsules, and throwable tracers. The right gauntlet also contains a 100,000-volt stun gun. His boot compartments carry important equipment such as flares, a rebreather , a mini-computer equipped with fax, modem, GPS and a mini-disk rewritable drive. Also items like lock picks, a first-aid kit, a mini-cellphone, flexi-cuffs, antitoxin assortment, signal flares, wireless listening devices and a small halogen flashlight. Nightwing carries in the back of his costume a pair of Escrima sticks.

As Batman; costume is made of a special material that Batman created. In his beginning days as Batman, he took so much protection off of his suit, so that he could be more agile like his previous Nightwing persona. However, this eventually came back to him when he got drugged by Two-face. After the confrontation against Two-face, Dick added more of the protection material for the suit. His cowl includes a built in radio/wifi receiver, it also includes nightvision. On his Bat-gloves/gauntlets, he has two Bat-spikes on his glove instead of three like Bruce's gloves. They are made with kevlar, so that bullets, knives, and other weapons don't cut his hands. Also on his Boots, he has them made with kevlar too. Even as Batman, Dick still carries a pair of Escrima Sticks to boost his chances at winning against a superhuman or meta villain

His escrima sticks the way they are, are just not enough. If his Escrima sticks became like DDs Billy Clubs and added some other slight twist, it'd be okay. But on their own they aren't that great. I also know that there is more than meets the eye, but it is not what I meant, that's all old stuff. He needs something new, fresh, original that also has some technological backing. Again like the mini missels and the wings. IMO, of course.

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: He has used his escrima sticks as grappling hooks before
#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92080 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome blog!

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@ReVamp: He has used his escrima sticks as grappling hooks before

...Yeah, but just not with... Originality y'know? It like something... anyone could do? I'm just a fanboy who want something fresh I guess... :P Don't get me wrong, I loved Nightwing#1 it was one of the best comics in the new 52...

@cattlebattle said:

Poor dick, where is the originality

Nightwing

I'd say to go like Terry, but the wings got taken. Though that reminds me for some wierd reason, I love the Iron Spider design. :P

@The Dark Huntress said:

Awesome blog!

Thanks! I'm really glad you liked it! :P

#7 Posted by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: He could always make them so they connect together in to a bow staff and/or chain together to make nunchucks. He used to have the glider design built in to his suit so he could still glide like Batman and red robin. He was kind of ahead of the game last time he was Nightwing. Do you want something other than that too? I just read up on DD's billy clubs and they dont so overly impressive or at least not any more than the escrima sticks

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

@ReVamp: He could always make them so they connect together in to a bow staff and/or chain together to make nunchucks. He used to have the glider design built in to his suit so he could still glide like Batman and red robin. He was kind of ahead of the game last time he was Nightwing. Do you want something other than that too? I just read up on DD's billy clubs and they dont so overly impressive or at least not any more than the escrima sticks

Yeah, certainly a possibility. And while the billy clubs themselves aren't impressive, the way that Matt uses them, together with his acrobatics makes them interesting. I'd want something technological too... Maybe a gaunlet with something, or a claw or whatever... just something :P

#9 Posted by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: i really think i would just be happy if he had his glider design back and maybe a more advance motorcycle. He should be given the flying bat mobile that him and Damien used. Bruce seems to have a lot of toys on hand anyways

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

@ReVamp: i really think i would just be happy if he had his glider design back and maybe a more advance motorcycle. He should be given the flying bat mobile that him and Damien used. Bruce seems to have a lot of toys on hand anyways

Yeah. His glider + Jet boots, rocket boots or whatever they're called and a advanced motorcycle would do it. One that could fly.

#11 Posted by daredevil21134 (9085 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I remember Kyle Higgins saying he's 21 now

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

I think I remember Kyle Higgins saying he's 21 now

Really? Well then let me say, 21=/=The height he was portrayed in.

#13 Posted by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: that would be cool. Something similar to this would be cool. Shown in the movie "the Island"

He needs vehicles that are small, maneuverable, and agile.

#14 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF:Yeah, but with wheels on the ground.

#15 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

My biggest concern is that Dick should be bigger than he is (lol). I think they made his body-type a bit too narrow and short compared to Bruce's in Batman #1. As for the armored look, I'd say his gauntlets and boots look pretty armored. As for technology, I kind of like him being low-tech, but they should give him back his kickass glider for moving around quickly and his batons, just because those batons were cool.

I am curious to see what kind of mobile "bat-trailer" he's going to have as a part of the circus.

