Dear Kyle Higgins

• 59 results
#51 Edited by richardjohngrayson (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle Higgins shared what would have been if he had another year on Nightwing
saying:

"The search for Zucco was originally going to be much longer, delving into the mask killer history/mystery of Chicago. The Prankster-- who was not initially part of the story-- was a wild card. A free agent who came to Chicago/put on a mask because of Nightwing's arrival there. The main "villain" of the story was Ghostwalker... the former sidekick of Aether. He was essentially the Robin of Chicago. In the past, it was going to turn out that Ghostwalker's identity had been found out... which lead some bad guys to kill his family. Ghostwalker hunted the bad guys down... and killed them. This brought Ghostwalker into conflict with his mentor. Ghostwalker and Aether came to blows... and Ghostwalker killed Aether. The rest of the heroes came after Ghostwalker. It's here that Ghostwalker realized how much the "mask" had ruined his life... and how much the masks ruined the city. Ghostwalker vowed no more masks in Chicago... and has murdered every mask that has come to the city since.

Until Nightwing.

Ultimately, things were going to come to a head in Chicago in a big chaotic third act... that forced Nightwing to SAVE Tony Zucco from Prankster/Ghostwalker.

The next year was going to feature Tony Zucco getting acquitted for the Flying Graysons murder. My idea was to turn Zucco into Nightwing's Kingpin... with Ghostwalker as his agent/Bullseye.

Then, as Nightwing's presence grew in Chicago, William Cobb was going to come to Chicago and start a new Brotherhood of the Wing (that was the temporary name)-- a Court of Owls type organization built around Nightwing. "

He continued :

"Oh, I should also mention that Dick's transition from Robin to Nightwing was going to be because Zucco popped back up in Gotham (to make contact with Sonia). Dick/Bruce caught wind of it and Dick wanted to go after him. But Bruce forbade him from doing it (he was worried about Dick getting carried away. Going over the edge).

So, Dick quit. Created a new identity (Nightwing) to hunt down Zucco. Which he did... and Zucco died of a heart attack in front of him (in a scene similar to Dark Victory). I was going to get into how Zucco faked the heart attack obviously, too. But the real draw of this part was that it pulled the Nightwing identity (and the creation of it) AWAY from Batman a bit... and centered it on the man who killed Dick's parents. Which, if you're trying to define Dick Grayson outside of "used to be Robin," I think is a good place to start."

Source: http://z9.invisionfree.com/NightWing_Forums/index.php?showtopic=6856&st=0&#entry22003438

#52 Edited by vernierhawk001 (534 posts) - - Show Bio

A shame he didnt have the time to develop this

#53 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

SMH fans just can't have nice things. These Batman events are just ruining Nightwing.

#54 Posted by RustyRoy (12636 posts) - - Show Bio

This is an awesome thread, fans are respectful and Kyle Higgins actually answered some of the questions, cool.

#55 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his work on Nightwing. It has to be my favorite book at DC aside from the Flash. I am sad to see it go. Hopefully it will be revived soon. I know Action Comics (or was it Superman) took a break from being published for awhile with the Death of Superman. Hopefully they'll just be taking a break until they bring back Dick as Nightwing or retitle Dick's book to a new identity (though keep Higgins and the numbering). His writing reminds of BTAS.

#56 Posted by JakeN7 (12294 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson: I can't believe you posted that. I am immensely depressed now. That story sounds incredibly epic, and I would've loved to read it.

Damn you again DC Editorial!!!

#57 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle Higgins shared what would have been if he had another year on Nightwing

saying:

"The search for Zucco was originally going to be much longer, delving into the mask killer history/mystery of Chicago. The Prankster-- who was not initially part of the story-- was a wild card. A free agent who came to Chicago/put on a mask because of Nightwing's arrival there. The main "villain" of the story was Ghostwalker... the former sidekick of Aether. He was essentially the Robin of Chicago. In the past, it was going to turn out that Ghostwalker's identity had been found out... which lead some bad guys to kill his family. Ghostwalker hunted the bad guys down... and killed them. This brought Ghostwalker into conflict with his mentor. Ghostwalker and Aether came to blows... and Ghostwalker killed Aether. The rest of the heroes came after Ghostwalker. It's here that Ghostwalker realized how much the "mask" had ruined his life... and how much the masks ruined the city. Ghostwalker vowed no more masks in Chicago... and has murdered every mask that has come to the city since.

Until Nightwing.

Ultimately, things were going to come to a head in Chicago in a big chaotic third act... that forced Nightwing to SAVE Tony Zucco from Prankster/Ghostwalker.

The next year was going to feature Tony Zucco getting acquitted for the Flying Graysons murder. My idea was to turn Zucco into Nightwing's Kingpin... with Ghostwalker as his agent/Bullseye.

Then, as Nightwing's presence grew in Chicago, William Cobb was going to come to Chicago and start a new Brotherhood of the Wing (that was the temporary name)-- a Court of Owls type organization built around Nightwing. "

He continued :

"Oh, I should also mention that Dick's transition from Robin to Nightwing was going to be because Zucco popped back up in Gotham (to make contact with Sonia). Dick/Bruce caught wind of it and Dick wanted to go after him. But Bruce forbade him from doing it (he was worried about Dick getting carried away. Going over the edge).

So, Dick quit. Created a new identity (Nightwing) to hunt down Zucco. Which he did... and Zucco died of a heart attack in front of him (in a scene similar to Dark Victory). I was going to get into how Zucco faked the heart attack obviously, too. But the real draw of this part was that it pulled the Nightwing identity (and the creation of it) AWAY from Batman a bit... and centered it on the man who killed Dick's parents. Which, if you're trying to define Dick Grayson outside of "used to be Robin," I think is a good place to start."

Source: http://z9.invisionfree.com/NightWing_Forums/index.php?showtopic=6856&st=0&#entry22003438

My God. It's a Nightwing fan's wet dream.

#58 Edited by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Atleast we have the closure, as a poster on the site mentioned. It was a helluva pitch, thanks for sharing Kyle. Have a cold one on me :beerchug:

#59 Posted by dcfan4ever (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow - "William Cobb was going to come to Chicago and start a new Brotherhood of the Wing (that was the temporary name)-- a Court of Owls type organization built around Nightwing." It will be awesome if DC picks up this idea and uses it even if the story doesn't take place in Chicago.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.