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

My biggest concern is that Dick should be bigger than he is (lol). I think they made his body-type a bit too narrow and short compared to Bruce's in Batman #1. As for the armored look, I'd say his gauntlets and boots look pretty armored. As for technology, I kind of like him being low-tech, but they should give him back his kickass glider for moving around quickly and his batons, just because those batons were cool.

I am curious to see what kind of mobile "bat-trailer" he's going to have as a part of the circus.

I don't care much for the armored look, what I mean is that he should have some sort of Higher tech than he currently has. We've seen what Bats can do, it would pit Dick at a disadvantage if he didn't, which would kind of suck. Though, it would be cool if they did something of the sort with specialities:

• Batman - Technology (ie missles, lenses etc)
  • Nightwing - Fighter, fights the best of the four due to acrobatics.
  • Red Robin - Flight advantage.
  • Damian Wayne - Don't really know, but something of the likes of Lethality, suchs as his projectiles etc.

Just a random thought :P

Barabra could be the most intelligent, because let's face it, she is.

#17 Edited by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: I've always broken the bat-kicks down by theme, where each is an emphasized aspect of the core Bruce Wayne figure:

They get more focused the further down the ladder you go, but seeing as the first two, Dick and Babs, get the broadest categories, I kind of like that they both focus less on gadgets and more on their natural abilities. I know that's not quite the list of gimmicks you were looking for, you were going for an actual prop or weapon, but this is just how I've always seen them.

As for actual weapons, I'd break it down by:

#18 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in seeing who this Raya girl is...

#19 Edited by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg:

Yeah, I know. But the thing is, Batman is all of them. I'd like him to be more all around in all of them, but having a sort of speciality. Not to say he couldn't go head on with Dick or Barbara in terms of their respective attributes, but that they'd be better in them in general. :P

@RainEffect said:

I'm interested in seeing who this Raya girl is...

The circus girl? I want them to have a relationship. Brief, but I want one :P. I mean, I'm a supporter of Babs and Dick, but I like the character, I think she's interesting and I think Dick needs a Vicki Vale, of sorts :P

#20 Posted by benjoe11 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

On the standings part, wasn't Dick the best man in Wally's wedding?

#21 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@benjoe11 said:

On the standings part, wasn't Dick the best man in Wally's wedding?

They're best friends, or were Pre-Revamp... What of it?

#22 Posted by JackFellontim (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@DEGRAAF said:

@ReVamp:

His escrima sticks the way they are, are just not enough. If his Escrima sticks became like DDs Billy Clubs and added some other slight twist, it'd be okay. But on their own they aren't that great. I also know that there is more than meets the eye, but it is not what I meant, that's all old stuff. He needs something new, fresh, original that also has some technological backing. Again like the mini missels and the wings. IMO, of course.

Ya, I was always underwhelmed by the sticks. I always thought he would go better with a staff, like tim. Also, his weapons should by technologically advanced, like adding electricity to the mix.

#23 Posted by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

@JackFellontim: I always liked that he had simple tech. He doesnt need all the tech and gadgets to take people down. Give him two sticks and he will take down a mob.I would like too see his Escrima sticks also be a type of cattle prod.

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

@JackFellontim: I always liked that he had simple tech. He doesnt need all the tech and gadgets to take people down. Give him two sticks and he will take down a mob.I would like too see his Escrima sticks also be a type of cattle prod.

I agree with Jack. The fact that he can do it, doesn't mean he should be limited to it, like Batman who can do the same thing but now has a high-tech suit.

#25 Posted by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@DEGRAAF said:

I agree with Jack. The fact that he can do it, doesn't mean he should be limited to it, like Batman who can do the same thing but now has a high-tech suit.

see i dont know why but i keep that separate. I agree he should have a high tech suit but not use all the high tech gadgets. I would like to see him use the suit Bruce used while he was watching/testing everyone to see if they were good enough to be a part of Batman Inc.

I think the problem is that unless he comes up with, funds, and has someone new create it from him everyone still just gives the credit to Bruce. Even after he would make his own stuff people would say he got the idea from Batman so Bruce would still get the credit.

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF: I don't see how who gets credited is relevant. [No Offense]. I don't care if Bruce gets credited, as long as its part of Nightwing's standard equipment.

#27 Posted by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@DEGRAAF: I don't see how who gets credited is relevant. [No Offense]. I don't care if Bruce gets credited, as long as its part of Nightwing's standard equipment.

none taken. I know it shouldnt matter but for some reason i feel like if Dick doesnt get credit for his own stuff then i dont see why he should have or use them anyways. I guess im just tired of people think he is just a Batman replica/wannabe.

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF: Yeah, I disagree, but OK.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.